Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Lee Miller and Barry Nicholson in for contract talks next week

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, god forbid they have tp do anything else with thier lives once the grand old age of 35 sets in...

If I had the choice, I wouldn't. In fact, if someone gave me a a choice of doing something that would ensure that I could do nothing - or more accurately, that would see me free to do whatever I choose, then I'd bite their hand off.

It's just a job for the vast majority of them. They may start out as fans like the rest of us, they may even go back to being fans when they finish playing, but ultimately it is work and people work to get paid. I had great ideas about a sparkling career when I started out, but things change, work is less important than my personal life, and while I still want to do well professionally, my main concern is getting paid well enough to enjoy the other things life has to offer. Ok, there are status things that come with winning trophies and competing in Europe, but when it comes down to it, it's a living. Playing in Europe could amount to going out to a Scandinavian/Eastern European nobody, and lets face it, we don't exactly have a heaving trophy cabinet at the moment.

Guest bloo_toon_red

If I had the choice, I wouldn't. In fact, if someone gave me a a choice of doing something that would ensure that I could do nothing - or more accurately, that would see me free to do whatever I choose, then I'd bite their hand off.

It's just a job for the vast majority of them. They may start out as fans like the rest of us, they may even go back to being fans when they finish playing, but ultimately it is work and people work to get paid. I had great ideas about a sparkling career when I started out, but things change, work is less important than my personal life, and while I still want to do well professionally, my main concern is getting paid well enough to enjoy the other things life has to offer. Ok, there are status things that come with winning trophies and competing in Europe, but when it comes down to it, it's a living. Playing in Europe could amount to going out to a Scandinavian/Eastern European nobody, and lets face it, we don't exactly have a heaving trophy cabinet at the moment.

Spot on.

My best mate is a former professional footballer whom when released from a top SPL club, decided he didn't want to drop down a level because it would mean at the end of it all he'd have to make an alternative living.  Luckily for him he was pretty bright and went and got himself a degree.  Moral of the story is if you're good enough to make the best living you can, you will do.  I desperately want Barry Nic to stay, but at 29 you can understand him looking to secure a better life for him and his family.  It's just a great pity that that will have to be away from Aberdeen FC.

Agreed min. That's the pragmatic view. Also the difference in money moving to the English Championship is vast.

Agreed min. That's the pragmatic view. Also the difference in money moving to the English Championship is vast.

On that note, wiz readin the ither day that Derek Riordan is on 14k a wik at the tattie-dome.  At's kar-ay-zee!  :-\

Fook me, that is mental. I thought he would be on about 8-10k

Tell me aboot it, he said it himsel saying that he didnae just go tae Celtic for 14k a week, he wanted tae play as well, but that Strachan wiz stoppin him.  Think he'd be a crackin player for us but there's no way on earth we can afford tae even contemplate competing with that sorta wage.  Championship football it is for Riordan then  ::)

Can anyone explain why these English clubs can afford these 'Film-Star' salaries they pay to average footballers?  Are their crowds vastly superior to ours, better prize money at stake, better sponsorship and TV money?

Or are they living on borrowed time and falling into the trap of overspending like most Scottish clubs were until a few years ago?

It's a double edged sword really.  Even in my line of work I could work in some pretty stunning locations but nowhere in the world just now can match the money I get in Aberdeen.  The opposite can be said for Barry Nicholson, while Afc may give him a better quality of football life (ie Bayern Munich, Cup semis etc) the big bucks are to be found elsewhere.

I think he'll be a big loss.  :(

Can anyone explain why these English clubs can afford these 'Film-Star' salaries they pay to average footballers?  Are their crowds vastly superior to ours, better prize money at stake, better sponsorship and TV money?

Answered the question yersel min, the teams that have been in the Premiership, and are then relegated, get some sort of compensation up to 5 years (ah think) after they've been relegated.  They prob take bigger risks because of the lure o' the Premiership and it's cash as well.

The latest deal between Sky/BBC and the English Fitba league was worth over £260 million and starts next year if ah remember right.  :-\

I think the average Championship salary was only 4k a week in 2006. Hardly much more than AFC pay.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/163676000-the-average-salary-of-a-premiership-footballer-in-2006-473659.html

Objectively you can hardly blame any of them for looking for more money but that wont stop me calling them mercenary basturts when they leave. I'm not that objective you see.

A cautionary tale, Partick Thistle in 2 years.

I think the average Championship salary was only 4k a week in 2006. Hardly much more than AFC pay.

We cannae hae many players on 4k a week though, if any?!?  Ah guess our average wage is nearer 1k a week

I'd say, Severin, Miller and Zander are all on 4k + are they not?

Like fuck they are.  Surely not.  :-\

Ah thought it was common knowledge we took ower Miller's contract fae the Jutes and it was just ower 3k a wik

Aberdeen will announce whether midfielder Barry Nicholson is to remain with the club within the next 10 days.

The 29-year-old is out-of-contract at the end of the season, but his future has been put aside ahead of their Scottish Cup semi-final.

Dons manager Jimmy Calderwood said: "We are going to get it sorted in a week to 10 days."

Nicholson said he must choose between a good offer from Aberdeen or seek a fresh challenge elsewhere.

Aberdeen persuaded defender Zander Diamond to sign a new contract.

But the Dons lost two key players in January when Chris Clark left for Plymouth Argyle and Michael Hart moved to Preston North End, the English Championship pair being able to pay much higher wages.

It is more about whether I want to try something different, not if I would make some money for myself

Aberdeen midfielder

Barry Nicholson

"The decision I have been making along with another couple of boys is whether to try something different," Nicholson said ahead of Saturday's meeting with Queen of the South.

"It's not really all about money as the contract that the club has offered is really good.

"It's still undecided, but I don't know if trophies or qualifying for European football is going to change the situation.

"The decision will be coming out in the open pretty soon."

Nicholson, who joined the Dons from Dunfermline in 2005, stressed that he was not unhappy at Pittodrie with Calderwood and assistant Jimmy Nicholl.

"I really love playing here and working under the two Jimmies, while there is a good atmosphere in the dressing-room," he said.

"But it's well known that the clubs down south pay more and, in the later stages of your career, you have to look after yourself a bit more.

"However, it is more about whether I want to try something different, not if I would make some money for myself."