Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

SPFL review

So the strategic review of the SPFL that Cormack has alluded to in interviews recently has been formally announced, led by the Dons, the Edinburgh and the Dundee clubs.

https://www.afc.co.uk/2021/09/14/spfl-member-clubs-invest-in-independent-advice-on-strategic-review/

Be interesting to see where this goes - the American influence on it is undeniable and if anyone knows how to sell a sport then it's the yanks. How the outcome, expected in six months, is received by Doncaster, the SPFL and the filth will be telling. Doncaster has apparently given his backing to the review but the cheeks' silence and lack of involvement is perhaps notable.

Will be interesting to see if the payment for the consultation will be made by the club or Cormack himself.

Having seen the output of some of Deloitte’s management consulting recommendations in other companies I’m not too confident we’ll see anything groundbreaking.

44 minutes ago, Slim said:

Having seen the output of some of Deloitte’s management consulting recommendations in other companies I’m not too confident we’ll see anything groundbreaking.

This. If you want a bunch of people to come in and confirm the exact outcome you wanted then these guys will do just that, lending their "credibility". They'll have nothing to add to the game. I suppose it's important to remember that football isn't a democracy (bit like the rest of the UK!) and that the actual purpose and integrity of the game isn't open for discussion. This review is purely looking at money generation.

I think the most interesting thing about this is the collaboration of the 5 clubs. By terms of number of supporters that's the biggest 5 in the league outside the ugly sisters. It seems a statement of intent to me, time will tell if that's true or not but it has potential if so.  What that intent would be is another fascinating question to think about. 

The American involvement in Scottish football is still something of a puzzle for me.  Clearly they see potential for return of investment.  For some context I heard former director Andrew Little say on the here we go podcast recently that he believed cormack and his yank chums are invested in afc to the tune of 20 million.  Anyone else find that a bit nuts?  I would love to know how much of that is cormack himself.  The only thing I can think of that would justify that kind of investment is CL qualification.....  Not impossible but still a long shot to say the least. 

On 15/09/2021 at 13:13, Slim said:

Will be interesting to see if the payment for the consultation will be made by the club or Cormack himself.

Based on prior experience of the Big Four, I fully expect Deloitte to recommend that lots more Deloitte resources are brought in to conduct further Deloitte-scoped work deep diving into the issues initially identified by Deloitte.

Edited by OxfordDon

7 hours ago, OxfordDon said:

Based on prior experience of the Big Four, I fully expect Deloitte to recommend that lots more Deloitte resources are brought in to conduct further Deloitte-scoped work deep diving into the issues initially identified by Deloitte.

On the contrary, if I was forced at knife point to choose one of the big four to perform a review, I would choose Deloitte. Maybe not knife point, I'd probably risk getting out of that alive, but gunpoint then.