Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Hamilton - Dons

2 hours ago, ayrshire_don74 said:

'Hamilton are a tenacious team and seem to get results when the pressure is on and often against us too' often wonder if this is an AFC sockpuppet account ?

Hamilton have one win in 21  ?  Lost to Annan and Stranraer, lost 8-0 , also have 3 players out. If we were playing the youngsters last night i would have sort of understood but we werent.

These are first team players many of which have played 100's of league games the second half was as bad and gutless a performance we have witnessed , its almost as if we were reverting to the dross we have seen last season or 2..

Surely that's understandable? With Main, Ojo, Leigh and Kennedy and Cosgrove looking unfit it is largely the team from last season. We became uncreative basically. Campbell and Ojo didn't take the game to Hamilton in the same way as Ferguson and McRorie (or McGeouch) would have, Main or Edmondson aren't a patch on what Wright offers in the advanced area, an unfit Kennedy isn't as good as McLennan and an unfit Cosgrove not as good as Watkins (both Kennedy and Cosgrove could have been subbed around 60 minutes if we'd had replacements), Leigh not even close to Hayes. Where you see our performances as gutless, I see a lack of ability. Kennedy unable to beat a man, Campbell still a bit away from being able to dominate the midfield and move the ball forward quickly, Ojo not being aggressive enough, or being aggressive at stupid moments because he's lost any sharpness he might have had, Main having the touch of an elephant that's really, really shite at fitba etc. All that before losing a soft goal due to poor marking (I suggested it was offside at the time, but having watched it on the BBC, I think I was wrong or certainly it's too marginal to worry about - although still never a free kick) at their first attempt at getting anywhere near our box.

I've said it 100 times before, the youngsters should be filling the spots in our squad that we're down to: Ethan Ross where Leigh is, Anderson where Main is, Virtanen where Ojo is etc. However, maybe that does them a disservice by depriving them of a vital loan experience with lots of game time just to give us a fall back on the odd occasion. I don't know.

Realistically though, how often are we going to have 8 players out? I don't think we should dwell too much on guys like Ojo and Main. We all know they're pish, but they're not going to feature much once we get a couple of players back.

6 minutes ago, TheDeeDon said:

I gave up my ST this year due to the standard of football and have openly said DM should go and cannot take us forward, but that wont be happening anytime soon as we cannot afford too, but when it comes to matchdays I will always put them down for a win, even though my head may say something different to my heart.

But DM has taken us forward this season so far. We're a much, much better team to watch and the points return reflects that. I don't think it's time to throw out all the good performances this season and judge us based on the last two games with 8 players missing. Even last night, we didn't revert to game management or a cautious approach after going a goal up, we were just simply shite because our fringe of the fringe players are shite. I think even if we had Wright or Hayes playing last night alone would have made the difference between winning and drawing.

4 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

But DM has taken us forward this season so far. We're a much, much better team to watch and the points return reflects that. I don't think it's time to throw out all the good performances this season and judge us based on the last two games with 8 players missing. Even last night, we didn't revert to game management or a cautious approach after going a goal up, we were just simply shite because our fringe of the fringe players are shite. I think even if we had Wright or Hayes playing last night alone would have made the difference between winning and drawing.

We have undoubtedly played better this season, but I still think he should be gone, but as I stated it won't be anytime soon.

For me Hayes has been the big difference. We missed him when he went and look a different team with back in it and no it is not all down to him, but I suspect he has been a large part in our overall performaces, just like he was before he went to the pigs.