Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Hibernian v Aberdeen Betfred Cup Quarter-Final

I'm correct in saying we've now had five Cup games against Hibernian in past six years. 

LEAGUE CUP

2015: Hibernian 2 v 0 Aberdeen.  (I believe our Edinburgh friends were also all over us that night and got two in final eight minutes)

2018: Hibernian 0 v 0 Aberdeen. (Winning 6-5 on penalties tonight will just take care of itself after embarrassing recent losses to Queen's Park and East Fife through same method)

SCOTTISH CUP

2012 QUARTER-FINAL: Hibernian 1 v 0 Aberdeen. (I attended that Sunday afternoon and we were denied a replay with Scott Vernon's late penalty miss after Gary Deegan scored his unbelievable strike).

2013: SEMI-FINAL: Hibernian 2 v 1 Aberdeen. (I was gutted watching on TV seeing Rory Fallon's wonder goal count for nothing).

2017: SEMI-FINAL: ABERDEEN 3 V 2 HIBERNIAN. (We really should have seen that game out comfortably at 2-0 as again we watched from the safety of our armchair). 

Point I guess we're trying to make is whether we deserved our luck earlier or not we've not had rub of green very often during a Cup campaign last 10-15 years right?? 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Treated myself to a wee 20 minute shooftie around the Hivs forum. Crying like babies they are. And boy do they not like us......i thought it was Fartz they are supposed to hate. Anyway GIRFUY spoonburners  :violin:

Going to have a wee 20 year old Appleton rum on the rocks before hitting the sack.  :rastaman:

D.M saying post match that penalties is an art and not so much luck. Don't know if I was the only one who thought that May would miss his penalty but he took it well. Hibs the better team but who gives a toss.

The draw for the semi's is taking place after the St Johnstone V Celtic game. :thumbsup:

Ps...I reckon we will get Hearts or Motherwell in the semi as the powers to be like to have at least one Ugly sister in the Final.

Absolute shitfest, but when all is said and done we awaken this morning as the only team out of the eight in the quater final draw that are guaranteed a last four place.

Have to say at times I can't help but think we have some supporters that would rather us lose a game like that to fit their agenda  ::)

Absolute shitfest, but when all is said and done we awaken this morning as the only team out of the eight in the quater final draw that are guaranteed a last four place.

Have to say at times I can't help but think we have some supporters that would rather us lose a game like that to fit their agenda  ::)

I've had to start reducing my time on twitter. The amount of cunts in our support is thoroughly depressing and they're thick as pigshit, despite what they think. Questioning is all well and good, but they're blinded by their stupidity. Sooner they stop supporting the dons, the better.

And it was NOT a 3-4-3. This is football punditry gone mad.

Who were our 3 up front? Cosgrove and Wilson for sure but GMS? I don't think so. And if Considine wasn't a full back, are we saying Logan, McKenna and Devlin were our back 3? What, Considine AND Lowe meant to be in the middle (with Ball and Shinnie)? No chance. That was an attempted 4-4-2 but whatever the fuck is was supposed to be, it didn't work.

----------Lewis------------

----Devlin McKenna Considine----

Logan    Ball        Shinnie        Lowe

-----------------GMS-------------------

-----------Cosgrove Wilson-------------

Lays out quite easily as 3-4-3 but it certainy wasn't as straightforward on the park as it is on paper.

Heard this in Pele, Calderwood & McGhee's tenure. Fans in general, from all clubs, have fickle supporters & we're no different. Hibernian fans tonight all proud of their team, yet we're the ones in the Semi Final & there is still a fairly big divide. FWIW, may be controversial, but I think McInnes admitted he feels Hibs are a better team than us, you just need to look at how he set us up in the 2 games we've played there.

Anyway, not much to talk about during the 90 minutes last night, we were cut open numerous times and could have been pumped had Hibs had their shooting boots on. Ball was indeed our best player for about an hour, but sadly our midfield eventually just got steamrollered the likes of Ambrose, Porteous & Hanlon ended up in the middle of the park for them, fucking bizarre.

Extra Time was much better, well first half of it anyway. Knew for a fact May was missing his chance, but really expected more from McGinn, that was a golden chance.

What I will say, in a pressure game like that, all the penalty takers ( May & young Anderson especially ) deserve huge credit.

Obviously delighted we're in a Semi Final, but we must improve and find consistency in selection, we do not look like a team who has established themselves as the 2nd best team in the league. Could be wrong, but 2 goals from open play this season also?

Heard this in Pele, Calderwood & McGhee's tenure. Fans in general, from all clubs, have fickle supporters & we're no different. Hibernian fans tonight all proud of their team, yet we're the ones in the Semi Final & there is still a fairly big divide. FWIW, may be controversial, but I think McInnes admitted he feels Hibs are a better team than us, you just need to look at how he set us up in the 2 games we've played there.

I've never met a supporter who wanted Aberdeen to lose to "fit an agenda". I have met many critics however, critics who are resented by the happy clappers and unsurprisingly so. It's difficult to accept that the club we have spent tens of thousands on and invested decades of our lives in have been underperforming for so long.

Pele, Calderwood and McGhee are ironic examples. We fans had a duty to criticise them as our chairman wasn't upset. He appointed these fucking useless duds.

It is fact that we were lucky to get through last night and it is fact that bar three penalties, there were some excellent and courageous spot kicks taken from both sides. Our only trophy since 2005 was won on penalties. Good teams can win in 90 minutes, or at least in 120. Scraping past Hibs on penalties doesn't augur well for the semi final or the final nor for the rest of the season. If we don't see the weaknesses in the current level of performances, and if the manager doesn't address the obvious weaknesses (assuming he even knows them and that he's not being strangled by the chairman), then it is impossible to change it. As some of us predicted, this is going to be a long hard season which may have ended less than 12 hours ago but for the crossbar.

Wake up sheeple. It's still not working but at least we have a bit of luck on our side, even if Anderson's equaliser was our only shot on target against 10 men in the opening game.

I really dont think any fan wants us to get beaten in any game. I do think however there is a growing section that are concerned about the manner we are playing the game in. To be frank it absolutely brutal to watch. If we were winning every game it would probably be tolerated to a degree but we have dropped a lot of points and are already playing catch up with only 6 games of the league season gone. I accept that injuries and suspensions have impacted severely on the options we have had. However Hibs have had similar problems yet every week they turn out a team that plays the game in the correct manner, the fans love watching and (usually) does goals.

That said, it is us who are in the semi, and despite everything, are only 2 points behind Hibs and sevco and 1 point behind the dhims in the league. The team will always have my backing every time they take to the field but it doesn't always follow that I'll enjoy what I see even in victory. I'll still celebrate as wildly as the next fan if we play as eye wateringly shitely in the semi and final and win both on penalties.

Talking of wild celebrations, a street in London heard us last night!

My son called me after extra time as I was in the pub. He had just finished work and was at a bus stop. I had no option but to be his commentator for the penalties. They didn't just hear me bawling as every one went in, they had the rest of us in the pub screaming and hollering down the phone  :thumbsup:

Totally agree with last 2 posts I don't get how folk expect unquestioning loyalty to a manager when we are such a horrible team to watch at the moment.

It was turgid last night and let's be honest every other team that gets through tonight will want to play us in the semis.

Hats off to Shinnie for being a true captain and taking the first penalty and to May who I thought was a certain to miss. We are in another semi which is fantastic and actually could have won in extra time with a bit more composure from May & McGinn!

One last point what the fuck is going on with the hand written notes - it's gone from a post it to a novella with Shinnie & Devlin quite clearly not having a clue what the instructions were - McInnes pretending he is a master tactician  >:(

Totally agree with last 2 posts I don't get how folk expect unquestioning loyalty to a manager when we are such a horrible team to watch at the moment.

It was turgid last night and let's be honest every other team that gets through tonight will want to play us in the semis.

Hats off to Shinnie for being a true captain and taking the first penalty and to May who I thought was a certain to miss. We are in another semi which is fantastic and actually could have won in extra time with a bit more composure from May & McGinn!

One last point what the fuck is going on with the hand written notes - it's gone from a post it to a novella with Shinnie & Devlin quite clearly not having a clue what the instructions were - McInnes pretending he is a master tactician  >:(

Forgot about the notes. The look on the face of Devlin was priceless. he did not have a clue reading it. :laughing:

There's a difference between "expecting unquestioning loyalty" which no-one has said, and perhaps thinking some of  the criticism is perhaps slightly out of proportion.

I don't think anyone wants us to lose to push an agenda, but I don't think the masses of folk dwho supposedly think everything is wonderful really exist either.

There's a difference between "expecting unquestioning loyalty" which no-one has said, and perhaps thinking some of  the criticism is perhaps slightly out of proportion.

I don't think anyone wants us to lose to push an agenda, but I don't think the masses of folk dwho supposedly think everything is wonderful really exist either.

I don't do Twitter so whatever is spouted about AFC on there is invisible to me. But if you think that criticism is "out of proportion" then a forum for discussing matters AFC would be a suitable place for you to air your opinions in this regard.

One thing I would say is for all hibs attacking forays Lewis didn't really have that much to do.  Part of that is down to poor decisions and shooting from hibs but the other is down to some excellent defending.  A team is built on it's defence and I can see this team really coming together the next month or so.  Say what you like about DM but his teams really play for him, if we get a result on sat it's been a fantastic weeks work regardless of how pretty it has been.  I'll take victories over aesthetics any day of the week.

Derek McInnes......"I’ve never been one that buys into penalties being a lottery, It isn’t. It takes technique, mental strength and courage to take that kick and be confident."

Guy on Twitter

I make it 4/4 penalty shootout wins under McInnes, 19 out of 21 penalties scored (McGinn both misses for future reference)

Looks like D.M has found the secret formula to win at penalty kicks.

He may need it again in the Semi.

Ach Hibs were the better team but I wouldn't say they were "good". A good team would have punished us. Fucking hell, if you can't score with one of the numerous chances you had then you could quite conceivably argue that they didn't deserve to get through either. We were poor on the night and tactically but we fought and ground out the result we wanted. Derek has to sort this though. If Hibs were't crap last night too we'd have taken a battering.

Pass marks for me go to Shinnie eventually. Wasn't having his best game but had the attitude of a good captain. As illustrated by stepping up to take the first penalty.

Ball was our MOTM by a mile, let's face it. When he's played in his correct position he's an asset.

GMS ran himself ragged. Although at times Effe Ambrose had the measure of him he kept at it.

Everyone who stepped up to take pens. Apart from McGinn of course. The most experienced penalty taker of the lot was the only one to miss. I wasn't confident when McKenna, May or Anderson stepped up but they were all brilliant. They got McInnes out of the shit last night.