Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Ryan Jack

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic news, yet again, he's shown why he so highly regarded by those at the club as well as the supporters.  If he goes next summer, I would be very pleased for him.  As i and many others have said, he's stuck with us, learnt his trade and got a seriously high number of appearances for someone of his age.  Seeing what he and McLean could do in midfield next season is something I really want to see.

As soon as the club paid decent money for MacLean I expected Jack to leave this summer. The news of his contract extension is another example of the ambition shown by the club, an ambition that the players are buying into.

• 1 month later...

Noticed that this morning too. I'm quite pleased with that, and my first thought was exactly as Hilton has said. Should hopefully take the pressure off Reynolds and allow him to get back to what he does best. Good news  :thumbsup:

Think having to play next to Ash Taylor had more to do with Reynolds drop in performance than him being  captain.

Some of the errors Reynolds made were down to him alone, playing next to Taylor or Anderson wouldn't have made a difference imo

I'm just wondering if Anderson made Reynolds look as good as he did... He certainly suffered when Anderson got injured however I'd agree many of his errors can't be blamed on Taylor.

Maybe he's just not cut out to be the lead defender?

Some of the errors Reynolds made were down to him alone, playing next to Taylor or Anderson wouldn't have made a difference imo

It can knock your confidence though which in turn alters your decision making. I agree it wasn't all down to Anderson not being there but I think it had a big influence on it - when such a steadying influence and all round superb player is no longer at your side it's bound to affect you.

The most worrying thing for me regarding Reynolds was his performance on the Friday night v St Johnstone a week before the Semi final. He was bullied by Steven McLean.  As poor a performance i've seen from any outfield player under DM. He probably should have been dropped after that game but we just don't have the squad to do such things.

Reynolds was, in my opinion, the most integral part of our record breaking clean sheet run, with JAck almost as important providing protection in front of the back four.

He maybe wasn't faultless, but how many goals conceded were down to his errors alone?  Very, very few, which is seriously impressive for a CB.

I think Reynolds dip in form has been grossly over-stated.

On Jack getting the captaincy, I think it's perfect.  He's relish the responsibility and he'll be supported by a whole should of solid, experienced pros.  It'll be another catalyst for his impressive year on year development.

Reynolds was, in my opinion, the most integral part of our record breaking clean sheet run, with JAck almost as important providing protection in front of the back four.

He maybe wasn't faultless, but how many goals conceded were down to his errors alone?  Very, very few, which is seriously impressive for a CB.

On Jack getting the captaincy, I think it's perfect.  He's relish the responsibility and he'll be supported by a whole should of solid, experienced pros.  It'll be another catalyst for his impressive year on year development.

Extremely simplistic way of looking at it. People can see when someone isn't playing well, they don't have to cost a goal for that to be proven to them.

It's going to be interesting to see how much game time Quinn gets.  He's clearly intended to replace Anderson in the squad. DM may be thinking about putting him in alongside Reynolds as a regular partnership with Taylor and Considine as a second or back up partnership.  My point is, I suppose, last season Reynolds was pretty much undroppable due to lack of cover, being quick, natural left footer and also captain. Assuming Shinnie is going to be deployed primarily at LB (oh god, oh god, please, he's the best LB we have had since Robertson and you can argue that this is the first time the LB situation has been properly addressed since his departure to the huns in the early 90's) then Considine will be challenging for the CB position.  I could see him and Taylor having a good balance as a pairing now I think about it, Considine is quite streetwise these days and was an integral part of the squad last season.  Regardless though if Quinn works out we all of a sudden have multiple options for the back line, he could be a key signing.  I'm not convinced myself, I was told he was known as bit of a boozer at county from a pretty reliable source but in McInnes I trust I suppose. 

I don't - he wasn't the same player as the season before!

• 1 month later...
DEREK McInnes today hailed the positive impact Ryan Jack has made since taking over the Aberdeen captaincy.

Following Russell Anderson’s retirement at the end of last season midfielder Jack was named club skipper for the new campaign.

Aberdonian Jack led his home city club out in the Europa League campaign where the Dons progressed to the third qualifying round only to lose out to Kairat Almaty of Kazakhstan.

Under the 23-year-old’s captaincy the Reds have also won all three opening Premiership games for the first time since 1991-92.

McInnes praised Jack for his “terrific performances” and insisted the responsibility of the captaincy will make him even better.

He said: “Ryan’s performances in the Europa League and in the Premiership have been terrific.

“He is such a key player for us and has been excellent so far.

“I always felt that the added responsibility of the club captaincy would do Ryan no harm.”

Jack delivered a timely boost at the end of last season when he signed a one-year contract extension tying him to the Dons until summer 2017.

There had been mounting speculation linking Everton and Serie A sides Roma and Napoli with the midfielder.

“The responsibility that comes with the captaincy is something Ryan has shown he is absolutely fine with,” said McInnes.

“The improvement from Ryan over the last couple of seasons is clear to see.”

Have to say, I've definitely thought he's grown into the role relatively easily and seems to be flourishing.  Good on you Jack, keep up the good work!

Whilst I don't think it's ever going to be an easy job the number of leaders in the squad has really helped his transition into the role imo

Agreed, as well as the fact he has played with most of them for a good number of years.  They are all familiar and accept their roles within the team almost without being instructed.

Whilst I don't think it's ever going to be an easy job the number of leaders in the squad has really helped his transition into the role imo

Was thinking this the other week (or this is a deja vu/senile twat moment) but

Reynolds

Considine

Flood

Robson

Jack

Have all captained the Dons

Id guess that Flood and Robson have maybe captained other teams as well, joots?

Did  Shinnie,  Quinn and McLean ever captain Ict, county or saints? If so its like a team of captains,  ive noticed Quinn in particular is very vocal.

Jackers gave wee Johnny a right good cunting after the Kairat goal the other week  ;D

Was thinking this the other week (or this is a deja vu/senile twat moment) but

Reynolds

Considine

Flood

Robson

Jack

Have all captained the Dons

Id guess that Flood and Robson have maybe captained other teams as well, joots?

Did  Shinnie,  Quinn and McLean ever captain Ict, county or saints? If so its like a team of captains,  ive noticed Quinn in particular is very vocal.

Jackers gave wee Johnny a right good cunting after the Kairat goal the other week  ;D

Quinn, Shinnie and McLean were all captains of their respective clubs when we signed them, I believe.