Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Dave Cormack

9 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

I didn't get the hatred for Milne either, however Kingsford stadium was the most I'll considered nonsense ever suggested, which would likely have seen the end of the club in my opinion. It was the mark of a guy who had probably had enough and just wanted to put something on the table that had a possibility of being built. The fact that so many were in support was staggering. Cormack has immediately canned that idea, which he obviously felt he had to go along with when just an ordinary board member for some weird reason. 

What is more apparent from Milne's time in charge is that it really isn't an easy job and you're going to make lots of mistakes on the way. Cormack will be no different and I think we'll have to wait a good 5-10 years in order to form a worthwhile opinion. I think we should still criticise where it's due but he does appear to be trying stuff and his intentions seem good (just as they were in Milne's case I believe).

Think thats a fair assesment. Ive found the speed which some of us have decided to resent Cormack a bit embarassing TBH.Over dwelling on the smaller issues,while turning a blind eye to the efforts he's putting in elsewhere.

Nobody wants or wanted to run AFC.Milne couldnt wait to get out.Cormacks as good as we could have hoped for.An actual Dons fan,with a bit of money and a will to do something with the club.You could argue having been away so long,he's maybe become a bit Americanised and tried to implement similar traits over here.Just needs a period of readjusting to N/E misery and he'll be good to go 👍

Edited by Elgindon
  • Like 1

I didn't get the hatred for Milne either, however Kingsford stadium was the most I'll considered nonsense ever suggested, which would likely have seen the end of the club in my opinion. It was the mark of a guy who had probably had enough and just wanted to put something on the table that had a possibility of being built. The fact that so many were in support was staggering. Cormack has immediately canned that idea, which he obviously felt he had to go along with when just an ordinary board member for some weird reason. 

I think that's unfair on Milne and overly generous to Cormack.

I'm fairly sure Milne, if offered the beach and link-up with ACC, would have been just as open to it as Cormack.

Likewise, without the beach, there wasn't many, if any, options on the table for Milne. I didn't hear Cormack coming up with any other alternatives to Kingsford before ACC announced the beach proposal.

And if Cormack has canned Kingsford, then what's his plan B should a business case conclude the beach isn't realistic?

his intentions seem good .

If he builds a 16,000 capacity stadium so he can put the prices up as soon as he believes it'll be a sell-out (like he did with Breidabkik) then he'll be nothing but pure evil.

40 minutes ago, Panda said:

I think that's unfair on Milne and overly generous to Cormack.

I'm fairly sure Milne, if offered the beach and link-up with ACC, would have been just as open to it as Cormack.

Likewise, without the beach, there wasn't many, if any, options on the table for Milne. I didn't hear Cormack coming up with any other alternatives to Kingsford before ACC announced the beach proposal.

And if Cormack has canned Kingsford, then what's his plan B should a business case conclude the beach isn't realistic?

Kingsford was and is wrong in its entirety. It's illiterate. It would have ruined the club. I believe it was a case of anywhere we can for Milne, so focused he was on the move at all costs. The best option was simply to wait. I don't think that Cormack would have been that desperate to move to put forward such a reckless suggestion as Kingsford. Milne's an identikit housing estate builder. Buildings in the middle of nowhere, unintegrated and without thought to their function or surroundings. Cormack very much hinted at Kingsford not going ahead not long after he became chairman (before the beach suggestion), I don't believe he was ever fully behind it. The plan B would have been to stay at pittodrie until other options presented themselves. A far, far better option than moving out of Aberdeen because you've convinced yourself that there's some sort of ticking stadium time bomb.

54 minutes ago, Panda said:

If he builds a 16,000 capacity stadium so he can put the prices up as soon as he believes it'll be a sell-out (like he did with Breidabkik) then he'll be nothing but pure evil.

Yep, that was fucking atrocious. However, it did directly benefit the club. I doubt he's taking a share of profit on that move. The capacity conundrum is a really difficult one. I don't see us ever getting a 20K stadium filled regularly, and I completely see the logic in reducing capacity to create scarcity. 18k would sit nicely with me, but I have absolutely no justification for that figure other than it sounds about right. I never miss a big game at pittodrie anyway because I'm basically the best fan ever.

The option of the beach never existed during Milne’s time. That option exists now because the oil patch has gone to shit and Aberdeen is on its knees. The hotel that was there is shut and the council now want to try to help AFC help at the same time helping the city. 
Cormack, like Milne did at the time, is working with the options open to him 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sheepheid said:

Cormack, like Milne did at the time, is working with the options open to him

That's not correct. The option to not move and wait for something better was (and still is if required) always on the table. If the beach hadn't raised its head, I'm fairly certain Cormack wouldn't be moving us to Westhill, he'd have cancelled the project (probably citing cashflow or whatever easy excuse). Milne was so heavily invested in moving (quite literally, given his preference shares) that he couldn't be objective on Kingsford. He'd literally have moved us anywhere. Milne wasn't working with the options available at all, just one of them.

Unless I’m getting my timelines mixed up, Milne also had the opportunity to buy up the land behind the Merkland and South Stands so we didn’t need to be in this pickle in the first place. An incredibly stupid business decision by whoever it was calling the shots (assuming there wasn’t an inherent desire to tear us away from Pittodrie). Even if the chances were minimal that we’d build on the land, it would still be an appreciating asset that could easily be sold again later if we truly didn’t need it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slim said:

Unless I’m getting my timelines mixed up, Milne also had the opportunity to buy up the land behind the Merkland and South Stands so we didn’t need to be in this pickle in the first place. An incredibly stupid business decision by whoever it was calling the shots (assuming there wasn’t an inherent desire to tear us away from Pittodrie). Even if the chances were minimal that we’d build on the land, it would still be an appreciating asset that could easily be sold again later if we truly didn’t need it.

I have a feeling that was pre Milne. I think there might have been some council shenanigans over the sale of that land too, but can't remember. That said, Milne was discussing bellfield way before anything was built around much of pittodrie, so if we'd acted on pittodrie at that point, we could have gained planning permission prior to any housing development. The housing plans would then have had to be adjusted in consideration of that. That said, the nail was firmly in the pittodrie coffin the minute the RDS was built without thought to the rest of the ground.

Whatever else you want to say about Cormack he's brought a lot of investment into the club.  There was a good here we go podcast where they had former director Hugh Little on https://afcherewego.podbean.com/e/tropical-iceland/

I could have listened to him all day but 2 things in particular caught my ear.  Firstly he reckons cormack and his American chums are into Aberdeen to the tune of over 20 million, secondly funso ojo is in the top wage bracket (better part of 5k a year) which is bonkers.

20 million investment in a Scottish club that isn't the ugly sisters is virtually unheard of in our league.  The only comparisons are bonettis dundee and Romanovs  hearts but clearly we are not spunking it unsustainable.  

• 1 year later...

Cormack has broken cover on Twitter after months of silence on the current shitfest. 

Interestingly this was posted about 5 minutes after Willie Miller called him out about his silence on the radio. 

3 hours ago, Jute said:

Interestingly this was posted about 5 minutes after Willie Miller called him out about his silence on the radio. 

And was followed by Willie Miller saying he didn't want to hear from Dave Cormack, he wanted to hear from Neil Warnock..

12 minutes ago, Panda said:

And was followed by Willie Miller saying he didn't want to hear from Dave Cormack, he wanted to hear from Neil Warnock..

Was that not Willie having a dig at Warnock’s press conferences telling you nothing rather than saying he didn’t want to hear from Cormack.

29 minutes ago, Jute said:

Was that not Willie having a dig at Warnock’s press conferences telling you nothing rather than saying he didn’t want to hear from Cormack.

No.

17 hours ago, Panda said:

No.

Disappointed the BBC have dropped the "(formerly known as Twitter)" bit, now every statement just looks like someone forgot to update the placeholder in the draft copy with the correct reference.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, STFU_Donny said:

Any truth to the rumour that this charlatan is on holiday while our club is on its knees and staring down the face of relegation without a manager? 

Who cares? He's not obligated to be at the club full time, and if he's farmed out his duties in picking the next manager, then that's a good sign. 

37 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Who cares? He's not obligated to be at the club full time, and if he's farmed out his duties in picking the next manager, then that's a good sign. 

He’ll have final say. I would’ve thought he would be interested in interviewing the prospective candidates. 

Maybe he’s getting bored with his vanity project.

Pretty shell shocked with how things have gone this season. For the most part we’ve been shit all year and have been an awful team to watch, long ball piss all season more or less. Now we’ve totally fallen apart and I fear this terribly structured squad and team are totally inadequate.

i really want to like Dave, and do. As a Scot in America as well I feel I somewhat relate to Dave. He wants his beloved dons to succeed, has the funds and connections to finance our club, and has the yank influence of what sport/entertainment ownership should look like.

couldn’t understand why glass was hired, but he tried to implement a possession style of football. Thought we were becoming the Scottish arsenal but Robson certainly totally killed that. The warnock fiasco is exactly that, what the fuck. I was willing to give the old head a chance, we were in somewhat ‘safe’ hands with his experience, but wholly fuck what a farce. He was clearly clueless of the team, players, club, and pretty much the league. His month did major damage, potentially the first couple of nails in our coffin. I fear these players don’t have the stones for this.

All of this leads back to Dave. Surely he has to hire a technical director before a head coach/manager? That makes sense to me. I supported this review and accept the results, but if structural change is the solution, the major players have to be installed first, have the whole structure implemented, then finally hire the manager so that the structure is fully aligned. I just don’t trust we’ll do that. Dave just doesn’t fill me with confidence that we’ll get it right. I hope we do!

Edited by OrlandoDon
  • Like 2

I’ll also add this technical director has to be a football guy, ideally ex player ex manager ex technical somewhere else etc, some sort of combo there. Our leadership reaks of inexperience based on what we’ve seen on team matters in the last 4 years. From the inexperience of our managers, poor recruitment and signings, inexcusable squad construction, unacceptable transfer windows (the last being the worst when we knew we’d problems), all the way to Dave and him never from what I underserved having any sort of management role in soccer, we need experience at the top.

Maybe zidane as technical director, deschamps as manager?