Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen V St Mirren

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How was Frank Ross today?

Didn't really take his opportunity. Decent, but nae great, but nae shite either. Better than Forrester I'd say though.

We were ace though, and they were gash. Some great movement in and around the box and good attacking play. Wright was really good and has to start in that role next week. May made a lot of good runs and worked hard, GMS excellent, the back four very good and Ferguson made some great passes. Gleeson moved the ball about well, although I'd like to see a bit more movement from him left and right when they've got the ball, but an improvement. Forrester wasn't great when he came on for Ross who was better but nae brilliant (although looks to have beefed up significantly). Anderson looked decent, definitely got an eye for goal. Hit a decent volley (going wide) that May or Cosgrove would have tried to control and would thus have, inevitably, lost the opportunity - great instincts. MacLennan looked okay too, with little time to do much.

Difficult to gain any insight today though as they were fucking horrendous. A lot to think about for McInnes for next week, as we were very slick at times today. If anything comes from it, it has to be Wright playing through the middle again. They couldn't handle him, and he supported May really well. I hope we don't revert to type.

Far too easy today, the scoreline totally flattering St.Mirren, some of our football especially in 1st half was outstanding.  Thought both Wright & Ross were very good & neither deserves to be dropped next week , which would be very harsh considering McGinn's recent form :

Good to see May score although it was laid on a plate by the unselfish Wright. Thinking Devlin is looking like the signing of the decade so far, outstanding, Ball,Shinnie & my motm G.M.S were all very good.

On that showing St.Mirren must be relegation favourites already.  Poor crowd on a beautiful day, losers were the ones that stayed away.

Very good performance.

Far too easy today, the scoreline totally flattering St.Mirren, some of our football especially in 1st half was outstanding.  Thought both Wright & Ross were very good & neither deserves to be dropped next week , which would be very harsh considering McGinn's recent form :

Good to see May score although it was laid on a plate by the unselfish Wright. Thinking Devlin is looking like the signing of the decade so far, outstanding, Ball,Shinnie & my motm G.M.S were all very good.

On that showing St.Mirren must be relegation favourites already.  Poor crowd on a beautiful day, losers were the ones that stayed away.

Very good performance.

As one of the losers who couldn't give a fuck today, delighted to hear the yoof done good.

It is further proof that the arsehole who said they're not good enough is an ignorant nothing.

They must be averaging one start in more than a year between them, for every year they've been at AFC.

And yet he knows best, fuelled by a little authority, making the angels weep.

Well that was very enjoyable, been a long time since I enjoyed a 90s minutes as much as I did that.

I actually asked the loon if the announcer said Scott Wrigh when reading out the teams as I thought I was hearing things.  I was willing him on big time to get a goal today, if he hadn't been so classy in setting up May the way he did he would have done, but I thought that was a great thing for him to do.  Ross I thought was excellent in the opening exchanges, but he seemed to be trying to prove a point to some Saints players and then I remembered he was playing for their arch rivals Morton last season so I assume something happened is one of the games against them. Shinnie did give him a talking to after May had scored, I think he was telling him to calm down, but he should certainly be getting more game time this season.

Shinnie at LB makes us look more balanced and I do hope we can get him signed up, we really need to push the boat out for him as we need him, he is fucking superb.

Ferguson I find hard to believe is still a teenager, he plays like he has been around for ages, he is a great passer of the ball. Devlin is also shaping up to be another great find and it was great to see May get his goal

St Mirren were shit, but it shouldn't detract from how good we were.

Wright was my man of the match, I loved his directness and it would be very harsh if he was dropped next week, but he is clearly not one of the managers favourites so I expect to see him benched.

I actually thought the crowd was decent enough today for a league cup fixture with no discounted tickets, folk need to remember that a lot of guys going to the football do struggle to find money for tickets outwith their season tickets.

Don't get me wrong the grace with which Wright goes past players is something I've not seen in red since Jess.

You shouldn't say that. A tyrannical poster will slap you down. He already knows Scott isn't good enough.

Then again, his imagination, knowledge and intellect is so weak, he just believes in anything McInnes does.

the volley looked on target to me Rico

Nah, I was right behind it, going about a ball circumference past but the keeper was right to be on the safe side as it was a close thing (although Lewis would have let it go, or actually probably just gathered it because he's ace). Speaking of Lewis, called into action once today in a one on one and you just knew he had it completely covered. Closed the space in a tenth of a second; just class.

Agree about the Wright and Jess comparison although I'd probably put him at the same level today as Christie at the beginning of last season. Just need him to be given the opportunity to do it against Hibs, and hopefully in that central role too. It's easy to do it (play Wright and Ross etc) in the games that you expect to win, but you need to risks here and there in the bigger games too. We don't have to go wild, so retain McGinn in place of Ross, but definitely start Wright. Ball played well today, put in some excellent balls down the line so be interesting to see if he gets a slot in midfield once Logan returns to right back. At the moment I'd put him ahead of Gleeson.

Enjoyed that today. Played well within our limits and although Smurn were gash that's 75% of the job in the SPFL, they were gubbed 2-0 by the huns and beat Dundee so standard 9th or below for them I suspect.  GMS starred but great to see Wright play so well central midfield, it's been worth sticking in with him. He was as good as Christie today? Probably will struggle against better teams over 90mins but he does give a creative option which is valuable as opposed to being another fancy dan winger with a few tricks up your sleeve.

Also, taking due cognisance of the pish opposition, all the defensive unit breezed it today.  Having Logan back will be a bonus in that position and in freeing up Ball (into CM) who I think is worth a deal.  Next week will be a good test of where we are. 

Lewis

Shinnie

Considine

Gleeson

McGinn

GMS

Wright

May

Devlin

Ferguson

Ball

BENCH - Cerny, Forrester, Cosgrove, F Ross, Campbell, B Anderson, S Roscoe

No James Wilson in the squad.

Have to ask why Forrester isn't starting, he's either not showing enough, not trying enough or has a rotten attitude?

I think you are wrong with both. I think it’s the form and play of Ferguson. Forrester was injured and Ferguson has performed to where he shouldn’t be dropped.

Devlin is quality, strolls through games. Strong in the air, tackler, skilled on the ball, passer, what’s his weakness? I also think that while he’s still relatively young he will have a good influence on mckenna too. If McKenna is Scotland quality where does that leave Devlin? Definitely red tinted spectacles but who else is better for the right central defensive position?

As for today, should have been 8 or 9. They were shit but we certainly played our best game in a while. No consgrove meant we just didn’t lump it up the park and played some nice attacking stuff. I liked the liveliness of Wright and Ross too, add GMS and that was a pacey and threatening attack. Almost prefer them to having McGinn who, to me, is past his prime.

Good win!