Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Is not achieving a top six place excusable?

Tenement, I remember Steve Coppell a couple of years ago objecting to all the press speculation about Reading's chances of getting into Europe. He said something along the lines of them being nowhere near good enough to compete for the trophy, so no point entering, althought he also said that he was trying hard to get them to a level where they could compete.

I found his view refreshing, and what you might expect from a sportsman with a winner mentality. The club accountants and fans might not agree, but as regards AFC, we took 4 points from a possible 15, which was probably as good as we might have expected. Of course we're nowhere near good enough to get even close to winning it, and last 32 was probably the maximum we might have achieved. It's a measure of how far behind the rest of Europe that we as a club have fallen.

This season has been a first for many younger Dons fans. Three or four times as many Dandies made the trip to Munchen than 25 years ago. The difference this time was no-one expected us to get through at Bayern's expense. We all knew it was never going to happen, despite a fantastic first leg.

1. Winning mentality, 2. Expectations - realistic or otherwise, 3. Ambition - these are the keys. I think it's a shame that some younger fans can rate this season as a success, principally because of adventures into Europe, adventures which did, and were bound to, end in failure. The board and management of Aberdeen do not necessarily have the ambition and desire that we fans have.

The business of football is a totally different world of course nowadays, but winning mentality is free, and we don't seem to have it. I always suspected that our chairman wasn't passionate about success for AFC plc on the park - this is not his overwhelming desire, it's not the most important thing in his life. It's also difficult to argue that our manager has a winning mentality, as winners tend to win something sometime, and JC's not won anything in his whole life, and is happy and doing remarkably well to be picking up a wage. If Miller and calderwood don't live and breath with realistic expectations for the club, and aren't fired by ambition and desire to be the best they can be, chances are the players aren't going to be burning with it either. Their form on the pitch this season would suggest they too aren't fuelled with the killer passion.

But if the fans accept the mediocrity that we've had to endure for well over 10 years now, then we really are in trouble. Whilst we still have the Scottish Cup to play for, to not only salvage this season, but make it one of the best in living memory for most of the young fans, then this is not the time to be negative or critical. I sincerely hope that JC proves me wrong, and finally does make it onto the winner's podium, but getting beat in a final is a horrible feeling, and I simply do not understand the acceptance of second best. Making a final and then losing is never a positive achievement in my book. When I went to Parkhead, I didn't necessarily expect to win, but I saw enough in the first game to believe we could do it, as we were tremendous that day, and Celtic were pretty poor. It's just i haven't seen enough consistency, both of fight and quality, to believe that we have got the right ingredients to go and win the cup this year, but I'm trying real hard to be positive.

The league table never lies, and what it tells me, is that we're really struggling to be top half, with Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs, Dundee Utd, Motherwell and Falkirk all above us, at the start of April. That is a shocking indictment of how far we've slumped, and that's why I wanted to offer an alternative view. Mediocrity should never be acceptable, and as the original post title says, I think not making top 6 is inexcusable for Aberdeen FC.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tenement, I remember Steve Coppell a couple of years ago objecting to all the press speculation about Reading's chances of getting into Europe. He said something along the lines of them being nowhere near good enough to compete for the trophy, so no point entering, althought he also said that he was trying hard to get them to a level where they could compete.

I found his view refreshing, and what you might expect from a sportsman with a winner mentality. The club accountants and fans might not agree, but as regards AFC, we took 4 points from a possible 15, which was probably as good as we might have expected. Of course we're nowhere near good enough to get even close to winning it, and last 32 was probably the maximum we might have achieved. It's a measure of how far behind the rest of Europe that we as a club have fallen.

This season has been a first for many younger Dons fans. Three or four times as many Dandies made the trip to Munchen than 25 years ago. The difference this time was no-one expected us to get through at Bayern's expense. We all knew it was never going to happen, despite a fantastic first leg.

1. Winning mentality, 2. Expectations - realistic or otherwise, 3. Ambition - these are the keys. I think it's a shame that some younger fans can rate this season as a success, principally because of adventures into Europe, adventures which did, and were bound to, end in failure. The board and management of Aberdeen do not necessarily have the ambition and desire that we fans have.

The business of football is a totally different world of course nowadays, but winning mentality is free, and we don't seem to have it. I always suspected that our chairman wasn't passionate about success for AFC plc on the park - this is not his overwhelming desire, it's not the most important thing in his life. It's also difficult to argue that our manager has a winning mentality, as winners tend to win something sometime, and JC's not won anything in his whole life, and is happy and doing remarkably well to be picking up a wage. If Miller and calderwood don't live and breath with realistic expectations for the club, and aren't fired by ambition and desire to be the best they can be, chances are the players aren't going to be burning with it either. Their form on the pitch this season would suggest they too aren't fuelled with the killer passion.

But if the fans accept the mediocrity that we've had to endure for well over 10 years now, then we really are in trouble. Whilst we still have the Scottish Cup to play for, to not only salvage this season, but make it one of the best in living memory for most of the young fans, then this is not the time to be negative or critical. I sincerely hope that JC proves me wrong, and finally does make it onto the winner's podium, but getting beat in a final is a horrible feeling, and I simply do not understand the acceptance of second best. Making a final and then losing is never a positive achievement in my book. When I went to Parkhead, I didn't necessarily expect to win, but I saw enough in the first game to believe we could do it, as we were tremendous that day, and Celtic were pretty poor. It's just i haven't seen enough consistency, both of fight and quality, to believe that we have got the right ingredients to go and win the cup this year, but I'm trying real hard to be positive.

The league table never lies, and what it tells me, is that we're really struggling to be top half, with Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs, Dundee Utd, Motherwell and Falkirk all above us, at the start of April. That is a shocking indictment of how far we've slumped, and that's why I wanted to offer an alternative view. Mediocrity should never be acceptable, and as the original post title says, I think not making top 6 is inexcusable for Aberdeen FC.

Without wanting to overplay the potential of the current side, was it not widely acknowledged that one of the most important results for the team in the 80s was the shoeing they took from Liverpool, as they learnt so much from it?

Maybe we didn't do well away from home, and maybe we did only win one from 8, but come on, this is the first team a lot of these guys have played in Europe. I noticed a huge change in the level of naivety displayed by the players as the campaign went on and I would hope they can take this on, and we can go back in there next season and do the same again.

Ok, I appreciate the case for the 'winner's mentality' but you have to look at it in a more long-term basis, not just one season in isolation. Unfortunately, the squad has not been big/strong enough to sustain as good a league campaign as they did last season, but we still have a chance of Europe again, and hopefully next season can see a repeat of the European adventure, and an improvement in the league - steady progress.

I've also decided that if the Jambos win on Saturday, i would rather Falkirk beat us and take the top 6. If Hearts take 6th, then how pish are our last 5 games of the season gonna be!?  :hammer:

Play the Falkirk game "for real" until half time. Then eithet

a)We're not winning, give the game to Falkirk, fuck the jambos

b) We're 2 up. Suggest to Hughes (a hibbie if I'm not mistaken?) he can "help" us fuck the jambos if we get a shitload in the second half.

Win, win?

What is a winning mentality?

I suspect it is something the best players have and they are not free.

I suppose you could have a "winning mentality" whatever that may be and still be a pretty mediocre fitba player, you'll get found out.

You can only pish with the cock you have, we can only afford a certain level of cock and some folk would do well to appreciate that once in a while. Talk of mentality and attitude is all very well but if that isn't matched with ability, which costs money which the board are, for better or worse, unwilling to part with to either attract new players or keep our existing top performers, they will still be shit, you can pump your fists all you like, if yer shit, you'll get pumped yourself.

I thought we demonstrated a will to win very late on Saturday and that was also a hallmark of last seasons performances with pretty much the same squad of players.

Expectations of consistency/competitiveness etc with the size of squad we have and the number of games we have faced this season is just completely unrealistic.

I also remember Coppell's comments, I accepted his logic without accepting that he was right, imagine qualification for Europe and not entering. Had JC said the same thing he would have been fucking pilloried.

What is a winning mentality?

I suspect it is something the best players have and they are not free.

I suppose you could have a "winning mentality" whatever that may be and still be a pretty mediocre fitba player, you'll get found out.

You can only pish with the cock you have, we can only afford a certain level of cock and some folk would do well to appreciate that once in a while. Talk of mentality and attitude is all very well but if that isn't matched with ability, which costs money which the board are, for better or worse, unwilling to part with to either attract new players or keep our existing top performers, they will still be shit, you can pump your fists all you like, if yer shit, you'll get pumped yourself.

I thought we demonstrated a will to win very late on Saturday and that was also a hallmark of last seasons performances with pretty much the same squad of players.

Expectations of consistency/competitiveness etc with the size of squad we have and the number of games we have faced this season is just completely unrealistic.

I also remember Coppell's comments, I accepted his logic without accepting that he was right, imagine qualification for Europe and not entering. Had JC said the same thing he would have been fucking pilloried.

Completely agree  :thumbsup: As you said, its not Jimmy's fault we have a squad of this size, the board are unwilling to part with this cash. Why, we don't know, but thats the way it is.

Coppels comments were interesting, however, "football is a funny game" and you never know what might happen, whose to say Reading couldn't have competed? I mean, we sure as hell held our own on meagre budget in comparison to ALL the team's we faced.

A couple of you have hit on the real reason we are off the pace for top 6, and MILES behind the rest of Europe, and yes, it is the continued lack of investment in the football. As I said, I don't think this is the time or place to launch into attacks against the manager right now, but in response to the ORIGINAL POST, I think it is totally unacceptable.

You mention long term view. This thread is not about the long term, it's about this season, but if you want to go there, here's my view. Yes we learned from the Liverpool games, but the difference between then and now may have been 27 years in time, but light years in comparison. We had a young ambitous manager, one who turned out to be pretty fucking good as it happens. We don't have any passion and certainly not the same ambition as a club these days.

Pisching with the cock you've got, i accept. The cocks that Milne has served us - all four of them - aren't very good cocks, in fact they're all fucking losers. Thats what gets my goat. You boys are speaking like its OK. Read the original post. Thats all I'm agreeing with. I loved the Celtic replay. It was the first time I'd seen AFC win at either Ibrox or Ticland for over 20 years. The Bayern and Copenhagen games were phenomenal atmospheres, reminders of what we used to have regularly. But overall, AT THIS POINT IN TIME, this season is shit. How can it be otherwise, sitting so low in the SPL table. It may be a cup-winning season, but I wouldn't put alot of money on it. If Calderwood suddenly develops ambition and belief, then we can expect our players to fight the corner, but if you employ losers, you get what you deserve - losing, and I'm fucking sick fed up with AFC being mediocre at best.

The league has been way short if disappointing, some of the performances have been just diabolical, especially away from home.

That said, this season has still provided more money, 2 cup runs (3 if you count the UEFA cup, irrespective of our competitiveness) and we were still in 4 competitions in February.

I don't for one second think that Calderwood lacks ambition either for himself or AFC, far from it. I just wonder how folk manage to come to that sort of conclusion.

What would constitute Calderwood "showing ambition" and in what ways would that be reflected in the teams performance?

TF, love yer optimism and positivity. Believe it or not, negativity comes to me with great difficulty, but realism has a hoose in ma heid.

I had a major problem with the appointment of Calderwood, as I had with Alec Miller getting the job. I thought Ebbe and Pele were going to be good appointments so shows you how wrong my opinions were.

But almost 4 years on, I am still waiting to see the basic qualities in our manager that I would expect to see. I see much wrong - the internal grudges/discipline, criticising players, never his fault, tactical tombola's and never a settled formation let alone personnel, and most importantly, results, and yes they have been mitigating factors. It's been hard for JC as he's had no support or direction from up high, and this is where I feel the real reason why we're no better than mediocre lies. I just think that if he did have a big budget, he'd waste it either by not recruiting right, or not coaching and motivating right. He has a track record of nothing, although I accept its not entirely his own making.

I suspect we will not agree on Calderwood, Tenement. Thats fine. I really hope I'm wrong (again) and you're right on this one. I agree with the original post 100% however.

Hing on RS, I'm no romanticist with regards Calderwood, he has big failings, mainly his gub to be fair but I'm not immune to his shortcomings, very far from it.

The tombola is hugely irritating but this has intensified this season as form and injury has really effectively fucked the defence, he has had very little choice but to move things around, including the keepers. That is possibly his only real success I can see in man management, bumping Langfield worked, he came back excellently and Soutar did also, he has been excellent since coming back.

His treatment of Lovell appears harsh, his insistence on playing Maguire ahead of him annoys the fuck outta me, and yes I know he scored the winner on Saturday and he's still very young, but Lovell is better.

Touzani mystifies me also, he plays great in midfield, gets either dropped or shunted to CH and has a 'mare there! Again, apparently unfair but this season with the number of games and key injuries and transfers he has had little choice in moving things about A BIT but it has seemed a bit much at times.

My biggest gripe is his gub, which he does seem to be sorting but sometimes I wish to christ he would keep it zipped.

You mention long term view. This thread is not about the long term, it's about this season, but if you want to go there, here's my view. Yes we learned from the Liverpool games, but the difference between then and now may have been 27 years in time, but light years in comparison. We had a young ambitous manager, one who turned out to be pretty fucking good as it happens. We don't have any passion and certainly not the same ambition as a club these days.

For the long term reasons I gave, I believe that not acheiving top six this season IS excusable.

I did state that I made my comment without wanting to overstate the potential of the current side. Clearly they, and the current management team, are not and never will be on the same planet as the side of 83, but even that side could not fight on all fronts (see failing to prevent United winning the league in 83) and this is simply a watered down version of that.

The hope is that by having an (excusably) poor league season this year, the players will have learned way more from playing in Europe than they would have from pipping Utd/Motherwell/Hibs for third place. You can't have everything, and I believe that, given the distractions that have been in place, and the additional burden on a threadbare squad, a failure to finish in the top six is excusable.

TF, love yer optimism and positivity. Believe it or not, negativity comes to me with great difficulty, but realism has a hoose in ma heid.

I had a major problem with the appointment of Calderwood, as I had with Alec Miller getting the job. I thought Ebbe and Pele were going to be good appointments so shows you how wrong my opinions were.

But almost 4 years on, I am still waiting to see the basic qualities in our manager that I would expect to see. I see much wrong - the internal grudges/discipline, criticising players, never his fault, tactical tombola's and never a settled formation let alone personnel, and most importantly, results, and yes they have been mitigating factors. It's been hard for JC as he's had no support or direction from up high, and this is where I feel the real reason why we're no better than mediocre lies. I just think that if he did have a big budget, he'd waste it either by not recruiting right, or not coaching and motivating right. He has a track record of nothing, although I accept its not entirely his own making.

I suspect we will not agree on Calderwood, Tenement. Thats fine. I really hope I'm wrong (again) and you're right on this one. I agree with the original post 100% however.

We are mediocre because the fans demand perfection and won't turn up if we have anything less. How can we reach any sort of heights when we average a crowd of 11k? The fans have to back the club as much as the board do and its no surprise that Milne wont overextend himself if the Aberdeen public refuse to do the same. A winning mentality outside the Old Firm is to achieve 3rd place. Thats our limit as it stands due to the finances that the club have. We arent going to win the league, we aren't going to win the Uefa cup and we aren't going to win the Champions cup. How far does 'ambition' go? This is NOT the 80's anymore and AFC exist in a completely different climate now, a climate that dictates that money is the be all and end all of football. We dont have money, we don't have a fanbase therefore we don't have success.

I'll take a season like this over motherwell or hibs seasons because its been a memorable season as a supporter. If you want glory and silverware every year then its time you looked south to Glasgow and started follow following because you wont get that sort of success here, its just not realistic.

We are mediocre because the fans demand perfection and won't turn up if we have anything less. How can we reach any sort of heights when we average a crowd of 11k? The fans have to back the club as much as the board do and its no surprise that Milne wont overextend himself if the Aberdeen public refuse to do the same. A winning mentality outside the Old Firm is to achieve 3rd place. Thats our limit as it stands due to the finances that the club have. We arent going to win the league, we aren't going to win the Uefa cup and we aren't going to win the Champions cup. How far does 'ambition' go? This is NOT the 80's anymore and AFC exist in a completely different climate now, a climate that dictates that money is the be all and end all of football. We dont have money, we don't have a fanbase therefore we don't have success.

I'll take a season like this over motherwell or hibs seasons because its been a memorable season as a supporter. If you want glory and silverware every year then its time you looked south to Glasgow and started follow following because you wont get that sort of success here, its just not realistic.

Thanks for your advice. After almost 4 decades of going to Pittodrie, I'm afraid that this is not feasible.

We are mediocre because we are mediocre. Not because of the fans. Thats ridiculous. I hear you that our average crowd is diabolical, and thats because many people of my generation have got fed up watching mediocrity, and mostly, a lack of fight and belief, and a lack of any real ambition coming from the top.

At many games in the last few seasons, I have noted with pride how many youngsters there are coming to Pittodrie, and this bodes well for the future. I brought my own son the right way too, and he is a mad keen Aberdeen fan. I just wish he gets something substantial to get excited about, not just a European campaign with nothing at the end of it, and little chance in the middle of it. Unfortunately, my eldest girl was at the Rangers Dec. 06 game when the players failed to turn up and after she said "But dad, it's only just started" (2-0 down midway through first half) so I knew it was going to be a mammoth task to get her or her sisters to come back. So yes, it is fantastic that there are so many young loons supporting AFC. It's the lost generation we need to be considering.

My father and uncle aren't going more than once a year nowadays, such is their apathy, and yes, there are too many older fans with expectations greater than the ability of the club to deliver. But lets get this argument sorted once and for all. My expectations are to compete for 3rd place every year, and a sniff at a cup now and again. As the original post says, missing the top 6 and not winning anything is a disgrace, an inexcusable state of affairs.

Played 4, Won 1, Drawn 1, Lost 2.  Four points from a possible Twelve.

It's not rocket science, rocket_scientist.  ;)

Guest bloo_toon_red

My expectations are to compete for 3rd place every year, and a sniff at a cup now and again. As the original post says, missing the top 6 and not winning anything is a disgrace, an inexcusable state of affairs.

We still are competing for third place.

And we could (and indeed should) "win" a place in the UEFA Cup via the cup final.  Doesn't matter about the how and why, but the rules are the rules - similarly we snuck into the knockout stage of UEFA with getting the bare minimum points, but history (and the bank balance) will show that we did it and only the cynical of mind could make any effort to take that away.

Them folks that pick and choose the games that they attend will no doubt be shocked at the poor fare they may see, but those of us who have been there all season suffering the ups and downs will tell you that this has been the most exciting season for years, regardless of league form.  I can understand people having other things they'd rather do when Saturday comes, but if that's their choice to do otherwise then their opinions on the fortunes of the team they "support" cannot command any credence or respect can they?

We still are competing for third place.

And we could (and indeed should) "win" a place in the UEFA Cup via the cup final.  Doesn't matter about the how and why, but the rules are the rules - similarly we snuck into the knockout stage of UEFA with getting the bare minimum points, but history (and the bank balance) will show that we did it and only the cynical of mind could make any effort to take that away.

Them folks that pick and choose the games that they attend will no doubt be shocked at the poor fare they may see, but those of us who have been there all season suffering the ups and downs will tell you that this has been the most exciting season for years, regardless of league form.  I can understand people having other things they'd rather do when Saturday comes, but if that's their choice to do otherwise then their opinions on the fortunes of the team they "support" cannot command any credence or respect can they?

I'm hearing you peter heid. How we get UEFA cup fitba next year is irrelevant. It is a great tonic for the bank balance. I bought shares in the original issue, and I fully expect when I get the Annual Report for AFC plc to see the year to 30.6.08 to be a tremendously profitable one, and surely a couple of million in the black.

Its not just this season that you and I have suffered ups and downs. I have been "suffering" more than 500 AFC games (but less than 1,000 - probably 750 ish) over a very long time, and this year I have only missed three games at Pittodrie . I promised myself in the Ullevi that I would support this team through thick and thin, and I do and I will, so your suggestion that my opinion is not credible is laughable. Once you've done the home and away mileage I have, over a sustained period, you might understand how reading shite like that makes your blood boil. If I hadn't spent 15 years of my life overseas, I would have been approaching 1,500 games. How many times do I need to go to become a credible supporter, in your eyes, to be able to have an opinion? How many you fucking done, mate?

On an incidental matter, re part-time supporters, like the many of my age that used to go but who don't anymore, why is what they say invalid? Personally, i would listen to anyone with an interest in our club, and would encourage as much debate as possible. For at least the third time, if you read the original post, and my response to that, I don't think there's too much wrong in what I expressed. If you're fucking delighted with mediocrity, knock yersel oot min, but don't question my integrity for having the temerity to have a different opinion from you. I'm still there, thick and thin, and whilst this year has definitely been the most exciting yet under the fat orange twat, it's still papering over some extensive cracks.

I think somebody needs to clarify the meaning of "mediocrity".  This season has been extremely inconsistent but to describe it as mediocre compared to the last 7 or 8 years is just nonsense IMHO.

If we reach the last 32 of the UEFA cup, and two domestic semi finals for next 3 or 4 years, and that's mediocre, then I'll accept that.  I personally think this is where we should be each season, as we've not had it like this for a while.

Small steps and all that.

I think somebody needs to clarify the meaning of "mediocrity".  This season has been extremely inconsistent but to describe it as mediocre compared to the last 7 or 8 years is just nonsense IMHO.

If we reach the last 32 of the UEFA cup, and two domestic semi finals for next 3 or 4 years, and that's mediocre, then I'll accept that.  I personally think this is where we should be each season, as we've not had it like this for a while.

I concur, fully!

:thumbsup:

Good call, Kowalski. It might have been helpful to get the definitions in perspective first. In my experience, this season has been the best, of all the time Stewarty has been in charge, in terms of highs, thrills and spills. It has been a memorable season, and one that should go on to the very last day, assuming we can get past QoS.

Winning the semi is no foregone conclusion, as we have no devine right to win it, and we have had numerous performances this year which if we did that again, we might well trip up once more. However, the home games against Hibs, Falkirk, Copenhagen, Bayern and Celtic (1-1) have been tremendous, for the sheer hunger and desire the players showed. Of the handful of away games I've been to this season, I was lucky enough to have been at our best result, the win in the replay a couple of weeks ago, so there are six performances right there which have been absolutely fantastic, and well above mediocre.

However, there seems to have been no in between. We've been really good for half a dozen games, and no better than mediocre for the rest, and sometimes downright awful. Ending up in the bottom six, which is now no longer in our hands, is a real possibility. As an example of our crazy season, the Hamilton game was possibly the smallest attendance I've ever been in at Pittodrie. I've been in plenty of 7, 8 and 9,000 crowds, but can't remember being in less than 6,500 before. The only highlight for me that day, shivering in minus forty eight, was the (first team) debut of Josh Walker. For a young teenager to take control of all the free kicks, make intelligent cut balls inside, and work like fuck all afternoon was a breath of fresh air, when Seve and Barry were having a mare. So even when we didn't look any better than the first division opposition, there was a slight glimmer of positivity to take from the game. To have crowds this low has got to be a warning sign. The only positive I took from it, seems to have been snuffed out because of a managerial dispute, at Rugby Park. Crazy i tell ye.

FFS r-s, what's with the thought provoking reasoned responses? 1

You ain't from round here boy is you?  2

Ban this clown! ;)3

1. Sorry. I'm capable of ignorant wild rants, as you will no doubt see in due course

2. Daken far you are. Born Foresterhill, came back to NE few year ago, nivver leaving the best part o the world ever again

3. Bans and me attract. Might be sooner than you think...

Stand affa Free. Spik Free too.