Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Betting

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Celebrity Big Brother bet 'came up' but was down on our month long punt.  With Dan finishing 3rd (7/1) and Kirstie 2nd (8/1) a quarter odds...1, 2, 3.  Ryan even before 'Punchgate' wasn't worth backing but did get 4th with Nick and Gabby 6th in Final from one's five picks on Launch Night.  Only Jermaine Pennant failed me. 

I put on 4 x Scotland Kazakhstan doubles in-play before Scotland scored the first. Got 8-11 and 13/10 on the 4th bet.

Cashed them all out as soon as K scored to make 2.9/3. Who said cashing out was a mugs game?

I did and I still stand by it, bookies love it and love people using it hence why it's offered but never mind what I think, well done.

I did and I still stand by it, bookies love it and love people using it hence why it's offered but never mind what I think, well done.

Are you being obstinate, impressionable or unintelligent?

Or maybe what you've been told can be substantiated by data? I don't know, I don't work in the industry.

At least try to explain how the cash out option works in the bookies favour and how a late Andorra equaliser would not have sunk my in-play doubles?

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

Will you be having a nibble at that price then?

Think I'll keep my money in the pocket on this occasion TC but it's priced up like Cardiff are about three divisions lower.

Think I'll keep my money in the pocket on this occasion TC but it's priced up like Cardiff are about three divisions lower.

It is indeed an unusually big price for any team in the EPL and as long odds as I can remember for a home win. But the chances of it happening are considerably more than 25/1 in the minds in the bookies and they don't get it wrong too often. It's the fools backing Citeh at 1/6 in their multi accas who feed them. Whilst it represents a fair price, there's tiny value in backing aways at such short odds because they don't always come in.

Motherwell have bullied us too often too recently for me to touch the Dons at that price but let's hope you're right  :thumbsup:

I couldn't agree more. Every football match is a 3 horse race. The home, draw or away are the only 3 possibilities and therefore 2/1 per outcome are the mathematical possibilities before probabilities get factored in by the bookies. A home win price at less than half the possible outcomes isn't good value for Pittodrie today in my book unlike the likes of Peterhead, Portsmouth, Leeds and Cowdenbeath who are all less than evens for the home win. Even Arbroath and Bayern away at less odds than AFC today represent greater value for me but if it was all totally predictable, we would all skin the bookies every week and the only certainty every month and every season is that the bookies make major profits.

• 1 month later...

Sticking to the principle of one pick each and putting on doubles only, BB and I are showing a healthy profit so far this season after 9 Saturday's. I'm 8/9 and he's 7/9 and we have had 6 winning doubles and 3 losers. After losing the last twice, looking for Ross County and Killie to get us moving forward again this Saturday.

A mate of mine puts on a £25 acca every week and won £809 a couple of weeks ago when six winners came in. He reckons he's won four times this season so will be well ahead of the bookie and guaranteed to be in profit come the end of the season, as we will be with our "nailed on doubles". There are different ways to skin a marmoset. If ever there was a sign from above that it's not easy and the need for humility, his coupon on Saturday contained six losers!

Rocket, I must admit we do love a Both Teams To Score Coupon.  Had two Europa League selection last night one for 6pm games and other 8pm matches £100 a go.  FC Copenhagen let me down for £1,200 in early start but later effort came up after 87 minutes when Sarpsborg equalised at Home to Malmo.  Also had FK Jabonlec 1 v 1 FC Astana, Rennes 1 v 2 Dynamo Kiev and Marseille 1 v 3 Lazio.  Never do more than four ties.  Netted me £1,002.27 like.   

• 3 weeks later...

I had £15 on Manchester City beating Manchester United 3-1 at (9/1) so happy days.  Lost a tenner on Sergio Aguero First Goal though.  Twice in five years since my Mam has died that I've predicted correct for Citeh in Etihad derby.  Had £10 in 2013 for us to win 4-1 at (50/1) so does show a difference to where the bookies have been with us to how they are now.  Never again will I celebrate an 87th minute Wayne Rooney free-kick like we did that Sunday afternoon!!!! 

Now 11 out of 13 winners but what a weekend!

The other two guys picked 10/11 and 17/20 shots which were 11am kick offs and were both leading by one goal after 83 and 84 minutes. My pick was Celtic at 2/9 but after being so fortunate with Norwich the day before, cashed out the treble for 2.243, so more than double the stake.

It was the first time I've used the cash out option this season but I'm still waiting to hear from minijc how the cash out option favours the bookies!

Without getting in to it as no matter what I say you'll argue and get nasty about it but for everyone that gets the cash out right there's probably hundreds getting it wrong, just think why did the first bookie start offering the option of cash out if it didn't benefit them?

Without getting in to it as no matter what I say you'll argue and get nasty about it but for everyone that gets the cash out right there's probably hundreds getting it wrong, just think why did the first bookie start offering the option of cash out if it didn't benefit them?

So you're saying that the majority of cash outs are exercised when the bets would've gone on to win anyway?