Lee Miller and Barry Nicholson in for contract talks next week

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nicholson won’t let cup debacle influence future

By Michael Gannon

Published: 14/04/2008

Barry Nicholson reckons it will take a long time for Aberdeen to recover from their humiliating defeat by Queen of the South in the Scottish Cup semi-final at Hampden.

The Aberdeen midfielder will not, however, let the massive disappointment influence his decision on his future at the club.

Nicholson, who is out of contract in the summer, is set to decide whether or not to accept a new offer within the next 10 days – and a host of English Championship clubs are watching.

Nicholson scored Aberdeen’s second equaliser as they fell behind three times to First Division Queens before former Dons attacker John Stewart scored the winner to inflict one of the biggest Scottish Cup shocks of all time on the Pittodrie club.

Another former Dons player, Steve Tosh, gave the Doonhamers a first-half lead, with Paul Burns and Sean O’Connor also scoring for the Dumfries men. Andrew Considine twice levelled, either side of Nicholson’s goal, before Stewart earned Queens a place in the final.

Nicholson said: “This will not have anything to do with my choice in the summer. The decision will be down to whether or not I want a fresh challenge.

“It is a very sore one and it will take a long time for the players to get over this.

“It was a great chance for us to get to a major cup final and we have let the supporters and ourselves down badly. We did not start very brightly and they got the goal. Once we scored you would have thought we could have gone on and taken confidence from it, but they managed to get in front a couple of times.â€

Nicholson accepted that Aberdeen’s woeful defending cost them again, but insisted the entire team is to blame.

He said: “Not just the defence was poor, but our defending all over the park.

“We had some chances. Zander Diamond hit the post and bar and I had a shot saved late on.

“But if you concede goals like that then you do not deserve to win.

“It has been a season of highs and lows, but mistakes have cost us.

“I don’t think it was a lack of effort. I think everyone gave their all, but we made mistakes and lacked sufficient composure.â€

So they've got another 10 days to decide have they?  ::)

Pandering to a couple of cunts who aren't showing any interest in the cause is hardly following Willie Miller's statement of "we only want players who want to play for Aberdeen" now is it.

How about sign by Friday or you're out the door come summer whether you've got a club or not.

So they've got another 10 days to decide have they?   ::)

Pandering to a couple of cunts who aren't showing any interest in the cause is hardly following Willie Miller's statement of "we only want players who want to play for Aberdeen" now is it.

How about sign by Friday or you're out the door come summer whether you've got a club or not.

Think you're being far to lenient there ST..... if it was down to me, I'd haul their arse's in after training this morning, and say there is your new contract, take it away and come in with it signed tomorrow at 9 o'clock or don't bother coming back full stop.

I know I was arguing against folk who were saying that Nicholson and Miller shouldn't be getting a game again until they sign, but the difference now is we have absoutely FUCK ALL left to play for this season.

Nicholson and Miller were two of the better players on saturday, but when I read they were getting another 10 days, I thought it was a joke. As much as I am sad to see them both leaving and quite scared of the future without them, we need to blood some youngsters and not play these two. We have nothing to play for now and nothing to lose.

Think you're being far to lenient there ST..... if it was down to me, I'd haul their arse's in after training this morning, and say there is your new contract, take it away and come in with it signed tomorrow at 9 o'clock or don't bother coming back full stop.

I know I was arguing against folk who were saying that Nicholson and Miller shouldn't be getting a game again until they sign, but the difference now is we have absoutely FUCK ALL left to play for this season.

However unlikely it may sound, we can still mathematically get 3rd place.  Its probably not going to happen, but the team should go for it in the next two games.  If we don't win both, then bin Miller and Nicholson if they haven't signed, and play some youngsters.

However unlikely it may sound, we can still mathematically get 3rd place.  Its probably not going to happen, but the team should go for it in the next two games.  If we don't win both, then bin Miller and Nicholson if they haven't signed, and play some youngsters.

Mathematically possible I can accept, but in all honesty not even the most positive thinking person in the world can hold any kind of hope of it happening

Possible replacements for all of our out of contract players should have been identified well into last year so that as soon as it hit Janusry 1st, we could make a move for these players, offer the players we wanted to keep the best offer we could, and operate on a first come first served basis.

These players have now got us over a barrel and there's no way whoever at the club is responsible should have let it come this far.

Its also set a prescedent as why would anyone sign a contract at aberdeen if they know they can leave it till the last minute and if they dont get a better offer they can still sign on.

they should have stuck to the original deadline, it might be different if we were talking about top class players but if barry nic and lee miller can hold us to ransom what chance have we got....

Another 10 days? What an insult to the management and more importantly to us, the support. They are now ONLY waiting for the chumpionship vultures to start circling. We wont get third place, blood some younsters, who might actually fight for the jersey. They should get dumped on the bench the rest of the season.

Guest ally s

I'd have told Barry Nic to do one long before now.  He clearly doesn't want to play for the club beyond this season.  We're out the Cup now with no chance of UEFA Cup football next season.  Do the decent thing and tell the fans you're leaving.  Same goes for Miller.