Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dons v RoPS 1st Leg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disappointing end but solid enough and plenty of positives. See us moving in to the next round. Good performances, only gripes being big Sam not scoring a few and Scotty Wright, just not involved enough for a number ten, needs to have a bigger influence on the game.

Decent enough performance in spells. We should have scored 4 or 5. Cosgrove poor (although improved in the second) - he's just nae very bright. Gallagher looked good, will be a handful for quite a few teams with that pace - looks a bit weak on finishing. After a good game, Logan gave away a stupid pass, but Ferguson was very poor defensively the whole game and gave the guy too much pace to make what was an excellent pass. Definitely need another midfielder. Some pretty nice stuff from us times though and moving the ball quickly, which was nice to see. Wasn't convinced by Hedges, he was okay in parts, but didn't seem to understand the defensive side of the game at all, it was like watching Stewart. We need to just deal with them over there, we're a far better team than them. The back four looked decent, but little protection from midfield. Campbell could do with a loan move to get used to the pace of the game at first team level.

Good to see Wilson wearing number 8, which should mean Gleeson hasn't been given a strip.

Overall, didn't think it was a bad performance given that it was our first competitive game of the season. A fully match fit team beats them about 5 or 6 nil. I thought Cosgrove had a bit of a shocker in front of goal, despite scoring one. Should have scored a good few more with those free headers. We definitely lack bite in the middle but thought we created a reasonable amount. Can't say I was overly impressed with hedges but maybe I wasn't paying attention. Didn't think he did anything wrong mind.

Missed their goal as I was in work. Was a shame as I don't think we deserved to concede. Watching it made me miss Pittodrie a wee bit. Always enjoyed those summer trips up.

Also, McGinns goal, very cute finish. That's the McGinn we know and love.

A decent enough game to watch, we played some good stuff at times and should have scored way more than two, but their keeper had a decent evening.

I liked the look of the new guys, thought Gallagher had pace to burn, Hedges looks like he may need a little time before we see the best of him, but he does look like he has ability, but will hold off until I have seen them over a few games. I think me missed a bit of experience in the middle of the park, Ferguson was like a headless chicken at times and showed we need another CM in as it looks like Gleeson is out the door.

Disappointing to lose the goal and they will be well up for for the return leg with that late goal, but they should have been out of the match long before the 90 minute mark.

That Piper before the game started was fecking awful.

This should be done and dusted but a mixture of great goal keeping and poor finishing followed by a defensive howler means RoPS are still in it. Hard to judge any of the new players on last night as RoPS are one of the worst teams I have seen at Pittodrie in a long time. We should still go through but due to our own failings it’s going to be harder that it should have been.

Decent enough performance, although we looked a bit rusty.

Lewis never had a save to make all night but was picking the ball out the net, at the very end, unbelievable :dunno:

Very impressed with the lad Gallagher (looks very like Jamie Smith the way he moves), & Hedges looks okay.

Thought McKenna was a rock last night & Logan looked good up till his costly error at the end :hammer:

Scott Wright has to do more imo! big chance for him last night, the boy Sissoko looked decent for them last night i thought & their keeper played a blinder.  Surprised D.M never hooked Cosgrove & replaced him with Main, especially as he was on a yellow, Cosgrove really should have bulged the net on about 5 occasions, missing 3 or 4 sitters.

I can still see us scoring & winning over there though, but we dont half make life hard for ourselves. :confused:

inability to score continues to be an issue, this isnt done and dusted

Sadly I concur. Inability to score may well come back to haunt us over in Finland. We had enough chances last night to have scored 6 or 7 but some dreadful finishing.....Cosgrove being the main offender...…..allied to an utter brainfart by Logan has given RoPS a more than decent chance of pamping us out. I don't think it will happen but we will need to score over there.

On the plus side, Gallagher looks a real find. Problem being if he keeps that kind of form up, with us only having him till January, other clubs will start to also show an interest. If we can do a deal with Atlanta now to get him in permanent he shouldn't cost too much.

Not impressed with Hedges at all.

Early days though.

I thought Logan was a contender for man of the match until that dreadful mistake at the end.

If we try to hold them to 0-0 over there then we may well be out, have a go at them and we're through comfortably.

I thought we played quite well, Gallagher was immense, running constantly and looked a threat whenever he was on the ball.  Mckenna I though was solid throughout, looked more like the player that was attracting the big money bids the season before last. Gutted that we conceded right at the end, the defence just switched off.

Cosgrove should have been pulled for Main. I know he got on the scoresheet but he missed 3 or 4 cracking opportunities as well, chances that I actually think it was harder to miss!!

We need to attack this team in the away leg, they had no answer for Gallagher and McGinn and everytime we attacked them down the flanks we were creating chances.

Thought Hedges was decent on another night would have had a brace.

Gallagher is lightning. Sometimes rushed his final ball though, that may have been due to him not expecting to be where he was (he was often starting 5 yards behind the defender and still getting to a the ball first)/no-one being able to keep up with him.

Did we switch to a back 3 with Logan playing CDM for a bit?

Hopefully Wilson with another weeks fitness starts next week.

Surprised by the concerns regarding hedges, I thought it was an impressive debut. Gallagher looks a find and gives us competition at right back, as well as depth in multiple positions. I know it’s only one game but would be a good permanent signing. Disappointed in Cosgrove, should have finished the tie for us, and despite last years goals I’m not a fan. Would like to see Main for the second leg. Still rely too much on Ferguson, would like to see two more central mids signed.

Not a bad performance and their goal was certainly deflating but I expect 2-0, 3-0 us next week.

I really wish I shared your optimism. RoPS showed on a few occasions that they are lightning fast on the break. If our new left back is still out next week, they could pose us a big threat utilising that pace. A good number of our fans are writing RoPS off as total shyte. They aint.

I take no pleasure in saying that my score prediction and how that scoreline would be achieved was eerily accurate. I have also predicted we will need to score in Finland to progress....possibly more than once. I think we will do and progress but we cannot afford to be as profligate again in any match going forward. I'd be dropping Cosgrove and starting Main in Rovaniemi as he will contribute more to a team effort.

Maybe I'm easily pleased either that or very simple but I thoroughly enjoyed Thursday evening watching my team playing on a European stage for eighteenth time. Guess after spending four hours on public transport just to attend and not getting home til following day around 8.15pm one is always aware how much any victory at Pittodrie does mean to me personally speaking especially now given we ain't far away from the old place being knocked down plus private life struggle with anxiety/depression experienced since February 2018.