Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Is not achieving a top six place excusable?

Guest Caroline B

Not getting back into Europe will be considered a failure. Not being relegated is a success. It's not that long ago we were perenial relegation fodder. 3 seasons under JC in the top 6 is success. Not getting into the top 6 this time is failure that shall only be excused if we get to the cup final and give the fans another great occasion to celebrate. No Cup Final means a poor season with little or nothing actually acheived other than emtying our bank balances.

It's been said elsewhere in this thread, but we as Dons fans have had our most exciting season in terms of occasions in which we've had something to play for. It looks like consolidation is what this season has been about alongside the cup runs and European football again.

Onwards and upwards!!!!!  ;D

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This season for me stands like this:

The league - very disappointing as this is the bread and butter of the club and where your diehard fans who turn up regardless need to be kept happy.

The cups - showed how we can play in Europe but also showed that we're hit-and-miss when United tore us a new one.  If we do beat QP and gain a European spot then we can count ourselves very, very lucky.

Off the park - extremely disappointing.  Sure we've pulled in millions from all the increased revenue but we should have pulled in extra fans too.  But because of our league showings the opposite has happened.  Although we (actually!) got money for Clark & Hart, I'm certain we could have made more cash by keeping a settled team and finishing higher up the league or passed United into the final.  It now looks like half the experienced players from the Euro games have left or will leave, which leaves only the management team who will have benifited from the big occassion.  We had a real chance to build on our success and we were short changed by half a season.

The cups - showed how we can play in Europe but also showed that we're hit-and-miss when United tore us a new one.  If we do beat QP and gain a European spot then we can count ourselves very, very lucky.

Lucky in that there is still a European spot available for the cup runners up, but not lucky in the way we'll have reached the final (if we do indeed reach the final).  Beating Celtic in the cup was one of the highlights of the season.

Off the park - extremely disappointing.  Sure we've pulled in millions from all the increased revenue but we should have pulled in extra fans too.  But because of our league showings the opposite has happened.  Although we (actually!) got money for Clark & Hart, I'm certain we could have made more cash by keeping a settled team and finishing higher up the league or passed United into the final.  It now looks like half the experienced players from the Euro games have left or will leave, which leaves only the management team who will have benifited from the big occassion.  We had a real chance to build on our success and we were short changed by half a season.

Some good points but I don't think we're missing Hart or Clark.  Nicholson and Miller will be much bigger losses.  But how are half the team leaving?

The point I was making was not about missing certain players but moving players on who had more experence of the bigger games as well the impact of upsetting a fairly settled squad.

By removing 2 first team regulars (no matter who that was) halfway through a seasonm for next to no reward, was suicide.  It can only be likened to not having a pre-season where the team can get used to each other's traits and gel.  Of course if we had brought in 2 players to improve the squad then I'd take a different stance.

As for being lucky to get a European spot through the cup.  No we have done well to get there but then it's a backdoor that we have luckily been granted access to if we beat QP.  The cup is very much down to the way you play on the day and there's a deal of luck there too.  We could just as easily been the runners-up in the other final and got nothing out of it or got to this final but not faced the Huns.

As for being lucky to get a European spot through the cup.  No we have done well to get there but then it's a backdoor that we have luckily been granted access to if we beat QP. 

Tad premature S.T.

Nae guarantee the Huns will be there

As supporters I think we need to shake off this notion that because we were utterly shocking 5 years ago we should accept a mediocre season. I have stated previously in this thread that there have been some great memories of the season but I was chatting to someone at work today and they were saying we had been having a brilliant season and how did we not beat St Mirren. I found myself arguing the opposite and that if you remove three games from our season (Dnipro away, Copenhagen and Celtic away) we would be looking at a wholly different prospect. That, to me, typifies the inconsistent season we have had...I can't even make up my mind whether it has been good or bad.  >:D

Oh and as an aside...ST its QoS  8)

Match day tomorrow, and as usual my optimism grows as the game gets closer.  The experts on Scotsport don't think we'll get a top six place, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that things could take a big swing in our favour tomorrow.  Falkirk could easily drop points against a resurgent Killie, and even if Hearts beat Utd (unlikely) they then face Killie next week.  If we go into the Falkirk game on Monday week needing a win to secure a top-six place, I think we'll get it.

Fingers crossed.  :AFC2:

Match day tomorrow, and as usual my optimism grows as the game gets closer.  The experts on Scotsport don't think we'll get a top six place, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that things could take a big swing in our favour tomorrow.  Falkirk could easily drop points against a resurgent Killie, and even if Hearts beat Utd (unlikely) they then face Killie next week.  If we go into the Falkirk game on Monday week needing a win to secure a top-six place, I think we'll get it.

Fingers crossed.   :AFC2:

Could be even more fun if we go into the Falkirk game needing to beat them properly to negate goal difference. The way the pitched up against Hearts at Tynecastle last week I suspect it might be a difficult night. We are better midweek though  :thumbsup:

Looking on the positive side. If we can beat Falkirk and Killie can keep Hearts from winning then the most likely outcome for top 6 is that we are on 44 points, Hibs will beat St Mirren to go onto 50 points and both Motherwell and UTD play the OF so will likely lose and stay on 49 points.

Suddenly 3rd place is only 6 points away. We might also get home games against Hibs and UTD if we make the top 6. Crazy that we should end up being that close after our dire season in the league.

Got to beat Falkirk first though.

Ajja I was thinking the same thing today reading the paper. But as FJ said, we NEED killie to do us a favour. Which isn't beyond the realms of posibility but alas I can't see it happening. But hey ho, anything can happen, we just have to do our bit and we will know by saturday if there is anything to play for. Come on you Reds and killie pies!  :thumbsup:

I fully expected Falkirk to despatch Killie yesterday and they didn't. I think this one might go in our favour too. So frustrating that if we had beaten St Mirren last week we would have been in the box seat for top 6 and possibly only 4 points off 3rd  >:D At least we will know what we have to do on Monday. If Hearts win by one goal then we need to win by 6  :P

I fully expected Falkirk to despatch Killie yesterday and they didn't. I think this one might go in our favour too. So frustrating that if we had beaten St Mirren last week we would have been in the box seat for top 6 and possibly only 4 points off 3rd  >:D At least we will know what we have to do on Monday. If Hearts win by one goal then we need to win by 6  :P

I suspect Hearts will do enough.  :(

We'll need to win by 7 will we not as they have scored more goals

Anyhow I have decided that if the horrible jambos win against Killie I don't mind us getting beat by Falkirk as it would give them the top 6 place!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then we can go to tynie again and revenge our huge defeat from November

We'll need to win by 7 will we not as they have scored more goals

Anyhow I have decided that if the horrible jambos win against Killie I don't mind us getting beat by Falkirk as it would give them the top 6 place!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like your rationale  :thumbsup:

I like your rationale  :thumbsup:

I've also decided that if the Jambos win on Saturday, i would rather Falkirk beat us and take the top 6. If Hearts take 6th, then how pish are our last 5 games of the season gonna be!?  :hammer:

Great minds  :thumbsup:  I've just posted similar on another thread before reading this!

If LSC do lose or draw on Saturday then I am going to be even more pissed off the game has been changed to Monday night  :hammer:

Interesting reading, everyone. Sorry to take a negative view but AT THIS POINT in time, it can not possibly be seen as a good season.

In May, if we do get to the final, and we win the SC for the first time in 18 years, only then would I consider it good.

Right now, the top 6 is out of our hands, as we have had a pathetic league season.

In the UEFA cup, we played 8 and won 1. Great trips abroad yes, but we got humped in Greece, lucky not to be down after 5 minutes in Madrid, and comfortably beaten 2-0, and thrashed in Munich (Thanks, Clangers). We were not, and are not, competitive in Europe.

So at this point, the season is crap. As I say, there is still everything to play for, but being so far off the pace in our domestic league, is a true indicator of where we are, which unfortuntaely, is nowhere... yet.

Interesting reading, everyone. Sorry to take a negative view but AT THIS POINT in time, it can not possibly be seen as a good season.

I don't agree, our season has been as exciting as we've had for many a year.  There's been several disappointments along the way, obviously CIS semi and some dire league form, but there isn't another SPL club that I'd want to swap places with.  You talk about only one win in Europe, but we showed lots of character to dig out important draws and without question, we over-achieved.  As for the Scottish cup, from the depths of despair in the Celtic game at Pittodrie to the euphoria at Parkhead, it has been unbelievably good.

Of course a trophy would be the icing on the cake, but even if we lose in the Scottish cup final I'll still smile when I  look back at a season that gave us so many highs, so many moments to cherish.  And it's all been done on a shoe-string budget, with a wafer thin squad, and a manager who seemingly doesn't know what the fuck he's doing.

Fantastic!  ;D