Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Europa league qualifier - Dons vs Viking FK

Job done although the manager got the line up wrong. McCrorie and Ferguson have been a big part of our play of late and their partnership in midfield shouldn’t have changed. With Kennedy out it should have been Logan, McClennan, even Hernandez at right wing back. Thought we missed McCrorie in the middle and a naturally defensive mid in mcgeough doesn’t drive us forward the way the forementioned do. I’ll also agree with Stevie Cowan in the commentary, our defenders need to push up more and force the midfield to get further forward. Play like that in the next round and we’ll get thumped, they really should have scored against us tonight.

ill also add that Watkins puts in a shift up top and links well but needs goals. does everything but that......and a striker needs to score.

Edited by LA-Don

29 minutes ago, tom_widdows said:

If so it falls into the same cateogory as Christian Dailly, Darren Fletcher & Kenny Miller having more scotland caps than Willie Miller, Denis Law and Joe Jordan

Way more european games played now than in the 1980s

Are there for us? We've not been past the third round under McInnes, surely Ferguson must have managed three fixtures a season?

Just checked and Ill retract (for now)
Ferguson had 42 games in europe for the Dons over 7.5 seasons (only 5 away wins but one was in Gothenburg)
McInnes has had 32 in just over 7 seasons (7 away wins)

However in Fergies time there were fewer games, fewer teams, and none of this seeding bollocks. First round you had the same chance of playing Bayern Munich or Real Madrid as you did an Icelandic team.
83 cup winners cup run was only 11 games. 
Had the Dons managed to with the 2018-19 europa league they would have had to play 21 games

Edited by tom_widdows

OK according to a certain Glasgow based newspaper, because the seeding for the playoff draw is based on the highest ranked teams in each tie the Dons are technically 'seeded'.

Potentialy opponents are supposedly as follows: 
?? Standard Liege,
?? Steaua Bucharest,
?? Granada,
?? AC Milan,
?? AEK Athens,
?? LASK,
?? Rosenborg,
?? Apollon Limassol, :wave:
?? Rostov,
?? Reims,
?? Rijeka :wave:

Hope its a home tie

Another win, another clean sheet and two good goals worthy of winning any game.  Would have been very harsh if McRories was judged offside and it probably would have been if in the SPL.

If I knew giving up the season tickets was going to lead to this kind of form I would have done it years ago.  I do wonder if playing behind closed doors is suiting a lot of our players.

COYR

10 hours ago, LA-Don said:

Job done although the manager got the line up wrong. McCrorie and Ferguson have been a big part of our play of late and their partnership in midfield shouldn’t have changed. With Kennedy out it should have been Logan, McClennan, even Hernandez at right wing back. Thought we missed McCrorie in the middle and a naturally defensive mid in mcgeough doesn’t drive us forward the way the forementioned do. I’ll also agree with Stevie Cowan in the commentary, our defenders need to push up more and force the midfield to get further forward. Play like that in the next round and we’ll get thumped, they really should have scored against us tonight.

ill also add that Watkins puts in a shift up top and links well but needs goals. does everything but that......and a striker needs to score.

Agree with this especially bit about striker. 

If we get passed Sporting potential opponents are as follows.

image.png.1b1dc24e1d333b5ecf95291a44a98c09.png

9 hours ago, tom_widdows said:

OK according to a certain Glasgow based newspaper, because the seeding for the playoff draw is based on the highest ranked teams in each tie the Dons are technically 'seeded'.

Potentialy opponents are supposedly as follows: 
?? Standard Liege,
?? Steaua Bucharest,
?? Granada,
?? AC Milan,
?? AEK Athens,
?? LASK,
?? Rosenborg,
?? Apollon Limassol, :wave:
?? Rostov,
?? Reims,
?? Rijeka :wave:

Hope its a home tie

Some seriously interesting teams in that mix.

Good goals, but can see why Viking were a bit pissed about the first. But hey ho. We've had some shite luck in Europe at times so i'll take it.  I still find it bizarre seeing AC around in the Europa.

26 minutes ago, DantheDon said:

On another slightly related subject with Motherwell going to extra time and penalties they should be tired come Sunday. Which will hopefully make things easier for us.

Also, Campbell, their best player, got injured.

Happy days. Just need the Corona to ravage Sporting Lisbon now.

Not wishing to jinx matters, but could this when we have probably least expected it, finally be the season when we finally reach the Holy Grail known as the Europa League group stages.

Superb as it would be, it would also be fucking typical with no likelihood of getting an away trip.

Just back from holiday and skint or not, I would have been off to Lisbon next week

Aye, it'd be typical, but the prize fund is where the money is and getting there would stave off the corona debt for the season and allow us to hold out for proper money for £12M+ valued Ryan Hedges. 

I'd definitely have been across in Stavanger, and a fair chance I'd have been in Lisbon if I couldn't wangle the former. Two really good trips we've missed.