Author Topic: Who is your Sporting GOAT??????????  (Read 11479 times)

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 37
Re: Who is your Sporting GOAT??????????
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2018, 10:14:07 AM »
Aye Higgins was a wife beater and I'm sure issued a death threat to Dennis Taylor in the 80s. Cretin of a human being, undeniably a genius on occasion but ruined his life and health with alcohol and smoking.

Offline Garlogie_Granite

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 13
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2018, 11:43:53 AM »
Guys I wasn't meaning for the option in this Poll to be taken seriously.  As one said they are just people who might be considered as being best within their chosen career during my 30 years watching sport.  Always wondered whether given Sports Personality Of The Year this Sunday evening whether folk actually believe Snooker, Darts, Horse Racing, Cycling and Mixed Martial Arts are a valid nomination for somebody from that background to be included in such a list.
Erm yes, the fact they often get overlooked is more of an issue. The year Hamilton won it was an utter joke, not sure if that was the Rory year, anyway, SPOTY is a farce now.

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
  • Rating: 76
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2018, 02:16:35 PM »
The year Hamilton won it was an utter joke,

Exactly. Fucking plastic pitch cunts.

Offline KennyFuckinPowers

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 14
  • 2 Kinds of trouble in this world, living, dying.
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2018, 04:55:08 PM »
I read Stephen Hendry's autobiography recently which lifted the lid on some of the shit he'd say to follow pros. Then there's the fact he was banned multiple times for various assaults and death threats. Clearly unable to control his emotions to the detriment of those around him. But worst of all... Hun.

Aye, I mind watching an interview with Hendry, when Higgins was still around and playing, and he was spitting the dummy saying he wasn't participating in a certain event ( Can't remember the event ) if Higgins was. A few of the players had the same attitude as Hendry regarding that event. His Football affiliation has zero bearing on me, I genuinely never knew he was a Hun, just knew him through Snooker his his well documented off table personal issues. I just think he ruined himself with his drinking & Drugs, and struggled to cope with the way Snooker was progressing under Hearn, lots of rule changes and being under the spotlight even more.

His kid and ex-wife still hold him in a positive light, so perhaps they understood what he was going through, of course, that doesn't make assaulting a woman acceptable, but she seemed to still have love for him, plenty of interviews and the like to suggest so. And here is Hendry, with a snippet from that autobiography, angry at a few of his fellow pro's for not attending Higgins' funeral.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/stephen-hendry-reveals-alex-higgins-threatened-to-live-in-a-caravan-in-his-garden-harebrained-but-harmless-that-was-higgy-37305880.html
It's a math class, the whole deal. Just like every math class, there's a clown in the front, and everybody hates this clown because he raises his hand, he's answering all the questions. What do we do? Move on. Just fucking move on, ready or not. He's deciding we got to move on, he knows his math, I hadn't even figured out about Santa Claus yet.

Offline donsdaft

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: -53
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2018, 03:06:13 PM »
I nearly had a fight with him once but we were both too pished to take a swing at each other.

Offline tlg1903

• Captain
  • Rating: 55
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2018, 04:27:52 PM »
I would still say Henry is the greatest of all time for the 7 world titles.  I don't like ROS as person very much but I adore watching him play.  Imo he is the most naturally talented player so far and if he had Hendry or Davis temperament he would have eclipsed them long ago.

Would love to see mid 90's Hendry up against modern day ROS, that would be a hell of a match.
Decided to start a football blog, feel free to have a read here.

http://foxintheboxon.blogspot.co.uk/?view=flipcard

Offline tom_widdows

• Captain
  • Rating: 39
  • Miserable CĂșnt & Architectural Killjoy
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2018, 08:12:19 PM »
Id suggest replacing Ian Botham with Don Bradman

I also question having Hamilton instead of Senna or Schumacher
I'm a man, and as a man I crave disappointment.

That's why I support Aberdeen Football Club & Scotland.

Offline kiriakovisthenewstrachan

• First Team
  • Rating: 10
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2019, 08:50:46 AM »
Noticed recently there seems to be a real obsession in mentioning that someone is the best player of all time whenever a sporting event is on the box.

Cannot seem to watch a fitba match involving Messi without them eluding to it and it happened numerous times during the Masters golf the other week.  But the snooker, these last two weeks, bloody hell...........seemed like every time they cut to the studio, whether it was BBC or Eurosport they insisted on blowing smoke up someone's arse whether it was Davis, Hendry, O'Sullivan or Higgins.  Every line seemed to be "if he's not the best of all time, certainly in the top two or three".

Even Hazel Irvine was at pains to point out that it was the greatest final of all time.  Don't know if she noticed one player won by 9 frames so it wasn't exactly gripping viewing.  The quality of play was not in doubt but there have been easily at least half a dozen better finals.

Gary Neville and Carragher were at it last night as well saying Kompany, Aguero and Silva must be Man City's best three players ever.  Did they even see any of their games pre 1990 to be able to judge?