Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Paisley Saints vs Dons

3 minutes ago, HaarDon said:

The reason we are saying shots over is lack of composure and remembering to keep your head down.

Things a striking coach should be instilling in their play.

It's all about technique whether under pressure or not.

We've had plenty chances where a player has made space and still blown it over the bar or midway to the corner flag.

A striking coach should not be instilling keeping their head down in their play, unless he's teaching primary kids. If they're at this stage in their career and don't already know that then they're screwed. He'll be teaching them about runs to make, walking them through the weaknesses of specific opponents, set plays etc, along with many other general coaching duties (I don't even think his job title is striker coach). There was only one chance last night where we had an open shot on goal and that was a decent effort, wide, by Ferguson on his wrong foot. Every opportunity high and wide was either a bad choice to shoot (out of frustration, with Ferguson particularly guilty) or under pressure and difficult to get away a shot. Those types of shot are difficult and a cursory glance at even the greatest league in the world will see midfielders blazing over with a man between them and the goal. It's a function of playing without wingers and it was apparent even against Edinburgh city. We had so many shots against them, but only a handful were actual decent chances because we're simply not creating them. The Jet chance against city being the first sitter in open play we've missed in ages. Our tactics are forcing us into trying to convert difficult chances in crowded areas, and no amount of coaching is going to improve that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

A striking coach should not be instilling keeping their head down in their play, unless he's teaching primary kids. If they're at this stage in their career and don't already know that then they're screwed. He'll be teaching them about runs to make, walking them through the weaknesses of specific opponents, set plays etc, along with many other general coaching duties (I don't even think his job title is striker coach). There was only one chance last night where we had an open shot on goal and that was a decent effort, wide, by Ferguson on his wrong foot. Every opportunity high and wide was either a bad choice to shoot (out of frustration, with Ferguson particularly guilty) or under pressure and difficult to get away a shot. Those types of shot are difficult and a cursory glance at even the greatest league in the world will see midfielders blazing over with a man between them and the goal. It's a function of playing without wingers and it was apparent even against Edinburgh city. We had so many shots against them, but only a handful were actual decent chances because we're simply not creating them. The Jet chance against city being the first sitter in open play we've missed in ages. Our tactics are forcing us into trying to convert difficult chances in crowded areas, and no amount of coaching is going to improve that.

You're talking about 2 games.(one of them being against a league 2 team).

I'm talking about the whole season to date.

Coaches in all sports will talk about basics mixed with their own ideas or ones they have learned through experience.

A boxer still has to be told how and where to punch, a sprinter still needs to be told how to run, a swimmer told how to hold his position in the water and how to use his stroke etc etc.

Sports coaches are there to coach, encourage, remind, guide, train, practice.

Our players are shite at shooting.

If you can argue with that then one of us is blind.

40 minutes ago, HaarDon said:

You're talking about 2 games.(one of them being against a league 2 team).

I'm talking about the whole season to date.

Coaches in all sports will talk about basics mixed with their own ideas or ones they have learned through experience.

A boxer still has to be told how and where to punch, a sprinter still needs to be told how to run, a swimmer told how to hold his position in the water and how to use his stroke etc etc.

Sports coaches are there to coach, encourage, remind, guide, train, practice.

Our players are shite at shooting.

If you can argue with that then one of us is blind.

I see very little evidence of shit shooting, and plenty of evidence of bad choices and poor tactics. Hedges is probably the only one I'd say is guilty of missing half chances, but almost all of these he engineers himself and is usually off balance or shooting away from his direction of travel - in other words, they're not easy chances. Rooney in his prime for us was probably converting 30-50% of his good opportunities. He missed plenty, but almost always had more than one. McGinn blazed over the bar regularly before scoring. They both had plenty of chances in a game and knew that missing one wasn't generally dropping us points. I think we've probably missed a handful of good chances this season. We need to be creating 2 or 3 every game before we can start criticising our shooting. Other than Jet Vs city, could you name a good chance we've had that resulted in a shot off target?

1 hour ago, Goldie03 said:

Thank fuck I was at a Burns Supper and not watching the game last night then I feel like I got off lightly and the haggis was delish 😋 

After the latest masonic revelations about Burns, I think he may have actually been a Hun. You should probably sit and watch the entire game on red TV, with the sound on so you can hear Cowan, as penance.

• Haha 2

That is without doubt one of the worst performances I’ve seen us produce in a very long time. We had zero penetration and were totally devoid of creativity in the final third. This new Glassball, possession for possessions sake with zero end product is excruciating and the worry is that I can’t see how we improve it as it’s been the story for most of the season. Either we don’t have the players or there’s a problem with the coaching as the product is boring to watch and completely ineffectual. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KGB said:

That is without doubt one of the worst performances I’ve seen us produce in a very long time. We had zero penetration and were totally devoid of creativity in the final third. This new Glassball, possession for possessions sake with zero end product is excruciating and the worry is that I can’t see how we improve it as it’s been the story for most of the season. Either we don’t have the players or there’s a problem with the coaching as the product is boring to watch and completely ineffectual. 

We don't have the players, simple as that. The whole point of possession is to create opportunities to go forward and exploit attacking situations, be that to create a 2v1, a 1v1 with an effective 1v1 player etc, and to give players time for movement into attacking space, but that requires a smart soccer player who can see opportunities, and an intelligent and quality passer. We're so limited with all of that and have players who run around, or have a mediocre soccer IQ or work rate. Hedges is hit/miss and predictable, McLennan's brain cannot operate at the speed of his feet, JET has a poor work rate and isn't smart, Ojo is all work rate but that gives limited return, Hayes is our most effective and he's in decline. Kennedy isn't the level we need either. Ferguson and Jenks are box to box midfielders, all work rate if that, and Brown and Campbell are holding mids. We have virtually zero attacking creative threat. I don't think we miss chances and don't blame it on poor shooting/scoring, we are just not creating. Take out penalties and set plays, do we really create much?

McGinn or Hayes back in the day stretched defenses, drew defenders out of position, and consistently created chances or scored. McLean could pass, Christie and Maddisson could beat players etc. We only have Hayes, Hedges on his day, and Ramsey who realistically can do that, and as I said yesterday, Hayes is aging and the other two have had heads turned.

Hope the dutch boy is good but he's young and a lot of expectation. We need signings.

3 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

After the latest masonic revelations about Burns, I think he may have actually been a Hun. You should probably sit and watch the entire game on red TV, with the sound on so you can hear Cowan, as penance.

How about I just pay to watch us against St Johnstone on Saturday - that will be punishment enough surely 😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 1