Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Lee Miller and Barry Nicholson in for contract talks next week

It's not beyond the realms of fantasy that Lee Miller has been asked to take a pay cut.  If any of us were placed in that position, we'd want to hold our cards close to our chest too.

I'd suggest it is almost a definite that he has been.

I'd also say he should be offered a pay cut. Over the piece he has had what could only be termed as an 'acceptable' performance this season and he has been over-paid by SPL standards for this performance. Simple equation is reduced wage in the future.

Now if he was banging in 15-20 goals I'd argue differently. He will be getting paid quite a bit more than Hunt (possibly not?), Fletcher, Clarkson, Nish, Porter, McCormick etc and they are all performing ahead of him. I'd like to know on what grounds he might be feeling hard done by.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd also say he should be offered a pay cut. Over the piece he has had what could only be termed as an 'acceptable' performance this season and he has been over-paid by SPL standards for this performance.

I agree his performance for last season and most part  of this season has been unacceptable. I feel they are both just waiting for better offers else where.

Would like Barry Nic to stay but would prefer Lovell to get offered new contract than keeping Miller.

the bit in the article that stood out for me was the bit about telling young his season was over.

What kind of manager tells a player that his seasons over? How is that supposed to work? The fact that Young gave him a dirty look back kind of tells you that the player didn't appreciate it. And then he blabs that the incident to the press?

You have to wonder sometimes about what goes through calderwoods head?

In one of Fergies book's he talks about dealing with the press, and how you never mention the other team just before you play them as it can only back fire.

You build up your team, reinforce ideas you have been saying to your players, and sow seeds of doubt about your tactics. You only mention your enemy's when you are not playing them (like Fergie's classic that caused Newcastle and Keagan to blow it). And you never seperate your players from the team unless it is to praise them.

Yet before rangers last week all we heard was how great wee barry was - and this week he is giving an ultimatum to 2 players, and telling another to go off on holiday.

I wonder if Miller and Nicholson have already got deals lined up elsewhere, deals that were possibly on the table in January but did not go through due to whichever club not wanting to pay a fee.

I hope they both stay but would not be surprised at all if they left.

The way we do our business on contracts is 'sloppy'..

I wonder if Miller and Nicholson have already got deals lined up elsewhere, deals that were possibly on the table in January but did not go through due to whichever club not wanting to pay a fee.

I hope they both stay but would not be surprised at all if they left.

The way we do our business on contracts is 'sloppy'..

Schloppy :lolabove:

Which is their porogative.  Of course, if AFC had got their act together and put in contract offers well before January then we wouldn't be having this problem and planning and "scouting" could be well down the line for next season.  With players still in limbo we still do not know what we need for next season!!

The players wid still wait till January tae weigh up their options.

Is there still no further news on this matter ?

This really pisses me off ! I know I might just be impatient but this newspaper report was dated 7th March and stated that Calderwood planned to get answers from the 2 after the Celtic game so he could start making plans, the longer this issue is left the more chance of more interest in the 2 players and we will definitely loose them.  Also as K-9 pointed out in another thread we should make signing Alan Maybury on a precontract a priority before others move in, and as Big Al rightly pointed out we need to watch out for Harry Potter trying to take him to Tannadice. 

It always seem the way that Aberdeen piss about and take so long that they end up loosing players and giving other teams the chance to move in and beat us to players and then we end up with the usual dross that is left floating about pre season !

Come on Aberdeen give the fans a boost and sort out signing up some these players so at least we have a chance when Jimmy starts the rebuilding job on the team

>:(

Does that not tell you something? If they were staying would have thought the timing would be right to announce before replay. Suggests to me that they have refused the offers. 

Sounds more like he wants to know whether or not we'll be getting cash from a top 6 finish and a possible cup final before making solid contract offers.

Sounds more like he wants to know whether or not we'll be getting cash from a top 6 finish and a possible cup final before making solid contract offers.

I am sure that a few weeks ago JC was saying final offers have been made and we are awaiting the players decisions. I do hope i am wrong and they both sign. Also it worries me if we dont make top 6 as to what standard of players we get with the money available to replace them.  :-\

I am sure that a few weeks ago JC was saying final offers have been made and we are awaiting the players decisions. I do hope i am wrong and they both sign. Also it worries me if we dont make top 6 as to what standard of players we get with the money available to replace them.  :-\

Its OK, we still have Fund a Don to save us!

Source or same conclusion as rest of us have reached ???

Just coming to a conclusion mate.

I watched Nicholson a lot on Saturday and he played ok but you know when you get the feeling someone isn't doing quite what they can?

He pinged a great goal and made some tremendous runs into the box but there were times when I swear you could see him pulling out of challenges, maybe it was just me.

He got MOTM but I'm effed if I know how, Miller was the best player on the park by some distance.

Star man Barry set to ditch the Dons

Gretna game goal hero could be set to move on

By Charlie Allan  :wanker:

Published: 17/03/2008

BARRY Nicholson has dropped the heaviest hint yet that he is planning to leave the Dons.

Dons midfielder Nicholson, the star performer in Aberdeen’s 3-0 SPL victory over doomed Gretna at Pittodrie, has yet to confirm if he wants to renew his contract, which expires at the end of the season.

Dons boss Jimmy Calderwood hopes to speak to Nicholson later this week in a last ditch bid to persuade the midfielder to stay.

But, in an interview after the Gretna game, Scotland international and former Rangers player Nicholson seemed to suggest he has already made his mind up and plans to explore the possibility of securing a more lucrative deal, most probably in England.

Nicholson said: “I obviously had a tough decision to make, just as some of the Gretna lads had to decide whether to play against us or not.

“But when it comes down to it you have to look after yourself, number one is the main priority.â€

Calderwood admitted he is concerned he will get bad news from Nicholson, who also played under him at Dunfermline before making a £200,000 switch to Pittodrie.

Calderwood said: “Barry hasn’t told me what he plans to do, but the longer it goes on the more worried you get.

“I will speak to him over the next few days and keep trying to convince Barry to stay.

“It’s a concern though because I was always optimistic that Markus Heikkinen Kevin McNaughton would stay and we know what happened with them.

“It would be a massive disappointment if Barry goes as well because he was one of the priority signings for me when I came to Aberdeen.

“Maybe he will tell me he is tired of my moaning and wants a change, we will just have to wait and see.â€

The uncertainty over Nicholson’s future won’t affect his status as one of the most important players in Calderwood’s plans for the rest of the campaign.

He scored a memorable third goal in the win over Gretna, his seventh of the season.

And Dons boss Calderwood believes the midfielder could also be their match winner in tomorrow night’s Scottish Cup quarter-final replay with Celtic in Glasgow. “Barry has played for me a long time now and he has never let me down in the big games against the Old Firm,†he said.

“I’m sure it will be the same again tomorrow, he really relishes the challenge of facing Celtic and Rangers, especially in Glasgow.

“He stood out against Barry Ferguson at Ibrox a couple of weeks ago and if we get that sort of performance from Barry again tomorrow night we will have a great chance of getting the win we all want.â€