Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Accies Away League Cup 09/08

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BBC saying it was an entertaining contest. Really impressed with our support as usual, and I've got to say pleasantly surprised by our start to the season. Time for everyone to get on board and back ALL the players, and the choices the manager makes.

Fingers crossed for a home draw.

I think we can criticise them on an online forum though....

Of course, but in my opinion there's been too much negativity considering what's happened over the summer, so instead of criticising individual players who've barely had a chance to impress yet, I'll criticise the greetin' faced cunts who're not happy unless they've got something to moan about.

Of course, but in my opinion there's been too much negativity considering what's happened over the summer, so instead of criticising individual players who've barely had a chance to impress yet, I'll criticise the greetin' faced cunts who're not happy unless they've got something to moan about.

We've had an issue in the striker role for a season now. Rooney struggling with form and Stockley and Storey known quantities of pish. I like to make a snap judgement on a player online based on their first performance or so, cause that's what forums are for. So I'm laying it on the line and saying Maynard is shite at fitba. I'm right more than I've been wrong in the past about players, McGinn a notable exception, Taylor went on to be better than I gave him credit for. I'm always happy watching the dons though, and wouldn't boo a player. I don't dislike players due to perceived hun/timness and I dinna hold grudges and am quick to change my judgement on a player and accept that they just lose form (for example, I dinna accuse Reynolds of being past it, losing his legs or just shite when he's clearly performed quite well for the last 6 months just to back up a point that was made when he was off form). I'll very happily afford Maynard a full apology when he proves me wrong. But it's good fun to have an opinion on players. Better than being a happy clapper and saying that every dons player is ace. Like McLean. McLean is ace.

Horrible game of football, a tenner to get in was drastically overpriced.  Surprised there were as many as 800 Accies fans there, certainly didn't look like that.

We never got going really, despite the attempts of Christie to make things happen. Great turn by Wright to set up the goal but he never had much of a say in the game other than that.  Good finish from McLean with his right foot, and as usual with his right, he takes his time and doesn't thrash at it, and what do you know? It goes in the back of the net as opposed to over the bar and far away.

Maynard - I really hope there is a lot more to come.  Took him til half an hour to touch the ball. Had one bright moment in the second half where he turned well and had a good shot which just went over but other than that he genuinely looked uninterested.  He'd split the defenders when the ball was in our half, neither of Accies centre backs looked bothered about it.  His runs were half arsed.  He did a lot of pointing, which was quite good (just to keep up with the positives...  ;))

Conversely, Storey looked lively when he came on and had some good moments and linked well with the wide players.  The play still fell apart around him a couple of times too many but he made a nuisance of himself and probably did more in 15 mins than Maynard did in 75.

Tansey (2nd half), Shinnie, O'Connor all get pass marks as does Joe Lewis who took a bad one to the head in the first half but he recovered just as Danny Rogers was getting ready to come on.  The rest, not at their best but through to the next round which is brilliant.

We're in the instant gratification generation remember, and I think the 'criticism' of Maynard is fair game. Maybe I'm missing it but I don't hear that much criticism of Tansey, GMS, or Stewart because I think people are inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt - they're somewhat name players who have proven they can hack it at SPL level. Virtually none of us had heard of Maynard and questioned his ability from day 1 - we've seen the average or worse players come up from the English lower leagues before and I don't want another of those. He's ultimately a forward who is paid to get goals and assists, and to date what have we seen?

Adding based on Bobby's match report. I also think we'd be inclined to support Maynard more if it looked like he was working his hardest. We don't really know what the fuck has happened to Miles Storey over the last year or so but he still appears to really try when he comes on despite clearly not being in the managers long term plans. You'd think Maynard would be trying his best to impress but I just don't see that based on games I've seen, but it also seems the other way around with Storey being the one trying to impress. Maynard doesn't appear to do much more (if more) than Rooney and we don't need another one - not a knock on Rooney, we just don't need another Rooney type......although Rooney scores, yet to see Maynard do that.