Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Red Ultras

What is the story with the Red Ultras? Are they gone for good? Are there any members on here?

Were the first "ultra" group in Scotland, yet everyone took over them. Even Motherwell and St Johnstone seem to have better groups than the singing section that gathered on the Merkland last season.

I think it's a shame, I don't want to be one of the ones mocking them, I think a proper group improving the atmosphere at games would be great. You can't help but applaud a lot of what the Green Brigade have done for the atmosphere at Celtic Park.

Would love to see a proper group, whether that's the Red Ultras or a new one, get going, but the singing section in the Merkland last season was really poor. But everything seems to have been done half heartedly the last few years. It's all been about flag displays and banners rather than actually growing the group and getting new songs introduced and actually making a difference with the atmosphere.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My tuppence worth - Dont have a problem with some sort of group,not my cup of tea like,but fun for the younger ones.

Some of the songs the Ultras tried to introduce though,just didnt suit AFC,eg latino/samba on a chilly Tuesday at pittodrie? Wont have too many joining in. If our songs had more unique/local relevance,or had a bit more clever wit about them,we might get more folks joining in.How you find/introduce new songs is another matter....

I find the ultra's groups a bit irritating at times if I'm honest.  They have their moments with displays etc but their holier than thou at least we're trying to create atmosphere something you should aspire to oik attitude rubs me up the wrong way.  Ultimately I'm just not a fan of manufactured 'atmosphere', if a game is turgid, it's fucking turgid and 200 people trying to make a song and dance about said turgidness comes across to me as weird, desperate and pathetic.  Good atmospheres are created by the events on the pitch and that's a state of affairs that is never going to change. Not only that it's incredibly rare to get a game where it is bouncing all the way through.  Football matches have high's and lows and the crowd turning a bit quiet is not a bad thing, it's just part of the game. 

This ^^^

I've been going to Dons games for a long time and I didn't need ultras in any of the decades from the 70s onwards to make an "atmosphere" for me, if it was a good/great/fantastic game I'd be singing and cheering with the best of them, if t'was shite (an end of season 0-5 v Hearts springs to mind with Warner(?) in goal and Whyte in defence(?)) then I didn't want any of yer ultra's pish.

The displays are usually very good, but beyond that, meh.

The ultras thing works if every single person is 'on-board' with it.

I personally do not fall into that camp which is why after a few occasions I tended to avoid being in the same stand as the displays if possible. That way I had no bearing on them and reduced the chance of any conflict etc.

I still think the all seater stadium is the main atmosphere killer as the most atmospheric Dons games I've been to have been when everyone has stood the entire match. Raith Rovers in the cup back in the Dingus era sticks in my mind for the sheer anger that rippled through the stand.

In my experience the only true 'Standing' Stands in the league are 'the Shed, Parkhead Away End, and the Roseburn (unless the full stand has been allocated).

Everywhere else either has over zealous stewards/ cops or you find the person behind you insists on sitting resulting in arguments. The latter happens all too often at Pittodrie and stupidly it happens in the South Stand which actually requires you to stand up if you want to see most of the pitch. (Typical of a cheap conversion of a former terrace). I recall a fight almost breaking out in a sparsely occupied RDU when an elderly gentleman started on a couple of teenagers who were stood up infront of him. There were hundreds of empty seats around but neither party was prepared to move and the stewards/ cops ended up having to get involved.

At the QOTS Hampden semi, the Glasgow Reds got into an argument with the Families sat behind us because we did a short 'flag surf' for the teams coming out. The argument continued when the entire North stand remained standing and 2 of the mothers demanded we sit down because they & their kids couldn't see, completely oblivious to the fact that even if we did sit down the row in front would also block their view. As I recall the argument only stopped when QOTS scored their 2nd and the atmosphere in the stand began turning ugly (I think one of us may have said something not very gentlemanly).

A 'family' atmosphere is not a 'football' atmosphere and personally I think those families should have had more sense than to buy tickets in the North Stand. If you have small kids and there is a family section then that's where you should go etc etc.

Sitting down is for relaxing, quiet contemplation, or for all too many people, working. Standing tends to mean you are alert (takes longer to develop frostbite/ hypothermia), more open to interaction/ conversation and/or a bit of a sing song. Standing also allows you to move to get a better view or away from 'undesirables'

Same for concerts. If I find out a gig is all seated it has to be someone quite special to me to buy tickets.

It's a shame what happened to Red Ultras.

However, it's totally unsurprising given the club wants nothing whatsoever to do with creating any sense of atmosphere at Pittodrie and majority of fans whose interest is to turn up sit down and pick their nose during the game and throw half eaten pies onto the pitch.

I do wonder what would have happened had they just moved the family section to the RDL and let everyone else buy for the Merkland, and what that stand would have been like.

The "compromise", handing over one section to one specific, and numerically an unpopular, group, and sticking a big tarpaulin flag between them and the rest of the stand, was always doomed to failure and I think the club knew this but actually wanted to kill off the singing section idea. They did the same at the cup final too.

I suppose a singing section will naturally progress in the new stadium when they have a standing section. Hopefully it's not just a small corner and is actually a whole stand.

Tin hat on. 

I never had any issue with the Ultras and applauded the effort they went to try and encourage an atmosphere.  Why be happy with a shit game being shit, sat in silence, have a bit of noise, players and management have always said that a bit of noise will give them a wee lift.  I've always thought we must have one of the most miserable supports out there, never happy unless they're moaning.  Even when it's a big game some guys will always moan about folk standing / singing.  The way the Red ultras went about it may not have been conducive to encouraging more to join in, but the club have had a big part to play in all of this.

Personally I think it's a shame.  I really hope a singing section is found whenever Kingsford allows the stadium to exist.

I do wonder what would have happened had they just moved the family section to the RDL and let everyone else buy for the Merkland, and what that stand would have been like.

The "compromise", handing over one section to one specific, and numerically an unpopular, group, and sticking a big tarpaulin flag between them and the rest of the stand, was always doomed to failure and I think the club knew this but actually wanted to kill off the singing section idea. They did the same at the cup final too.

I suppose a singing section will naturally progress in the new stadium when they have a standing section. Hopefully it's not just a small corner and is actually a whole stand.

Well the club have an agenda to kill off atmosphere at Pittodrie. That strategy is part of the selling the Kingsford idea.

What they havn't told you is that the standing section at Kingsford is a pack of lies - it will not happen.  Oh, and they have never mentioned either that it will be £32 to get in (plus the £1 booking fee).

Well the club have an agenda to kill off atmosphere at Pittodrie. That strategy is part of the selling the Kingsford idea.

What they havn't told you is that the standing section at Kingsford is a pack of lies - it will not happen.  Oh, and they have never mentioned either that it will be £32 to get in (plus the £1 booking fee).

You have no evidence for any of the above, have you?

You have no evidence for any of the above, have you?

Thanks for your interjection Sherlock.

The names have been changed to protect the innocent.

If you look at the 'plans' for this Kingsford thing you will see - no standing section. THAT is the bloody evidence.

And if you think that the cost of entry is going to go DOWN in the eventuality of a Kingsford move (which will be killed off in October anyway) then you are sadly mistaken.

If you look at the 'plans' for this Kingsford thing you will see - no standing section. THAT is the bloody evidence.

Not it isn't.

And if you think that the cost of entry is going to go DOWN in the eventuality of a Kingsford move (which will be killed off in October anyway) then you are sadly mistaken.

Nobody is making that argument.

Tin hat on. 

I never had any issue with the Ultras and applauded the effort they went to try and encourage an atmosphere.  Why be happy with a shit game being shit, sat in silence, have a bit of noise, players and management have always said that a bit of noise will give them a wee lift.  I've always thought we must have one of the most miserable supports out there, never happy unless they're moaning.  Even when it's a big game some guys will always moan about folk standing / singing.  The way the Red ultras went about it may not have been conducive to encouraging more to join in, but the club have had a big part to play in all of this.

Personally I think it's a shame.  I really hope a singing section is found whenever Kingsford allows the stadium to exist.

Couldn't agree more manc.

Pittodrie is like a morgue.

I would like to add more to this but I will and would get pelters! And to be fair i cant get to games so much now!

It will cost more for fans to get into the stadia in any eventuality of Kingsford. Prices go up not down. It will also cost more to get to it via travel and the food inside will cost more and the hotels in Kingswells/Westhill charge more for coffee/beer etc than the Pittodrie Bar/Golf club does.

There is a very long track record of negative issues over a number of years as regards the bad attitudes within the club towards the red ultras group. I'm not the one to comment on this as was never a member but I know what went on.

There is no Red Ultras group anymore.  The fact that it is dead inside the stadium speaks for itself.  God knows what McInnes makes of it all - it does absolutely nothing whatsoever for the team or players.

The other night the FOX IN THE BOX flag was ordered to be removed by one of the directors. It was in Y Section front.  They are simply suited idiots - not interested in creating any sort of anything inside the stadium only making money.

This is more or less what I've said everytime this question comes up.. The Red Ultras are great in theory. But reality is different. Don't get me wrong about the displays. There have been some tremendous displays and I tip my cap to those responsible.

But I don't think the RUs actually want to be a part of the majority. They like being the minority that makes noise and looks down on other fans. I'm no fan of sitting in a deathly quiet stadium. I much prefer to be standing and to be involved with the game but it's not something I can fake. The players have to get us excited about the game when the sheer occasion doesn't already (Huns for example).

I've also had pretty shocking abuse from certain members of the group when politely asking them to suspend their display whilst the game was in play. Luckily on that occasion at Rugby Park there were other seats free to move to otherwise I just wouldn't have seen the game. (Can't remember if that was a good thing or a bad thing that day - can't remember what the score was.) Under no fucking circumstances should Aberdeen fans abuse each other in any way in a stadium. Fans should stick together. I'm happy to engage opposition supporters in some hearty banter and some slight ribbing but fans of the same team should stick together. All too often this doesn't happen. I dare say this specifically an AFC thing (although I'd be willing to bet it's worse with us than it is for others.)

The last such incident that I can recall was the final home game of last season. Some absolutely disgraceful behaviour some a pensioner seated in the row behind us. We were 3-0 down sharpish to the Tims as you'll remember. Cue this old prick behind us taking his frustrations out on those around him. As Tom correctly pointed out you cannot see the whole pitch in the South Stand without standing up. Most of the rest of the stand was stood up too but this bell-end behind us decided that it was our fault that he was having to stand up to see and proceeded to smack my mate in the back with his walking stick. I don't give a shit how old you are - that is not acceptable and I told him so. He then tried to tell us that if we sit down those in front of us will sit down too. Nae sure how that works, pal. It works the other way round if it works at all. All the result of a man not emotionally mature enough to deal with his team getting a hiding. All too common in sports. I was disgusted to hear of a fan getting his nose broken by some fucking neanderthal after we got beat 2-1 by Dundee United at Hampden a few years back. I'd ban these cunts for life.

A typical Aberdonian response to anyone enjoying themselves is to try to ban it.

"Should'nae be allowed"

As with most things, there are two sides to the Ultra's problem.

Folk would write in and complain, aye about shite.

"I heard somebody swearing, it ruined our day"

"People were waving flags and we couldn't see the teams coming out"

That was the official sort of complaints the club would get.

Of course there's also just your average fan who wouldn't write in to complain but moans incessantly at anyone trying to do anything different from the way they do it.

Any Ultra's group is going to be inspired by the European scene so inevitably a few Italian type songs get thrown in.

Why this upsets anyone, god only knows.

Stand Free is fine but today's repertoire is dreadful compared to the seventies, we can't even get the football version of  The Northern Lights correct.

Of course things shouldn't need to be organised but with allocated seating it's the only way.

Having now retired to the main stand and my knees not being what they once were I am happy to sit throughout a game.

Good to see youngsters enjoying themselves though, and remember that the Ultra's were there to support their team not get into fights with other Ultra groups.

As I enter Auld Mannie status, I would say I would much rather head home after the game with the songs ringing in my ears rather than having just sat and watched a game and had a few sweeties.

Thanks for your interjection Sherlock.

The names have been changed to protect the innocent.

No need to turn another thread into a discussion about Kingsford, but the club have already explained that to include safe standing in the plans now would mean applying for a licence to do so, and there's no point in doing that since for now the application is for permission to build.

Safe standing will be introduced. There's not a single reason why the club wouldn't and its one of the things they've been keen to say they will be doing.

I think there's often a misconception that Aberdonians wouldn't accept an ultra group. I don't think that's the case, I think it was more they found it hard to accept that ultras group. They liked the flag displays but not much else.

You look at Hibs for example. There is a perfect example of a successful, Scottish ultra group. The Hibs fans are all on board with what they're doing. A Hearts supporting mate admitted he was secretly jealous that at both Edinburgh denies last season they were completely outsung by Hibs. That's the difference between a support with an enthusiastic  group adding new songs and getting everyone going, and one without.

People talk about "in my day we didn't need a singing section, we went to the pub, mates stood together at the game, etc." Problem is, these fans are older now, and either go less, go with their kids, or maybe just can't be arsed singing anymore.

Therefore it's the younger fans you look to. The guys behind the flag display at the cup final, they're older and I think that's their motivation, I don't think they've much appetite for a singing section.

For me the solution is the club change their attitude, get the guys behind the section together, say "look, Merkland hasn't worked, the south stand and RDL are too heavily populated, the RDU is near enough empty though - lets work together and try some ideas." I always believed the Ultras should never have left the RDU and that they would lose numbers by moving to Section Y and the corner of the Merkland. I get the "it's miles from the pitch" but people act like it's impossible to hear anything. The Milan Ultras seem to do alright away up in the top tiers of the San Siro.

If the new Aberdeen SLO and the guys behind the section haven't already met up then that's very poor.

The new SLO is a long serving member of the ticket office, customer service team. She is a very nice lady - though it's a sham appointment that is indicative of the club and its attitudes.

While hundreds were outside the Merkland stand not able to get in due to a ticket muck up, the SLO was on the pitchside with the match mascot with a fluffy Angus the bull in her hand. Not sorting out issues, not coming to help.

As for DST - Dons Supporters Together.  Great intentions, some great people I am sure but there are about as much use as a chocolate teapot.  They have zero influence, are useless and have no ability whatsoever as a fans group to change attitudes within the club.

Naturally, there is the issue with the culture within Pittodrie both in the marble halls of Pittodrie and within the fans in stands on match day.  Years of unprogressive attitudes from the top have created a sense of apathy on the terraces amongst the support.

All over the world, there are singing/standing areas for fans.  Celtic have one and are the only one in the UK progressive enough to make it work.

I would say the support inside Pittodrie is appalling and embarrassingly poor. There an obsession with numbers but numbers mean something to the Accountants but nothing to the team when you have 12-14 Siroki Brijeg fans having more fun than 16k+ dons fans.

The guy sitting next to me v Siroki never even got up to clap the goal from Aberdeen. Just sat with arms folded whole game wearing a Dons shirt eating pies.

What is the solution to all this.  I am not sure there is one.  Red Ultras were hounded out but a combination of club vengefulness, narrow mindedness and nastiness. The fans didnt like them as they were perceived to be 'casuals' or 'too noisy' or 'arrogant' or 'seperate'.

Every single effort at a singing section with Pittodrie over the last 5 years has been half arsed tokenism by the club. Stewards have treated those in them like Myra Hindlay and Ian Brady.

Whatever, fans or club there is no doubt the club has a problem which it needs to address.  It is a problem as there is none, zero atmospheres within Pittodrie.  It is a miserable place with no passion, no enthusiasm, no intensity and this fundamentally lets down the team on the pitch at crucial times when they need that little extra.

What will Siroki have on Thursday? That is right, a signing section with a couple of hundred fans. Chanting the whole game.

And what do our club do to those spending hard earned money travelling to Bosnia? Thats right the warn them via the club website not too 1: Chant anything bad to players on the pitch.

O.O.T - that stands for OUT OF TOUCH.

As someone who canna get to Pittodrie much these days I don't know what it's like anymore, but I do remember the crowd getting behind the team when performances encouraged them (good and bad). I'm sure I remember a game against Killi (I think) in 95(?) when we were on the verge of relegation, we didn't win but the crowd were marvelous. What I'm trying to say is given the right situation the crowd will respond.

Standing areas? Good idea, in fact great idea IMO. I'd be in there for sure (at least until I'm as decrepit ad DD). Whether it's at Kingsford or elsewhere. (I do believe that 100% anti-anything-dons has got his high-horse and fun-book-of-no back out again, oh goodie! MIN)

None of that addresses the Ultras issue I know, which is really my position. I don't know if they're good, bad or insignificant to the club. "Forced" fun never works IMHO, it needs to be spontaneous!