Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Barry Nic

I have a sneaking suspicion that Barry Nicholson will end up staying at Aberdeen.  We saw a similar thing with Severin a couple of years ago and I just have a feeling this will go the same way.

I'm all for a wage structure to keep the running of the club sustainable but the medium term impact of it will mean we may just take a step back to the days of Steve Paterson and having to plunder the first division for rough gem-type players.  As has been shown over the last few years, despite massive cutbacks, AFC still struggle to make profit and they have to budget for that scenario every year and go down the route of performance related pay and bonus system for cup runs/UEFA qualification and the like.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be good to know where the money we've earned from tv, Anderson's fee and Europe has gone to as it's clearly not going into players contracts.

If the club turn round and say we've cleared some debt then fine.

If they tell me they've pumped it into youth development then good.

If they are improving the coaching structure or invested it in training facilities/equipment then fair enough.

But from a fans point of view and possibly the players wanting improved deals, the money has just vanished.

You'd think a club the size of Aberdeen could sort Nicholson out without breaking the wage structure.  A wee bonus payment, or a bigger hoose, better club car... surely we could use a little creativity to help the lad make up his mind?

You'd think a club the size of Aberdeen could sort Nicholson out without breaking the wage structure.  A wee bonus payment, or a bigger hoose, better club car... surely we could use a little creativity to help the lad make up his mind?

But they have to take the hard line and draw it somewhere.  Otherwise the other players will start looking for it and if it's not given they'll leave or cause a rift in the dressing room.

Therein lies the problem I reckon.

Our board seem to be a reflection of our midfield, unambitious, lacking creativity or imagination and unable to make a challenge.

But they have to take the hard line and draw it somewhere.  Otherwise the other players will start looking for it and if it's not given they'll leave or cause a rift in the dressing room.

With Hart's quotes about wanting to be on what others are receiving, I'd be surprised if this wasn't already the case.

I hope he stays because he is one of the few players that visibly play for the shirt. I admit sometimes the game passes him by, but i don't think thats his own fault, possibly the lack of the skill of those around him. If he was asked to take a pay cut, I would not blame him for leaving. I get the impression he won't be leaving before the summer which is only a good thing. I hope no-one boo's him. You cannot blame him for wanting the best for himself and his family.

It would be good to know where the money we've earned from tv, Anderson's fee and Europe has gone to as it's clearly not going into players contracts.

If the club turn round and say we've cleared some debt then fine.

If they tell me they've pumped it into youth development then good.

If they are improving the coaching structure or invested it in training facilities/equipment then fair enough.

But from a fans point of view and possibly the players wanting improved deals, the money has just vanished.

The article posted today had Miller suggesting that the players budget was increased by around £1m each year did it not. Attendance revenue must be getting it in the arse and I can tell you first hand that general running costs of a company are not going down these days (property costs, utilities, wages etc are all rising). In order to increase a players budget by £1m you would have to be draining a reservoir of cash somehwere.

Surely the board can stretch it abit and offer Barry Nic an improved offer, after all they managed it with Zander after saying they had given him his final offer. In my opinion it is clear that Barry Nic would rather stay with the club than leave and I think resigning 2 of the players Jimmy Calderwood really wants to stay, will pesuade him to renew his contract also.  Barry Nic has chipped in with a good few important goals this season and we could do with a few more if we are to get into cup finals this season and make 3rd place in the league.   

With Hart's quotes about wanting to be on what others are receiving, I'd be surprised if this wasn't already the case.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but were our higher earners not recent Scotland internationals/squad regulars when they signed their deals? Is this not the reason why they are the current high earners? Now, given that Hart's never even had a sniff of Scotland action, what right does he have to demand a pay packet equal to that of someone who is/was an international?

Anyway, i'd be quite delighted to see Barry stay and i also wouldn't be surprised to hear it if him and Calderwood signed new deals at around about the same time. I'm sure he said himself in December sometime that whoever was in charge would have a big bearing on whether he signed a new deal or not. Maybe he's waiting to see what JC does...

I was talking to my mate about this, I was under the very distinct impression that getting Scotland caps (or international caps for anyone) meant a big hike in most teams pay scale.

That would mean Hart wouldn't be entitled (given that kind of structure) to wages commanded by the likes of Seve, McNamara, Nicholson or Miller.

Not saying that that is necessarily fair as such just that was my understanding of wage structures.

But if we can perhaps begin to look at it from Barry Nicholson's perspective for a minute here.

He has been a core part of a team which has improved year on year, culminating in a tie against Bayern Munich in the last 32 of the UEFA Cup with the real possibility of a domestic cup final. For his employers to turn round to him and say that he is getting a pay cut for his efforts is bare faced cheek.

We were specifically informed that money gained from the transfer of Anderson and from the UEFA Cup campaign was ring fenced to ensure that we could retain playing and coaching staff. Now, this obviously has  not happened. So what the fuck is going on with it?

???

I believe they take the players age, international caps, current form, experience, disciplinary record, goals record, speed, height, work-rate, and popularity with the fans into consideration, then discuss what the player himself and his manager believe his worth to be.

Then the directors come up with a laughably low weekly wage and haggle with the kid whilst setting unreasonable deadlines for him to make a decision.

Then the player signs for Plymouth and we all forget about him, until he gets homesick and moves to Partick Thistle.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but were our higher earners not recent Scotland internationals/squad regulars when they signed their deals? Is this not the reason why they are the current high earners? Now, given that Hart's never even had a sniff of Scotland action, what right does he have to demand a pay packet equal to that of someone who is/was an international?

So perferomances for THE DONS count for nothing then? Jamie Smith and Lee Miller... how many caps do they have between them? Hart's performances for the dons merit him getting more money, and Smith being perenially injured, Severin being perenially shite and Miller being perenially lazy doesn't justify them getting the wages they do. If you think it does then there's something wrong.

It seems a shame that taking the club to higher and higher levels has resulted in our squad being asked to take pay CUTS. And this after Willie announcing there'll be 1.4mill in the kitty.

Something nae right here, me thinks. On one hand, it's good that the Dons are sticking to some sort of wage structure (a factor that was clearly missing when we started getting ourselves into trouble when signing the likes of Kiriakov, Winters and Hignett). But on the other hand, Hart and Nicholson are two of our more consistent performers over the past couple of seasons. Although we shouldn't be pushing the boat out, we should certainly be doing what we can to keep them here ... especially when the likes of Barry Nic has expressed his desire to stay here!!!!!

Is there any stone cold hard facts printed anywhere that they've been offered lower wages or is this just forum assumptions?

All that I've seen is Michael Hart's quote saying Willie Miller told him the top earners would no longer earn as much.  I'd doubt that necessarily means the likes of Nicholson need to actually take a cut if he is one of the most highly valued players here - take for example the fact that Lovell and Miller must surely be on comparable wages with Nic yet haven't held any contract negotiations yet - I'd imagine it would be the likes of those players that wont be offered an increase.

All that I've seen is Michael Hart's quote saying Willie Miller told him the top earners would no longer earn as much.  I'd doubt that necessarily means the likes of Nicholson need to actually take a cut if he is one of the most highly valued players here - take for example the fact that Lovell and Miller must surely be on comparable wages with Nic yet haven't held any contract negotiations yet - I'd imagine it would be the likes of those players that wont be offered an increase.

The "top" earners refer to Severin, Miller, Smith and Lovell.

Miller aside, i don't know if it's a coincidence that they choose what games they decide they can be arsed to play in.  Even in Miller's case it's taken him over a year to come good.

Is this a football thing or do the rest of you lads rabbit on about how much you make?

I prefer to keep my cards close to my chest and haven't a clue what the lad in the next office to me is pulling in.

Of course I've a rough idea but I couldn't possibly narrow it down to £/week.

No but it's not difficult to work out who the top earners at the club are. 

Seve, Miller and Smith were a fair coup at the time and as a result will have wages that reflect that.  Came from relatively "big" clubs, so we attracted them with at least similar deals to those that they were already on.

It's an educated guess on my part as opposed to a well informed disclosure.  What Michael Hart said in the papers this week about him earning less that the top earners confirmed it for me.