Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Calderwood coaching

Fair points Tradesman. I agree it is certainly pleasing to see us in the top half of the league, competing in all competitions and, having been a die hard dons fan for almsot 30 yrs, I've certainly seen the highs and lows. I've also been involved in professional coaching for the last 12 yrs and simply feel we have the skill and talent to do better at present. Yes, you can argue we're 4th in the league but we're not far of 8th. A little more consistency and quality and we could solidify 3rd against a very average league at present. I also think there is no reason we cannot compete with the old firm as they are average teams. We also should do well in the cups given the opposition is not as strong as the past due to financial limitations. I trully feel we are two or three signings away (and some decent tactical coaching) from being a good side. A new right or left back (Foster can play RB and I agree he has been good over the last year - I remember the dogs abuse he got and he has certainly come along), a commanding centre half to partner Zander or Considine, and a natural central midfielder to take hold of the middle or the park. Re-sign Barry and get the most out of Miller and Lovell (providing they re-sign) and we have a decent team. Surely we can spend some cash given the cup runs, the Anderson money, 200k for Clark etc. - we can still use some to reduce debt but investing in the squad in the current situation is neccessary.

Maybe it's too forward thinking to replace a manager when we are doing ok. He's done good things but pass it on to someone to do better. Certainly the new guy could do better or could do worse, that's the risk you take.  I still think we could do better, play better, be more consistent, and win. I do think we've gone as far as we can with JC but I will certainly be deligfhted if he proved me wrong!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are completely underestimating the football knowledge and experience of Calderwood, Nicholl and Clark. I can't remember the type of football Calderwood had his Dunfemline team playing but I remember Nicholl had Raith Rovers playing some decent stuff and Sandy Clark's St.Johnstone were ok for a while. I think Calderwood and co have decided that direct football is they way to go. I agree it's not nice to watch.

Maybe. I agree is it easy to criticize and judge from a distance and many coaches don't get the respect they deserve. However, having done the courses there are some complete numpties with licences who are clueless. The ex-pro tends to get preferential treatment in these courses and some very poor and uneducated 'coaches' get to coach pro teams. There is definitely the 'old school' coach and the newer progressive style of coaching like a Wenger, Mourinho etc... They are very forward thinking with advanced methodologies - there are plenty of these types around and I used to think JC with his background, his dutch coaching etc was one, but I really am surprised at the 'quality' he has us play. I used to think JC and JN were that way but now I fear they are just fun guys with a bit of personality who the players like to play for. However, we do have the players to play better and I think we have players with the technical ability suited to passing more. We see it sometimes, it would be nice to see it more often as I feel it would get us more positive results.

As far as I am aware Wenger, as a player, has an Lique 1 winners medal. He has always been in the game so of course it's who you know. I'm not sure about it but your point comes across as a bit of sour grapes.

I'd also add that Mourinho's teams were some of the most cynical I've ever watched. 

I'd think that as opposed to some football philosophy of always playing the ball on the deck, ad nauseum, that a mixture is better. Manchester United are the prime example of this. Arsenal are only now beginning to rediscover their verve now that they have Flamini in the middle to belt a few people and they certainly mix it up a bit more in terms of their directness. Watching them 2 years ago with 5 million square passes was just as uninspiring as a long ball team.

Furthermore, I still don't know how you can say JC is purely a motivator without inside knowledge of his methods. your last point about us getting better results wth different tactics is pure speculation.

Lastly I'd question your claim that we solely rely on the long ball. I just looked at our recent goals on RED TV and only 2 come from a direct long ball.

I'd think that as opposed to some football philosophy of always playing the ball on the deck, ad nauseum, that a mixture is better. Manchester United are the prime example of this. Arsenal are only now beginning to rediscover their verve now that they have Flamini in the middle to belt a few people and they certainly mix it up a bit more in terms of their directness. Watching them 2 years ago with 5 million square passes was just as uninspiring as a long ball team.

It's not about the long ball or the short ball, it's about playing the right ball.

Lastly I'd question your claim that we solely rely on the long ball. I just looked at our recent goals on RED TV and only 2 come from a direct long ball.

I'd add though that this proves the point that our long ball tactics aren't working when it comes to creating and scoring chances.  We played some really good stuff in the first half on Saturday but you just know that when the long punt is played up to Miller that there's only a 50/50 chance of somebody picking up his lay-off or being clever enough to know where he's going to put it.

As you say, it's all about a mix.  We did this first half on Saturday and hopefully with another option up front (as in Miller and another striker like Lovell/Mackie/Smith) we can build on that in future games rather than relying solely on our esteemed lone "target man" Miller.

No sour grapes, I just want us to play well and have success. British football is rather primitive hence the introduction of the foreign coaches with new ideas and foreign players who are better (obbviously not all as there are also plenty of foreign diddies we have seen in Scotland.)We are having a decent season so far (we're still in everything but I won't call it a good season until we see how far we go) but I think we can do better.

I didn't say we always played long ball, that was a response to another email. I don't think we play with any pattern of play but we do play quite a bit of long ball lumped up the park. When we keep the ball on the deck and pass we do well, I just want more of that.

Wenger's teams can over pass and Mourinho's teams can be cynical and borderline boring at times. Man. Utd. have a great blend of strength, flair etc. They are all progressive coaches and JC appears a little dated.

Agree, the future and another coach with a different style is speculation. As is keeping JC, only time will tell. Hiring Alex Ferguson after getting sacked from St Mirren was a ballsy and risky decision. As was firing Willie for being 2nd in all competitions. JC may win us the UEFA cup :-) but I still think a new approach with the playing staff we have could do better.

Fair enough on your opinion and the sour grapes thing was just a wee joke.

The thing is that I don't trust our current board to hire anyoner better, indeed history shows they can do much, much worse.

I also think that management, be it football or any other, has many many new techniques and everyone is looking for the new magical buzz word or cure. Believe me, I have the powerpoint scars to prove it. The latest seems to be prozone and the currentfascination with the holding midfielder.

Fair enough use these to enhance but (as you probably know) don't underestimate the strength of surrounding yourself with talented employees, who you reward, motivate and support. If that's old school then so be it, it still works.

It's not about the long ball or the short ball, it's about playing the right ball.

I'd add though that this proves the point that our long ball tactics aren't working when it comes to creating and scoring chances.  We played some really good stuff in the first half on Saturday but you just know that when the long punt is played up to Miller that there's only a 50/50 chance of somebody picking up his lay-off or being clever enough to know where he's going to put it.

As you say, it's all about a mix.  We did this first half on Saturday and hopefully with another option up front (as in Miller and another striker like Lovell/Mackie/Smith) we can build on that in future games rather than relying solely on our esteemed lone "target man" Miller.

We have played aimless, useless high floaty balls since long before Miller even appeared on our radar.

We just do it less often than we did, or possibly more accurately, when we do we make more use of them so they are less obvious.

I reckon the team and Miller have struggled without a regular recognised partner, the best of the bunch so far being Smith but Lovell looked to be going about his business the right way last week.

Guest Shabba Ranks

I think we can do better.

we could do better

I simply feel we have the talent in our squad to do better

I think we are simply missing an opportunity here to do better

I still think we could do better

we do have the players to do better

I still think a new approach with the playing staff we have could do better.

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

You don't half like repeating yourself.

Better?!?  We're still involved in every competition FFS  ;)

JC quote after the Dundee Utd game - "But too many good players are not performing anywhere near their capabilities for this club."

Why? There is only so many times before the yelling and the shouting crap gets blocked out. Since I am appreciated for repeating myself by stating the "could do better" remark, all I say is even Jimmy agrees!!!! Yes we could do worse, not much in terms of performance, but we should be doing so much better. We have the players as they have shown occasionally this year, why aren't they performing? He's gone as far as he can with AFC, if only the board had the stones to do something about it. Just because we are not bottom two or three doesn't mean we should be happy. Reaching semi finals shouldn't be considered an achievement for AFC and we have been very fortunate to go as far as we have in Europe with one win in six games. I don't get why people don't open their eyes???

I think its probably because this is the most stable and potentially the most successful the club has been in all my time as an Aberdeen fan (bear in mind I started mid 90s). Part of me does this he has taken us as far as he can, and there are a lot of things that he does which really question his sanity at times. However, as I said, we are no longer a laughing stock. I've always said judge him come the end of the season, as I feel this is the season that will make or break it for JC. Things change in football very quickly, so we'll just have to wait and see. I do question his motivational skills after games like this, but its more important how the club as a whole bounce back from this. A very important 10 days coming up in the club's calendar which will determine if this is a successful season or not.

Yeah, but if what I've read is true, part of his new contract with the Dons was a clause basically saying the Dons cannot fire him if things take a turn for the worst this season.

Fuck, that's basically him sweet for the remainder of the season. He can do what he wants. And then if we want to fire him for going ten games without a goal or a point or a clue, then we have to wait for next season. And then he's tied up for three years afterwards, so there's the good ol' release clause that sees us fork out another mill to ditch another useless manager.

The United match is not the whole story. The United match is just the weight that finally tipped the scales for me. I've had enough of the "Boring Dons" headlines, and the "too many of our boys didn't show up today" quotes. How many of these headlines and quotes do we have to read before Calderwood actually does something about it?

Willie, time to ditch yer loyalties to yer mate. If McGhee is willing to listen to the SFA about the Scotland job, I reckon he could be tempted by the Aberdeen job. McGhee excites me! Caldo does not.

Yeah, but if what I've read is true, part of his new contract with the Dons was a clause basically saying the Dons cannot fire him if things take a turn for the worst this season.

Fuck, that's basically him sweet for the remainder of the season. He can do what he wants. And then if we want to fire him for going ten games without a goal or a point or a clue, then we have to wait for next season. And then he's tied up for three years afterwards, so there's the good ol' release clause that sees us fork out another mill to ditch another useless manager.

The United match is not the whole story. The United match is just the weight that finally tipped the scales for me. I've had enough of the "Boring Dons" headlines, and the "too many of our boys didn't show up today" quotes. How many of these headlines and quotes do we have to read before Calderwood actually does something about it?

Willie, time to ditch yer loyalties to yer mate. If McGhee is willing to listen to the SFA about the Scotland job, I reckon he could be tempted by the Aberdeen job. McGhee excites me! Caldo does not.

Completely agree, the three and 1/2 year contract not only puzzled me, but also worried me at the same time. The club have well and truly shot themselves in the foot with the length of contract. I imagine they saw it as a back up, should things go really well, and dare I say it a league 1 club came in for him. There would be a substantial compensation package for the club. But obviously the liklihood of this happening are slim to none.

We have made slow ( albeit very boring) progress. But I am just not happy to ditch him and then we could suddenly find ourselves back in the days of Ebbe and JK. No thanks. The football was just as boring and we frequently got horsed double the amount we did yesterday. But as I said, its how they bounce back from yesterday's result. I do have doubts myself but i'm not willing to join the bandwagon. I truly think Calderwood is a right dick, but he has brought some stability back to the club.

Stability? If there's one team we RRRRRREALLY need to be beating, it's United. It's all very well beating the Smurrens, Invernesses and Falkirks. But the one fixture outside the Rangers matches that captures the Red Army's imagination is the United match at Tannalice. There's something really special about that match that has the dandies headin down the road in their thousands for this fixture. To lose two on the bounce so convincingly is sore!

And I think there'll be a lot of fans looking at the league matches coming up and saying "ach, I'll miss this one cos we'll probably lose it anyway. I'll save my money for the cup and Euro ties". And THAT is where it will sting the club in the coffers. To be so boring in the league matches is fatal from our point of view. Matches against Bayern will always be sellouts regardless of how we are fairing. But the league attendances (our bread and butter) are really gonna suffer with results like the one this weekend.

Is there ever a time Calderwood shoulders the blame for the poor performances/tactic's/team selection? It's always the players who get the blame. Well guess what tango man, you bought them and picked them for the team.

Apparently the players play well and pass the ball in training and decide for some reason not to do it on a Saturday? Maybe we'll have to go and watch the training games to see the team perform and string three passes together.

Is there ever a time Calderwood shoulders the blame for the poor performances/tactic's/team selection? It's always the players who get the blame. Well guess what tango man, you bought them and picked them for the team.

Apparently the players play well and pass the ball in training and decide for some reason not to do it on a Saturday? Maybe we'll have to go and watch the training games to see the team perform and string three passes together.

I am in no way defending him, but he did shoulder some of the blame yesterday without directly saying it. Which in itself is a rarety.

Calderwood fumes at Dons players 

Calderwood was bitterly disappointed after the loss at Tannadice

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood was furious after watching his side lose 3-0 at Tannadice.

"The players need to look at themselves and I told them that there are always mirrors in dressing rooms," he said.

"Sometimes you want to smash them and I was very close to that. You can only do so much though and that is not taking any responsibility away from myself. 

"But too many good players are not performing anywhere near their capabilities for this club."

Guest Shabba Ranks

He's gone as far as he can with AFC

I appreciate your opinion, but this is an absolutely bollix statement, that I'm sure you've been saying season upon season under Calderwood

Nope, just this season. He's been here long enough to establish a system and pattern of play, but he hasn't. I'm all for giving managers time to implement their thoughts and style but I just don't think he is capable of doing any more for us. We're not consistent and rarely produce quality/inspiring football, but I think we have the players capable of that. It's dire to watch with the odd exception like Copenhagen. He's motivated and inspired us to work and that, along with the decline of the opposition, have meant we are no longer as pish as we used to be. However, even the JC motivation seems to be lacking these days and I hate hearing his same old crap in the papers after another poor performance. With the quality of opposition in the SPL and the players at Aberdeen, some decent tactics and play and I think 3rd should be rapped up and we try to challenge the old firm. There is an opportunity with the decline of Hearts and Hibs this year to solidify the '3rd force' again but I just don't think JC has the skills to do so.

Yep, I think that is pretty obvious. With no money in Scottish Football we lose so many more players to the lower leagues in England and don't attract nearly as many decent players to Scottish Football. We were gash while other teams still paid for players now it is much more even again since few teams can spend.

Guest Shabba Ranks

Yep, I think that is pretty obvious. With no money in Scottish Football we lose so many more players to the lower leagues in England and don't attract nearly as many decent players to Scottish Football. We were gash while other teams still paid for players now it is much more even again since few teams can spend.

Maybe we're still sh*te as well then, and as good as we think we are?

In saying that, isn't Scottish football in the best state it's been in years?

In attack I actually rate Foster and Hart when they push forward, and Seve, Nicholson, Smith, Miller, and Lovell can play a bit, plus I think Aluko is a tidy player. That's why I think we are capable of playing more quality stuff. I don't think there are that many players in the SPL that I'd take ahead of them when they play to potential. I also think they are players who can play with the ball at their feet and aren't so suited to long ball/kick and run stuff. We seem to play some pretty crap stuff on a regular basis which suggests a lack of motivation, tactics etc.... hence I look to JC.

As for the state of scottish football, I would say the league is more even than it has been in years which again I put down to the financial state of scottish football, but I wouldn't say it's the best quality in years. Considering the quality on show yesterday between us and Dundee Utd, two of the 'better' teams by league positions, I don't think the quality was particularly high from what I have heard/read.

Guest Shabba Ranks

I wouldn't say it's the best quality in years.

How would you explain the performances of the national team and our club teams in Europe then?