Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Jimmy on Lovell who is taking balme for Saturday

Today's evening express.

Steve Lovell looks to have blown his hopes of securing a new contract with the Dons.

Striker Lovell was totally ineffective as the Dons crashed 3-0 to Dundee United at Tannadice in the SPL.

Manager Jimmy Calderwood last week warned Lovell, whose contract runs out in the summer, that he would need to raise his performance levels to get an extended deal.

But Calderwood was clearly unhappy with the display of the Englishman, who was signed from Dundee for £250,000, against United.

Lovell played as a lone striker in front of a five man midfield and Calderwood admitted his poor contribution was a major factor as United recorded a crushing victory.

Calderwood said: "They dominated because anytime we got the ball up front it was coming back at us within 10 seconds.

"It meant we never got the chance to break forward in support and were pinned in the whole game."

When asked if Lovell now has any chance of getting a new contract, Calderwood replied: "I will answer that once I've spoken to the player. Figure it out for yourself."

It's expected the Dons will now try and recoup some of the money they paid for Lovell by selling him this month.

When asked if the Dons have had any approaches for the striker, Calderwood said: "What do you think? If there had been any interest he probably wouldn't be here now."

Lovell will be replaced by Lee Miller, who was suspended for the United game, for tomorrow's Scottish Cup replay with Falkirk at Pittodrie.

Calderwood admitted it will need a much improved performance by everyone for the Dons to dump the Bairns.

"If we keep going on like we have everything we've worked so hard for will be gone within a month," he said.

"I'm not looking for a reaction tomorrow, I'm demanding one, just as our fans will be.

"If we don't get one then one thing you can be sure of is Falkirk will win.

"We should not be playing like that with the quality of players we have in our ranks.

"But it takes more than talent, victories are earned in lots of ways.

"Our biggest problem is the players aren't doing the things that got us into such a favourable position in the first place.

"Those are staying organised, passing well, playing with pace and showing vision when they have the ball.

"There's none of that there now and that's why we've struggled so badly since the Copenhagen game.

"I'm hoping one good victory will help to change all of that.

"But if it's to come in tomorrow's cup tie everyone is going to have to give themselves a right good shake."

Calderwood at least took comfort from the fact long term crocks Jackie McNamara and Darren Mackie appeared as substitutes at Tannadice.

Both start against the Bairns.

"I'm not keen on throwing them straight back into such an important game but I might be forced to," he said.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calderwood said: "They dominated because anytime we got the ball up front it was coming back at us within 10 seconds.

It's weird that, what with Lovell not being a target man. Perhaps, and this just a suggestion, the tactics may have contributed to things just a tad.

When asked if Lovell now has any chance of getting a new contract, Calderwood replied: "I will answer that once I've spoken to the player. Figure it out for yourself."

It's expected the Dons will now try and recoup some of the money they paid for Lovell by selling him this month.

When asked if the Dons have had any approaches for the striker, Calderwood said: "What do you think? If there had been any interest he probably wouldn't be here now."

That really is outstanding management there, isn't it? If anyone was interested why would they be now after those comments? And Lovell is clearly a guy who needs a hug and be told he's a good player rather than being criticised privately never mind publicly, so if we need to use him his confidence is going to be even lower than it has been recently.

Guest Shabba Ranks

I totally agree that, in this case, Jimmy should be dealing with this behind closed doors and not in the press.

However, is anyone else not slightly f*cked off with Lovell?  How many chances does he need...

This is utterly shocking treatment of Lovell, fair enough he didnt play well on saturday by any stretch of the imagination but a public slagging like that is simply unprofessional. 

This reeks of calderwood blaming anything but his own tactics here, blaming the whole match on the performance of one player who it is becoming clear - is not a calderwood favourite.

Lovell has shown (in flashes) what a player he is, but since its looking inevitable he will be off by the end of the month i'm fully expecting him to be replaced by dross of the dobie caliber -  depressing

I'm not wanting to spark another calderwood debate but he sure has gone down in my estimations these last few weeks

I wasn't at the match, but watching the highlights on the BBC site, some good work by Lovell put someone through on goal for what should've been a goal, and he used his strength well to get past a physically strong defender and win a penalty which should have been a goal.

Calderwood's comments there are a disgrace.

I'd be surprised if any of our team held the ball and passed to each other for more than 10 seconds.

Understandable if the ball is being fired at your head for the whole game and there's nobody near you.  Lovell was far from the worst on Saturday.

The 5 in midfield (5?...cough) should at least be managing to string a pass between them but sounded like they were trying to hold a hot potato.

This one-up-front tactic is shite.

Good on Calderwood!

These players are paid massive wages and just don't do it.

Fuck 'em! If the fans slag them off in the pub, the manager should slag them off in the press - it's not like the players will come to the pub for a dressing doon fae the fans - but at least these prima donna's might actually see a backpage headline once in a while (when they're looking up their weekly player ratings!).

Aye - all very well and good, but i don't think we'd ever hear of Calderwood coming out and saying this about one of his "favourites".

Lovell from what i hear, is a very quiet guy who keeps himself to himself.  He probably is getting singled out for attention because he doesn't go balancing buckets of water over the changing room door on a daily basis. ::)

And yes, one up front is a farce.

That aside, these things should be done behind closed doors anyway.

Guest Shabba Ranks

I'd be surprised if any of our team held the ball and passed to each other for more than 10 seconds.

I counted 3 seconds on a few occasions...

but then Langfield would throw it up and kick it high in the air and it went to nobody.  ;)

Lovell from what i hear, is a very quiet guy who keeps himself to himself.  He probably is getting singled out for attention because he doesn't go balancing buckets of water over the changing room door on a daily basis. ::)

That reminds me, didn't Calderwood slag him off a few weeks ago and call him a bit odd because he was quiet in the dressing room and didn't go out on the piss to Blu Bar with Diamond and co?

I feel a bit sorry for the guy, whenever he's talked to the press, he's always tried to talk up the club and his relationship with the fans even though he probably doesn't want to be here, regardless what you think of him as a player, he certainly doesn't deserve to be treated like this.

And if I was a footballer reading that article, there's no way in hell I'd want to play for a manager like that.

I totally agree that, in this case, Jimmy should be dealing with this behind closed doors and not in the press.

However, is anyone else not slightly f*cked off with Lovell?  How many chances does he need...

I would be if he not had won a penalty (that was missed by one of JCs favourites) put through a decent pass for the same player to miss a decent chance and also forced the United keeper into a decent save in the first all whilst having to work off no service what so ever from a midfield and defence that were clearly instructed to punt the ball at his head whilst playing against to massive centre halfs. Lovell was one of the few who would have got pass marks yesterday but as I have said elsewhere JC has to blame Lovell as it either that or take the blame himself for making the wrong tactical choices which is something he will never do.  

Guest Shabba Ranks

That reminds me, didn't Calderwood slag him off a few weeks ago and call him a bit odd because he was quiet in the dressing room and didn't go out on the piss to Blu Bar with Diamond and co?

Where?!?

Guest Shabba Ranks

Blu Bar, just up from Paramount, assuming that's still where they hang about posing. Well I say posing, I mean struggling to stand up and leering at anything in a skirt.

Ah, Tonik

It's the pub where pedantic cunts from message boards hang out.

There's ten pints behind the bar waiting for you.

At least I can drink ten pints you tee-total nonce  :wave: