Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The Hills and Outdoors thread

Elgindon

• 2 weeks later...

Finally made it out on the mountain bike after probably nearly a year and a bit. All the stars aligned which meant I could make it to Makara which is west of Wellington. Good gruelling 1hr long ride up and then a good few decent down hills. Didn’t fall off this time (hadn’t done this track for 4 years). second pic is looking north east towards Wellington harbour.

FA952CD2-D804-4CBF-89C2-267176CC0076.jpeg

759D73A0-3324-425F-980F-07EBC22BFE47.jpeg

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Elgindon said:

Nice.

Is that a gorse with the yellow flowers,first pic. I heard Scots introduced it over there as a cheap means of fencing livestock,but its since become a bit of a nightmare from spreading and the fire risk

Aye, still plenty of it about and can be a fire risk. Makara itself is part of a reserve, and they’re trying to be predator free to enable the reintroduction of the kiwi. Gorse is ok in certain situations like this as it helps the native planting growing then when they outgrow it, it dies off. Issue being that wild goats do like it so attracts them which ruins the landscape 😂

12 minutes ago, manc_don said:

Aye, still plenty of it about and can be a fire risk. Makara itself is part of a reserve, and they’re trying to be predator free to enable the reintroduction of the kiwi. Gorse is ok in certain situations like this as it helps the native planting growing then when they outgrow it, it dies off. Issue being that wild goats do like it so attracts them which ruins the landscape 😂

Is that the place where they're eradicating the rats? Maybe get them to head to Govan if successful.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Is that the place where they're eradicating the rats? Maybe get them to head to Govan if successful.

There are a few of them around NZ, but have seen some huns flying under the radar. Their car license plates are usually the give away 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just back from Achiltibuie.Cooler than usual around 14oC,(been up at 26oC in the past),but dry and midge free.

A bit of fishing below Cul Mor mountain

DSC07621-2.jpg

And an evening stroll up Stac Pollaidh.Very popular wee hill with great views.Hour up,hour down,but steep and a bit scrambly near the summit.https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/ullapool/stacpollaidh.shtml

DSC07677-2.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Just back from another few days on Lismore,but first time in summer.Whole island road network is cycleable in a day if fit,comfortably in 2.Very few cars on the roads.

Theres also a number of fine tracks as bottom pic,and the coast is walkable in many places,

Looking up Lismore coast(from Achinduin castle) on Loch Linnhe.Looks pretty walkable

DSC07902.jpg

Old track near Achinduin castle

DSC07915-3.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Family trip out to Sumner beach today, which is a nice part of Christchurch. Spent the long weekend down here from Wellington. Averaging 30 degrees for us here with a high of 34 😳 fortunately that day I was in the local office so airconditioned and my boys found a good shaded pool! Such a family friendly city, they really are making the most of having to reset after the earthquakes. Just wish it wasn’t such a car heavy city. Or full of cantabs 😂

IMG_3357.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Bike ride around the hills in martinbrough over Easter. 50Km ride with the father in law as he prepares to follow the giro d’Italia later this year.  Haven’t been out as much as I’d like to have been so far this year, life has a habit of getting in the way!  Anyway, stunning part of the world, and wellingtons closest wine region (excluding Marlborough as that’s over water).

IMG_4264.jpeg

• Like 2

Back on Lismore a couple of weekends ago. A couple of local lovelies,and looking across Loch Linnhe to Appin.Munro top left,Sgurr na Ulaidh I think.

Population only 160,and for some reason a comparatively high percentage of visitors are Yanks.

DSC08524.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/04/2024 at 18:22, manc_don said:

Bike ride around the hills in martinbrough over Easter. 50Km ride with the father in law as he prepares to follow the giro d’Italia later this year.  Haven’t been out as much as I’d like to have been so far this year, life has a habit of getting in the way!  Anyway, stunning part of the world, and wellingtons closest wine region (excluding Marlborough as that’s over water).

IMG_4264.jpeg

I enjoy watching the bike racing on the telly but the thought of standing next to some guy with a whistle and a big bedsheet and missing the bikes go by because I'm trying to open my bottle of Prosecco is not my idea of a holiday.   😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1