Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Red Ultras

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to remember the Red Ultras burying some dead children on Saddleworth moor one time. That's why I never liked them.

I'm sure you knew what I mean.

As far as I am aware the Red Ultras were about 15+ maximum. The rest were people/ordinary fans desperate for a bit of atmosphere i.e. ordinary punters who congregated alongside them.

There is no getting away from it - they and anyone standing next to them were often looked upon as some sort of aliens beings from planet ZOG by majority who come and sit and say bugger all and offer nothing. In addition, these idiots in yellow jackets would swarm around red ultras section at the slightest hint of a unified hand clap. 

They were treated very badly for no reason other than being different and making a noise.

Some of these guys were refused the use of a megaphone on match day by the club as the club felt that families seeing one might think there was a fire alert in the stadium!!!!

Atmosphere problem could be solved with unallocated terracing next to the away fans and those who think the stadium is a cinema could go elsewhere.

Too many fans already do go elsewhere including the cinema come game time.  They already look forward to the away games more - giving money to other clubs.  11k to 12,000 attendances are not really making much money for the club really.

There is a hell of a lot of politics as regards the atmosphere issue at Pittodrie which culminated in the departure of the RU thing.  The Police would ensure that unallocated seating next to away areas would never be allowed to happen meaning all these arguments and sit down, stand up stuff goes on and on.

It's not all a lost cause but probably is unless club changes its attitude.

I'm sure you knew what I mean.

As far as I am aware the Red Ultras were about 15+ maximum. The rest were people/ordinary fans desperate for a bit of atmosphere i.e. ordinary punters who congregated alongside them.

There is no getting away from it - they and anyone standing next to them were often looked upon as some sort of aliens beings from planet ZOG by majority who come and sit and say bugger all and offer nothing. In addition, these idiots in yellow jackets would swarm around red ultras section at the slightest hint of a unified hand clap. 

They were treated very badly for no reason other than being different and making a noise.

Some of these guys were refused the use of a megaphone on match day by the club as the club felt that families seeing one might think there was a fire alert in the stadium!!!!

The Red Ultras were treated badly by the club. But, they needed a thicker skin. The Green Brigade do not have a perfect relationship with Celtic (they walked out of the Lyon friendly at the weekend to protest at being denied access to their flags or something) but they didn't just give up and disband, they kept going, protested when they needed to, and made sure they weren't ignored.

Aberdeen wanted rid of the Ultras and they got what they wanted because they said enough was enough and left. The club won. You've got Mezz vowing not to go back as if the club are going to beg him and the Ultras to reform. If I was him I'd be currently plotting how to come back bigger and better than ever before, to the point where they can't be ignored and they do have a voice because like you say the DST or anyone else aren't going to fight their battle for them.

As for the SLO, the jury is out on her, but the appointment should have been someone out with the club.

Many of us are quick to blame the club and other fans for the lack of substance to the RUs or what they do but I do think the RUs themselves have to take some responsibility. They quickly do when they put on a fantastic display! As I alluded to in my earlier post they are only interested in elevating themselves above the "normal" fans. If they succeeded in getting the whole stadium singing they'd probably go in the huff and start signing obscure European songs that no one else knows (and are shite). Oh wait.. that part they already do. They would rather be in a minority of people signing than a majority of people singing. (Clarified for the troll.) They could definitely look at their own attitudes first. At least the flag waving doesn't really happen during games anymore.

And can you imagine if one of them (or any vocal fan for that matter) had a megaphone? Fuck that. I'm delighted the club don't let just anyone go aboot with a megaphone.

Many of us are quick to blame the club and other fans for the lack of substance to the RUs or what they do but I do think the RUs themselves have to take some responsibility. They quickly do when they put on a fantastic display! As I alluded to in my earlier post they are only interested in elevating themselves above the "normal" fans. If they succeeded in getting the whole stadium singing they'd probably go in the huff and start signing obscure European songs that no one else knows (and are shite). Oh wait.. that part they already do. They would rather be in a minority of people signing than a majority of people singing. (Clarified for the troll.) They could definitely look at their own attitudes first. At least the flag waving doesn't really happen during games anymore.

And can you imagine if one of them (or any vocal fan for that matter) had a megaphone? Fuck that. I'm delighted the club don't let just anyone go aboot with a megaphone.

Sorry, but that's just nonsense.

Yes they sang different songs, but that's how you introduce new songs. The "we're better fans" thing, that may apply to a few individual members - I do remember complaints of teenagers telling others to "fucking sing" -but I don't think it described them all collectively. The waving flags thing during games was annoying, though that was before they had their own section. It was one of many reasons it put fans off joining them though.

Back on the foreign chants. I watched a video of them in section Y during a Rangers game. The chants don't work when there's a small group of you. However I imagine if there's 4,000 of you chanting then it's a different story. From memory they were singing the Will Grigg tune years before it became popular.

To go back to the start of the thread, I think they should come back and give it another go. But they'd need to accept that they'll have to do it from RDU, or forget the flags and infiltrate the south stand where most folk are standing and singing anyway and where the "new" chants might catch on.

This is the video I was on about. They sung plenty of "traditional" songs like stand free and "aberdeen, aberdeen", but tried to introduce more. As above they'd sound better with more fans joining in but that wasn't really their fault.

The good thing about the front of the Y was that it gave the police plenty opportunity to photograph and film all those taking part.

There was little else to recommend the placement.

The police intimidation was appalling, supported by the club.

There's always problems with a group of young lads, but they weren't the Casuals, I'm not sure that the club ever really realised this.

I remember one day in particular when it was absolutely pishing down.

Once wet, they may as well "go for it" and stayed singing through the deluge.

All I heard from fans under cover was comments like "they're aff their heids"

No appreciation of their efforts, no minds cast back to when they themselves were younger and more stupid.

Just criticism.

We really don't deserve anybody actually trying.

Tin hat on again, but you've already said as much earlier in the thread dd, it's because aberdonians, by and large, are miserable moaning bastards. The reason we don't have a support that the ultras tried to encourage is summarised easily with those three words. The clubs officials are also of course as much to blame as those fans.

Sorry, but that's just nonsense.

Yes they sang different songs, but that's how you introduce new songs. The "we're better fans" thing, that may apply to a few individual members - I do remember complaints of teenagers telling others to "fucking sing" -but I don't think it described them all collectively. The waving flags thing during games was annoying, though that was before they had their own section. It was one of many reasons it put fans off joining them though.

Back on the foreign chants. I watched a video of them in section Y during a Rangers game. The chants don't work when there's a small group of you. However I imagine if there's 4,000 of you chanting then it's a different story. From memory they were singing the Will Grigg tune years before it became popular.

To go back to the start of the thread, I think they should come back and give it another go. But they'd need to accept that they'll have to do it from RDU, or forget the flags and infiltrate the south stand where most folk are standing and singing anyway and where the "new" chants might catch on.

When the group is made up of 10-15 members (and maybe some youth hingers-on) and of them "a few individual members" are looking down their noses at anyone who's nae them then that can very quickly constitute half the organisation or more. So I'm not sure what you take exception to exactly.

When the group is made up of 10-15 members (and maybe some youth hingers-on) and of them "a few individual members" are looking down their noses at anyone who's nae them then that can very quickly constitute half the organisation or more. So I'm not sure what you take exception to exactly.

Someone asked at the start of this thread - what happened to the Red Ultras.  The answer is they do not exist anymore.

As to 'them & us'; they look down at us, we are better fans than them perceptions and they are making too much noise etc politics.

It's very tiresome for both sides - that is part of the reason why RU do not exist anymore.  People get fed up with all this petty tit for tat arguments especially when we all support the same team.

In all honesty, I see no hope whatsoever for any atmosphere creation at Pittodrie or in the eventuality of a Kingsford move. Not now, now next season or in next 10 years.  The vast majority who follow Aberdeen have no interest in making a racket at Pittodrie nor do they want others making a racket and have no desire to provide any sort of passionate support to the team on the pitch.  There is an obsession with numbers but no desire to make noise.

Alongside that, the club rulers do not want any singing section and are a very unprogressive group of people. They do not want flags, they do not want anything whatsoever that could be labelled 'atmosphere' - as if they did a proper no holds barred area would have been put in place a long time ago.  All they want is to attract 'families'.

Just as a final note.  All over Europe there are stadiums with same attitudes at Aberdeen.  But the difference is that there is choice, consumer choice i.e. a standing section, a family section, a miserable sods section (sic) and section for VIP's. 

At Aberdeen we have no choice whatsoever meaning there is only going to be a conflict between those who wish to stand and those who want to sit.

By rights of logic to counteract that conflict the club as the stadium owners could do something about it like Celtic did and create a 3600 standing area.

Will they do this, have they done this ??? No, they have not.

I thought the section in the Merkland was as good as the Ultras could have hoped for,without the hassle of the club having to dump families elsewhere.

The section they got was adequate for the numbers they attracted,and I dont think what they did there conflicted with the families,or anyone in the Y.Didnt work out IMO,partly because they didnt manage to connect with the rest of the fans(latino songs dont suit N/Ers,and partly because were just dour supporters.

Dont personally blame the club too much...

The area in the Merkland was cordoned off and was reinforced with stewards.  How can they possibly hope to connect with a poorly populated Merkland when its empty most of the time?  How can those in the Merkland connect with the majority who bring absolutely nothing to the event other than sit and say nothing?

It is the clubs fault.

The club needs to have a safe standing section with space for 2,500. 

The area in the Merkland was cordoned off and was reinforced with stewards.  How can they possibly hope to connect with a poorly populated Merkland when its empty most of the time?  How can those in the Merkland connect with the majority who bring absolutely nothing to the event other than sit and say nothing?

It is the clubs fault.

The club needs to have a safe standing section with space for 2,500.

Safe standing - Tom Widdows would be better placed to answer this than me, but I wouldn't think the South and Merkland could accommodate the rail seating unless major upgrades were made to the stands themselves. So the only place to realistically put it would be in the RDU (can't see them moving those in the RDL). But, if the club do that, then fans would leave the south stand to go there, and actually taking fans further away from the pitch, and not necessarily improving the atmosphere. So I don't see the club considering it, especially when they plan to leave the stadium in three years.

You're spot on though about the club setting the singing section up to fail last season. The stand should have been split 50/50, with at the very least 2 sections given to the singing section. That way those who wanted to wave flags for 90 minutes could have still had their section in the corner, but others could have taken up the section next to them and helped increase the noise levels.

Instead, they gave them just that corner, no non-ultra is going to go and stand behind a massive flag for 90 minutes so the section never grew. They were cut off from the rest of the support because the bottom of the Y is generally empty and to the other side of them they had the big tarpaulin flag and kids.

It was a ridiculous idea from the club, but I'm also surprised those pushing for the section didn't foresee the problems. I guess they were so desperate to get the Merkland they thought it was worth a shot. Both sides deserve criticism for their stupidity.

Compare it to how Hibs have handled the Hibs ultra group "since 1875", who are moving from the East Stand to the upper deck behind the goal (odd move as thought they had a good thing going on where they were, but appears it is them that asked to move). They say they've gone from 35 season tickets for their section last season, to over 200 for next season.

From the Hibs website:

Hibernian can confirm that Section 25 of the Famous Five Upper Stand will be a designated singing section for the 2017-18 season.

The Club have been working with fan group Since 1875 on plans to build on the impressive atmosphere enjoyed at Easter Road this season, and this move will hopefully contribute this in the coming season.

In a letter to supporters, which season ticket holders will receive later this week by post or e-mail. Chief Executive Leeann Dempster outlined the plans.

She said: "One of my important aims for next season is to improve match-day atmosphere. It is important for supporters, but it is equally important for the players and the management team.  You may have heard Neil speak about this before - both he and the players tell us that when Easter Road is noisy, when the fans are singing and supporting the team that it help push them on and lifts them.

"We have undertaken some smaller projects to achieve this, but we want to make a bigger impact now. We have been in discussions with the fan group ‘Since 1875’ - they have been active in Section 43 of the East Stand since the redevelopment of the stadium and have been behind some of the prominent fan displays like the inspired ‘Time for Heroes’ banner at Hampden.

"One thing that we have spoken to them about is to identify an area in the stadium that can be dedicated to a traditional ‘singing section’.  Other clubs have taken this route both at home here in Scotland and abroad and it is recognised to have improved atmosphere, so we have decided that it is project that we want to deliver for the long-term benefit of the club, the team and the supporters at Easter Road.

"This will mean that some supporters currently in the East will move across to Section 25 of the Famous Five Upper and start to build a new ‘singing section’ where supporters who are interested in being involved can participate."

If you are interested in being part of this, and relocating to section 25 in the Famous Five Upper, please download the application from our campaign website www.bornahibee.com and return it by 23rd March via email to FamousFive@hibernianfc.co.uk.

What you have to understand is the amount of politics with this issue.

The club is desperate to move at any cost to Kingsford and that in itself is hugely political.  They are also desperate to be some sort of community family club at all costs which means a singing style section is a complete opposite to what they see themselves as wanting to be i.e. a fluffy family community club.

Various sections within Pittodrie have been given over to singing but these have been political and half arsed.  Upper RDS, Lower Y, Merkland side - but the club have never done it with any sort of commitment or honesty as basically, the people that run security are quite devious, duplicitous and to be frank former police Scotland (which AFC Community Trust are also underneath it all - former police).

Many many clubs in Scotland have led the way in singing sections. As in going against the tide of the Taylor Report and allowing fans to stand and sing.  Hibs doing it, Celtic did it, Rangers did it, Motherwell has done it - all successful.

It takes effort from the club (management, strategy, will from club rulers) to make it work not a group of 15 guys with 30 teenagers in tow.  At Aberdeen FC there is not a will to make it work.  Hibs, for example, has sold 14,700 season tickets and administrated singing section properly. all be it this might be temporary that is 4,000 ST more overall than us a shameful indictment of our club.

Its virtually impossible for a group - red ultras to succeed at Pittodrie given what is inside Pittodrie decision making corridors.  A shadow number of guys have tried to work with Community Trust, SLO recently - this display fund thing - but the 1st game of season v Siroki.........Pittodrie was as flat as a pancake.

There is no atmosphere inside Pittodrie whatsoever providing that support the players need. And frankly I dont think Messrs Fraser, Milne, Prockter, Yule care.

The 14500 figure was the aim.  I think official its 12500 they sold. My mistake. Still 2k more than us - why?

Maybe there's more Hibs fans that can afford ST's, Edinburgh's a big place. Also there'll be the "bounce" effect of being back in the big league to take into account, min.  ;D

No it's not officially 12,500, it's "we've now passed the 12,000" mark. Aberdeen are pushing for 11,000 sales, as we're not that far behind them.

Two big factors in Hibs sales. Easter Road and is a far better stadium. And the season ticket prices are much cheaper than Aberdeen's.

Look there is this obsession with Aberdeen (and lots of clubs) as regards numbers.  "We took 3k to hearts, we took 4k to St Johnstone, we had 17k v Siroki Brijeg" etc etc etc.  It matters to accountants what numbers are coming in the gates but it's not meaning much to the players on the field during 90 minutes. 

I'm not sure the Hibs singing section will be up to much TBH - its not in same league as the one at Rangers or Celtic but Hibs is trying to do it properly.

The questions are for is, and are on:

What happened to the Red Ultras? Gone, finito, goodnight Vienna.

Where is and when will we be getting a standing section? Open question.

Where is our singing section?  None

When is the club going to do anything radical about Pittodrie atmosphere? ???????????????????