Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Burnley v Aberdeen - 2nd leg

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Valiant effort but long ball tactics concern me. Cosgrove is a big lad but offer so little scoring threat. He did give defenders grief though and is a handful. After he went off May offered zero. Tactics don’t suit him whatsoever. The striker will dictate our tactics, will be really interesting to see who we get. Tactics don’t suit Forrester either but I suspect these tactics were deployed to play a much more highly regarded opponent. Don’t expect quite the same thing in the league. I hope not anyway.

The two legs showed McKenna should stay here and develop. Whatever we pay for Ferguson, he is a steal. Modern day Dougie Bell with a touch of Frank Lampard.

Anybody else sick of the hard luck story line with Aberdeen this last three or four years???

You know losing to Celtic in last minute of Scottish Cup Final and only going out to Kairat Almaty, Maribor and Apollon Limassol by the one goal each time and now Burnley in extra-time.

I dont accept the maribor one given Rooney missed a penalty (given despite McGinn putting the ball in the net immediatley after the foul) in the 2nd leg which would have levelled things up.

Anyway the Dons matched Burnley over both legs and whilst it would have been sweet to get that 2nd goal in normal time I think this is the first time I feel a sense of pride and say the dons can be gracious in defeat as from what I saw it was a fair square go and I don't recall any controversial moments. Burnely may have had the extra but they know they were in a game tonight.

Bonus for me was getting to hear Ferguson's goal on radio scotland, and have enough time to get to the other room to see it go in on the live stream.

Onwards to Sunday

The two legs showed McKenna should stay here and develop. Whatever we pay for Ferguson, he is a steal. Modern day Dougie Bell with a touch of Frank Lampard.

Totally agree. McKenna still a bit raw and won't go wrong with at least one if not two more seasons here.

I think the fact that McInnes put Ferguson straight into the side despite his age says a lot - he looks decent enough already despite only having half a season of experience, so he'll only get better and better.

The work rate was immense by AFC. I didn't think they had that much desire and fight in them. Well, Shinnie always has but they gave their all and gave us tremendous hope and excitement.

The gulf between the two teams was probably best highlighted by three world class saves by Lewis in the 2nd half. He had no right to stop all 3. It was amazing goalkeeping, even better than Murrayfield last September where Lewis was also freakily good. On any other day, at least one of them goes in.

GMS flatters to deceive but produced hardly anything telling. McKenna has a lot to learn. Cosgrove was awful.

Burnley's winning header was class. No blame to Considine. It was one of those inch-perfect crosses and clinical execution. They deserved the tie. We didn't do enough and didn't deserve it although boy we came close. As close as a great ball in and Stevie May managing to not get anything on it.

Nice to see Mr Dyche allowing his arrogance to show with the comment about with no disrespect to Aberdeen now we're going to Istanbul the fans can have a proper European Tour.  Honestly hope they get stuffed now after that nonsense.  Was as if he was always 'looking past' us.  Not cool in my eyes.   

Nice to see Mr Dyche allowing his arrogance to show with the comment about with no disrespect to Aberdeen now we're going to Istanbul the fans can have a proper European Tour.  Honestly hope they get stuffed now after that nonsense.  Was as if he was always 'looking past' us.  Not cool in my eyes. 

No, he was simply saying now they get to go abroad. He said absolutely nothing wrong. That's just being offended for the sake of it.

Have to say SeeBass, I don't think he meant disrespect to ourselves at all, I think he was just saying to his own fans that they can now go abroad. He was very complimentary to us on BBC and said that we performed extremely well over both legs. He actually spent the first few minutes of his interviews that I have heard and seen talking us up, saying that he was genuine and not patronising ( which I think was a dig at some of the media down there )

My take on it all ( the games anyway ) Is that I do believe Burnley deserved it over both legs, but we certainly gave as good as we got. I feel McKenna & Devlin actually struggled last night, I know a lot of people were praising Devlin, but I personally thought he looked troubled & thought McKenna had one of his worse games, granted, they did try and weren't shite, they just couldn't really cope with their physicality & looked rather nervous. McGinn was a positive, GMS at times was positive, Cosgrove was the polar opposite of last week in that nothing came off for him, he'll definitely be useful in some games this season, but we MUST NOT start the season with Cosgrove and May as our only 2 strikers, needs addressed today or tomorrow.

Fortunately the CB's won't be up against that physicality again this season, and I reckon they'll cruise it and form one of the best pairings in the league, if not thee best.

Scott Wright is another I am not overly convinced with, he at least is direct and tries to take people on, which is admirable, just really feel he'd have learned a lot more and gained valuable experience going out on loan. Big season for him. Ferguson looks a good find and can't comment on Gleeson & Forrester as haven't seen anywhere enough of them, although I think they'll both start against The fucking Hun vermin.

Summarise, we gave a very good account of ourselves against a very good, streetwise team, that J B Gudmondsson ( sp ) was the only player I thought they had that could maybe play at a better club. But agree with McInnes in that I don't think the players should be too down, when the dust settles and they realise they held a Premier League club to a 2-2 aggregate scoreline over 180 minutes, they should be pleased with themselves. 

Dunty, I don't argue with anybody over my opinion but Mr Dyche has went down in my estimation over said comment.  If he had any genuine class he'd have not even uttered such garbage.   

Like I said, you're being offended for no reason. Absolutely no problem with what he said. They won the tie, their fans now get a trip to Turkey, they've every right to be excited about it as it could be another 50 years before they're in Europe again.

Have to say SeeBass, I don't think he meant disrespect to ourselves at all, I think he was just saying to his own fans that they can now go abroad. He was very complimentary to us on BBC and said that we performed extremely well over both legs. He actually spent the first few minutes of his interviews that I have heard and seen talking us up, saying that he was genuine and not patronising ( which I think was a dig at some of the media down there )

My take on it all ( the games anyway ) Is that I do believe Burnley deserved it over both legs, but we certainly gave as good as we got. I feel McKenna & Devlin actually struggled last night, I know a lot of people were praising Devlin, but I personally thought he looked troubled & thought McKenna had one of his worse games, granted, they did try and weren't shite, they just couldn't really cope with their physicality & looked rather nervous. McGinn was a positive, GMS at times was positive, Cosgrove was the polar opposite of last week in that nothing came off for him, he'll definitely be useful in some games this season, but we MUST NOT start the season with Cosgrove and May as our only 2 strikers, needs addressed today or tomorrow.

Fortunately the CB's won't be up against that physicality again this season, and I reckon they'll cruise it and form one of the best pairings in the league, if not thee best.

Scott Wright is another I am not overly convinced with, he at least is direct and tries to take people on, which is admirable, just really feel he'd have learned a lot more and gained valuable experience going out on loan. Big season for him. Ferguson looks a good find and can't comment on Gleeson & Forrester as haven't seen anywhere enough of them, although I think they'll both start against The fucking Hun vermin.

Summarise, we gave a very good account of ourselves against a very good, streetwise team, that J B Gudmondsson ( sp ) was the only player I thought they had that could maybe play at a better club. But agree with McInnes in that I don't think the players should be too down, when the dust settles and they realise they held a Premier League club to a 2-2 aggregate scoreline over 180 minutes, they should be pleased with themselves.

I think Sam Vokes was the big difference. As soon as he came on in the first leg and all yesterday McKenna and Devlin were really unsettled. At least we don’t see that type and ability of player every week. Up until his introduction in the first leg I thought they both were excellent.

Indeed LA, they both looked extremely comfortable last week, until Vokes came on, maybe I was being slightly over critical, I just felt they both struggled, but still contained them well enough. Both hugely inexperienced in that environment so I suppose it wasn't all bad. They will be an outstanding partnership & in reality, should cope with Morelos with ease on Sunday. Fingers crossed they stay injury free.

Good luck for the rest of the season hopefully starting with a win against Rangers this weekend.

The Burnley-Aberdeen tie could have gone either way and I was dreading a penalty shoot-out. I think we would have lost one of those (we did last season).

One consolation for the Dons is that you will almost certainly be in Europe again next season and we will not.

I'm not confident of getting past the Turks.

Edit: One thing I did NOT like was Ashley Barnes "cupping his ear" after the second goal. Absolutely no need. "Basher" is a big crowd favourite for his never-say-die 100% effort but is not the sharpest tool in the box.

After drawing away in an FA Cup match, he told the interviewer he was "satisfied with a good away point".

Lancyclaret, that is why I thought your manager might have had a bit more humbleness about him regarding his stupid comments and respected Aberdeen's long and proud European history.  We were on an eight game unbeaten home run in Europa League stretching back to 2014 before you guys came to town last week.  Not many teams around the continent can say that.   

Lancyclaret, that is why I thought your manager might have had a bit more humbleness about him regarding his stupid comments and respected Aberdeen's long and proud European history.  We were on an eight game unbeaten home run in Europa League stretching back to 2014 before you guys came to town last week.  Not many teams around the continent can say that. 

Sorry SeaBass but there was no offence meant or caudsed by Dyche's post game comments. All he alluded to was the Burnley fans now get to have a "proper" tie in Europe rather than a 300 mile bus trip north.

Late to this so I apologise for the irrelevance, but,

Back in 96 or 97 I had to spend 2 weeks at a training course in a hotel in Burnley, in the wholly inappropriately named Comfort Friendly Inn (It was neither, the food, although paid for by the company was terrible).

We did try a couple of nights out in the town, but it was like an episode of Ripping Yarns, set in't t'north.

Only saving grace was, we found out the second week the bar staff weren't too good at checking things, so we kept giving them an empty room number for the tab. AFAIK non of us ever got a bill for that!

So am I the only one that thought Joe Lewis was badly caught out for their goal?  ??? The CBs didn't cover themselves in glory but I thought from that point on they were all superb. Everyone.

I'm nae fussed about the Burnley player cupping his ear at us. As classless as unwarranted as it was I'm not going to get offended by that when I've shouted myself hoarse at opposition players. If you give it you've got to be able to take it. All you utter cretin fuds that greet when Kris Boyd gets it right up us can gtf to fuck.

The fans were amazing too. It's not often you'll see me praising the arseholes that support our club but on Thursday night we were excellent. Even their goal didn't stop the singing. I knew pretty early on that Burnley wouldn't have often seen anything like it before and we were getting the respect that we earned at the end. Home fans applauding us and offering handshakes was nice and highlights (again) the point that McInnes often makes about our fans. Why can't we be like that more often?

On Sunday against the Huns it wasn't anywhere near as bad as it normally is but it was still bad at times.. back to the usual pish with a'body panicking, screaming at our own players and constantly moaning and groaning.

Can't say I'd apportion any blame on Joe for their goal. The ball was played over the top of our centre halves who let their centre forward bustle through the middle of them so didn't cover themselves in glory. Joe managed to narrow the angle and delayed a shot coming in but ultimately the blame lies with the midfield and Shinnie in particular who were caught way upfield and when Shinnie lost possession we were wide open to the quick counter attack.