Author Topic: Scott Wright  (Read 4373 times)

Offline TheDeeDon

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 15
Re: Scott Wright
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2019, 12:07:55 PM »
For me having a manager at the helm for 6 years means we should be in a position to promote youth from within, if they are not good enough then fine, but I don't think we have ever seen enough of our kids over the years to see if they can make it or not.  The even bigger puzzle for me is how he will give chances to kids from other teams over ones we have taken through ourselves.

We as a club need to be producing our own players to benefit us both on the pitch and by generating additional revenue through bringing in transfer fees, or even being good enough to win titles and cups on a regular basis.

Writing them off after a few appearances doesn't sit well with me.

Offline RicoS321

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 71
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2019, 12:35:22 PM »
Writing them off after a few appearances doesn't sit well with me.

I actually wouldn't mind that. For example, I don't think Ross will be good enough, nor Rogers. I think that we have to be able to write off players - and even get that wrong - quite quickly. To me, there's a responsibility to the youngster too and that can sometimes mean telling them to keep trying elsewhere/go down a level or whatever. We seem to want to have it both ways though, by keeping them on longish contracts and then spend 54 games as an unused sub.

I actually think that the way we treat our "failed" youngsters is vital to the success of our succesful youngsters too. If we're getting rid of a young player, we need to do all we can to find them another club and help them in their future career. We don't want to be in the position that we were a few years back where we appeared to just drop players (a lot of players) on a whim. If a player - like Ryan Fraser for example - sees his teammates treated as cash-cows then he's not going to give a shite about signing a new contract to ensure that the club gets some dosh for him. We need to foster an attitude that says that yer kid will be well treated at our club (we've already got an advantage over Celtic in this regard...) regardless of success.

Offline kiriakovisthenewstrachan

• First Team
  • Rating: 9
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2019, 12:45:30 PM »
It's maybe an attitude thing with Wright.  Let's hope this loan move gives him a kick up the arse that his career needs so that when he returns, he can push to get into the first team on a regular basis - it worked out well for McKenna after he returned.

The lack of desire to work hard in the younger generation worries me a lot.  Too much too young is a phrase banded about more and more and I think it applies a lot to these young players.

Maybe being sent out on loan and the realisation that the time they have left to make it at the top level is slipping away may just be the jolt that some of them need.

Offline TheDeeDon

• First Team Regular
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2019, 12:49:29 PM »
It's maybe an attitude thing with Wright.  Let's hope this loan move gives him a kick up the arse that his career needs so that when he returns, he can push to get into the first team on a regular basis - it worked out well for McKenna after he returned.

The lack of desire to work hard in the younger generation worries me a lot.  Too much too young is a phrase banded about more and more and I think it applies a lot to these young players.

Maybe being sent out on loan and the realisation that the time they have left to make it at the top level is slipping away may just be the jolt that some of them need.

Same thing happened with MacGuire and Pawlett also when they went out on loan and came back better players, so fingers crossed it happens with Wright, up to him I suppose.

Offline ayrshire_don74

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: -115
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2019, 01:04:40 PM »
can we send GMS out on loan...
MR GRUMPY IS HERE

Offline RicoS321

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2019, 01:28:22 PM »

It's also a heap of nonsense. Some people don't work hard. That's always been the case. If Ian Robertson had just worked a bit harder he could have been a better left back. If Dennis Law had pushed himself just that little bit further he could have ended up at the dons. In reality, there are very few people of any generation who actually reach their potential in life. There are numerous examples (McKenna, Fraser, Jack, Shinnie etc) of young lads who work very hard and make the grade so the generic "lack of desire to work hard in the younger generation" doesn't stand up to any scrutiny whatsoever. Look at the young kids striking over climate change because their parents and parents' parents fucked up everything for them. It's just lazy, ageist stereotyping.

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 31
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2019, 02:14:23 PM »
I have no problem with writing a youngster off fairly early either. When Rodgers went to Smurn at the start of the season to get games but found he couldn't displace an ageing journeyman keeper who has since retired to become a goalkeeping coach....kinda said it all really. He will never be our number 1 and in all likelihood won't get any further contract extensions.

I've never really rated Wright. An opinion that many find annoying but I'm not going to change it. I think because he is a local loon than folk are desperate for him to do well. The hat trick against Thistle early in his career perhaps gave them hope that he might be the next big thing.

However my, nor their opinions count for anything. Only ones who count for anything are DM, Doc and the coaching staff. Any complaints that he has had very little playing time may be relevant but the question has to be asked.....what has he done in training/ reserve matches to warrant an extended run of games? If he had been shining brightly I don't think our squad is either big enough or talented enough to ignore anyone. May and Ball especially get a hard time of it from the fans whenever they get selected.....both are limited in ability but are hard workers if nothing else. I have  to conclude that the management team cannot be greatly impressed by that of Wright given the very limited time he has accrued in first team action over the past 3 seasons. Injuries and suspensions conspired to get him into the side early-ish this season. Looked sensational in the St Mirren LC game but unfortunately picked up a niggle that kept him out a couple of weeks. Still got game time on his recovery but just looked ordinary at best and in a couple of games rank fucking rotten.

I think if he is to have a future in the game it will be as a number 10. McGinns return last season should have heralded a loan move immediately as it was obvious his game time would be severely impacted by the signing of such a senior pro. Going to Dundee a year later will do him the world of good as there he will be seen as an automatic first choice. Seems to have started well and I hope he keeps it up, he will return to us in the summer with 2 years left on his contract and hopefully with something to prove. But as I've said....I just have the feeling he isn't quite of the standard required for our club and wouldn't surprise me at all to find him this time next year allowed to leave for a relatively small fee to a Championship side or perhaps a promoted club where I think his level really lies.

Offline kiriakovisthenewstrachan

• First Team
  • Rating: 9
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2019, 02:36:40 PM »
It's also a heap of nonsense. Some people don't work hard. That's always been the case. If Ian Robertson had just worked a bit harder he could have been a better left back. If Dennis Law had pushed himself just that little bit further he could have ended up at the dons. In reality, there are very few people of any generation who actually reach their potential in life. There are numerous examples (McKenna, Fraser, Jack, Shinnie etc) of young lads who work very hard and make the grade so the generic "lack of desire to work hard in the younger generation" doesn't stand up to any scrutiny whatsoever. Look at the young kids striking over climate change because their parents and parents' parents fucked up everything for them. It's just lazy, ageist stereotyping.

Just don't agree with that Rico.  We have turned into a country scared to roll up our sleeves and as a result the youngsters have been brought up with that attitude.  Everything is must-have-it-now with no desire to work for it.  I see very few young people willing to start at the bottom and work their way up.  No one wants a used car, everyone wants a brand new house, we have eastern europeans doing all the jobs that require a bit of effort.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
  • Rating: -157
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2019, 02:42:06 PM »
I totally agree with you kitns. We have seen a massive difference between our first born in 91 and our 4th in 2001. I'm not talking about two kids as individuals of course but in this 10 year span, looking at their peers and friends etc., it's not just attitude and work ethic that has regressed, it's aptitude and basic education standards. Teachers are saying this too.
Ancient Sound, Modern Noise

Offline tlg1903

• Captain
  • Rating: 49
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2019, 04:52:50 PM »
promoting youth from the ranks has never been something dm has been prolific with but I think McKenna has perhaps given him a wee bit more confidence.  McLennan and Campbell are both getting good opportunity this season and Anderson must be in his thoughts for next season.  Re Wright.  The past is the past but all that really matters at the moment is that Scott Wright is doing very well at Dundee which is what we should be wanting to happen.  He plays a blinder for the rest of the season he comes back to us buzzing and hungry to make his mark.  I agree this move should have been done last season but such is life.    I think Macinnes is capable of developing youth quite well 2bf, Cosgrove would be a good case in point and both Maclean and Christie left better players than when they arrived.  His biggest black mark is shankland though,  everytime i saw him in red he looked overweight compared to what he looks like now.  If you're genuinely trying to give a kid the best shot you can you should at least be making sure they are fully fit.
Decided to start a football blog, feel free to have a read here.

http://foxintheboxon.blogspot.co.uk/?view=flipcard

Offline DantheDon

• Under 19's
  • Rating: 1
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2019, 05:56:28 PM »
To be fair on Mcinnes, its surely Shanklands job to keep himself in shape. I dont think he got enough opportunitys for us but I also think us letting him go has spurred his career on. I think sometimes its when youngsters are realeased that they realise its make or break time.

Offline TheDeeDon

• First Team Regular
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2019, 08:00:40 PM »
promoting youth from the ranks has never been something dm has been prolific with but I think McKenna has perhaps given him a wee bit more confidence.  McLennan and Campbell are both getting good opportunity this season and Anderson must be in his thoughts for next season.  Re Wright.  The past is the past but all that really matters at the moment is that Scott Wright is doing very well at Dundee which is what we should be wanting to happen.  He plays a blinder for the rest of the season he comes back to us buzzing and hungry to make his mark.  I agree this move should have been done last season but such is life.    I think Macinnes is capable of developing youth quite well 2bf, Cosgrove would be a good case in point and both Maclean and Christie left better players than when they arrived.  His biggest black mark is shankland though,  everytime i saw him in red he looked overweight compared to what he looks like now.  If you're genuinely trying to give a kid the best shot you can you should at least be making sure they are fully fit.

I cannot agree with you with McLean, I honestly thought he went backwards whilst with us, his last few months with us were his best, before that he was worse than a man short a lot of the times.

I think it was the constant backing from Donsdaft that kept him in the team.  ;D

Offline Elgindon

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 22
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2019, 08:12:45 PM »
 My tuppence worth, I think a player like Wright needs to be playing in a side playing quicker tempo fitba and sees a lot of the ball,eg where he doesnt get time to doubt.
  His head seems to go down too quickly when things dinna come off,so possibly also an attitude or self discipline problem,...which could be man managed.McInnes provides a great work environment but not so strong in the man management side IMO

« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 09:24:16 PM by Elgindon »

Offline A96red

• Under 19's
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2019, 03:10:55 PM »
I cannot agree with you with McLean, I honestly thought he went backwards whilst with us, his last few months with us were his best, before that he was worse than a man short a lot of the times.

I think it was the constant backing from Donsdaft that kept him in the team.  ;D

Opinions and arseholes spring to mind

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2019, 04:21:34 PM »
My memory of McLean was that he started off very promising but then got very lazy and was a waste of time for well over a year. Then, in his last season he started showing some good passing ability and coincidentally, this was when he was coming to the end of his contract. After Norwich got him on a pe-contract, he played his best football and therefore he was allowed to be lazy under McInnes and he cheated us fans for the majority of his games for us.

Offline TheDeeDon

• First Team Regular
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2019, 08:23:22 PM »
Opinions and arseholes spring to mind

Aye, indeed. I did like McLean as a player, but I don't think we got the best out of him until his last few months.

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Rating: 75
  • Hi Chris.
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2019, 12:32:55 AM »
After Norwich got him on a pe-contract, he played his best football and therefore he was allowed to be lazy under McInnes and he cheated us fans for the majority of his games for us.

I think this was a massive issue of mine.  He clearly knew that on paper, he was one of the best footballers at the club, but McInnes barely ever dropped him (can remember one or two occasions?) which allowed him to be lazy.  75% lands at DM's door.

I think DM has handled Wright horrifically.  I'm not sure if i'm 100% sold on him, but he was shifted all over the shop.  He's clearly a confidence player and DM hasn't allowed him to ever build it up. As Rico said, this Dundee move should have happened 12 months ago.  Poor vision from DM. Again.

Offline A96red

• Under 19's
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2019, 10:03:19 AM »
My memory of McLean was that he started off very promising but then got very lazy and was a waste of time for well over a year. Then, in his last season he started showing some good passing ability and coincidentally, this was when he was coming to the end of his contract. After Norwich got him on a pe-contract, he played his best football and therefore he was allowed to be lazy under McInnes and he cheated us fans for the majority of his games for us.
Speaking of opinions and arseholes ...

Offline RicoS321

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2019, 10:40:57 AM »
I think this was a massive issue of mine.  He clearly knew that on paper, he was one of the best footballers at the club, but McInnes barely ever dropped him (can remember one or two occasions?) which allowed him to be lazy.  75% lands at DM's door.

I don't think McLean was ever "lazy" in the traditional sense in his time at AFC. I am 100% certain that his stats (ground covered, touches etc) would back that up. I'm also 100% centre that if the stats didn't back that up he wouldn't have been playing - it's very obviously something that McInnes puts a lot of faith in. He was off-form for a good portion of two of his seasons. He was often a fanny* in the tackle. His passing was shite, and he wasn't making the telling passes that he was completely capable of, choosing to make the easy pass instead (I think that would be classed as lazy). He never stopped showing for the ball. The positions in which he showed for the ball were often the easy positions to show for the ball (see Gleeson and a good period of Jack's career). I totally agree that it stemmed from not being dropped, and I believe/think/guess that was because McInnes put faith in the statistics that he was seeing from McLean. Perhaps, pragmatism kicks in for a manager, and if there were no alternatives in our squad then you maybe accept that a guy putting in a shift is sometimes enough. McLean played within himself as a result. He had a lot of very good games which he didn't get credit for too, because fans too a disliking to him (because he never got dropped). He was excellent when he came back in and for Maddison for the remainder of that season, but that didn't get the credit it deserved. In his last season, he was also good for a large portion of the beginning of the season before his announcement regarding the Norwich move.   

*I'm not sure if fanny is the right term, as he was perfectly capable of tackling. He would often go in with the wrong body shape and the wrong foot making him weak as fuck. McGinn is a good example of a fanny in the tackle and McLean was nowhere near that level.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2019, 10:57:50 AM »
It's semantics to labour over interpretations about his weaknesses. For me you nailed it when you said he shirked tackles, made easier passes and played within himself. That's what he did and that's why I called him lazy. I don't give a fuck about his Optima stats, he wasn't taking risks, he wasn't helping the cause as much as he could have and he was anxious not to make big mistakes. This is incredibly frustrating to witness, a player stuck in the second gear of his capabilities, never striving to succeed.

As TS Eliot said, only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.