Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Calderwood coaching

I get why we are looking to replace Hart with Bus or some other numptie, but why are we looking at strikers?? (if you can call Dobie that.) We have Miller, Lovell, Mackie, Mcguire, and Smith who have all shown they are capable. I assume Miller is leaving and Dobie is the replacement but why not use the cash to get Dobie to keep Miller?

Having watched the dons this season we don't play with any real style or system of play.... apart from lump it up the park. Do we actually coach in training? What does Sandy Clark do again exactly?  I'd much rather we signed a central midfielder who'll take responsibility in games. We have no leader on the park and no central player willing to take charge of a game. Seve used to but rarely now. We don't play through midfield very often and any good play is a lump forward to the forwards to hold the ball up for midfielders - very basic play.

I watch/listen to games every week and we always seem to play poorly. We're not fun to watch and it appears more teams play more attractive football than us (Hibs, Motherwell this season for example, never mind the old firm.) What do we do in training as you cannot tell from watching games? I do a lot of coaching in the U.S. and we appear to be a very poorly coached team. We can sign whoever we want but what do our coaching staff do with them???? The boy got slated in another topic for criticizing Calderwood but my feelings are is that all prem clubs are struggling financially. We were crap for a few years because other teams were still spending money and we were tightening the belt. Now it seems to be even hence we are more competitive again - I don't really hold Calderwood responsible for success but more the other teams are crap now. If we were playing good attractive football then maybe but we aren't particularly good. I personally feel Pittodrie is stale again and Calderwood has taken us as far as he could - a new contract to me means more of the same which is not really inspiring. Dare I say we missed an opportunity to sign a John Collins for example with English/European experience and a reputation of playing good attractive football.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whilst i sympathise with most of what you're saying, I can't agree on 'missing out' on John Collins. He's got much bigger things in his head than coming north, he's looking at the premiership i would imagine. Besides, if he's not happy with Hibs' backing, then what is he going to say to Milne's budget of a few old buttons to play with...

I think there is a difference between playing the ball to a target man who holds the ball up for midfield support, knocks it into the channels for wide runners, on flicks it on for the other forward to run onto, and simply lumping it up the park head height or higher. I don't see all the games but from what I have seen and heard we regularly simply punt it up the park and posession is lost. We can rarely keep possession and play more than 3 passes in a row. Miller loses a lot more than he wins, not solely his fault as the 'punt' isn't exactly a quality pass. It would be nice to have a team that plays through midfield rather than kick and run stuff. I think we all agree we don't play quality stuff much at all and we simply want to see a few passes and be entertained. The players are paid professionals who do have technique - it takes coaching to play possession as a team, it doesn't take much intelligence at all to play kick and run.

From the last few games we've played dire stuff - not much to jump about. Even with the injuries we can play better. I think you'll find if we pass the ball a little better and are coached a little better you get to jump around a little more. We do have the talent in the squad and we are underachieving. While we are still involved in all competitions we could do better. Just because we are not the doom and gloom of the past under Alex Miller, Ebbe etc doesn't mean we settle, and I think people are happy just because we are not involved in the relegation battle - play better and we could easily solidify 3rd but we're also not far of 8th. Compare our squad to the rest of the league and we could/should be doing better - some quality coaching and that could easily be achieved.

Of course we are underachieveing. With the squad we have we should easily be 3rd (at worse??) yet the league form has been average at best. The Copenhagen game gave us a glimpse of what we are capable of - no reason why we don't reach the league cup final as we haven't faced any good teams (we should beat anyone and give Celtic/Rangers a challenge) and we should beat Falkirk in the replay. Calderwood is a motivator and not a tactician but there are only so many times you can use the same speeches, yell at the players etc. and he struggles to inspire, motivate and coach the current group. We are inconsistent/poor because he's a very average coach. A fresh approach could take us further in a time when we could easily be the third force in Scottish football and be competing with the old firm. Most games are a struggle and a slog when we do have the players to be doing much better and playing much better quality football.

Orlando, no offence but when was the last time you sat in on the team talk or training.

It seems a bit like the BNP myth that another coach could come in and take the players, signed by "fat fool who can't coach or spot a player", and take them to another level.

Who's to say he isn't taking a group of half decent players to their maximum performance level?

I guess that JC will be judged when he's not here and we can then, and only then, say how good or bad he is.

Of course we are underachieveing. With the squad we have we should easily be 3rd (at worse??) yet the league form has been average at best. The Copenhagen game gave us a glimpse of what we are capable of - no reason why we don't reach the league cup final as we haven't faced any good teams (we should beat anyone and give Celtic/Rangers a challenge) and we should beat Falkirk in the replay. Calderwood is a motivator and not a tactician but there are only so many times you can use the same speeches, yell at the players etc. and he struggles to inspire, motivate and coach the current group. We are inconsistent/poor because he's a very average coach. A fresh approach could take us further in a time when we could easily be the third force in Scottish football and be competing with the old firm. Most games are a struggle and a slog when we do have the players to be doing much better and playing much better quality football.

Over on AFC Chat you would be lauded as a visionary. ::)

Got to say, I love the intelligent responses and debate. It gives people so much credibility. If you are going to abuse at least be funny!!

My job is in coaching so I pay attention to what coaches say/do during Games. I also scout and watch training sessions to see what coaches do. Last game I watched was the Gretna game over Christmas and while it certainly wasn't a great performance it's just embarrassing watching Calderwood. He shouts, screams, doesn't really coach, and the way he rips into Michael Hart when he gets injured is just primative. When you go 1-0 up with less than 5 mins remaining you make tactical adjustments to hold a lead as you know the other team will press. You practice these kind of things in training. You also practice how to hold the ball, play possession, and keep the ball in the corners - you see that regularly when teams hold a lead. Jimmy does nothing and from what we see there are no team adjustment, we don't keep the ball, and lose a last minute goal. Even the penalty which was a dubious penalty, you don't sit so high when defending a 1 goal lead with 2 mins left. You play deep and get men behind the ball so there is no space to exploit and the team plays infront of you.

I simply feel we have the talent in our squad to do better. We have many average teams in our league and I expect more - if we were playing good football I wouldn't have an issue but it's painful to watch most games. Jimmy stablised our team/club now it's maybe time for someone else to take us forward.

Guest Shabba Ranks

Are you Steve Paterson?!?  :wave:

RANT BEGINS

Got to say, I love the intelligent responses and debate. It gives people so much credibility. If you are going to abuse at least be funny!!

We've gone over this numerous times with the retards on KKK-Chat, so don't really need to cover old ground.

My job is in coaching so I pay attention to what coaches say/do during Games. I also scout and watch training sessions to see what coaches do.

So what you're saying is that Calderwood is not doing a good job?  Balloon...

Last game I watched was the Gretna game

:hammer:

Typical JC hater, you only analyse the games where everyone's aware we played pish (yet we still got something from the game and were only a baw-hair away from taking 3 points).  Why not analyse the game against Copenhagen for us you coaching genius?!?  :thumbsup:

I simply feel we have the talent in our squad to do better.

Better? Better? WTF do you mean by better? Are you freakin' demented?!?

Last season :-

3rd place league finish, pushing Rangers as far as we could with the size of our squad (also worth bearing in mind how much money they spent when Walter Smith took over).

This season :-

CIS Cup Semi-Final against Dundee United

Last 32 of the UEFA Cup against Bayern Munich

Replay in the last 32 at home to Falkirk, with the winner playing either Hamilton or Brechin at home in the last 16.  No reason why we won't get to, at least, the quarter finals.

4th in the league, 2 points off Motherwell in 3rd.

Money coming in for the sale of Anderson, and possibly Clark/Hart/Nicholson (yes, you did read that right, money coming in for Chris F*cking Clark), cup runs that we've all been praying for, a return to Europe with a two-legged tie against a true giant in Bayern Munich (which will also bring a hell of a lot of cash to the coffers), unbeaten at home in all competitions for around 12 games, all the while consolidating our position in the league.

What more do you want? ???  If you want to watch football played the Brazilian way, f*ck off and support Hibs.  :hammer:

RANT OVER

I apologise if this post comes across as hostile, we're all Dandies at the end of the day, but I've had enough of the moaning from certain sections of our support.  :thumbsup:

Guest Shabba Ranks

thought it was falkirk that played the brazilian way  ;)

Naw, Hibs = 1970's Brazil, Falkirk = Arsenal of the North

:lolabove:

I'd much rather be in 8th in the league watching silky football - and if ye supported hibs you could be looking forward to yer first EVER scottish cup win!

Now that you put it like that...  ::)  :thumbsup:

My job is in coaching so I pay attention to what coaches say/do during Games. I also scout and watch training sessions to see what coaches do. Last game I watched was the Gretna game over Christmas and while it certainly wasn't a great performance it's just embarrassing watching Calderwood. He shouts, screams, doesn't really coach, and the way he rips into Michael Hart when he gets injured is just primative. When you go 1-0 up with less than 5 mins remaining you make tactical adjustments to hold a lead as you know the other team will press. You practice these kind of things in training. You also practice how to hold the ball, play possession, and keep the ball in the corners - you see that regularly when teams hold a lead. Jimmy does nothing and from what we see there are no team adjustment, we don't keep the ball, and lose a last minute goal. Even the penalty which was a dubious penalty, you don't sit so high when defending a 1 goal lead with 2 mins left. You play deep and get men behind the ball so there is no space to exploit and the team plays infront of you.

I simply feel we have the talent in our squad to do better. We have many average teams in our league and I expect more - if we were playing good football I wouldn't have an issue but it's painful to watch most games. Jimmy stablised our team/club now it's maybe time for someone else to take us forward.

ummm playing deep, with men behind the ball is about all we do when we go 1-0 up.  I missed the gretna game but I would say it must be the exception that proves the rule.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this season and will continue to do so.  I'd much rather be successful than play ineffectual but "pretty" football like Falkirk or Hibs. It's up to JC to show that he can turn this seasons potential into some tangible success (in my eyes a cup final and europe again)

ummm playing deep, with men behind the ball is about all we do when we go 1-0 up.  I missed the gretna game but I would say it must be the exemption that proves the rule.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this season and will continue to do so.  I'd much rather be successful than play ineffectual but "pretty" football like Falkirk or Hibs. It's up to JC to show that he can turn this seasons potential into some tangible success (in my eyes a cup final and europe again)

I think we're doing about as much as we need to do to stay in touch in the league, and saving the performances for the cup games just now. Motherwell will either eventually fall away drained or go on a monumental run inspired by the POD effect. United are shite. That leaves us ready to pick up the pieces when our cup runs are over. I think JC's actually playing quite a nice game as far as that goes this season - give the fans something to get excited about in the cups, and we'll go about business as usual in the league.

No need for the abuse, debate is healthy and we are all entitled to our opinion. I get the thumbs down for debating versus sending insults and abuse? Quality!

As I said before, Calderwood has done a good job at stabilizing the team/club. However, I think he's taken us as far as he can. Nothing to do with hating the guy, he's simply a coach that motivates and get players fired up. However, I think he cannot do any more with us. I'm not asking us to play like Brazil, I just want us to play football rather than kick and run scraps. We have the talent to do better and I think we could get someone to improve our play. I feel we have a much better squad than most of the league yet we've struggled to get 9 wins out of 22 in the league? That has taken us to 4th which sums up the standard of the competition; I think it's fair to say we haven't played well many games this season, what if we played better?

The league is not a great standard and we are very capable of being top 3 and competing with the old firm in my opinion. I used the Gretna game as an example as it was the last game I attended. I also referenced the Copenhagen game as what we are capable of doing. We have the talent to pass the ball and play better, and still win. Our players are capable of more from what we have seen of them in certain games - how many games have we trully played well this year versus the comments of 'we were dire today?' We don't have to play kick and run to get results and we can play well and win well, and win more often. I think we are simply missing an opportunity here to do better?

No need for the abuse, debate is healthy and we are all entitled to our opinion. I get the thumbs down for debating versus sending insults and abuse? Quality!

Have to admit that the abuse after you’ve gotten having obviously taken the time to make a well thought out post (at your mind at least ;) ) is a little uncalled for.  Especially considering you’re relatively new to the site and bring a slightly differing view to the general consensus.  A chat site with everyone saying the same thing is rather boring and we all know which one I’m meaning.  Why else would they be asking or sending us PMs to come back?  ;)

So I’ll try rise to the discussion in as sensible tone as I can……. Well at least as sensible a discussion you can expect from a low-down, set-trippin, gang banger.  Boodahbai!!  :thumbsup:

Speaking from my own point of view and perhaps a few others on this board, I still have the memories of the last decade fresh in my mind and although the football may not be pretty, it sure is looking better on paper.

From certain sections of the fans, we keep hearing that the players could be doing so much better but it’s purely speculation.  We keep being told the team is underperforming but the last rake of managers haven’t manage to nearly as well and to say anyone else would, again is pure speculation.

One thing’s for sure, Calderwood took over and in his first year, with a team that was mostly not his choosing and got us into 4th place a ball hair away from Europe.  Whether you believe he’s getting the best out of his players or not, he’s got those players to sign contracts and I doubt most would be here, if it wasn’t for him as they obviously rate him.  Those doubting his training skills (although I’m sure that’s more to do with Jimmy Nichol who seems to escape all criticism) should look at the likes of Chris Clark who has attracted another club to spend money on him.  Lee Miller has been singled out by opposition managers whilst others he’s worked for, have wanted off their books!  Jesus, even Ricky Foster was looking good last season although he’s dipped in form this year.  These are all cold hard facts, not speculation, facts.

As I said before, Calderwood has done a good job at stabilizing the team/club. However, I think he's taken us as far as he can. Nothing to do with hating the guy, he's simply a coach that motivates and get players fired up. However, I think he cannot do any more with us. I'm not asking us to play like Brazil, I just want us to play football rather than kick and run scraps. We have the talent to do better and I think we could get someone to improve our play. I feel we have a much better squad than most of the league yet we've struggled to get 9 wins out of 22 in the league? That has taken us to 4th which sums up the standard of the competition; I think it's fair to say we haven't played well many games this season, what if we played better?

The next bugbear with the happier fans is the “he’s taken us far as he can†statement that keeps cropping up.  Again this is speculation!  We were hearing this last season when we were beaten by QotS, and then we got into Europe which was when we heard it next.  We have the Dnipro tie at home and it’s trundled out whereby we go over there and qualify only to hear it again.  Then it’s the group stages of which we don’t by any means sail through but go as any Copenhagen fan whether they’d be upset with notching up 4 points and having their next tie against Bayern Munich.  BAYERN MUNICH FFS!!!  A REAL COMPETITIVE GAME, AGAINST BAYERN MUNICH IN THE LAST 32 OF THE UEFA CUP!!!  Not a whimsical testimonial or pre-season money maker but a real game against one of the most famous teams in the world!

Calderwood has on each season, not only surpassed most of our expectations but also the standards he’s set himself the previous year.  To turn around and say you want him out because he’s “taken us as far as he can†is just ridiculous!  How about we actually do wait to see how far he can take us?  We’re still in all competitions and you could very well be having three trips to Hampden this season.  Bin him now and you’ll never know how far he can actually take us, let alone having the chance of a cup finals where you’ll probably still be heard to say “he’s taken us as far as he canâ€.

The league is not a great standard and we are very capable of being top 3 and competing with the old firm in my opinion. I used the Gretna game as an example as it was the last game I attended. I also referenced the Copenhagen game as what we are capable of doing. We have the talent to pass the ball and play better, and still win. Our players are capable of more from what we have seen of them in certain games - how many games have we trully played well this year versus the comments of 'we were dire today?' We don't have to play kick and run to get results and we can play well and win well, and win more often. I think we are simply missing an opportunity here to do better?

Football is football.  Upsets can happen.  Celtic can get pumped out of cups by lower division teams one week and hump Inter Milan at home four days later.  There are days where your team play like they are possessed, where everything clicks, gels, flows and you bang in 4 against Copenhagen.  Then there are days where it all goes wrong against QotS and they look like they’ve never played together before.  We’ve seen games against the Huns where we haven’t touched the ball then games where we rule the roost.  That’s just the ups and downs of being a football fan.

So that’s my spiel, welcome aboard the good ship DT.

Wiggidy-wack!

Peace out.

8)