Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Kilmarnock v Aberdeen

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously let us get it out of the way first & foremost, we will take that, of course we will.

However, serious questions need to be asked about what the fuck that was meant to be in terms of a game plan? Aimless balls yet again into channels, failure to string 2-3 passes together, unless it was between McKenna & Devlin & around 3 shots in the entire match, on and off target. I appreciate all that matters is the 3 points, but we were brutal & that's the biggest steal I have ever witnessed.

Again, our manager panders to shithousery in terms of being a negative cunt, low and behold, we throw subs on, start being positive and end up winning. I am getting extremely frustrated with his negativity and showing far too much respect to our opposition, we are, or have been, the 2nd best team in the fucking country, yet we are playing like bottom 6 pish, because we're being set up like that, this result only papers over alarming cracks. We require another Striker & creative midfielder, they are a minimum, and Graeme Shinnie needs to pull his finger out of his fucking arse, he is not showing Captain qualities and his performance today was very below par.

As for the Shinnie and Ball debate, Shinnie is a LB, he's been a LB up until we shifted him into midfield, and he should be reverted back to that role, he can still be effective there. Ball, I am not so sure, but I am fairly certain he played CDM for the Huns when he was there, and he's played there mostly for us.

Anyway, I am being far too negative considering we're in a Final & won this game, but this luck won't last forever, we need the quality back as well as the luck. 

Obviously let us get it out of the way first & foremost, we will take that, of course we will.

However, serious questions need to be asked about what the fuck that was meant to be in terms of a game plan? Aimless balls yet again into channels, failure to string 2-3 passes together, unless it was between McKenna & Devlin & around 3 shots in the entire match, on and off target. I appreciate all that matters is the 3 points, but we were brutal & that's the biggest steal I have ever witnessed.

Again, our manager panders to shithousery in terms of being a negative cunt, low and behold, we throw subs on, start being positive and end up winning. I am getting extremely frustrated with his negativity and showing far too much respect to our opposition, we are, or have been, the 2nd best team in the fucking country, yet we are playing like bottom 6 pish, because we're being set up like that, this result only papers over alarming cracks. We require another Striker & creative midfielder, they are a minimum, and Graeme Shinnie needs to pull his finger out of his fucking arse, he is not showing Captain qualities and his performance today was very below par.

As for the Shinnie and Ball debate, Shinnie is a LB, he's been a LB up until we shifted him into midfield, and he should be reverted back to that role, he can still be effective there. Ball, I am not so sure, but I am fairly certain he played CDM for the Huns when he was there, and he's played there mostly for us.

Anyway, I am being far too negative considering we're in a Final & won this game, but this luck won't last forever, we need the quality back as well as the luck.

A win is a win but nail on head. We’re in a low quality league where mostly anyone can beat anyone if you have a go. There is zero point in lining up defensively against all but Celtic, and it’s even debatable against Celtic these days. We have enough ability to beat anyone if we’re allowed to go and attack. These defensive tactics are all fair and well against burnley but don’t belong in our league.

Well that was a totally unexpected win for the Famous.

We were crap especially in the first half.

3 wins from 3 games is some outcome especially when we only played well in only in one of them.

I do not care what folk think May is still not up to the standard of an Aberdeen player.

Anyway well done Aberdeen  :thumbsup:

There is no debate. Shinnie and Ball were signed this season as central midfielders. That's the bottom line. Whether we think either are better played elsewhere is irrelevant, they are recognised midfielders for AFC and the utter bullshit of saying that we started with 6 defenders is just moronic, childish shite that takes away from the actual argument.

Shinnie was excellent mid week and against the huns, against Burnley and in several other games this season too. When he's not playing well he still puts in a huge amount of work and plays like a captain should play - aggresively and thanklessly.

The real debate is the negative starting line up of two defensive midfielders and Ferguson in the advanced role. It doesn't work against a team that are no better than us, and it wasn't necessary today. It was a huge opportunity missed to establish a style of play (and possibly personnel) ahead of the Tim game in a month and leaves us no closer to finding an eleven that will get near the tims. Ball isn't a bad player, but he should be in a 4-1-4-1 type formation in games against better teams or not at all. Shinnie is asked to do far more work when he's sitting alongside him and until Ferguson moved back today he was anonymous too. It plays to all three player's weaknesses. Ball should have been on with 30 minutes to go after going a goal or two up, not as a start in games like these. I understand that Wright wasn't great the other night, but he did enough to be given another opportunity to develop something with Wilson and have us playing higher up the park. It was noticeable that when Ferguson dropped deep the defenders could come further up the park and we'd have had more space centrally as a result (we'd taken May on by that point who was playing higher than Wright would have).

On the speculative punting front, a lot of that was forced upon us by shite management, but the Kilmarnock players were excellent at closing down today and they were very disciplined. Also, the dons really didn't look comfortable on the surface, it looked a lot more bouncy today than it has in the past. I can only assume it either wasn't watered, or the surface is wearing a bit as it reminded me of Hamilton's a few years back. There were several balls that were bouncing further and higher than expected and our defenders weren't taking any chances with it.

Agree with TC, a decent showing from May. Plenty of fight there.

Well that was a totally unexpected win for the Famous.

We were crap especially in the first half.

3 wins from 3 games is some outcome especially when we only played well in only in one of them.

I do not care what folk think May is still not up to the standard of an Aberdeen player.

Anyway well done Aberdeen  :thumbsup:

Correct. Not sure what exactly he offered us when he came on? He controlled the ball a bit better than Wilson, but he is not the answer, nor will he ever be. 5 goals in around 40 appearances ( from the bench as well to be fair ) but 2 of those goals came in one game.

What I will say though, is the reason he's not the answer is because he is on the receiving end of aimless balls into the channels. Much like Wilson & Cosgrove. We can't expect these players to get the goals that Rooney got if they are not getting the service, which at this current time, they are not. Hayes & McGinn were responsible for 90% of Rooney's goals, the others coming from the penalty spot, Cosgrove, May & Wilson don't get that service, nowhere near it.

Perhaps if we stuck with 2 up front, then May could be useful, but as I have said countless times, until that happens, he should be nowhere near the team. He lacks confidence in front of goal, is fairly sluggish & offers nothing that any of our Strikers don't offer.

Is Wilson the answer? A couple of real quality goals aside, no, he's not done anything to suggest he could be, although I am not too adverse to giving him more game time, guarantee you he'll have scored more than May will have had in the same amount of game time.

Ball's quality on the ball is sorely lacking and as a result the team suffers. If you're playing in that position the use of the ball has to be better when you do get it.  I also think that it's no coincidence that the defenders use Ferguson more in that role than they do Ball (not just today, but in general). 

So at times, the logic of playing a player like Ball there may well be the correct one, but Ball just isn't the guy for it.  In the past couple of seasons we've seen the likes of Jack and McLean in that role; it is a fair drop off in quality from those two to Ball, you have to say.

Ball's quality on the ball is sorely lacking and as a result the team suffers. If you're playing in that position the use of the ball has to be better when you do get it.  I also think that it's no coincidence that the defenders use Ferguson more in that role than they do Ball (not just today, but in general). 

So at times, the logic of playing a player like Ball there may well be the correct one, but Ball just isn't the guy for it.  In the past couple of seasons we've seen the likes of Jack and McLean in that role; it is a fair drop off in quality from those two to Ball, you have to say.

Totally agree. It also means that Shinnie has to do twice the work, and it's no coincidence that his poorer performances have been alongside Ball - his passing suffers as a result of the extra shift. Ferguson is completely suited to the role too, which makes today's lineup more frustrating. I understand the use of Ball on occasion (and previously Hoban) when we know we're going to need that extra defender. I also feel sorry for Ball who hasn't done much wrong - especially when you compare the poorer performances from our strikers and our shite midfield signings - but there should be no harm in dropping him because he's not as good as the alternatives. He was mainly back in because Wright wasn't great, but Wright not being great should be a reason to play McLennan or Forrester or someone, not bring Ball in. Ball should be a replacement for when Shinnie is injured or if we're playing away at Parkhead and need some additional cover in midfield in a 4-1-4-1 (or the Burnley game as a good example), or as a sub to shore things up and protect a lead. McInnes is trying to keep everyone happy by playing three players who don't really fit together. It's poor management. Does anyone know our best 11 after that game today?

I really do not care what Wilson does in an Aberdeen jersey. He is a Man United player who will be looking for a new club at season end. He scores terrific goals on the odd occasion but contributes nothing ( like May ) to the current Aberdeen team.

Aberdeen has to sign more players like Ferguson and Devlin to bring us forward.

Phew ! They do say it's the sign of a good team, to play badly & win.  Up till young Bruce came on, it was eye bleeding stuff.

No shape to our play at all, which is not helped by a crappy pitch to be fair,  Lewis has to be m.o.t.m even if just for his cracking goal. Bit of a smash & grab , but hey who cares, huge 3 points, bring on the hibees. :thumbsup:

I really do not care what Wilson does in an Aberdeen jersey. He is a Man United player who will be looking for a new club at season end. He scores terrific goals on the odd occasion but contributes nothing ( like May ) to the current Aberdeen team.

Aberdeen has to sign more players like Ferguson and Devlin to bring us forward.

Aye, but if there isn't a player available, then you don't just sign someone for the sake of it. We're paying a decent amount for Wilson, so he's due us a return. We could easily buy a decent striker but only get them on a year or two contract, so a guy that's here for a season should rightly get our support.

I think at a point in time this season we just have to accept that we don't really have a good striker and just give who ever draws the short straw our backing. I've resigned to not expecting anything from the front one or two this season and it's made me feel a lot better about it! Young Bruce up front for the next game I'd say.

Aye, but if there isn't a player available, then you don't just sign someone for the sake of it. We're paying a decent amount for Wilson, so he's due us a return. We could easily buy a decent striker but only get them on a year or two contract, so a guy that's here for a season should rightly get our support.

I think at a point in time this season we just have to accept that we don't really have a good striker and just give who ever draws the short straw our backing. I've resigned to not expecting anything from the front one or two this season and it's made me feel a lot better about it! Young Bruce up front for the next game I'd say.

Hear what you are saying.

We need to just start with the young guns and to fuck with guys who think they are something they are not.  :wave:

how much chances have been created for Wilson?

For strikers to score they need to have creative players alongside to give chances.

There is the problem, we have fuck all in central midfield so rely on McGinn/ GMS to create.

McGinn hasn't been great recently but at least has been involved in a couple of goals , GMS today was a liability and how he lasted 90 minutes is a mystery.

Shinnie is a workhorse but lacks composure and has no quality around him. Ferguson has came up with the big goals but in truth his overall performances in the semi and today were poor. Showed plenty character which is good and i do like him.

There is the real issue, we have lost those players in recent times (McLean, Christie, Hayes)

Gleeson and Forrester have failed miserably, believe me strikers are not the main problem.

how much chances have been created for Wilson?

For strikers to score they need to have creative players alongside to give chances.

There is the problem, we have fuck all in central midfield so rely on McGinn/ GMS to create.

McGinn hasn't been great recently but at least has been involved in a couple of goals , GMS today was a liability and how he lasted 90 minutes is a mystery.

Shinnie is a workhorse but lacks composure and has no quality around him. Ferguson has came up with the big goals but in truth his overall performances in the semi and today were poor. Showed plenty character which is good and i do like him.

There is the real issue, we have lost those players in recent times (McLean, Christie, Hayes)

Gleeson and Forrester have failed miserably, believe me strikers are not the main problem.

A very fair comment, Ferguson was very anonymous in the Semi, until he scored, then again today, he was absolute tripe, but comes up with the winner. At the moment though, he's the best of a much under performing midfield.

McInnes appears to be getting praised for his honest assessment of the game today in the post match interviews, well I am sorry, he must take some Aberdeen fans as right fucking morons " If I am a scout in that first half for an opposing team, I wouldn't have a clue as to what we were " well Derek, time and again our CB's were happy to pass amongst themselves before aiming shockingly poor passes up into the channels, under no pressure whatsoever, that didn't change, and in fact, the very start of the 2nd half, we continued it, only this time to Stevie May. That was absolutely & clearly our game plan, which you worked on, so I am not having that pish, and feel very sorry for those that do buy it.

I appreciate I am being overly critical considering we won, but I said after 3-4 games into the season that we may well be in for a really underwhelming season, with the Cups providing a much needed distraction, I don't see where I am wrong so far, 7th in the League, albeit with a game in hand, 18 points out of a possible 33 and we are still none the wiser as to what our best system is, let alone what our best fucking 11 is, how can we possibly go from where we were to where we are, we are eyebleedingly pish and at the moment, luck is getting us on, when that runs out and we don't have that quality to fall back on, we will struggle, and not just against the top quartet of teams.