Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Paisley saints vs dons

Apparently VAR might not actually be working properly (problem at the main hub), so the ref couldn't check it, which may explain why he gave a penalty, changed to a free-kick, then went back to a penalty.

Let's look on the bright side guys, it's Christmas. We won't see Anthony  Stewart for the rest of 2022.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Panda said:

Apparently VAR might not actually be working properly (problem at the main hub), so the ref couldn't check it, which may explain why he gave a penalty, changed to a free-kick, then went back to a penalty

Why would he change it to a free kick though? Difficult one for the ref in fairness. 

Anthony Stewart is going to cost Goodwin his job

Absolute fucking bombscare. Could see this coming, he was getting ragdolled from kick off.

We are a team completely devoid of any form of leadership on the park, never mind off it.

Going to be a massive second half for Goodwin.

Fortunately I only have a forty minute drive home.

Seriously doubt I can put myself through this again v Killie on Wednesday evening.

P.S Merry "fucking" Xmas everyone.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Why would he change it to a free kick though? Difficult one for the ref in fairness. 

Aye they fixed it before the penalty, unfortunately (although, still don't agree it's a pen).

Jack Mackenzie on for Duk.

Ryan Duncan on for Leighton Clarkson.

Edited by Panda

11 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Can't blame Goodwin for this game. We were doing everything right until the shocking defending started.

- Started with essentially the same line-up and formation as usual.

- Kept playing an injured Duk until half-time.

- His half-time have done nothing.

He doesn't have a clue how to turn this around. He's hoping for some individual brilliance or a set-piece to bail him out.

1 minute ago, Panda said:

- Started with essentially the same line-up and formation as usual.

- Kept playing an injured Duk until half-time.

- His half-time have done nothing.

He doesn't have a clue how to turn this around. He's hoping for some individual brilliance or a set-piece to bail him out.

That's not the same setup as usual. Ramadani has been playing in front on his own, with Barron and Clarkson in front, we changed against the Hun to a two in front, which is a lot more balanced. That repeated today with few visible problems until Stewart started his shite. 

The Duk thing was risky but understandable. It had no bearing on the game.

The tactics didn't lead to either of the penalties in the second half, just individual errors. Roos especially was under zero pressure.

You say he doesn't have a clue and that he's relying on individual brilliance, but what do you actually expect against an on form team with ten men? It's not like we should be dominating them. We could have just sat in. We're doing okay.

26 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

You say he doesn't have a clue and that he's relying on individual brilliance, but what do you actually expect against an on form team with ten men? It's not like we should be dominating them. We could have just sat in. We're doing okay.

You're saying the tactics were fine before the red card. From what I saw, Aberdeen were struggling to get the ball to the front two, and when St Mirren stopped sitting off and came at us they caused problems.

Aberdeen getting "joy" for large spells of that second half were St Mirren again deciding to sit back and let Aberdeen have the space.

And what I want to see is major changes for Wednesday. At least Stewart can't play, but Roos & Miovski have to be dropped.

54 minutes ago, Panda said:

You're saying the tactics were fine before the red card. From what I saw, Aberdeen were struggling to get the ball to the front two, and when St Mirren stopped sitting off and came at us they caused problems.

Aberdeen getting "joy" for large spells of that second half were St Mirren again deciding to sit back and let Aberdeen have the space.

And what I want to see is major changes for Wednesday. At least Stewart can't play, but Roos & Miovski have to be dropped.

They had about a five minute spell before the red card where they pushed us back a little bit, but that's not unusual for a football match. We've got no right to expect to dominate a team for ninety minutes. We'd have easily held our lead if it wasn't for Stewart being a total fud. Tactics didn't cause the dithering on the ball, or the pass to Ramadani a few minutes earlier, it's up to the players on the park to know when to get rid of it and when not to. After we made the subs, we were doing okay. You're always going to lose the advantage when you have a player less. They weren't exactly pummeling us when Roos inexplicably took out Curtis fucking Main running away from goal (I mean, he takes six minutes to turn FFS). There was no tactical ploy that could have been made to prevent that. After that, you suggest that they sat back and let us have the space, as if we had zero bearing on that. If that was the case, then St mirren can think themselves lucky not to be leaving with a draw, as we had 2-3 great chances and should have scored. 

I agree about dropping players though, I'd definitely have Ramirez ahead of Miovski at the moment and a lamppost in place of Stewart. I think Roos has done well this season, but maybe a game off would send a message. 

Our style of play is utter garbage, a lot of the time it’s belt it long and hope or give it to duk and hope he creates something. While miovski could move more and get open, it’s no surprise that we’ve seen so little of him in three games. I didn’t see much of today but it tough to be harsh on him as what I have seen this week we give him little chance of success. Earlier in the season we seemed to pass more and create and he was more involved.

goodwin said we were tired or tired against rangers. Only one change today? That doesn’t add up to me, freshness may have helped if we were tired. Or tired was a lame excuse/deflection.

Roos is no better than Lewis. He’s better with his feet but it doesn’t seem like he is comfortable off his line, one of what I’d consider Lewis’s strengths. I think Lewis lost confidence last year and I don’t see a keeper change helping us at present, defense is honking and no confidence there.

Our center mid is so weak and with Stewart now suspended mccrorie stays at the back. We don’t seem to play through midfield and it really hurts us. We aren’t strong in midfield defensively either and that only puts more pressure on the back 3/4/5.

it almost seems like we changed to 3 at the back to accommodate duk and two up top but in the bigger picture I think it’s made us worse. don’t see personnel or formation changes making a significant difference right now based on our current squad. Think goodwin is rather fucked to be honest, he doesn’t have quality depth to make changes and if the squad isn’t happy or confident, it doesn’t look like much improvement can occur. We had a World Cup break where none of our squad were away, loads of time to work and improve, week back and we’re a total mess. Not good.

• Like 2