Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

McGinn Ton Up??

I was looking up Mcginn's stats and I was suprised to see that he has played 325 games for us, but he's not played a full game 154 times. Granted, some of those games he was subbed very late in the game, but not that many. He's scored 85 goals, which works out to be on average a goal every 298 mins ( His best was a goal every 149 mins in 12/13 ). And he's been on the bench and not played in that game only 7 times. He's been booked only 9 times and he's never been sent off. He's 33 now and not getting as much game time, so I really can't see him getting to the magic 100 goals. I would still put him as one of Aberdeen's legends.

I rather sense that this milestone will prove to be beyond McGinn unfortunately.

McGinn has been an extremely valuable player for us (particularly during his first spell) but I wouldn't go as far as to describe him as a legend to be honest.

The word legend for me is for guys like Harper, Miller & McLeish

1 hour ago, BigAl said:

1 hour ago, BigAl said:

The word legend for me is for guys like Harper, Miller & McLeish

Sadly Al, for a lot of younger supporters, McGinn would be a legend, as the haven't seen anything better.

My youngest classes Kenny McLean as a legend, because he went from us to the EPL with Norwich.

Will I see anybody in my lifetime hit a century at the club??  Been a supporter since 1991 so I'm guessing Eoin Jess, Adam Rooney, Duncan Shearer, Billy Dodds, Scott Booth, Darren Mackie are the only ones I've seen hit fifty plus nevermind the magical number of which I talk about.

2 hours ago, tup1 said:

Na, can't see him getting 100. Maybe if he'd not left for Korea when at his peak a few years ago, to play hardly any football.

In fairness Tup he only really missed playing for us for five months of one season but I guess if he'd had a purple patch during that time he would be sitting pretty close to the hundred.

Fourteen goals in fourteen minutes in the semi will ensure his 97th minute winner versus Hearts in the final at Hampden brings home the trophy for dons' legend Niall McGinn, at the same time reaching 100 goals for the club.

He'll be rested between the ties.

Edited by RicoS321

Its worth mentioning that McGinn had his best goalscoring form when he was playing up front for us. He chips in a reasonable amount of goals from midfield but goalscoring hasn't really been his main role since McInnes came in and he started playing on the wing.

Legend is over-used these days but as there is no fixed criteria I think its up to individual to decide who qualifies for it themselves. I think McGinn will always be a memorable player. Perhaps if we had won a couple more trophies and had some good european runs this team might have some players we could class as legends.

• Like 1