Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Cup - Dundee - dons - sun

The best thing that happened to us was Dundee taking that Johnson off, he was bullying Considine & McKenna all afternoon. Sad state of affairs really, McKenna needs dropped/sold. Get that Vyner in at CB beside Considine and then we can see what happens when Taylor and Devlin are fit. We know what we're getting with Taylor though, not an improvement by any stretch and Devlin seems to be in the team then straight back out again because he seems to be made of glass.

Really hope there is another signing incoming, we still lack creativity from the middle of the park, Bryson still a few games away from being up to speed but hopefully he sparks something if we don't add another body.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bryson seemd to be playing as a deep cm  ? that is not his position is it ?

Think he started out as an attacking midfielder. Likely doing as a lot of midfielders do and dropping further back as age starts to affect his stamina. Foreby that...with Ferguson out the only other option would have been Campbell. As it turns out Campbell was the better option...……………………...

We were awful for huge chunks of the game today and could easily been 3-0 down by half time. We were so predictable in attack that Dundee were easily able to cope with most of our attempts to attack. It teams can stop us getting wide we quickly resort to hoofing the ball long as we have zero creation in midfield. It was only down to Dundee running out of steam in the last 10 minutes that we got in to game. However a win is a win and we are still in the cup which is the main thing. Cannot help thinking it is just papering over the cracks and that we are going to take a fearful doing off both sides of the old firm if we keep playing this way.

Christ, those highlights really were as bad as you'd all made them out to be. However, bottom line is, DM managed to change it up and we got a result.  Somehow, we're through and that's the main thing. Bonus missing either of the cheeks, but we'll have to be much better to get a result against Hearts.

I have said on here before that the sense of entitlement amongst our support is bewildering at times. We've had a poor week but are we expecting our team to win every week now or something? We are not Real Madrid, Barcelona or Juventus - we are a team with the third biggest budget in the league (light years behind the second biggest and marginally bigger than fourth and five biggest). Why the sudden notion that we are massively underachieving? Most people on here agreed a month ago that the manager had recruited well in the summer yet after letting him sign 9 new players you would sack him TWO games into the league season?

Jesus, nae this again. ::) It's nae about expecting to win every game. It's about how we're approaching these games! I do expect to see 110% from every player in every game and that doesn't sound anywhere near what we got against Dundee. Being outfought is not acceptable at any level. For the record I don't think there's anything wrong with expecting to win every game we've played so far this season. We've only faced teams poorer than ourselves which means we should win. Mitigating circumstances such as fitness so early in the season aside. If we get beat we analyse it and depending on what we find we deal with it in different ways. Whether that's giving it in the neck to McInnes or shouting at our chairman to fund more players etc. Rijeka aren't a bad side but they're not better than us. They have an average home gate of between 4 and 5 thousand. That puts their gates at roughly the same as a Falkirk or a Ross County. (Although I can assure you the latter two are charging a hell of a lot more than £11 a ticket to get in!) So what did McInnes see that he was so afraid of? What spooked him so much that he approached the first leg of the tie like we were playing said Real Madrid; resulting in an entirely avoidable defeat which would have prevented his hand being forced in leg 2.

Maybe it's the club who have a sense of entitlement expecting fans to spunk their money into the club no matter what shite they're serving us. Wish to fuck I didn't renew.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

Jesus, nae this again. ::)It's nae about expecting to win every game. It's about how we're approaching these games! I do expect to see 110% from every player in every game and that doesn't sound anywhere near what we got against Dundee. Being outfought is not acceptable at any level. For the record I don't think there's anything wrong with expecting to win every game we've played so far this season. We've only faced teams poorer than ourselves which means we should win. Mitigating circumstances such as fitness so early in the season aside. If we get beat we analyse it and depending on what we find we deal with it in different ways. Whether that's giving it in the neck to McInnes or shouting at our chairman to fund more players etc. Rijeka aren't a bad side but they're not better than us. They have an average home gate of between 4 and 5 thousand. That puts their gates at roughly the same as a Falkirk or a Ross County. (Although I can assure you the latter two are charging a hell of a lot more than £11 a ticket to get in!) So what did McInnes see that he was so afraid of? What spooked him so much that he approached the first leg of the tie like we were playing said Real Madrid; resulting in an entirely avoidable defeat which would have prevented his hand being forced in leg 2.

Maybe it's the club who have a sense of entitlement expecting fans to spunk their money into the club no matter what shite they're serving us. Wish to fuck I didn't renew.

I rest my case  :rofl:

Which part is incorrect in your opinion?

In my opinion, the bit about Rijeka being a worse team than us. I'd have put them better than us, and better than Hertz but probably not quite as good as the hun (this season). However, when you're in Europe, it's generally difficult to tell how good a team are going to be in comparison to your own team because of the differences between the leagues, early in the season etc. So a team like Rijeka who are at least as good as us, you would generally be quite cautious away from home and try and sneak a goal. You wouldn't go all out in case they turn out to be better than expected and you get a hoofing. You keep it tight and when they begin to get frustrated and start pushing forward more in the last half hour of the game then you catch them out with a quick break. We failed because of a total fuck up by Logan, before which they had about 1 shot on goal. I think those are acceptable tactics in a game like the Rijeka one. They failed, of course, but the decision to play like that wasn't illogical.

In my opinion, the bit about Rijeka being a worse team than us. I'd have put them better than us, and better than Hertz but probably not quite as good as the hun (this season). However, when you're in Europe, it's generally difficult to tell how good a team are going to be in comparison to your own team because of the differences between the leagues, early in the season etc. So a team like Rijeka who are at least as good as us, you would generally be quite cautious away from home and try and sneak a goal. You wouldn't go all out in case they turn out to be better than expected and you get a hoofing. You keep it tight and when they begin to get frustrated and start pushing forward more in the last half hour of the game then you catch them out with a quick break. We failed because of a total fuck up by Logan, before which they had about 1 shot on goal. I think those are acceptable tactics in a game like the Rijeka one. They failed, of course, but the decision to play like that wasn't illogical.

Fair enough Rico. But the one (shitey) effort that we had on target the whole game says to me that there was no interest in genuinely trying to sneak a goal. We were trying to sneak a 0-0 draw. We quickly saw in that game that they weren't good and an on the fly tactical change was required. In my opinion. Rijeka weren't good and we should have been more adventurous.

Shout out to Hearts whose eye-gougingly bad style of play makes us look like world beaters.

Fair enough Rico. But the one (shitey) effort that we had on target the whole game says to me that there was no interest in genuinely trying to sneak a goal. We were trying to sneak a 0-0 draw. We quickly saw in that game that they weren't good and an on the fly tactical change was required. In my opinion. Rijeka weren't good and we should have been more adventurous.

Shout out to Hearts whose eye-gougingly bad style of play makes us look like world beaters.

I think there were 2 x 20+ yard trundlers on target thanks very much! I know what you mean though, I'd have thought that at 0-0 at half time there might have been a change in tactic. That said, and noticeably more so at Pittodrie, they were decent at retaining possession and very good at pressing in the midfield, which meant changes would have been difficult with existing personnel (Ojo, especially, struggled over both legs but then as did Campbell when he came on). McInnes does tend to err on the side of caution, and that seems to be the difference in games like these (Maribor, and Limassol spring to mind), but I don't think we should over-estimate our squad's ability either as appeared to be happening post-Hearts. I still don't think we'll get close to the team we had a couple of season ago with Hayes, McGinn and Rooney banging in shite-loads and Considine firing hat-tricks for a laugh. In the end, I think that is our major issue.

I think there were 2 x 20+ yard trundlers on target thanks very much! I know what you mean though, I'd have thought that at 0-0 at half time there might have been a change in tactic. That said, and noticeably more so at Pittodrie, they were decent at retaining possession and very good at pressing in the midfield, which meant changes would have been difficult with existing personnel (Ojo, especially, struggled over both legs but then as did Campbell when he came on). McInnes does tend to err on the side of caution, and that seems to be the difference in games like these (Maribor, and Limassol spring to mind), but I don't think we should over-estimate our squad's ability either as appeared to be happening post-Hearts. I still don't think we'll get close to the team we had a couple of season ago with Hayes, McGinn and Rooney banging in shite-loads and Considine firing hat-tricks for a laugh. In the end, I think that is our major issue.

I think what you are missing is yes we had Hayes, McGinn, and Rooney on fire but what we miss is the McLean, Christie, Maddison in the middle of the park who threaten centrally. They can penetrate or pick a pass, and score. We give it wide to guys who are inconsistent or on the decline and slowing down, or dump long ball. Both are relatively easy to stop. We have run out of creativity.

I think what you are missing is yes we had Hayes, McGinn, and Rooney on fire but what we miss is the McLean, Christie, Maddison in the middle of the park who threaten centrally. They can penetrate or pick a pass, and score. We give it wide to guys who are inconsistent or on the decline and slowing down, or dump long ball. Both are relatively easy to stop. We have run out of creativity.

Aye, absolutely. Jack in there too, just allowed the game to be played in front of him, covering Logan and even Considine when they went up the pitch. We've not replaced most of those players (Cosgrove probably doing the best job of replacing Rooney, as McGinn isn't replacing McGinn currently!).