Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Shinnie

Not surprising although doesn't make it any easier to read. We'll miss his passion and drive, but I really hope dm breaks from form and actually signs a midfielder that is an actual midfielder. Providing we get the signing right, we won't miss him. If it's like previous years, he'll join the long list of players that were never replaced properly.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knew this would eventually happen but gutted anyhow.  :(

I would say that McKenna if he is still here next season, would be captain.

If he heads off, who would be given it?

Since he signed the extension, seems a groundswell of support for Lewis to get it. I've never been a fan of goalkeepers being captain, suppose if he has no fitness issues then Devlin would be the obvious candidate ( but given he has struggled to replace Consi in the team since returning to "fitness" in Feb coupled with our very public courting of Shaughnessy....I have grave concerns about his long term fitness). And of course on the other thread I mentioned about what DM said in his q+a the other night....one of the potential signings expected in next 2 weeks is "potential captain material"....of course Shug is St J captain (well was till he announced he was offski)

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

Not overly concerned by this at all.  Never been in the "Shinnie is great" camp at all.  A good leader but nothing special in terms of ability and brings very little to the party in an attacking sense.  Much more disappointed if GMS is going as he has the ability to win a game for us almost single handedly - his loss over the last few months has been very noticeable in terms of how blunt our attacking line has been at times.   

Dominic Ball is not everyone's cup of tea but (assuming he is signing) he should see this as a real opportunity to step up to the plate and become a big player for us instead of just a squad man.   

Not overly concerned by this at all.  Never been in the "Shinnie is great" camp at all.  A good leader but nothing special in terms of ability and brings very little to the party in an attacking sense.  Much more disappointed if GMS is going as he has the ability to win a game for us almost single handedly - his loss over the last few months has been very noticeable in terms of how blunt our attacking line has been at times.   

Dominic Ball is not everyone's cup of tea but (assuming he is signing) he should see this as a real opportunity to step up to the plate and become a big player for us instead of just a squad man. 

He showed against Celtic, albeit a pish result, he was okay in that CDM role, he tried to get involved as much as he could and had a far bigger influence than everyone's favourite, Lewis Ferguson.

I don't think he is good enough however, to be a regular 11 player, but would have zero issues with him staying as a squad player. Hard to believe he's only 23 as well, still learning the game, much like Ferguson I suppose, I just don't get the hype with Ferguson  : Barring his goals, that of course were important, he's largely anonymous over a 90 minute game, I genuinely can't think of a game that he's stood out in?

It's probably down to our current style of play though, we largely bypass the midfield, same reason that Cosgrove normally struggles up front alone, so maybe with a good pre-season and new approach to games, I will see what everyone else seems to see in young Fergie.

He showed against Celtic, albeit a pish result, he was okay in that CDM role, he tried to get involved as much as he could and had a far bigger influence than everyone's favourite, Lewis Ferguson.

I don't think he is good enough however, to be a regular 11 player, but would have zero issues with him staying as a squad player. Hard to believe he's only 23 as well, still learning the game, much like Ferguson I suppose, I just don't get the hype with Ferguson  : Barring his goals, that of course were important, he's largely anonymous over a 90 minute game, I genuinely can't think of a game that he's stood out in?

It's probably down to our current style of play though, we largely bypass the midfield, same reason that Cosgrove normally struggles up front alone, so maybe with a good pre-season and new approach to games, I will see what everyone else seems to see in young Fergie.

I thought Ball played very well against Celtic, but his biggest issue is being classed as a utility player, jack of all trades master of none.

I have to admit that Ferguson is not impressing me much, but I do believe he has just played too much football this season.

Really need someone to come in and improve the midfield and find a leader to replace Shinnie.

Shinnie is probably praying that Derby don't go up. 'Cos if they do his dream move will turn to shit when Derby spend their newfound wealth on a completely new starting 11 and Shinnie becomes a squad player at best.

I don't think he will be immediately punted out on loan. But definitely a possibility in January. And if Derby stay up... a near certainty next summer.

Plenty promoted teams don;t go an change out their whole squad.

I wonder if Derby will be the same.

Also plenty of players who have went down there, played well and fitted in.

Fraser, McLean, Armstrong and McArthur.

Plenty of “Premiership” players that he has competed with in the SPFL I.e Arfield, Barton, Mulumbo etc

It will be interesting to see how he gets on.

More to the point for us now. If derby do win that could likely make Max Lowe unlikely to feature for them. Might even get a chance to sign him.

Lets hope so

Max Lowe wants to help Aberdeen book their Europa League return this weekend - just in case the Derby County left-back returns to Pittodrie on loan again next season.

More to the point for us now. If derby do win that could likely make Max Lowe unlikely to feature for them. Might even get a chance to sign him.

I've been saying that for a while. If we can punt Cosgrove in the summer it would be easily financed. Just not sure Lowe would fancy committing himself for 3 years up here....but the question should at least be asked

I've been saying that for a while. If we can punt Cosgrove in the summer it would be easily financed. Just not sure Lowe would fancy committing himself for 3 years up here....but the question should at least be asked

So, we have struggled for goals this season and you would punt our main goal scorer to get the money for a left back?

So, we have struggled for goals this season and you would punt our main goal scorer to get the money for a left back?

Cosgrove doesn't score individual goal. He requires decent service. Lowe provides decent service. Cosgrove had a stellar 4 months. But utterly mince before and after. If we get a decent offer, in view of what we paid for him of course we absolutely cash in

Cosgrove doesn't score individual goal. He requires decent service. Lowe provides decent service. Cosgrove had a stellar 4 months. But utterly mince before and after. If we get a decent offer, in view of what we paid for him of course we absolutely cash in

I second the punting of Cosgrove if someone gives us half decent money for us. Don't see much difference between him and Stockley and would like to think we could find another player as good or better without breaking the bank. I think you're being nice saying he had 4 good months, was it that much??

I second the punting of Cosgrove if someone gives us half decent money for us. Don't see much difference between him and Stockley and would like to think we could find another player as good or better without breaking the bank. I think you're being nice saying he had 4 good months, was it that much??

Not suggesting Cosgrove is the new Van Basten but the difference between him and Stockley is about 16 goals a season.

It's a really simplistic view to think we can just pick up 20 goal a season strikers ten a penny, I doubt whether we have had more than half a dozen in the last 40 years.

If we can get another couple of good goal scoring seasons from him Cosgrove will make us a lot of money.

Not suggesting Cosgrove is the new Van Basten but the difference between him and Stockley is about 16 goals a season.

It's a really simplistic view to think we can just pick up 20 goal a season strikers ten a penny, I doubt whether we have had more than half a dozen in the last 40 years.

If we can get another couple of good goal scoring seasons from him Cosgrove will make us a lot of money.

Cosgrove’s 7 penalties out of that total and the gaps not that big. Big punt in hoping that we get two good seasons from Cosgrove when we only really got him scoring between December and February this season. I don’t think we will get an offer for Cosgrove this summer as he is yet to show he can score consistently and his failure in lower reaches of English pyramid is still to recent.

I dont get why everyone is soo keen to get rid of cosgrove. Ok, 7of his goals were penaltys but even still thats 13 goals this season. Think about how many forwards have we had over the last few seasons who have struggled to get more then 5. I dont know why everyone here seems to think its so easy to pick up someone who can score goals.

We've had 13 different players score 20+ goals since 1978/79.

Cosgrove (1), Rooney (4), McGinn (1), B Dodds (1), Shearer (2), Paatelainen (1), McDougall (2), Black (1), Stark (1), McGhee (2), Strachan (2), Archibald (1), and Harper (1).

That patch between 2012/2013 and 1996/1997...  :hammer:

I dont get why everyone is soo keen to get rid of cosgrove. Ok, 7of his goals were penaltys but even still thats 13 goals this season. Think about how many forwards have we had over the last few seasons who have struggled to get more then 5. I dont know why everyone here seems to think its so easy to pick up someone who can score goals.

I maintain that if Sam Cosgrove was a 22 year old from BoD who'd broken through our youth, people would give him a lot more leeway than he's getting now.

• 4 months later...

Clearly out the picture at derby despite their shit start to the season? Loan move in January? I do think we’d benefit from his leadership/passion/energy alone!

Not sure if you saw what happpened with Derby players the other night but he might be getting a chance soon. Team were out on a club function at a restaurant, most players went home at 8pm but a few went on to a pub. Around midnight, and totally pissed up...a couple decided to drive home, one with the club captain in the back seat. A mile down the road they both crashed?? (no explanation why but pics show a Range Rover concertina'd into a tree). Club captain knocked out and knee smashed to smithereens...out for the season. Both drivers arrested and suspended by the club pending an internal investigation.

If he can't get a game after that then his time there must be up. At the start of the season I thought our midfield had improved to the point that Shinnie wouldnt have gotten a game had he stayed. Now I pray we get him back on loan in January.

I'd drive him back up the road tomorrow, we miss his drive and determination in midfield, he was an excellent Captain also.

Maybe not the best player Derby have, but I bet if given a chance he wouldn't let them down, he has a tenacious streak to him which I think would work well in that league.