Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Well vs Dons - Sat

I think it's fair to say 6 defenders. It's not like we have Ball in there who plays regularly in midfield. We have very limited midfielders available and we drop the one healthy midfielder. Wtf.

Looks like we’ve started with Leigh and vyner in center mid with Gallagher and the usual 4231.

Great penalty save!

Fuck. Terrific Cosgrove goal. Well played Leigh in midfield and super finish. 1-0. Cosgrove has been excellent so far.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's fair to say 6 defenders.

It's not fair. The suggestion made by the comment is that we're playing a back 6. It would have been fair if he'd backed it up with his suggested midfield. We're clearly down 3 midfielders.

In answer to ayrshire, there are no youth midfielders better than Campbell and McInnes (and I agree with him) has deemed that Campbell hasn't been cutting it in the games he's played and that was with experienced midfielders alongside him. I suspect he might get some time later in the game.

Decent performance so far, absolutely tremendous finish from Cosgrove who has been excellent this season - a huge improvement in his overall movement and use of his body which shows again today.

Wilson been murder, I'd get Hedges on. Leigh doing the miles in midfield as has Gallagher, with Vyner a little poor in terms of coverage, resulting in Logan having to come infield leaving him constantly out of position against their fast winger and he's making mistakes because of it. Devlin and McKenna been very strong. Lewis making up for his mistake (although it was a dive) for the penalty in some style.

It's a good away performance against a strong side. They're pressing has been immense. I'd hook Wilson as I don't think we can afford another 45 with a passenger on the pitch and I'd consider Campbell on for Vyner at around the half hour. Vyner has the strength against Tait where Campbell might struggle, but Campbell will hold onto the ball, which we're seriously lacking at the moment.

Decent half and we had chances to add. No need to change tactics or formation. Players  have done well, don’t need DM changes fucking this up.

Wilson maybe? Or am I being harsh? He really doesn't seem to be able to do both defensive and attacking duties and it effects both areas of his game. It's like watching Greg Stewart as a winger.

tactical genius

To be fair, it was a very good tactical display. None of us would have considered Leigh in midfield, it was a shrewd move given their pressing and style of play. We're all pretty quick to lambast McInnes for shite tactics, but today's were excellent. Not just the line-up, but the way we drew them in and played very quickly on the break. It was great to watch. Gallagher, for all his inability in terms of decision making, did really well in terms of making space for himself and others - his movement was first class.

The only downside was the chubby retard getting on for the last minute. I'd have cancelled football forever right then.

Credit where it is due, we have been really good today with a completely makeshift team.  Could have been veeeeery different if Lewis hadn't saved the pen but even then I think we still would have scored.  Leigh has been brilliant today.

I could have written the exact same thing, and agree penalty save was huge. I don't know if we'd have attacked the way we did if we went 1 down and Motherwell got their tails up. Didn't see much of the second half but Leigh played very well, a Shinnie type performance in my eyes, grit, determination, drive, and a nice pass or two. No tactical craziness, a regular 4231 but I thought we passed the ball a bit better and played more through midfield, not as much long ball. Bizarre given we had 2 defenders in midfield I'd have expected more long ball.

Second half it appeared we didn't go into game management but just kept playing. Feel for Wilson, much like Greg Stewart, I feel DM is killing him by playing him wide. Had a couple decent shots but I think playing centrally is where we'd see the best of him, perhaps at #10. Also thought Logan got burned a fair few times, besides the dodgy pass for the penalty.

Lastly, while Leigh was good in midfield I'll shit myself if we go with that against Celtic, Andy at left back will get a roasting.

To be fair, it was a very good tactical display. None of us would have considered Leigh in midfield, it was a shrewd move given their pressing and style of play. We're all pretty quick to lambast McInnes for shite tactics, but today's were excellent. Not just the line-up, but the way we drew them in and played very quickly on the break. It was great to watch. Gallagher, for all his inability in terms of decision making, did really well in terms of making space for himself and others - his movement was first class.

The only downside was the chubby retard getting on for the last minute. I'd have cancelled football forever right then.

Tactical display? Nothing to do with tactics in my eyes. It was the same formation and the same style, albeit a little less long ball. Counter which we do quite often. It was a more typical Aberdeen performance, one we haven't seen in a few weeks though. The players just performed and Vyner and Leigh played pretty well at doing what our center mids have struggled to do this season. I didn't see any tactical changes or wizardry, we just showed up.

Feel for Wilson, much like Greg Stewart, I feel DM is killing him by playing him wide. Had a couple decent shots but I think playing centrally is where we'd see the best of him, perhaps at #10.

Could you imagine Wilson playing number 10 today though? We needed Gallagher in there. Wilson would have done about a tenth of the work and we'd have got tanked. He's his own worst enemy as he seems to need a 6 minute breather between each jaunt up or back the park. I thought he looked okay against Hearts before getting injured too, but today he was right back to being pap. He should never have been signed.

Also thought Logan got burned a fair few times, besides the dodgy pass for the penalty.

Aye, although Vyner sold him a few times in the first half by being out of position (he fairly made up for that in the second).

Lastly, while Leigh was good in midfield I'll shit myself if we go with that against Celtic, Andy at left back will get a roasting.

Aye, it's not a team for the Tims like. Considine was very good today like, alongside Devlin and McKenna but the Tims will have a hell of a lot of space if we play that midfield against them. That said, will we have any other options?

Tactical display? Nothing to do with tactics in my eyes. It was the same formation and the same style, albeit a little less long ball. Counter which we do quite often. It was a more typical Aberdeen performance, one we haven't seen in a few weeks though. The players just performed and Vyner and Leigh played pretty well at doing what our center mids have struggled to do this season. I didn't see any tactical changes or wizardry, we just showed up.

Well, aye, fair enough. We played our 4-2-3-1 to perfection despite missing our midfield. Most folk would have played Campbell who would have struggled and most would have played Leigh left back. Team selection is part of tactics. But most importantly, when we broke we did it perfectly with the right players moving at the right time. We slowed it down when needed to, and there was no "game management". McKenna got very tight to their number 9 and gave him nothing, Considine high on his man too. Probably the best we've played this season (not saying that much).

I was drinking ginger beer (non alcoholic) this morning Manc!

An absolutely fantastic performance by the whole team (bar Logan's now customary brainfart which led to their penalty). As has been said, Leigh was excellent in midfield. Vyner also had his best game in an Aberdeen shirt, scoring a cracker into the bargain. McGinn very good also with a cracking goal and Cosgrove added another million to his value with the best of the lot...what a finish!. But my m.o.m. today was Gallagher who covered every inch of the park and his passing actually seemed to find our own players for a change.

I'm not convinced putting the same side out against Celtic would work but on that performance no one deserves to be dropped ( maybe Logan who possibly needs taken out for a few weeks for his own good as well as the team's). But having written next week off as a banker zero points, I'm now cautiously optimistic that we can get something out the game.

COYR

Well, aye, fair enough. We played our 4-2-3-1 to perfection despite missing our midfield. Most folk would have played Campbell who would have struggled and most would have played Leigh left back. Team selection is part of tactics. But most importantly, when we broke we did it perfectly with the right players moving at the right time. We slowed it down when needed to, and there was no "game management". McKenna got very tight to their number 9 and gave him nothing, Considine high on his man too. Probably the best we've played this season (not saying that much).

I think McInnes will get credit for playing the right players in the right positions today!

I wasn't there, didn't see it nor did I listen to any commentary but in the short time I was in the car, Willie Miller was amazed at how well Aberdeen were playing and as he waxing lyrically, the third went in and I look forward to seeing the highlights because that's the most enthusiasm he's ever had in his life. It was an absolute belter* apparently.

Richard Gordon was being cautious at this point but Willie pointed out that it's in the bag as Motherwell were shite and "had no route to goal". Stephen Thomson also said on the telly that "Motherwell were poor" and everyone was of opinion that you couldn't see this (result) coming.

To be fair to McInnes, he has pulled some rabbits over the years, totally unexpected great results following consistently shite performances.

* I refuse to use "worldy", the favoured term of the guffy alcoholic known as Merse. It's a very English saying.

Just home from one of those fucking Pathetic Gender Reveal Parties  ::) ( It was my younger Brother's though, so had to go )

I managed to watch the first 65 minutes though, and I am very pleased that I got my prediction all wrong. I thought we'd be bullied and outplayed today, but after the opening 5 minutes, we were by far the better team, not sure where Robinson is getting the whole " We totally dominated the 1st Half " from.

Like everyone else I am sure, I was scratching my head at the 11, but it's clear that McInnes did in fact work on something different on the training ground and we reaped the reward for it. The goals were all excellent, Cosgrove in general was very good, Vyner & Leigh in Midfield were also very good. Gallagher buzzed around and was pretty decent, as was McGinn, and I thought Devlin & McKenna were very solid. Everyone was good, even Logan after the brainfart that gifted them a Penalty, which was a clear dive by the way, replays back it up.

All in all, well done McInnes and the Players, that's FAR more like it, we mixed it up well today, some good phases of play in amongst the long balls to Cosgrove. I really hope we build on this though and don't revert to type!

I'm not Cosgrove's biggest fan but 20 mins in he hadn't put a foot wrong. His movement and touch were excellent, he was lively and sharp. Didn't see much of the second half but maybe the boy just needed a little break. Super finish, wish he'd done the same with a near identical opportunity later in the first half.

Just home from one of those fucking Pathetic Gender Reveal Parties  ::) ( It was my younger Brother's though, so had to go )

I managed to watch the first 65 minutes though, and I am very pleased that I got my prediction all wrong. I thought we'd be bullied and outplayed today, but after the opening 5 minutes, we were by far the better team, not sure where Robinson is getting the whole " We totally dominated the 1st Half " from.

Like everyone else I am sure, I was scratching my head at the 11, but it's clear that McInnes did in fact work on something different on the training ground and we reaped the reward for it. The goals were all excellent, Cosgrove in general was very good, Vyner & Leigh in Midfield were also very good. Gallagher buzzed around and was pretty decent, as was McGinn, and I thought Devlin & McKenna were very solid. Everyone was good, even Logan after the brainfart that gifted them a Penalty, which was a clear dive by the way, replays back it up.

All in all, well done McInnes and the Players, that's FAR more like it, we mixed it up well today, some good phases of play in amongst the long balls to Cosgrove. I really hope we build on this though and don't revert to type!

Problem is we play Celtic next and I expect a totally different approach.

Does anybody think that Fergie will/should have to fight his way back in?

I personally believe that Ferguson is in the same League as the Wright's/McLennan's/Anderson's. I don't think he should be a starter every week and think he's vastly overrated by many people, a lot of it down to the header vs Rangers and Overhead Kick vs Burnley, other than that, he's contributed very little over a 90 minute game and you don't hear people talking about him these days, do you? Purely because he's not scoring goals. He's a petulant little shit at times and gives away pathetic fouls, his passing leaves a lot to be desired and he's quite sluggish.

Having said that, I do believe he can develop into a good solid SPFL Midfielder, he's still young, he has a good physique and hopefully he can learn from the likes of Bryson & Gleeson, 2 very experienced Midfielders. I don't think he's been helped in the sense that he's played a hell of a lot of Games, even last season, we had opportunities to rest him, but we didn't.

As I said, that's just my opinion, I have been very consistent with it regarding Ferguson, but Greg Leigh, a Left Back, and Zak Vyner, a CB/RB, showed more composure, better discipline and played better Footaball in one game today, than Ferguson has in lots.