Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen V The Rangers

Late night, didn't get on here last night and just surfaced.

If I'm honest, I had low expectations for yesterday but what a fucking day.

The bounce when the goal went in was up there with the best in 50 years of following Dons.

We might have been outnumbered by Der Hun support were hardly heard all game.

Can I also just say Michael Devlin you're a fucking giant in our defence.

MOTM by the proverbial mile :thumbsup:

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phenomenal defensive performance with Devlin and McKenna being standouts. Bounce for goal was mental. Anyone know if thunder flashes were thrown by our support or by the mutants next to us. Had said after 10 minutes only way we were going to score was a set piece as it was obvious even then that we were carrying no attacking threat. We desperately need to address this in January. Great header from Ferguson for the goal from best delivery from McGinn in a long time.

As for Tribute Act they looked as poor as us in final third with their number 9 being especially pish. There is some right shite getting a game in the top flight these days.

That’s us shitfested our way through the quarters and the semis only the final to go.

Aye, it was a'rite like. I'm looking forward to the big one on Wednesday though, it's the dream fixture.

McKenna started poorly, but finished well, Devlin excellent too. No stand outs otherwise, but special mentions to McGinn and GMS who put in a huge amount of work (McGinn especially, who's defensive cover was top drawer at times).

It was just a good all round team hard-fought performance with the tactics spot-on from McInnes. He's got to take a lot of credit for getting that team up for it and believing they could win. Other than a hairy couple of moments from Logan at the end (who otherwise was good) we didn't look in any danger of conceding or letting it get to us. We're not a great team this season, we've got some glaring deficiencies through poor signings and so it's a credit to the perparation, setup and belief that we won yesterday. Well done lads.

I've said it once and I'll say it again. It's supposedly a neutral venue, albeit only a mile and half from Darkhead.

It matters not a joy how many season ticket holders the Tim's have.

If either of them qualified for a euro final against the likes of Real Madrid or Barcelona, you can bet your house that they'd be demanding an equal split of tickets.

Same applies to any cup final. Offer a 50/50 split and a cut off date for sales. If the cut off is not met, then that is the time to offer the unsold tickets to the unwashed, and not a moment sooner.

Of course this is Scotland and I fully expect to see the opposite of fairness and common sense prevail due to the corrupt attitude of the SPFL.

Not sure if folk know this but I've noticed a nice bit of symmetry with both my teams Aberdeen and Manchester City.  Albeit Citeh probably have their financial clout to thank after so many barren years but us reaching our third League Cup Final after 2014 and 2016 has sort of mirrored blue side of city and their League Cup Final successes from 2014, 2016 and 2018.

Distinct lack of highlights so far (Sportscene bizarrely missed both semis) so had to make do with this

Magical. I’m hoarse, bruised, hungover, but so so happy today. Still won’t be enough to make some of the moaning cunts in our support smile, but we’ve already established there’s no pleasing some people.

Don’t think I can make the 2nd so yesterday was my cup final, the goal celebration will live long in the memory though. What a night!

Magical. I’m hoarse, bruised, hungover, but so so happy today. Still won’t be enough to make some of the moaning cunts in our support smile, but we’ve already established there’s no pleasing some people.

Don’t think I can make the 2nd so yesterday was my cup final, the goal celebration will live long in the memory though. What a night!

The last bit is what it's about. How I felt about Ibrox two seasons back. Team stood up when it mattered, and DM should take plaudits for it.  More of the same please (albeit a bit more attacking threat)  :thumbsup:

The last bit is what it's about. How I felt about Ibrox two seasons back. Team stood up when it mattered, and DM should take plaudits for it.  More of the same please (albeit a bit more attacking threat)  :thumbsup:

I actually think this was McInnes's biggest result. And it was an attacking lineup which was pleasing to see.  We maybe didn't hold on to the ball well enough for that to come into full effect but that's not McInnes's fault on the day.

It's also hopefully the performance and result the team needs. Gives a good amount of confidence and hopefully, with everyone playing for a cup final place, the team kicks on a bit now.

Pretty shattered at work this morning after that 5 1/2 hr. marathon trip back last night.

Really enjoyable night & what a bounce ;D  Wasnt a classic performance, but  showed a lot of real grit & as i said what a bounce after the header.

Got to say, what a fantastic support we had there last night, not as much in numbers, but the actual backing was 1st class.  The 11k we had there last night should really get 1st dibs for final, really hope not one of them misses out, ive a feeling it wont be a 50/50 split, can see us getting 18k or so. :dunno:

I actually think this was McInnes's biggest result. And it was an attacking lineup which was pleasing to see.  We maybe didn't hold on to the ball well enough for that to come into full effect but that's not McInnes's fault on the day.

It's also hopefully the performance and result the team needs. Gives a good amount of confidence and hopefully, with everyone playing for a cup final place, the team kicks on a bit now.

It was indeed his biggest result and for me, the best day in our history for 28 and a half years. The selections of both Considine and Wright were absurd but fortunately the team did stay focused and deserved a win against a terrible team that had zero attacking quality. Even though they're a class above. Apparently.

I think you're right and we will see on Wednesday that extra fight and hopefully throughout November.

Theres video of it going off over on the hat. No sign of it being lobbed just the bang and the smoke

As brutal as that was to watch semi finals against the Huns are about results and we got the result. I've been getting increasingly quick to criticise McInnes and I wasn't impressed with our game plan on Sunday but I do think he deserves credit here. His tactics paid off (just like the same ones did at Parkhead on the final day of last season) and Gerrard was exposed. He didn't have a clue what to do. He was on Hun TV (I think) and when he was answering a question about whether he had any regrets he said "I shouldn't have played Morelos against Ayr Utd."  :laughing: Maybe the thick cunt shouldn't have got himself booked!

I was mostly pleasantly surprised with the line up although I'd have given someone else a chance over Wright and I knew Considine was going to be a full back which again didn't work. Him having to go off (with, in hindsight a minor injury) was a blessing in disguise I think. Everything good in the first half went through GMS. He did well and competed well with that horrible cunt Flanagan.

The ref got the two penalty calls correct apparently although I still haven't seen them again. Fucking nowhere to be seen (along with McGregor assaulting GMS  ::)) although the way the game was being reffed I was convinced they'd both be given. They got everything 50/50 and they were getting soft decisions that we just weren't. I assume if the ref had gotten either of them wrong they'd have been plastered all over the highlights.

Hard to pick out a MOTM but it has to go to one of the back 4 I think since we stood off for about 3 quarters of the game. I thought Logan was really good. The boy Sadiq is fucking worse than Cosgrove and didn't seem to be aware of the offside rule full stop.

Pleasing.

Leaving aside the tactics, what were the personnel inclusions that were "pleasantly surprising"?

Glad yer speaking to me again Big Man.  ;)

It was more those who were excluded. I like Dom Ball but I wanted more attacking minded players involved. Whilst Wright wouldn't have been my first choice I'd rather have him in ahead of Ball against opposition as poorn as the likes of Rangers. I was also pleased that Cosgrove and May weren't starting. Although I don't rate James Wilson much either he's more technically capable than Cosgrove and arguably May too. 

I've also noticed in our four runs to a Cup Final under McInnes we've only conceded three goals.  One against Ayr United and two versus Hibernian.  Would anybody agree we've had a mixed bag in terms of the draw throughout said four campaigns????

League Cup 2014

Round of 32: Alloa Athletic (H) 6-5 on penalties after a 0-0 draw.

Last 16: Falkirk (A) 5-0.

Quarter-Final: Motherwell (A) 2-0.

Semi-Final: St.Johnstone (N) 4-0.

League Cup 2016

Last 16: Ayr United (A) 2-1.

Quarter-Final: St.Johnstone (H) 1-0.

Semi-Final: Greenock Morton (N) 2-0.

Scottish Cup 2017

Round of 32: Stranraer (H) 4-0.

Last 16: Ross County (A) 1-0.

Quarter-Final: Partick Thistle (H) 1-0.

Semi-Final: Hibernian (N) 3-2.

League Cup 2018

Last 16: St.Mirren (H) 4-0.

Quarter-Final: Hibernian (A) 6-5 on penalties after a 0-0 draw.

Semi-Final: Rangers (N) 1-0.