Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen V St Mirren

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A mix-up in the Aberdeen defence between Andrew Considine and Lewis Ferguson allows St Mirren to nip through and pull one back, with Simeon Jackson dinking the ball over Joe Lewis.

That's how BBC Sport Scotland described St Mirren's goal. First of all, there was no mix up, second of all, it was Gleeson & not Ferguson. Amateur as fuck reporting.

Anyway, good 1st half, game was won after 45 minutes, but considering we have an international break coming up, I'd have liked us to continue with the momentum, but much like the Cup game where we pumped them, we sort of dropped a gear or two. But that's being critical, and it's hard to be critical after winning 4-1.

Gleeson's lazy pass aside, that was fairly comfortable. Absolutely delighted for Cosgrove, I will say it again, he must start ahead of May from now if Wilson is injured or suspended etc... As rough around the edges as he is, he's a better player than May, he holds the ball better and is obviously better aerially ( not hard with he height difference )

Logan was back to the Logan we know from his first few seasons, Lowe was excellent, Devlin & Considine looked pretty solid together & the midfield were good, GMS unusually quiet, but still did fine.

Special mention to Connor McLennan, championed that kid on here a few times and he certainly took his chance, surely making it hard for McInnes to leave him out of future squad's?

Interested to note regarding Forrester, Andrew Shinie said on RedTV that all of the players speak very highly of Forrester and that he's brilliant in training, perhaps he's just failing to come to terms the speed of the game up here, and to be brutally honest, I think the same can be said for Gleeson. Dom Ball though, has cemented that CDM slot along side Shinnie, he's been very good the last lot of games.

Interested to note regarding Forrester, Andrew Shinie said on RedTV that all of the players speak very highly of Forrester and that he's brilliant in training, perhaps he's just failing to come to terms the speed of the game up here, and to be brutally honest, I think the same can be said for Gleeson.

Forrester looks like the type who'd be good in training. Generally lazy, not switched on and never first to the ball but looks like he knows how to control a ball and pass. Nae much use to us like. Similarly Gleeson, those are the minutes that I keep talking about should be reserved for youth involvement and we should have had Campbell on that park today. He wouldn't have made that fuck up either.

Good all round performance though, agree with most of yer analysis. I'd have gone Shinnie for MOTM as his work rate was excellent and was the difference early doors between us being ponderous and instead driving forward. Lowe was also very good, with McLennan strong and direct. Defence was solid, Ferguson and Ball good and great to see Cosgrove get a couple (even though his second was weak as pish). McLennan's was a peach.

We keep hearing English pundits saying that the arse cheeks aside, the SPFL is of English League 1 standard. Arrogant cunts have no idea ( not one EFL1 team would have drawn twice in a row with a Premier League side in normal time).

However clubs like ourselves ( but more especially Dundee, St Johnstone, Motherwell etc) sign journeymen pros from that league who all come up here expecting to be top dogs and find that the quality is a helluva lot better than they ever conceived. Said clubs after a few games realise these guys can't hack it and bring back boys from the reserves they were signed to replace, or start playing youngsters.

I wrote Gleeson and Forrester off weeks ago. We should absolutely stick with the young eens, who just seem hungrier. And better. Gleeson I can envisage might have a role to play in certain games but until he can go a full 90 minutes he cannot expect to play regularly. Which i think will affect his attitude. Forrester.....rumours that he is finding it difficult to settle in Aberdeen persist. If we can recoup half what we paid for him in the January window then letting him leave would be best for all parties I think. Though on his form since he joined, who the hell would pay a single penny?

How on earth did that finish only 4 1, an understrength dons were still miles ahead of a poor St.Mirren side, even their goal was a gift from Gleeson.

Thought Mcllelan had a good game, as did Ball,Shinnie,Lowe & Cosgrove.

Cosgrove did very well at 1st goal :eek:

Quite disappointed it was only 4 1 tbh, it was so one sided.

A good win,scoreline as anticipated  :razz:,but dont think anyone anticipated the goalscorers.Not a huge fan of Cosgrove but if that helps bring him out his shell....

Like the look of McLennan.Strong and direct.nae sure the extent of his injury but a wee concern since he's had a couple injuries already.

Defence was solid,Lowe was good,as were Shinnie and Ferguson.

Look forward to seeing what we can do with an on form,fully fit squad    :thumbsup:

Good win but think we have to temper this with how shite the opposition were. Thought McLennan looked decent and he took his goal well. Ferguson again impressed. Have to keep reminding myself he is only 19. Well done to Cosgrove in doubling his career goal tally in one game. Still not convinced he will find it as easy to score against the rest of the league. As for St Mirren think they and Dundee could be the worst teams I have seen in top flight in a long time. Will be a miracle if they don’t finish in the bottom 2.

Another very good win against a poor St Mirren side. I didn't think they would be as bad as the LC game, but I thought they were worse. We played well though and was great to see Cosgrove get the opener, he was unlucky earlier from a rebound from a GMS shot. Also great to see McLennan and Lowe score as well, just a pity we couldn't have got a few more which would have been deserved.

Thought we were good all over today and a pity to lose that cheap goal we gave to them Joe wasn't a happy bunny at that one, he slammed his water bottle off the ground afterwards.  I'm not one for having a go at players, but not sure how Gleeson and Forrester are ever going to fit in with us they just don't look up to standard and we look as though we have better kids coming through who deserve more of a chance, but on the other hand Dom Ball, who was pish for most of last season is making it hard to be dropped from the side at the moment, so maybe there is still hope.

Joe was right off the pitch at full time today, he clapped the fans briefly then shook hands with the St Midden goalie and was straight down the tunnel, not like him at all. Did see him in Union Square just after 6, so maybe he was keen to get off sharp for his Birthday, pity he didn't get the clean sheet though.

Good scoreline to wake up to! Didn't expect us to equal our scoring against them as the league cup game and even better to see others step up to the plate with some of the "regular" attacking players out. Look forward to the highlights.

Decent attendance by the looks of it too.

I see three of our strikers from last season scored today.  Rooney bags a hat-trick, Stockley gets a double and even Maynard scored for Bury!!!

Stockley had already left us last season, chief.

Great result, good performance. Good that Cosgrove finally got off the mark.

Lewis Ferguson's influence shouldn't be underestimated... we look so much better with him in there. McLennan did well too.

Gleeson however... it's painful watching him.  We lost that goal today because Saints players knew that he was going to pass the ball back the way, as he does every fucking time he gets the ball.

He's a horrible excuse of a player and Forrester looks worse, which is quite something.

But the Dons did well today, it was so important to win and we got it, played well in big chunks of the game, was very pleasing.  Just a shame it's the international break, always want to keep going after a good win, but hey ho.

Stockley had already left us last season, chief.

Great result, good performance. Good that Cosgrove finally got off the mark.

Lewis Ferguson's influence shouldn't be underestimated... we look so much better with him in there. McLennan did well too.

Gleeson however... it's painful watching him.  We lost that goal today because Saints players knew that he was going to pass the ball back the way, as he does every fucking time he gets the ball.

He's a horrible excuse of a player and Forrester looks worse, which is quite something.

But the Dons did well today, it was so important to win and we got it, played well in big chunks of the game, was very pleasing.  Just a shame it's the international break, always want to keep going after a good win, but hey ho.

Stockley played in Europe for us last season.

Not sure International break is a bad thing as might allow us to get some of our injured players back.