Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Shinnie

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of my non dons supporting mates pretty much blamed the loss on those two. Disappointing really

That is harsh. Although neither played well neither did anyone else other than maybe Bates and Armstrong in patches. McGregor, McGinn and Burke especially were poor and did not provide any cover for the defence at all which in part lead to all 3 goals.

That's one interpretation Jute and whilst there is zero doubt that the whole team created as good as nothing, there is no doubt that Shinnie and McKenna were guilty of amaterish, schoolboy errors.

Most worryingly, for anyone remaining who gives a shit, was how lacking in energy Scotland were. McLeish couldn't inspire a whatever in a whatever, colour and realism being banned these days.

The Celtic "quality" was remarkably shit tonight 

As bad as Shinnie and McKenna were.....the boy at right back was even worse.

Midfield were dreadful. Up front that guy McBurnie wouldnt have looked out of place in the Banff and Buchan U14 Boys Brigade reserve league.

McLeish looked ill.......really ill....in the post match interviews.

Every cloud has a silver lining, and at least this might reduce the number of aggravating "why do we play Shinnie out of position, he's really a left back" posts on Dons forums.  I'm sure given a run at left back he could re-establish himself as a decent one, but he's one of the best midfielders in the league and it's glaringly obvious that he's way more valuable there for us than he would be at left back.

Feel pretty gutted for Shinnie, I never got to see the game as I was working, but I have read the fall out since and he has been getting absolutely hammered from just about everyone, your usual suspects in fat Boyd and fat Charlie Adam etc... also former players from certain former clubs, everyone has been sticking the boot in.

Would have been nice to see someone coming out and sticking up for him, be it McLeish or some of his current Scotland Squad team mates! By all accounts, he admits himself he was abysmal, but he had 10 other team mates out there and as a whole, we were allegedly fucking horrendous, so harsh to single Shinnie out.

If I was McLeish, I'd start Shinnie again, against San Marino, but in Midfield where he has been playing at Club level and give him his confidence back, because as bad as we are, we will comfortably beat San Marino and that will be good for his confidence.

Although I've missed the aftermath, it doesn't surprise me if they're sticking the boot in. There's always been a resentment towards Aberdeen and the examples I gave recently were Boyd, McCoist and particularly Tam Cowan.

There was nothing to mitigate however. It was a surreally shit performance on Thursday, by the whole team and if you remember that home defeat v. Rangers when the speculation was that McInnes was going there, the abjectness of the performance was on that scale. It's weird how the world works. I have my own theory that McLeish has lost it, it being something he barely had in the first place and that the first game of the campaign will be a foreteller of the doomed to come. At least San Marino will be a guaranteed 3 points today but the cracks have been shown and they are too deep to paper over. This is all SFA karma building up over many decades.

Feel pretty gutted for Shinnie, I never got to see the game as I was working, but I have read the fall out since and he has been getting absolutely hammered from just about everyone, your usual suspects in fat Boyd and fat Charlie Adam etc... also former players from certain former clubs, everyone has been sticking the boot in.

Would have been nice to see someone coming out and sticking up for him, be it McLeish or some of his current Scotland Squad team mates! By all accounts, he admits himself he was abysmal, but he had 10 other team mates out there and as a whole, we were allegedly fucking horrendous, so harsh to single Shinnie out.

If I was McLeish, I'd start Shinnie again, against San Marino, but in Midfield where he has been playing at Club level and give him his confidence back, because as bad as we are, we will comfortably beat San Marino and that will be good for his confidence.

I cant see him getting a start today, unfortunately his performance on Thursday was shockingly bad and though I do believe the boy Palmer at right back was even worse, Shinnie was accountable for all 3 goals that Kazakhstan scored.

That said, those that played in midfield were really not that far behind him in overall shyteness. Not one of them deserves to keep their place and had Tierney or Robertson been fit to start on Tuesday and Shinnie hadn't been involved (save for maybe a bench appearance) then most certainly he would be in line for a place today. However he was and I doubt that given the very public "blame McLeish/Shinnie" campaign in the press and media that his head could possibly be in the right place for this one.

• 3 weeks later...

had a bit of time on my hands so did some research after Shinnie was photographed at Pride Park yesterday, Found 3 Derby fan boards, none of which are particularly busy. Only one had a thread on Shinnie…..with less than 10 comments. General consensus is they haven't  a clue who the hell he is or anything about what position he plays. Shows how much Gufflanders pay attention to Scottish football. Anyway as they don't know anything about him, they weren't particularly fussed as to whether he signs or not.

Following on from this, had a look to see if they had anything to say about Lowe. He got a (very) brief mention on 2 of their boards. Difficult to extrapolate their opinion on such little input but one did say "not good enough" and that he should be sold. There was a fair bit on 2 of his competitors for the left back spot. They bought Scott Malone last summer for almost £3million and opinion is divided. They seem to think he's better as a left midfielder than a left back ( their other LB Forsyth was the regular starting player until he did his knee in just before Xmas) and indeed Lampard went out and signed Ashley Cole to cover LB once they sent Lowe back to us after playing a couple of games where he was out of his depth by all accounts. They're unsure about Forsyth's future given his injury history (3rd time he's done his knee apparently) but in view of the money they paid, reckon they should stick with the boy Malone as first choice going forward ( Cole has been poor apparently). Maybe there might be a chance of getting Lowe in for a smallish (in English terms) fee long term then??

Derby apparently unable to sign Shinnie on a precontract as they are under a soft embargo on registering players. Not good news for us potentially getting Lowe for another year.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/aberdeen/graeme-shinnie-to-derby-rams-unable-to-sign-aberdeen-captain-on-pre-contract-1-4908607?fbclid=IwAR06hNTbf8HS6u3ajiw06mVtOKLzIptiBh3R-aNjTNZq7vKzz1BNsEFernc

Well we know that McGeouch is on £8k/week at Sunderland.....a far bigger club than Wigan but in a league below. They were forced to go to that level as his agent knew our offer was to make him the highest paid player at Pittodrie (£6k/week).

Walker's wage at Hearts wouldn't have been huge given their previous financial problems, hence why he was keen to leave. I suspect if Wigan gave him £4k/week it would have been a significant pay rise (at least £2k/week maybe a bit more) from what he earned at Tynecastle. At that kind of wage we could certainly compete with them. If he's on more than that ( I doubt it but there is a small chance) then he would really be in a very similar position to Stewart in that his club would be happy to free him to anyone but his wages would prove prohibitive to anyone that might be interested (SPFL or EFL1 clubs). We would no doubt just go for a year long loan if we were really interested......coughing up maybe a third of his contract. Of course if he did well it might interest other clubs but that's just the risk we would have to take.

Of course this is all purely hypothetical as there is no evidence at all that we, or anyone else, are even vaguely interested at this juncture  :dunno:

• 3 weeks later...

Derby in the play offs. I dinna think they'll get through them but if they somehow fluke it they'll be using their newfound wealth to buy virtually a whole new starting 11 as the squad they have at present is in no way capable of keeping them there.

Shinnie will do ok at them so long as they stay in the Championship but if they go up then I can see him being allowed to go out on loan as early as January

Kind of hoping we're due to announce a replacement given that it's been announced and confirmed now regarding Shinnie. Very unlike us to confirm this sort of news before the season ends ( McLean was a pre-contract and loaned back at least )

Personally find it a good move for Shinnie, could quite easily see him playing Premier League Football next season!

You just know McInnes is going to bypass a replacement though & comment something along the lines of " Stephen Gleeson has been patient and more than capable of filling that role " etc....etc...  :rofl:

As much as I want Gleeson to succeed, he's nowhere near the level ( Technical ability aside ) as Shinnie is.

Had his flaws,but we'll miss his drive,and also the local loon link with the fans.Midfield wasnt his natural position and hoping we can find a more complete replacement,as well as someone to compliment Ferguson,....though am struggling to think of names out there???

Good luck to him though,gave his all.

Even though I knew it was coming, it is still sad news to read.

Loved seeing Shinnie in the red shirt, always gave his all and has the heart of a Lion.

At the game on Saturday I was pining for Johnny Hayes to be back in the red jersey again. Have a feeling we will miss Shinnie as much as we miss Hayes and think we will struggle to replace him, we may get a better midfielder, but I doubt we will get someone with the drive and determination of Shinnie and good captains don't grow on trees.

Fuck I'm gonna miss him.  :(