Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Dave Cormack

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
2 minutes ago, Jute said:

Interview with Graham Hunter today. Contradicts a few of things he Saint in his radio rant. Glass was now apparently 3rd choice as manager. 

I haven't listened yet but I don't remember him saying that Glass was first choice, just that he was the best candidate interviewed. I could be wrong.

1 minute ago, RicoS321 said:

I haven't listened yet but I don't remember him saying that Glass was first choice, just that he was the best candidate interviewed. I could be wrong.

Surely best candidate interviewed would be your first choice?

7 minutes ago, Jute said:

Surely best candidate interviewed would be your first choice?

No. It's very possible that the preferred candidates didn't want to come to the Dons (he did say that Glass was one of the ones happy with the change in recruitment strategy).

Cormack said one of the "top candidates" they talked with was offered a role at a club in England in the middle of the interview.

He then said "another group", at which point he kinda stuttered as if he realised he was saying something he shouldn't, before mumbling they pulled out due to other reasons.

The Cowley brothers were rumoured to have been interviewed, or at least Darren was. Darren Cowley became Portsmouth manager four days before Glass was announced as Aberdeen boss.

I think he would have been a really interesting appointment. I'm guessing, if the above is true, he figured Portsmouth in League One was a more appealing prospect than Aberdeen, or he wasn't confident he was getting the Aberdeen job and Pompey wouldn't wait for an answer.

Not being an avid fan of League One I've no idea how he's doing other than they're 9th, 10 points off a top 6 spot (play-off). But to be fair there's a lot of big clubs above them in that league - Wigan (who are first) for example have Graeme Shinnie, Jamie McGrath, Jason Kerr and Jamie McLean who would all walk into our first XI. They also have the legend that is Josh Magennis.

Also, a quick Google check finds he has got the fourth highest win percentage of any Portsmouth manager and is "two transfer windows into a three transfer window plan".

What might have been...

5 hours ago, Panda said:

Cormack said one of the "top candidates" they talked with was offered a role at a club in England in the middle of the interview.

He then said "another group", at which point he kinda stuttered as if he realised he was saying something he shouldn't, before mumbling they pulled out due to other reasons.

The Cowley brothers were rumoured to have been interviewed, or at least Darren was. Darren Cowley became Portsmouth manager four days before Glass was announced as Aberdeen boss.

I think he would have been a really interesting appointment. I'm guessing, if the above is true, he figured Portsmouth in League One was a more appealing prospect than Aberdeen, or he wasn't confident he was getting the Aberdeen job and Pompey wouldn't wait for an answer.

Not being an avid fan of League One I've no idea how he's doing other than they're 9th, 10 points off a top 6 spot (play-off). But to be fair there's a lot of big clubs above them in that league - Wigan (who are first) for example have Graeme Shinnie, Jamie McGrath, Jason Kerr and Jamie McLean who would all walk into our first XI. They also have the legend that is Josh Magennis.

Also, a quick Google check finds he has got the fourth highest win percentage of any Portsmouth manager and is "two transfer windows into a three transfer window plan".

What might have been...

Portsmouth are 2 places down on where they were at this time last season but on same points total. Scoring 1 less but conceding 6 less. League 1 games I have been to this season have been of a decent standard and definitely better than previous years. No idea if any of that means Cowley would have been a good bad or indifferent appointment at Dons or if he is who Cormack is referring to. Would not have objected if we had appointed him though. 

Cormack is a clown.  Said before Milne left that you have to be careful what you wish for. I didn't get the hatred for Milne at all, he ran the club properly and the gripe I heard from most people was that he did not put enough money into the club, which was entirely his own prerogative.  Yes, he might have made a few bad decisions along the way which all chairman do but I genuinely believe he did what he thought was in the best interests of the club.

Now we have an owner who is more interested in courting his own PR that getting on with the day job.  He seems to be more concerned with how many good comments he can get on twitter than anything else. There are press leaks all over the place and he has set the club back several years with the stupid way he got rid of McInnes.  Nothing that has followed since makes me think next season will be any better.

Yeah this whole “actually it’s not my fault, I didn’t really want to hire him anyway, big boys did it and ran away” shtick is embarrassing.

As is the whole realisation that he’s responsible for the delivery of a new stadium and is putting all of his eggs into the basket of the usual local council pre-election pie-in-the-sky promises and trying to distance himself completely from Kingsford which I’m sure he had a massive say in from the very start. He’s going to look an even bigger cock if the party promising the new stadium/pier loses the election and/or it turns out the location proposed with a smaller footprint than our current stadium is not feasible from an engineering point of view (e.g. cost of groundworks).

He’s basically David Brent with better teeth.

Who’s actually running the club on a day to day basis these days anyway since they got rid of Duncan Fraser? Rob Wicks? Or is he just on the commercial side of things?

1 hour ago, Slim said:

He’s going to look an even bigger cock if the party promising the new stadium/pier loses the election and/or it turns out the location proposed with a smaller footprint than our current stadium is not feasible from an engineering point of view (e.g. cost of groundworks).

Firstly, everyone appears to be proposing a stadium in the city centre except the Lib Dems, so as long as they don't win plans for this will likely continue. And Aberdeen actually have the council in a good position now as they're all coming to the realisation moving the club out of the city centre makes no sense at all.

But you do make a good point about whether it's feasible. We were told for years it would cost an extra £6m to build there (perhaps factored into this extra £30m cost) and that the pitch would constantly suffer from drainage problems because it's too close to the sea. None of these things appear to be bothering anyone.

Is the Hilton hotel site a viable alternative site? Surely roads could be redirected to increase the footprint if needed.

2 hours ago, Panda said:

But you do make a good point about whether it's feasible. We were told for years it would cost an extra £6m to build there (perhaps factored into this extra £30m cost) and that the pitch would constantly suffer from drainage problems because it's too close to the sea. None of these things appear to be bothering anyone.

Previous schemes (unless I missed something) were for the around the Golf Road Driving range, which is pretty much at sea level (some sections might even be below it). I have my doubts if there is much of a sewer network once you get clear of Golf Road so adding a major development such as a football stadium is going to put a major strain on the network not withstanding the headache of building potentially below the established 'water table' - serious ground works required to make sure the soil around the site stays dry.
The Hilton site from memory appears to be above sea level so soil saturation shouldnt be as bad, plus it is adjacent to a fairly major urban road which serves residential and commercial businesses on both sides so there should be a more suitable sewer network to connect to.

3 hours ago, Panda said:

Is the Hilton hotel site a viable alternative site? Surely roads could be redirected to increase the footprint if needed.

If any established non-private roads need to be redirected to get a site to work, then a project is essentially a non-starter.
Relocating a private road can be fairly straight forward as it only affects the owners of the land which it is on.
Relocating a non-private road requires consultations with local residents, businesses, environmental health, the emergency services, Utility Companies, Community Councils before you even get a formal proposal together.
The higher the road classification, the more complicated and expensive it gets. I suspect the Beach Boulevard would be classed as an 'Arterial Road' which is the 2nd highest in the classifications.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Panda said:

What might have been...

Cowley would have been a really good appointment.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Cormack is a clown.  Said before Milne left that you have to be careful what you wish for. I didn't get the hatred for Milne at all, he ran the club properly and the gripe I heard from most people was that he did not put enough money into the club, which was entirely his own prerogative.  Yes, he might have made a few bad decisions along the way which all chairman do but I genuinely believe he did what he thought was in the best interests of the club.

Now we have an owner who is more interested in courting his own PR that getting on with the day job.  He seems to be more concerned with how many good comments he can get on twitter than anything else. There are press leaks all over the place and he has set the club back several years with the stupid way he got rid of McInnes.  Nothing that has followed since makes me think next season will be any better.

I didn't get the hatred for Milne either, however Kingsford stadium was the most I'll considered nonsense ever suggested, which would likely have seen the end of the club in my opinion. It was the mark of a guy who had probably had enough and just wanted to put something on the table that had a possibility of being built. The fact that so many were in support was staggering. Cormack has immediately canned that idea, which he obviously felt he had to go along with when just an ordinary board member for some weird reason. 

What is more apparent from Milne's time in charge is that it really isn't an easy job and you're going to make lots of mistakes on the way. Cormack will be no different and I think we'll have to wait a good 5-10 years in order to form a worthwhile opinion. I think we should still criticise where it's due but he does appear to be trying stuff and his intentions seem good (just as they were in Milne's case I believe).

• Like 1