Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Accies Away League Cup 09/08

Not a great performance but we are through which is all that matters in the cup.

Really need to get a striker in as the more I see of Maynard the less I like. Does not look like he knows where the goal is. As BB saidStorey did more in his 15 minutes than Maynard did in 75. Big Joe played well along with O'Connor and McLean. Christie showed in flashes along with Wright. Rest were pretty poor tonight. Large support but unusually quite for away day but that might have been down to the performance from the team.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was pretty dire, uninspiring Scrappy football last night. Not a game to get excited about.

Only Lewis and McLean got pass marks from me, O'Connor did just enough possibly but the rest were way below par, even Shinnie wasn't at the races last night. Nothing Christie tried came off for him and he always seemed desperate to get rid of the ball.

Maynard, well just not convinced he's a striker.

Thought Storey did well when he was introduced as did Stewart who really should have buried that header.

A win, but a bloody ugly win.

So what is wrong with us at the moment.

It's not just fitness is it?

Are we just not gelling and need time?

Are we not as good as we think we are hence getting put out of Europa against a team we should've beaten IMO.

Is DM picking the wrong systems or players?

I'm a bit baffled to be honest.we have the talent there but something's missing.

So what is wrong with us at the moment.

It's not just fitness is it?

Are we just not jelling and need time?

Are we not as good as we think we are hence getting put out of Europa against a team we should've beaten IMO.

Is DM picking the wrong systems or players?

I'm a bit baffled to be honest.we have the talent there but something's missing.

It's the start of the season, new signings taking time to bed in, the two domestic games have been against a pretty brutal side in every sense of the word. McInnes will tinker with the side because of the options available and the new players/Rooney's injury, once it all settles down I'd expect us to click, no point panicking at the moment, especially as we've got through the last two unscathed.

It's beginning to look like Maynard thinks he's too good to be playing in "Jock" football.

That's not it I don't think. I think he's pretty grateful to be here (or anywhere). Very much like Goodwillie, it's like he's spent so much time on the fringes that he's forgotten how to play the game (or specifically, forgotten how to play the position). He can still control a ball and make a pass if it's obvious, and occasionally do something good. You can see by the runs he makes, or doesn't make, that he's just not reading the game and understanding his role. Like Goodwillie, if we persist with him, there might be the odd game where things click for him and he regains a bit of the past player he perhaps was but for the most part he won't get it. I think Maynard is destined for part time fitba without a shite load of constant work and game time.

Compare that to Rooney, who's off form. It's night and day. Rooney is still making the runs, he knows exactly what to do. He's just a yard off where he should be, making the run half a second too late. Just struggling with a bit of sharpness and a bit of fitness. He's 29, I've absolutely no doubt that he'll come good again.

It's the start of the season, new signings taking time to bed in, the two domestic games have been against a pretty brutal side in every sense of the word. McInnes will tinker with the side because of the options available and the new players/Rooney's injury, once it all settles down I'd expect us to click, no point panicking at the moment, especially as we've got through the last two unscathed.

Exactly. Hamilton were our bogey team last season and we've just beaten them home and away. Give the team time to find their feet ffs!

Heaps and heaps of attacking options but no cutting edge up front.

It's beginning to look like Maynard thinks he's too good to be playing in "Jock" football.

Nah min. Yer jumping wildly to conclusions. He's full of effort from what I've seen. Even in the friendly the other week against Brechin he was itching to score. Give him a few games and let him find his feet before we condemn him eh.

Nah min. Yer jumping wildly to conclusions. He's full of effort from what I've seen. Even in the friendly the other week against Brechin he was itching to score. Give him a few games and let him find his feet before we condemn him eh.

If jumping wildly to conclusions was an olympic sport then I could be a gold medalist *

I don't see an awful lot of effort going into his game, hope I'm wrong.

* If I had a country that took part in the olympics, which I don't.

This. Europe came too early. In the past it's been the same squad, this year we tried to compete in Europe with new players who lack fitness, form, and familiarity. We need time to gel. It took DM until December last year to figure shit out and find a consistent team, hope it doesn't take that long this season.

Saying the above, I think Maynard being compared to Goodwillie is fair. He was a player, just may not have it any more. I really think, based on DMs comments after Saturday, Storey will be on his way and I have to think (and certainly hope!) another forward will come in.

Good domestic start despite performances, 2 games, two wins, no goals conceded (beating last years bogie team twice) all immediately after a very disappointing and exhausting European exit. In total, 6 competitive games and a 4-1-1 record is not too shabby. Performances will improve over time.

aye,seem to remember a not too inspiring start to last season and we came good.Even with a higher turnover of players this season,results have been,so far, comparable if not slightly better than last.Another couple of months to bed in i'd say,and an inspired signing(defender or striker) along the way wouldnt go amiss....

Take it there are no 'non-red tv' clips of the goal?

No but The Red Final took the liberty of illustrating the goal in MS Paint really well. Feel like I've seen it a hunner times now. Cracking assist from Wright.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'd post it but I canna get the FB Book here at work.