Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Betting

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

The fact is you don't know it's the correct decision when you push the button.

Isn't this the whole point?

Say full return of a bet is £220, you cash out for £190 with 10mins left, that £190 is less than what your bet is worth at the time of the cash out, it's not difficult and as usual you dish out the abuse knowing fuckall about what I do full time and the people I learn from.

A losing bet is worth zero. £190 in the hand is worth £220 in the bush. The bet is NOT WORTH ANYTHING at a time anything other than when it is realised, which in the old days, was full time.

You have been confused by the difference between in-play and cash out between legs. You're listening to dysfunctional human beings - and every professional gambler I've met is dysfunctional in their personal lives, rarely in a good relationship and almost always unable to hold down a job (and remember that I've met few, not many, certainly not the majority and not all) - and you're confusing their statements between in-play and other.

Examples. I put on Genoa last night at 4/9 doubled with Liverpool on Saturday. If I was stupid enough to cash out right now, I would get 1.342 instead of the 1.444 the bet has already earned... but it hasn't earned anything yet and won't do until it is realised. Unless I had changed my mind on Liverpool - who I think will perform well tonight and their price v. Stoke will reduce - then I have no reason to cash out.

I put on SV Ried and FC Porto last night, trebled with Celtic on Sunday. If I was to cash out now, that would be poor judgement as I'm getting better than 11/10 on Celtic this Sunday now, the difference between the original stake and the return if they win.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok Rocket as ever you are right, only you can be right despite the fact guys that RUN bookies know cashout is heavily stacked in their favour and that it's almost never value to cash out a bet.

Are you unable to communicate in English? Did you understand what I said?

Do you understand the fundamental and crucial difference between in-play and other?

Yes and clearly you don't as cash out and in play betting work side by side

Christ.

Do you know how the "cash out models" you talk of actually work?

No? Well let me tell you.

Calculate the amount your bet would have earned (first leg of a double or first leg or legs of a treble). Compare this to the actual the cash out value. Deduct the cash out offer from what the bet or bets would have earned. Divide that difference against the amount it would have earned. On bet365, it will be 0.0709 to the nearest 4th decimal point.

Heavily stacked you say? It's 7.1%.

Christ.

Do you know how the "cash out models" you talk of actually work?

No? Well let me tell you.

Calculate the amount your bet would have earned (first leg of a double or first leg or legs of a treble). Compare this to the actual the cash out value. Deduct the cash out offer from what the bet or bets would have earned. Divide that difference against the amount it would have earned. On bet365, it will be 0.0709 to the nearest 4th decimal point.

Heavily stacked you say? It's 7.1%.

I've seen my own bets where I've had £10 on the 3/1 has won with one leg to go and the offer is less than £30 if you want to take it, less than what the bet is worth, ta.

I've seen my own bets where I've had £10 on the 3/1 has won with one leg to go and the offer is less than £30 if you want to take it, less than what the bet is worth, ta.

OF COURSE it's going to be less than what it would be worth if the double comes in. That's hardly news?

It will be 7.1% less BEFORE in-play, before the commencement of the final leg. Then when in-play happens i.e. the match kicks off, the cash out option changes depending on what's happening in the final leg and depending on the time during the final leg.

And a bet is worth NOTHING until it is realised.

You said you "know the numbers and how it works". Once again, please justify your self-proclaimed superior knowledge?

OF COURSE it's going to be less than what it would be worth if the double comes in. That's hardly news?

It will be 7.1% less BEFORE in-play, before the commencement of the final leg. Then when in-play happens i.e. the match kicks off, the cash out option changes depending on what's happening in the final leg and depending on the time during the final leg.

And a bet is worth NOTHING until it is realised.

You said you "know the numbers and how it works". Once again, please justify your self-proclaimed superior knowledge?

Of course the bet is worth something otherwise they wouldn't offer you money ffs, at the time that guy cashed out his bet do you think he got the true value of it?  Cos he never, it's a good 150-250 shorter than what it was worth at the odds available at the time.

Of course the bet is worth something otherwise they wouldn't offer you money ffs, at the time that guy cashed out his bet do you think he got the true value of it?  Cos he never, it's a good 150-250 shorter than what it was worth at the odds available at the time.

At 2-1 up, Man U would've been what, 1/7 to win.

That punter took 2/3rds of what he would've got if he had held on and IF Man U had completed his 7 fold.

Now you've calculated that he should've been offered 150-250 more? Based on what?

At 2-1 up, Man U would've been what, 1/7 to win.

That punter took 2/3rds of what he would've got if he had held on and IF Man U had completed his 7 fold.

Now you've calculated that he should've been offered 150-250 more? Based on what?

Previous experience of seeing large offers for cash outs, I'll go back 2 seasons when Liverpool were 2-0 up on Southampton, bet my friends and I had on was returning roughly £2300, at 2-0 the cash out was around £1800 where as the true value was almost £2000, numbers are rough as it was a fair while back but it wasn't value to cash out at that amount.

Previous experience of seeing large offers for cash outs, I'll go back 2 seasons when Liverpool were 2-0 up on Southampton, bet my friends and I had on was returning roughly £2300, at 2-0 the cash out was around £1800 where as the true value was almost £2000, numbers are rough as it was a fair while back but it wasn't value to cash out at that amount.

You're confused. A cash out is an offer. It is an offer by the bookie for you to realise the bet, to end the contingency. Of course it will ALWAYS BE LESS than what we would get if we let the contingency run.

But the "value" of the offer is only in the decision-making of the offeree. An average punter is a stupid animal and he will lack knowledge of numbers. But the bet has no value until it is realised. An offer to realise will ALWAYS be in favour of the offeror and as we've now learned, to a specific percentage of every running multiple bet before the final leg.

I put a single on Reims at 7/5 for the away tonight. 3-1 up after 78 minutes, the cash out = 95.7% of the return.

I'm not taking it but is this "heavily stacked" in the bookies favour?

What should it be minijc?

Edit: having just made it 1-4, the cash out is over 99%. Is this wrong too?

Edit: I've got a single on Cardiff @ 9/5 and 1-0 up at HT, the cash out is 1.734. What should it be?

5 minutes into the 2nd half, the cash out has increased to 1.782. When should I cash out mini?

1.868 after 55 mins. 1.940 after 59 mins. 1.978 after 62. Evens after 66.

0.432 after the equaliser.

Now can you see how the cash out button works mini?

5 minutes into the 2nd half, the cash out has increased to 1.782. When should I cash out mini?

1.868 after 55 mins. 1.940 after 59 mins. 1.978 after 62. Evens after 66.

0.432 after the equaliser.

Now can you see how the cash out button works mini?

You should have cashed oot min.

I know the numbers and I know how the bookies work with cash out

But if I had cashed out at even money just before the Derby equaliser, I would have been better off surely?

Your "bookie mates" might convince a retarded punter that cash out is a bad option but as we've seen tonight, in real time, the cash out option is a nightmare for them. The ONLY data that matters to prove it either way is...

well you're a professional punter, you're the self-proclaimed expert, what is it?

Your bullshit doesn't cut no ice. The total saved v. the total lost by punters using the cash out button will prove without doubt that the cash out option is the punter's friend, not the bookies. They curse the first bookie who introduced it.

In furtherance of your education, my Genoa Liverpool double cash out has now increased to 1.405. Not the 1.444 that Genoa earned at 4/9 of course but a big increase from what it was, 1.342. You know why? Self-proclaimed expert? Of course you do. It's because Liverpool's odds have been slashed to 1/4 v. Stoke after their destruction of Roma.

In further furtherance of your vocational qualifications and your CPD, get this. I got Blackburn at 3/4 tonight in a double with TSG Hoffenheim on Friday. Instead of getting 1.75 to cash out with, I'm getting 1.648.

And my Chelmsford win tonight trebled with Fulham on Friday and Peterhead on Saturday, the bookies are withholding 8.852% in their cash out offer.

Idiot.

You keep ignoring my point just so you can belittle me, standard rocket behaviour from yourself, my point is and remains that when you cash out the bookies never give you the true worth of your bet AT THE TIME, that is a fact, you also say cash out and in play are separate when they aren't as without in play odds you wouldn't get a suitable offer.  That's my final bit on the subject, you think it's a good thing where as I don't, if people want to cash out their bets then go ahead but like I've already said it's a short term gain but a long term loser if it's continued to be used on most punters bets, wish you and the others on here the very best with your betting.

You keep ignoring my point just so you can belittle me, standard rocket behaviour from yourself, my point is and remains that when you cash out the bookies never give you the true worth of your bet AT THE TIME, that is a fact, you also say cash out and in play are separate when they aren't as without in play odds you wouldn't get a suitable offer.  That's my final bit on the subject, you think it's a good thing where as I don't, if people want to cash out their bets then go ahead but like I've already said it's a short term gain but a long term loser if it's continued to be used on most punters bets, wish you and the others on here the very best with your betting.

To be fair, I dinna think that was yer original point. You said that no experienced bettor would ever use cash out. That's certainly the bit I found strange.

I don't think anyone would use cash out on "most" bets, they would define each bet separately and base their judgement on the specific detail at the time. You've got to assume that even yer average bettor is a risk taker really, and so cash outs are probably in the minority. I'd go further and say that most cash outs are likely instigated by the bettor rather than bookie due to doubts over their stake.

The problem you have is that you can't reliably measure the success of cash outs from a bookies perspective, because the bettor has to be in a position of refusal in order to measure that point of refusal. For example, if I put a bet on the dons to win 2-0 on Friday and went to the game and we were 2-0 up after 50 minutes, I could go online and check the cash out offer and choose to take it or not. If I accept and it remains 2-0 then we know the value "saved" by the bookie, similarly if I accept and a goal is scored we can see my gain. However, I could just as easily be pished and not check the status of that bet until full time. If Hertz pull a goal back or we score another, do we count me not taking the cash out that I never saw as a successful use of the cash out facility for the bookie? If so, what is the level of that success? Do we say that the maximum cash out odds were offered in the minute before Hertz/we scored, or do we take the cash out odds offered the minute after the second goal was scored, or before the second went in where I could have also got a portion of my 2-0 odds returned, or an average of all 3? You simply can't measure it as there's too much hidden/silent evidence that can't be quantified, because you're completely ignoring the overwhelming majority of bets where the bettor does not attempt to use the cash out facility whether in success or failure. Within our 2-0 example for instance, lets say the goals were in 82nd and 84th minutes. Those people who had a bet on 1-0 or 0-0 could conceivably have been offered cash out positions too and taken them or not. Do we count the number of bets not cashed out when the score was 0-0 and the bettor had 0-0 as a success for the bookie of the cash-out system or just a success of the normal win/loss process? Eh? Fars yer answers min? I'm fucking confused.

Edit: in Rocket/BBs syndicate, each of their successes can also - by definition - as a success to them over the cash out system, as they did not cash out (unless they did). Each loss is is also - by definition - a success for the bookie because they did not cash out.

The cash out option returns more money to the punter on bets that went on to lose than it saves in them cashing out before the bet goes on to win anyway. That's a fact.

Rhetoric such as short term gains and longer term losses when discussing the cash out concept illustrates a critical thinking breakdown. That's a fact too.

You also fail to comprehend that every bet has no value until it wins. Every bet is a stake lost, until it is realised either as a winning bet on completion or cashed out before completion. It has no "value" ever, other than to the punter who can decide whether or not to take the money early.

Sounds to me like a gullible perennially-losing punter has had his head stuffed full of mince.

Rico, I've cashed out twice with BB, costing us £6 or £7 cos they both went on to win anyway. It was the 88th minute when MK Dons and Pawlett were battering Blackburn at 1-2 the first one (and my team were only 1 up at the time) and just before Chelsea scored their 2nd on Sunday. So it cost us but no regrets for realising the bets when I did and taking out the risk of two losing stakes. That's the only twice we've done it in 17 or 18 bets.

I'm still 100% since our first double and last nights loss came after 5 straight winners. I'm going to bet a big chunk of our £90+ profit this Saturday on BB's Monaco and my Liverpool. And I've put more money than we've got in the bank on our "nailed on treble" with my mate who picked Dunfermline, plus a big stake on our communal picks, Ayr and Dunfermline. Just a funny time of the season though which I hopefully won't be saying I should've known after Saturday!

Rico, I've cashed out twice with BB, costing us £6 or £7 cos they both went on to win anyway. It was the 88th minute when MK Dons and Pawlett were battering Blackburn at 1-2 the first one (and my team were only 1 up at the time) and just before Chelsea scored their 2nd on Sunday. So it cost us but no regrets for realising the bets when I did and taking out the risk of two losing stakes. That's the only twice we've done it in 17 or 18 bets.

But then you also didn't take cash out option when offered in all your other winnings, so they were a success too over the cash out system.

I suppose IMO the better way to look at it is an entirely new bet, and that's how I'd always view it. Completely forget about what the original bet was because it's entirely irrelevant to the new bet.

For example, if you put £10 on 1-0 with a £15 return in a game with ten minutes to go and you check yer cash out option and its £13.50, then you simply decide whether you want to gamble £13.50 on 0-0 over ten minutes for a £15 return as that is what your new bet is. I find that looking at it that way gives a more logical approach to it. It's no different then to any other "in-game" bet with an entirely new stake. If I'm watching a game, then I have the immediate (perceived) advantage of having a better understanding of what's going to happen next. I've bet on quite a few games that I've been watching on the telly when I have a suspicion that team X is going to stage a comeback or some such. This is no different.

The stupidest of all his many stupid points was the guy who took out £4,950 for a £10 stake wasn't getting "value" and that the bookie cheated him. For sure Man U would've been less than 1/2 at the time but who would've stuck 5k on them then? The punter didn't. He put a tenner on, which multiplied by six successes turned his £10 into 500/1 if he wanted to take it. Will he be kicking himself for not holding out for £7,400? Will he fuck. Will the bookies be clapping themselves on the backs for saving themselves £2,400? Will they fuck. They just lost a 500/1 punt. For every cash out (like this) they win on, there's many more that they lose.

To be fair, I dinna think that was yer original point. You said that no experienced bettor would ever use cash out. That's certainly the bit I found strange.

I don't think anyone would use cash out on "most" bets, they would define each bet separately and base their judgement on the specific detail at the time. You've got to assume that even yer average bettor is a risk taker really, and so cash outs are probably in the minority. I'd go further and say that most cash outs are likely instigated by the bettor rather than bookie due to doubts over their stake.

The problem you have is that you can't reliably measure the success of cash outs from a bookies perspective, because the bettor has to be in a position of refusal in order to measure that point of refusal. For example, if I put a bet on the dons to win 2-0 on Friday and went to the game and we were 2-0 up after 50 minutes, I could go online and check the cash out offer and choose to take it or not. If I accept and it remains 2-0 then we know the value "saved" by the bookie, similarly if I accept and a goal is scored we can see my gain. However, I could just as easily be pished and not check the status of that bet until full time. If Hertz pull a goal back or we score another, do we count me not taking the cash out that I never saw as a successful use of the cash out facility for the bookie? If so, what is the level of that success? Do we say that the maximum cash out odds were offered in the minute before Hertz/we scored, or do we take the cash out odds offered the minute after the second goal was scored, or before the second went in where I could have also got a portion of my 2-0 odds returned, or an average of all 3? You simply can't measure it as there's too much hidden/silent evidence that can't be quantified, because you're completely ignoring the overwhelming majority of bets where the bettor does not attempt to use the cash out facility whether in success or failure. Within our 2-0 example for instance, lets say the goals were in 82nd and 84th minutes. Those people who had a bet on 1-0 or 0-0 could conceivably have been offered cash out positions too and taken them or not. Do we count the number of bets not cashed out when the score was 0-0 and the bettor had 0-0 as a success for the bookie of the cash-out system or just a success of the normal win/loss process? Eh? Fars yer answers min? I'm fucking confused.

Edit: in Rocket/BBs syndicate, each of their successes can also - by definition - as a success to them over the cash out system, as they did not cash out (unless they did). Each loss is is also - by definition - a success for the bookie because they did not cash out.

I'm friends with a lot of guys that bet full time, most making a lot of money each year, they won't use cash out as it's not the value play, they'll hedge or trade their positions to make as much as possible and remain in control of the bet, there's plenty examples online now that many get stung by cash out, most recent one 2 weeks ago was a guy that cashed out his £1 bet for 64p, bet then came in and the return was over £1000, people like that probably shouldn't bet, I also know a guy I went to school with that cashes out at the first chance he gets which in the long run is a massive loser.

The stupidest of all his many stupid points was the guy who took out £4,950 for a £10 stake wasn't getting "value" and that the bookie cheated him. For sure Man U would've been less than 1/2 at the time but who would've stuck 5k on them then? The punter didn't. He put a tenner on, which multiplied by six successes turned his £10 into 500/1 if he wanted to take it. Will he be kicking himself for not holding out for £7,400? Will he fuck. Will the bookies be clapping themselves on the backs for saving themselves £2,400? Will they fuck. They just lost a 500/1 punt. For every cash out (like this) they win on, there's many more that they lose.

as ever you go with the insults, I thought you were past all of that shit?  Never mind, you genuinely think the guys bets was worth £4950 at the time, it wasn't, it was worth over £5000, that's where the bookie then makes a little extra and that's why they like people that cash out, I'd even go as far to say that over a football season bookies will be saving a fair amount through cash out

as ever you go with the insults, I thought you were past all of that shit? 

It's not insults. I said that your points were stupid. Either they are or they are not.

I even pointed out why they were stupid and I went further, I told you where they had come from.

On the contrary, I invested time trying to help you, to get you to understand.

Here's a quote from Steve Jobs. You probably use one of his products: -

"That's been one of my mantras - focus and simplicity. Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. But it's worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains".

So let's cut the bullshit and let's think clean. The bullshit is your pride and it is once again your fragility in self-confidence and your lack of intellect but at least half of them over on the hat are thicker than you are so take comfort from this fact. It's not my fault that you struggle to comprehend. Ok, I could be gentler with you but this is Aberdeen, we say it how it is. Trust me, I could be much more coorse too but your failing to grasp simple concepts and repeating something that someone told you doesn't cut any ice. As a pro punter yourself, you could have at least used numbers and scenarios to bolster your argument but none were forthcoming.

Never mind, you genuinely think the guys bets was worth £4950 at the time, it wasn't, it was worth over £5000, that's where the bookie then makes a little extra and that's why they like people that cash out, I'd even go as far to say that over a football season bookies will be saving a fair amount through cash out

In the spirit of keeping it simple, the bet wasn't worth £4,950 at that time. It wasn't "worth" anything. The only transaction had been a £10 stake and on anything above 2 or 3/1 shots, let alone accas and 740/1 shots like this, the bets lose the vast majority of the time.

The bookie didn't "make any extra". The bookie lost 4,950, for a tenner! There was a chance he might have made a tenner if Man U didn't win, and if the other six stakes hadn't too but we live in the age of the cash-out option and as I have proved this season, it has worked for us. But my example is irrelevant. Big data informs us that it works for punters and it works against the bookies, thanks to the first bookie who introduced it. The bookies who tell you that cashing out is good for them are dishonest people by nature and why would they give you free advice anyway, unlike me?

I'm friends with a lot of guys that bet full time, most making 6figures a year, they won't use cash out as it's not the value play, they'll hedge or trade their positions to make as much as possible and remain in control of the bet, there's plenty examples online now that many get stung by cash out, most recent one 2 weeks ago was a guy that cashed out his £1 bet for 64p, bet then came in and the return was over £1000, people like that probably shouldn't bet, I also know a guy I went to school with that cashes out at the first chance he gets which in the long run is a massive loser.

Obviously that's a terrible example, a bit like using the example of the obese manny fa lived til he was 100 as a reason to not eat healthily. Anyone who cashes out a £1 bet probably shouldn't bet as you say. Although the bookie still has not won anymore then 36p on this occasion, they just didn't lose £999.36 in the process. Similarly your mate who always cashes out isn't a good illustration of the intelligent gambler.

You suggest that people trade or hedge their positions, that's the bit I'm not familiar with in modern betting. I understood that you could do this on Betfair (the inventors of the cash out I believe), but I wasn't aware you could trade a Bet365/WillieHill bet for example. In other words, if I don't use Betfair then my only choice is cash out or bet the offered stake on the remaining bet (which is what yer doing). If I only use Betfair then perhaps I'm limiting my initial odds as a result? I dinna get the bit where you say they never use it, that's the part that's confusing me. At that point they have already decided that they want to cash out (going by yer six figure sum suggestion, they're clearly not just ditching their bet if they think they're going to lose through pride or something). Are there channels not available to me as an occasional bettor that they're using? Or do they just always use Betfair?

To clarify too, bookies don't save money through cash out, they just don't lose as much, it's a very important distinction. Also, "they like people that cash out", isnae really a thing (other than yer mate) is it? People are not "cashers-out" or "non-cashers-out" surely? That must be something that is on a per-game basis, rather than per-gambler basis? Rocket being an example, could not be classed as a "casher-out", but does cash out on individual games. Anyone that cashes out every single time is clearly a moron and shouldn't be the basis of this conversation. Or was yer point not actually "never cash out" but "don't cash out unless you feel you'll otherwise lose and you can't trade your bet", in which case I think you, me and Rocket are probably all in agreement.