Author Topic: Scotland squad  (Read 40443 times)

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
  • Rating: -162
Re: Scotland squad
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2017, 08:57:31 PM »
Just can't get excited about watching a team that is basically picked from Celtic because "they're used to playing together".  6 out of 11, and that's only because Tic haven't got any more Scottish players.

Who gives a fuck which clubs the selected players come from?

Celtic are the only half decent side in the country.

Nobody can argue with this result... only that Forrest has been shit.

And Craig Gordon should never get a game again after Hampden v. the English.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 08:59:53 PM by rocket_scientist »
Ancient Sound, Modern Noise

Offline OxfordDon

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 51
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2017, 09:08:25 PM »
Who gives a fuck which clubs the selected players come from?

I do, when they are selected en masse with the main justification for this being they make a handy off-the-peg team.  Difficult to look beyond it as anything other than a lazy selection by the Scotland manager.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2017, 09:10:23 PM »
I do, when they are selected en masse with the main justification for this being they make a handy off-the-peg team.  Difficult to look beyond it as anything other than a lazy selection by the Scotland manager.

Do results not matter in your world?

You take exception to the majority of the team being from the only half decent club in the country?

Wise up ye fucking balloon.

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 32
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2017, 09:13:05 PM »
I find it difficult to get enthused pre match for any Scotland game but thats purely because we have been shyte for so long and as a young loon in the 70s was spoiled by us regularly qualifying for World Cups, beating teams we had no business beating on a regular basis then gloriously (and comically) making a total c@nt of it once we got there...

However once the game starts I'm always a million percent behind the boys no matter how shyte we are. Its surely only sevconians who would do otherwise...

And as Rocket says we are well worth the scoreline so far

Offline OxfordDon

• First Team Regular
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2017, 09:16:32 PM »
Do results not matter in your world?

You take exception to the majority of the team being from the only half decent club in the country?

Wise up ye fucking balloon.

I take exception when the reason for selection is given as familiarity rather than merit.  Thought that was obvious from the last time I said that, 1 post ago.

Don' want to overexcite you any more than you already are though, so don't worry about it.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2017, 09:22:03 PM »
I take exception when the reason for selection is given as familiarity rather than merit.  Thought that was obvious from the last time I said that, 1 post ago.

Don' want to overexcite you any more than you already are though, so don't worry about it.

What an arse. They were the best team to be picked. And they vindicated it.

Your problem is as equally unknown to you as it is to most.

Offline OxfordDon

• First Team Regular
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2017, 09:24:53 PM »
What an arse. They were the best team to be picked. And they vindicated it.

Your problem is as equally unknown to you as it is to most.

Just out of curiosity, are you capable of posting a response without throwing a random insult in?  Or is this some kind of digital Tourettes?

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2017, 09:28:29 PM »
Just out of curiosity, are you capable of posting a response without throwing a random insult in?  Or is this some kind of digital Tourettes?

You should do your research and due diligence.

Then determine what fraction of one per cent of my posts include an insult.

Is it illegal to insult? Or is it illegal to insult you?

Especially when your tit-like outlook and biased ignorance deserved full condemnation.

Offline OxfordDon

• First Team Regular
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2017, 09:36:02 PM »
You should do your research and due diligence.

Then determine what fraction of one per cent of my posts include an insult.

Is it illegal to insult? Or is it illegal to insult you?

Especially when your tit-like outlook and biased ignorance deserved full condemnation.

Calm down, you seem awfully upset - it's only a forum, and I was only commenting on your last handful of posts to me.

...although (and i'm going to regret asking this i'm sure), what do you mean by "biased ignorance"?

Actually, no, don't worry about it, don't want to inadvertently set you off again. Enjoy the match  :thumbsup:

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2017, 09:42:35 PM »
Calm down, you seem awfully upset - it's only a forum, and I was only commenting on your last handful of posts to me.

...although (and i'm going to regret asking this i'm sure), what do you mean by "biased ignorance"?

Actually, no, don't worry about it, don't want to inadvertently set you off again. Enjoy the match  :thumbsup:

You're obviously not from Aberdeen. You may be soft southern shite.

The comments you posted were ridiculous and absurd. I didn't post them. You did.

Don't shoot the messenger. Your stupid bias was that a team with 6 Celtic was a bad thing.

Your logic was flawed. The result proved the spasticness of your position.

Offline Nips_and_Tatties

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 3
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2017, 09:48:02 PM »
Yesssssss

Easy win.

Onwards and upwards.

Like i said, far better team now.

Pity about the slovakia v slovenia result.

Try and be a wwe bit happy about the result guys haha eh?

Eh?

Eh?

Rocket ya bampot.

:laughing:

Offline LA-Don

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 23
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2017, 09:50:51 PM »
Unless Slovakia beat England its in our hands. Glorious failure predicted, two wins at home and failure in Slovenia.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2017, 09:53:31 PM »
Eh?

Rocket ya bampot.

Methil no more. Dunfermline no more. Kirkcaldy no more.

Nae mair Fife-isms. Dee my fucking head in.

Nae arguing the bampotism by the way.

NO. btw is weegie-ism-istic. Canna be deein with regional colloquialisms that grate the NE soul.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 09:59:37 PM by rocket_scientist »

Offline Nips_and_Tatties

• Star Striker
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2017, 06:31:27 AM »
We were really good tonight.

Only managed to see the whole of the second half.

Why oh why didn't we have or choose these players before now?

What a total difference in the last 3 games.

And although there are many scenarios which could've gone our way or against us, Slovakia scoring on 81 minutes is a bastard.
Not defending properly (I blame Craig Gordon for that) with that Kane goal was inexcusable.

However, we are still in this.

If Slovakia draw or lose against England, it makes for a tantalising finish.

Could end in heartache but it's still very interesting.

I think we should beat Malta and Slovenia away.

We need to exact revenge on Slovakia and get right into them.

I just hope all is not lost before we go into the last 2 games.

I thought Matt Philipps on the left wing always great. Looks like Anya has lost his position ( though he's been played right back in the last 2 games)

Robertson is utter class. What a future at Liverpool and Scotland.

Tierney really good.

Even Berra and Mulgrew looked good but still prone to stupid errors.

This is a new look team with plenty talent.

Scotland looking like a great unit at the moment.

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
  • Rating: 73
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2017, 08:25:46 AM »
And although there are many scenarios which could've gone our way or against us, Slovakia scoring on 81 minutes is a bastard.
Not defending properly (I blame Craig Gordon for that) with that Kane goal was inexcusable.

We haven't earned the luck in this campaign. If we're going to do it, it has to be all our own doing now. The Slovak draw was a bit unfortunate like. Assuming they lose against England (although they are gash at the minute), then that could have allowed us to go into the final game with a 4 point gap (again, assuming we beat Slovakia, which is our only option at present). However, it would also have allowed us to draw against Slovakia at home and still have a chance of qualifying. It's that sort of position that Scotland fuck it up in (call it Alex Smith syndrome). When everyone knows that you need to win, but a draw wouldn't be the end, is when we inevitably get the draw and go into the final game in the wrong state of mind and end up losing, and glorious failure ensues.  Ironically, Strachan's earlier incompetence has left us in the best possible position for Scotland to be in. We just need to go out and really take it to Slovakia* and go all out for the win. If we win that, then the confidence will be sky high for the final game, against a team who will likely already be out with nothing to play for, there for the taking.

*I'm taking for grant(Hanley)ed that we'll tank Malta.

Offline tom_widdows

• Captain
  • Rating: 37
  • Miserable CĂșnt & Architectural Killjoy
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2017, 09:00:33 AM »
We haven't earned the luck in this campaign. If we're going to do it, it has to be all our own doing now. The Slovak draw was a bit unfortunate like. Assuming they lose against England (although they are gash at the minute), then that could have allowed us to go into the final game with a 4 point gap (again, assuming we beat Slovakia, which is our only option at present). However, it would also have allowed us to draw against Slovakia at home and still have a chance of qualifying. It's that sort of position that Scotland fuck it up in (call it Alex Smith syndrome). When everyone knows that you need to win, but a draw wouldn't be the end, is when we inevitably get the draw and go into the final game in the wrong state of mind and end up losing, and glorious failure ensues.  Ironically, Strachan's earlier incompetence has left us in the best possible position for Scotland to be in. We just need to go out and really take it to Slovakia* and go all out for the win. If we win that, then the confidence will be sky high for the final game, against a team who will likely already be out with nothing to play for, there for the taking.

*I'm taking for grant(Hanley)ed that we'll tank Malta.

I fear the 'Alex Smith Syndrome' is still alive and well.
Depending on the scorelines 2 Scotland wins along with 2 Slovakia defeats could mean going into the last game in Ljubljana with the chance a draw would be enough. (2-0 England, 5-0 Scotland, 2-0 Scotland = Scotland +9 vs Slovakia +2 goal difference.
I'm a man, and as a man I crave disappointment.

That's why I support Aberdeen Football Club & Scotland.

21 (YES TWENTY FUCKING ONE) year old Cosgrove to show what he can do when he is finally given a real chance.

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
  • Rating: 73
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2017, 09:29:30 AM »
I fear the 'Alex Smith Syndrome' is still alive and well.
Depending on the scorelines 2 Scotland wins along with 2 Slovakia defeats could mean going into the last game in Ljubljana with the chance a draw would be enough. (2-0 England, 5-0 Scotland, 2-0 Scotland = Scotland +9 vs Slovakia +2 goal difference.

I could be wrong, but I think the results against the bottom team (Malta) don't count. That would mean our goal difference would be pash, given our 3-0 loss to Slovakia previously.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 09:34:19 AM by RicoS321 »

Offline Nips_and_Tatties

• Star Striker
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2017, 09:30:40 AM »
Very true tom

Ive looked at all scenarios.

And even if we got 2nd spot, we have to rely on other teams in other groups getting less points.

Ive always said i thought we had a good chance even when every game was a must win...so the media kept saying.

Like i said...the now team is another world away from what we have been witnessing in the first few games.

Offline francis_begbie

• Under 21's
  • Rating: 2
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2017, 09:46:38 AM »
Thought it was weird last night when LiamMacLeod said a Slovakia win more or less guarantees them second.

Getting ahead of ourselves as per. Deal with Malta then take it from there.

Great win last night. Restored a bit of faith.

Offline tom_widdows

• Captain
  • Rating: 37
  • Miserable CĂșnt & Architectural Killjoy
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2017, 11:13:17 AM »
I could be wrong, but I think the results against the bottom team (Malta) don't count. That would mean our goal difference would be pash, given our 3-0 loss to Slovakia previously.

I believe the removal of the bottom team results is only used to determine the 2nd place teams that go into the playoffs. All goals scored in the actual group stages count towards your final position.

At the moment Group E is apparently missing out on the Playoffs
I'm a man, and as a man I crave disappointment.

That's why I support Aberdeen Football Club & Scotland.

21 (YES TWENTY FUCKING ONE) year old Cosgrove to show what he can do when he is finally given a real chance.