Author Topic: The Golf Thread  (Read 6426 times)

Offline Madbadteacher

• Club Legend
  • Rating: 41
Re: The Golf Thread
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 03:04:09 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised to see a US winner at the Open. People might deride them as bomb-pitch-putt guys on courses with rough as smooth as a snooker table, but just to get on the USPGA tour you're competing against probably thousands, so you've got to have some skills.
Don't get me wrong I HATE that style of golf you see week in and week out these days, seems like most of 'em just carry a driver 12 wedges and a putter! I'd like to see Birkdale hold up and we have a winner at about 6 under par.

I see that Spieth has just finished at 5 under.........maybe my hopes are dashed already, he's missed a lot of fairways but no bogeys, suggests the penalty for missing fairways (used to be called rough in my days but these days it's about as rough as my bumfluff used to be) isn't as bad as it should be.

Onyway, I'll be up at stupid-O'clock every morning watching this and the TDF tomorrow (before work) and all weekend.
CO100
H2S25
CH450
O218

Offline Three Crazz

• First Team
  • Rating: 22
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2017, 01:45:47 PM »
Garry Player   81. Not his score but his age  listening to him on Radio Scotland Sports sound With Richard Gordon , brilliant
Asking nothing, leave me be. Taking everything in my stride. Don't need reason, don't need rhyme. Ain't nothing I'd rather do. Going down, party time My friends are gonna be there too.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
  • Rating: -142
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2017, 05:08:22 PM »
This will be remembered as the faggot Open.

Pity cos it's the best course in the world and it's been staggeringly great for the first 3 days.
Ancient Sound, Modern Noise

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2017, 06:43:02 PM »
Well well, that last hour and a half was incredible.

Offline MDred

• Under 19's
  • Rating: 2
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2017, 01:12:29 PM »
The Open

1st - Adam Scott 30/1
2nd - Kuchar 60/1
3rd Soren Kjeldsen 150/1

That's it
Hope you had a few quid on that 2nd spot GG.

Offline Garlogie_Granite

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 15
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2017, 02:10:24 PM »
Hope you had a few quid on that 2nd spot GG.
i did, disappointing not to get the big pay day on that one though.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2017, 04:14:57 PM »
Question for LA Don...

Do you live out there? Thinking of coming out to LAX in September and staying around the Beverly Hills area. Was wondering if you could give me advice of must sees when we're out. Never been to California before.

Offline LA-Don

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 22
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2017, 06:39:40 PM »
Lived in LA over 12 years. There is so much to do here, you can be a tourist with the sightseeing etc. or you can do music, sport, art, the beach etc. All depends on your interests. If you get a chance go and watch a Galaxy game - I'd be interested on your take on their stadium and the level of play. I've done a couple of coaching courses and played at the Stub Hub facility, pretty cool venue, but haven't been to a game sine Beckham left.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2017, 10:33:06 PM »
Thanks LA. Was thinking about coming over for the Walker Cup. Still up in the air.

Offline Garlogie_Granite

• First Team Regular
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2017, 02:40:16 PM »
Played Monifeith for the first time yesterday, rather spiffing I'd say. Will be back.

The 3x clubhouses put the 3 links clubs here to shame as well, plus a fantastic venison pie to finish. Fit fine  :thumbsup:

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2017, 03:51:13 PM »
Played Monifeith for the first time yesterday, rather spiffing I'd say. Will be back.

The 3x clubhouses put the 3 links clubs here to shame as well, plus a fantastic venison pie to finish. Fit fine  :thumbsup:

Monifieth is a good track and from your enthusiasm for the catering, I'm guessing you went to the clubhouse furthest from the car park, as the food is superb in there (Monifieth GC I think). Same caterer who does the Carnoustie GC where I'll be eating this week at the Dunhill. Fuck paying on-course prices for a substandard burger when you can get a quality sit doon meal for less.

Offline Garlogie_Granite

• First Team Regular
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2017, 12:42:06 PM »
Monifieth is a good track and from your enthusiasm for the catering, I'm guessing you went to the clubhouse furthest from the car park, as the food is superb in there (Monifieth GC I think). Same caterer who does the Carnoustie GC where I'll be eating this week at the Dunhill. Fuck paying on-course prices for a substandard burger when you can get a quality sit doon meal for less.
Actually the middle one, the Broughty. We had no choice, it was a 4BBB open, but apparently the clubs take turns at "hosting" so that they cut costs when it's not that busy.

Offline Garlogie_Granite

• First Team Regular
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2017, 07:54:49 PM »
Down in guffland the club captain generally gets courtesy of other courses during his spell in office. Some take advantage of the supposed privilege. This guy is soemthing else....
http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/features/the-game/club-captain-leaves-awful-tripadvisor-review-declined-courtesy-144010

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2017, 07:21:29 AM »
Most club captains are nothings in real life. Aspiring to the position validates them as people. It was the same everywhere.

Offline Tyrant

• Administrator
  • Rating: 114
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2017, 08:43:03 AM »
Golf is full of snooty wankers. Just like Tennis.

Offline Garlogie_Granite

• First Team Regular
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2018, 08:52:15 AM »
Huge changes coming in 2019 to the rules.

Not sure about the flag being in, can see a whole hokey-cokey of "I want it in" & "I want it out" going on.

http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/new-golf-rules-2019-152161

https://www.rules.golf/

Offline RicoS321

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 66
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2018, 03:44:40 PM »
I've just bought an 10M telescopic driver for the two club rule.

Offline kiriakovisthenewstrachan

• First Team
  • Rating: 9
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2018, 10:42:55 AM »
Monty
Thomas (Bjorn) is probably looking at the best team that we've had for, well, almost ever. 

That is nonsense from big Colin and if you look at how the American team is shaping up we should be bricking it because that is very possibly their best ever team.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2018, 11:22:16 AM »
That is a nonsensical comment but when you consider WHY he said it, it's very typical of him.

I bet to this day he has no idea why the golfing gods didn't give an insanely great talent like his a major.

Offline kiriakovisthenewstrachan

• First Team
  • Rating: 9
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2018, 12:19:57 PM »
Loved Monty back in the day for the heart on the sleeve attitude but he should have moved overseas and played on the US tour.  Liked too much to be the big fish in the small pond so he could feel like Mr Important and his lack of courage to test himself against the best on a more regular basis cost him his major.

The team Monty captained at Celtic Manor would have wiped the floor with the team that we put out in Paris this year, regardless of who Bjorn decides to pick as his wildcards.