Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dons vs tims : SC semi edition

1 minute ago, Kowalski said:

2.30 kick off @ Hampden.

Live on Premier Sports.  WTF!!!!

Premier Sports - highest bidder I'd imagine

Amazing the time when there is no fans they some how manage to get a sensible kick off time for a Sunday semi final in Glasgow

• 4 weeks later...

190315_scottish_cup_semi_final_campiagn_

Hoping that the team take great confidence from their performance against the dhimmery on the weekend.  Some of the play from the team this season has been very good and it's great to see the manager finally loosening the team up a bit.  They are clearly there for the taking, but we need to keep cool heads and try to avoid defensive lapses like the ones that lead to their goals.  They still have the class to punish us, not sure what that means defensively. Stick or twist? I don't want to see McCrorie anywhere near the RWB position, it doesn't play to his strengths.

Does Cosgrove start or do we stick with Edmundson? Very interested to see how we line up for this one.  

Our record against them (forgetting the league for now) doesn't really need to be spoken about, it's pretty shite.  Been six years since we beat them in any of the cups.  I'm hoping the empty Hampdump will actually play in our favour as it does sometimes feel that the players can't hack the weight of expectation from the fans at times. Maybe even the manager.

Out
Bed
Bed (hopefully)
Bed (slim chance)
1-2, McCrorie

Game is live on Premier Tim Sports at 2:30PM on Sunday.

We’re due a win over Celtic, why not this weekend? Last Sunday has to have given us confidence, plus hopefully McInnes remembers that mccrorie is a central midfielder. I didn’t see last Sunday, but I thought we’d already tried and failed with mccrorie at right wing back.  And an empty Hamden helps us too.

A week for Sam to get fitter and he plays in a friendly tomorrow I believe, along with the others needing the run out. I expect Sam to start Sunday, especially given he gives defenders the shits and Celtics defense is their weakness.

Celtic have a tough week. They have to travel and Lille are a decent side. Joint top of their league with PSG plus the only undefeated team in France. And they beat Sparta Prague 4-1 last week.

Celtic do have COVID players coming back I think, but euro travel these days causes concern and anything can happen with COVID.

2-1 us, Cosgrove, and mccrorie with the winner!

6 hours ago, LA-Don said:

We’re due a win over Celtic, why not this weekend? Last Sunday has to have given us confidence, plus hopefully McInnes remembers that mccrorie is a central midfielder. I didn’t see last Sunday, but I thought we’d already tried and failed with mccrorie at right wing back.  And an empty Hamden helps us too.

McRorie was actually okay out wide last week, but it is a waste of his talent. I think the idea was that he'd be able to switch McRorie central and Hedges out wide during the game if we were getting overrun in midfield. When he realised that McGeouch, Ferguson and Hedges were matching their midfield he seemed happy enough to replace McGeouch (once injured) with the dedicated wide player in McLennan rather than bring on Ojo (thank fuck). McGeouch was actually playing quite well before he got injured, so it is a bit of a dilemma for McInnes if he's fit. Does the extra five metres Hampden width make a huge difference in deciding whether to play a 3-5-2 (with McGeouch) or a 3-4-3 (with Hedges/Wright)? Obviously, we can play a 3-4-3 with Hedges and Wright dropping into a 5 when they've got the ball, which would be my preferred approach. I think last week gave us a good insight into their abilities as well as our own, and we have a good chance this weekend. All the choices we have to make are good ones too, there's a number of players that we could have in our starting line up that are going to cause McInnes a headache, and he needs to make a decision on when to involve them all. I'd start with the team that finished last week, with a front three of Wright, Cosgrove and Hedges and McLennan deservedly keeping his place out wide. That leaves Watkins, Edmondson and McGeouch (and Kennedy if fit) part of an exceptionally strong bench. I don't think Cosgrove or Wright will be fit enough for a 90 minute outing at Hampden, so it's up to them to get us ahead in the first 60-70 minutes. McInnes might be inclined to bring them on instead for a bigger effect against tired players, but I think you have to go for it from the start.

Had the hope drummed out of me for Celtic games in recent years,so not overly optimistic.Were capable of giving them a thrashing,but am also prepared for the possibility of a plucky defeat,if not a pathetic capitulation.  Nonetheless looking forward to it,COYR

Edited by Elgindon

For me we played just about at our best on Sunday for that draw and possibly deserved the win overall, but can we do the same this coming Sunday, knowing full well they possibly won't be that shyte again? I do think though that defensively they are pish.

I would go for the frustrating tactics that worked well for us in the first half on Sunday, before opening up more in the second half, so would keep Wright on the bench and let him run at that defence. I also suspect if Wright starts one of the tinks will do him in the opening stages to try and keep him out of the game knowing no matter the level of assault a yellow card at worst.

As always in a semi you just want the players to leave the pitch knowing they have gave their all win or lose.

3 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

McGeouch out for eight weeks. Disappointing for him, he's not done much wrong in the games he's played. Forces McInnes' hand a little with the starting lineup for the weekend. Leaves us a bit short on game management options when we go four up too.

Can't say i've been overly impressed with him, but he's gradually improving and hasn't done much wrong.  Does that not just mean that he will just play Ojo?

6 minutes ago, ayrshire_don74 said:

start wright then can play Sam up front and Watkins

And Hedges wide right? Or do you mean play Sam and Watkins separately (i.e. one starts the other comes on for him)?

To me, it has to be one or the other, Watkins or Cosgrove. The best I've seen us play so far this season is with Hedges and Wright together high up the park. They combined really well playing close together and had the freedom to make space for others too. I think that piling in a front 2 of Wright, Cosgrove, Watkins, plus Hedges right slightly nullifies the threat, although it would be a hell of a decision to drop Watkins or Cosgrove or Edmondson. To me, I wouldn't bother with Wright from the start unless we're getting Hedges up there too.

3 minutes ago, ayrshire_don74 said:

hi sorry so midfield/upfront would be

hayes mcrorie ferguson hedges

then watkins and wright

and sam upfront

Aye, okay, that makes sense. As I say, I'd be concerned that we don't get the best out of Wright with Hedges out wide, but you could be on the mark with McInnes' line up. A little harsh on McLennan who's come in and done well. I'd go:

-----------------Lewis---------------

----Hoban----MyGranny(dec'd)----Consi---

McLennan---McRorie----Ferguson---Hayes

----Hedges----Cosgrove------Wright-----

with Hedges and Wright dropping in to support the midfield off the ball. Switch Watkins for Cosgrove if Sam can't play 90.

I think Wright has to start. We look a better team with him in it.

Not convinced I would start Cosgrove as he will not be fully fit yet. Maybe better coming of bench as impact sub. I would replace him with Watkins in Rico’s team. I also full heartedly support Rico’s Granny at Centre Half instead of Taylor. 

Sadly some of the missing players from Sunday for Victims FC will be back this week so cannot see them being as bad. If Lennon was a vaguely competent manager the shoplifting serial shagger would start for them but he’s not so hopefully left on the bench until it’s too late. 

Object paying for Premier Sport but will probably cave in before Sunday. 

oot

out in Park with bairn

If I had will power out however....tv

still in flat

1-2 Cosgrove with Dons goal.

Are we hoping Rico's granny lasts the 90 or does Taylor come off the bench? Certainly hope it's the former.

I'd start with Rico's team too and go at them from the start. While we took the lead last week without Wright, I'd rather push up and try to get ahead, taking Wright off when we go into game management mode in the second half. We should create more with Wright and Hedges fresh and playing together, hope we're not so reliant on penalties this game. I also think Watkins coming on in the second half gives us added pace and mobility against a tiring Celtic defense which isn't a bad thing. He'll run his socks off, chase lost causes, and try to hold the ball if we're holding a lead and sitting more leaving him a bit isolated, that's not really Sam's game.

2 hours ago, LA-Don said:

Are we hoping Rico's granny lasts the 90 or does Taylor come off the bench? Certainly hope it's the former.

I'd start with Rico's team too and go at them from the start. While we took the lead last week without Wright, I'd rather push up and try to get ahead, taking Wright off when we go into game management mode in the second half. We should create more with Wright and Hedges fresh and playing together, hope we're not so reliant on penalties this game. I also think Watkins coming on in the second half gives us added pace and mobility against a tiring Celtic defense which isn't a bad thing. He'll run his socks off, chase lost causes, and try to hold the ball if we're holding a lead and sitting more leaving him a bit isolated, that's not really Sam's game.

Aye, sounds about right. Interesting that our best "game management" options come in the form of bringing on a striker. That must take Deek out of his comfort zone. I don't think he'll trust Ojo on performances so far this season, but that was why he came on a couple of games ago - in case we needed that option, so it'll be interesting. It's a shame Campbell isn't fit, I'd have been happy enough taking him on for 20 minutes ago to protect our lead and perhaps grab a late fifth.