Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen V The Rangers

Big weekend ahead. I’ve been accused of being over optimistic in the past but I won’t change my attitude for this one.

Yes we’re the underdogs on the pitch. Yes we’ll be hugely outnumbered off the pitch. But we’ve overcome these odds before and we can do it again on Sunday. It’ll be a long and painful journey home if we lose of course, but I think the pressure is off the players to a certain extent because of the opposition....as we all know losing to lower league opponents at this stage is utterly devastating as well as humiliating. All we can do is get stuck in on Sunday and give it our best shot - nothing to fear, nothing to lose.

It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog. COYR!

Therein lies the problem!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any injury news then, or are we all fit bar the long-termers?

This game is going to be won or lost in midfield I reckon. We've struggled to find our best midfield this season and it's the area of the pitch where we're not dominating enough to help the forwards or defence (striker is another issue!).

What's everyone's preferred formation for the game?

4-4-2 doesn't work in modern (scottish) fitba unless you play direct with two hoofers up front, because the opposition just play an extra man in midfield and you end up having to pull back an inadequate forward to compensate - it's too easy to play against.

We've got the personnel for a 3-5-2. Unfortunately that means we lost out by playing Lowe and Logan as wing backs and sacrifice the width and pace of GMS and McGinn, or play McGinn and GMS and sacrifice defending. If we had two great strikers to make it worthwhile, then I'd be tempted, but we gain little having an extra mediocre striker.

3-4-3 would be acceptable. However, it would mean dropping McGinn most likely, and he played well against Hearts.

4-1-4-1 was roughly how we lined up against Burnley with eitehr Hoban or Ball playing the deep role. It's probably our best combination when we choose to play Shinnie, Ball and Ferguson.

I'm going 4-2-3-1. It's been our most succesful setup under McInnes and retains the extra body in midfield where we'll need it when we don't have the ball. The difference between that and 4-1-4-1 for me is playing the middle 1 of the 3 permanently high up the pitch. I think we've got a couple of options in that role, but I'd go Wright. That means one of either Ferguson or Ball drops to the bench (perhaps unfairly) and I'd go with Ferguson from the start. He can create things from deep but retain position to protect the defence. He'll just move the ball more quickly from midfield to attack and I think we'll need that more than Ball's defensive capabilities. Especially if we have Shinnie also sitting alongside him keeping it reasonably tight but both supporting when required.

--------------Lewis----------------

Logan--Devlin---McKenna--Lowe

--------Ferguson--Shinnie--------

--GMS-------Wright------McGinn-

-------------Wilson----------------

It's bloody difficult to pick our best 11 this season, but that team should have us 3 up by half time.

Exact same formation and 11 for me. That would be enough to see us into the final I feel, if all 11 turn up on the day & our manager has put a rocket up their arses.

Very small village in Ayrshire ( North )

Wondered who it was calling me Hendo in here a couple of times.Got you now  :thumbsup:

Wont say who you were on Abmad,but all the former Abmadders on here will remember you(if they work out who you are)    ;)

I also like the look of that line up,but it winna matter if were as limp as we were against Hearts first half.Right attitude and we could surprise ourselves.Sort of looking forward to it now. COYR

Any injury news then, or are we all fit bar the long-termers?

This game is going to be won or lost in midfield I reckon. We've struggled to find our best midfield this season and it's the area of the pitch where we're not dominating enough to help the forwards or defence (striker is another issue!).

What's everyone's preferred formation for the game?

4-4-2 doesn't work in modern (scottish) fitba unless you play direct with two hoofers up front, because the opposition just play an extra man in midfield and you end up having to pull back an inadequate forward to compensate - it's too easy to play against.

We've got the personnel for a 3-5-2. Unfortunately that means we lost out by playing Lowe and Logan as wing backs and sacrifice the width and pace of GMS and McGinn, or play McGinn and GMS and sacrifice defending. If we had two great strikers to make it worthwhile, then I'd be tempted, but we gain little having an extra mediocre striker.

3-4-3 would be acceptable. However, it would mean dropping McGinn most likely, and he played well against Hearts.

4-1-4-1 was roughly how we lined up against Burnley with eitehr Hoban or Ball playing the deep role. It's probably our best combination when we choose to play Shinnie, Ball and Ferguson.

I'm going 4-2-3-1. It's been our most succesful setup under McInnes and retains the extra body in midfield where we'll need it when we don't have the ball. The difference between that and 4-1-4-1 for me is playing the middle 1 of the 3 permanently high up the pitch. I think we've got a couple of options in that role, but I'd go Wright. That means one of either Ferguson or Ball drops to the bench (perhaps unfairly) and I'd go with Ferguson from the start. He can create things from deep but retain position to protect the defence. He'll just move the ball more quickly from midfield to attack and I think we'll need that more than Ball's defensive capabilities. Especially if we have Shinnie also sitting alongside him keeping it reasonably tight but both supporting when required.

It's bloody difficult to pick our best 11 this season, but that team should have us 3 up by half time.

I’d go 4-1-4-1. We don’t need 2 holding mids against anyone in our league. It was the trend at the highest level but not necessary in Scottish football. let’s hope DM doesn’t try to outsmart himself yet again.

Lewis

Logan-Devlin-McKenna-Lowe

Ball

GMS-Wright-Shinnie-McGinn

Wilson

Not quite ideal for Wright but I think he will cause more problems than Ferguson.

I’d also go with rico’s team above. The major concern would be relying on gms, Wright and mcginn all being on song together and contributing, but if we can get them the ball then there should be plenty creativity.

Unfortunately we’ll probably see ball in for Wright, cosgrove for Wilson and maybe even consi in for Lowe.

I’d also go with rico’s team above. The major concern would be relying on gms, Wright and mcginn all being on song together and contributing, but if we can get them the ball then there should be plenty creativity.

Unfortunately we’ll probably see ball in for Wright, cosgrove for Wilson and maybe even consi in for Lowe.

Would be a very interesting line up, and certainly has on paper at least, enough to see us through.  McInnes is the problem for me though, that's too attacking.

People wanting different formations again? Nearly every time McInnes has deviated from his standard it has been an absolute disaster, why on earth would we want to put us in that position in such a big game?

Scott Wright still living off his one good performance in 18 months I see, as well. Here's hoping....

People wanting different formations again? Nearly every time McInnes has deviated from his standard it has been an absolute disaster, why on earth would we want to put us in that position in such a big game?

Scott Wright still living off his one good performance in 18 months I see, as well. Here's hoping....

He's living off everyone else being shite! The way I see it, we need someone in that role that is going to stay advanced and give them something to consider at the back, otherwise we'll get too disconnected from the lone striker. 4-2-3-1 has been our go to, and it's worked, but 4-1-4-1 isn't exactly a huge deviation from LA-Don. The main difference being that I think the 2 sitting (and they won't be just sitting of course, but it'll give them a point to focus on when we don't have the ball) will allow Wright to largely forget about the defending part, where he has obvious issues. I'm suggesting Wright mainly cause he's our last hope, with the rest proving that goals aren't really their thing (GMS aside). I'd happily see McLennan given a chance instead.

We’ve been really shite this season in my eyes and Scott Wright has been quite positive when he’s played recently. Why not play him? Who is playing better and deserves the start ahead of him? And as for a formation change, I’m making a minor adjustment encouraging Shinnie to push further forward rather than the boring defensive two holding mids which is totally unnecessary against the Huns. Nothing radical or mind blowing there.

Nope. Mcginn miles better. GMS miles better. So he's struggling for a place already. Good luck to him though.

As wingers, couldn't agree more, Wright has had the odd good game out wide, but mainly faltered, possibly due to being mismanaged or possibly due to him just not being good enough, perhaps a loan would have been really beneficial for him.

However, when he played the #10 role against St Mirren, he was unplayable, he was getting in behind several times and generally looked very lively, he seemed to really enjoy it, and 2nd half against Hearts there on Saturday was almost similar, only, his end product was rusty, but he's been missing for weeks, so that's to be expected.

Agree fully with Rico, we absolutely need someone to run at them centrally, Goldson in particular couldn't cope with it against Mickel Miller of Hamilton, then the Spartak game there, in the 2nd half, he was all over the place whenever someone ran at him, their CB's, as ours will, will eat up long aimless balls all day long, but it's a whole different ball game when they're being pulled out of position to try and cope with a pacy #10, or running back towards their own goal against someone with speed and trickery. I think it might just work, especially if we play Wilson as the lone striker, he makes good, clever runs, they can complement each other in a positive way for us, something I don't think Gerrard will anticipate.

You could even argue a case for McLennan out wide and put McGinn in the #10 role, he has a good drop of the shoulder and can pick out a pass, he's just not got that same pace that Wright has, Wright could be our new Pawlett if that makes sense. The big pitch will suit Wright.

I just hope we remind the scouse wanker and his truly horrible fans that they are not a class above us, and I hope for sheer cuntishness, that if we do get into the final, McInnes gets a wee dig in about that comment, as subtly as he likes, I couldn't give a fuck.

It's in the SFA/SPFL rules that each club have to make available certain numbers of players available for press interviews pre and post match (2 IIRC not necessarily the same ones).

Apart from The Rangers who give no interviews to the BBC at all. :confused:

I have seen nothing online from any Sevco players on the game tomorrow. just ex payers spouting about how Aberdeen will be getting humped.

Derek McInnes has defended Aberdeen's record in "big games" before Sunday's League Cup semi-final with The Rangers.

Across all competitions under McInnes, Aberdeen have beaten Celtic five times in 24 attempts, and Rangers twice in nine matches."We do lose big games only because we play more big games. And we win big games," he told BBC Scotland."It's an easy one to get thrown at you when you lose a big match or a lot is expected of you. But it doesn't rear its head when you do win big games or deal with what's in front of you.

"This is our seventh semi-final in five years. Three cup finals, always got into Europe. No other team apart from Celtic has made as many finals or semi-finals in recent years as us."There's loads of big games we've been dealt, coped with, and got the desired result."

Just stop Derek. Do your talking to the players.

There are two significant karma indicators working against the new blue company for Sunday.

Their manager coming out with "a class above" (after a fucking draw of all things) is a statement which is dying to blow up in his face at the first opportunity.

Boyd and other ex-huns writing us off are expressions of will and of hope more than coming from conviction. They've been embarrassed by their club for so long and are so desperate to win their first trophy. That it's Aberdeen brings out their deepest bitterness and deep down, they know they're not good enough to win the league in May so this is the best chance of silverware.