Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Well v Dons - Sco Cup QF

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only 1700 tickets sold!

Come on Red Army! This could be the last meaningful game of the season so get off those armchairs and head to Motherwell!

If you pay for me to go then I'll go. I'm going on holiday soon and have very little spare cash atm the moment. I hope my justification is acceptable.

ABERDEEN FC today received a triple injury boost ahead of their Scottish Cup quarter-final tie with Motherwell.

Aberdeen FC boss Craig Brown confirmed crocked trio Stephen Hughes, Chris Clark and Clark Robertson could all make the Sunday showdown.

Brown said: “It looks as if Hughes, Clark and Robertson could be in contention for the clash, which would be a boost.”

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2012/03/05/officials-named-for-dons-clash/

Craig Thomson is the man in charge for Sunday’s Sky live William Hill Scottish Cup Quarter Final clash with Aberdeen at Fir Park.

39-year old Thomson, considered to be one of the best officials on the FIFA list, will be handling his third Motherwell game of the current season. His previous two were also live on television as Rangers ran out 3-0 winners back in mid-August and the 0-0 draw with Kilmarnock back in October.

Thomson will be ably assisted by Derek Rose and Alasdair Ross with Bobby Madden on fourth official duties.

There is no doubt that if Mark Reynolds had been at the club since the start of the season then he would have been a strong contender in the voting for our player of the year award which is currently taking place.

The stats speak for themselves. Since the defender arrived in January and made his debut against Forfar in the Scottish Cup, the Dons have not lost a game and only conceded five goals in 10 games.

Mark spoke to RedTV recently and first of all looked back at the Celtic game.

"I thought on Saturday the 1-1 score line was a fair result. Both teams had chances. It was a soft goal for us to lose especially as we have looked pretty solid in the last couple of months. Because of that then we are always disappointed to lose any goal but like against St Mirren we were able to come back and score and that is always good to see. It was a very good goal as well and a great finish from Gav.

"It was disappointing to lose the goal when we did because the longer we kept it 0-0 the pressure would have grown on them especially as they were on that winning run. If we kept it 0-0 we might have sneaked a goal and won it 1-0. Again though it was very encouraging to see the way we came back.

"The tactics at the moment are just to go out and play. We are a good footballing side, we can pass the ball. The overall message from the manager is to go and show that. Celtic are the champions elect in Scotland and we have given them a good game so we should be pleased with our performance and it should give us confidence going into the game on Sunday."

Mark was also full of praise of fellow January signing Gavin Rae, who is sadly cup tied on Sunday.

"He is a model professional the way he looks after himself. You look at him and he is every bit an athlete. He bossed the midfield against Celtic and covered every blade of grass. He just kept us ticking over and it is good to have someone who can dictate the tempo of the game as opposed to having the pace dictated to you. That is rare against Celtic."

Despite two encouraging performances in recent weeks it was two more draws, the Dons have had 12 in total this season and the Dons are now seventh in the SPL and six points behind Hearts in sixth position. Despite this Mark does not believe we should give up hope of a top sixth position with four games to go (Motherwell away; Inverness CT home; Hearts away; Dundee Utd home)

"I think it is still possible. I think anything is possible in this league. You don't know what is going to happen. A few years ago at Motherwell we were dragged into a relegation dogfight when we were told we were safe so until it is mathematically impossible then never rule anything out."

All attentions move away from the SPL and to the Scottish Cup this weekend as the Dons try and return to Hampden. Mark knows it will be a very difficult game against his former club.

"It terms of the season it is a massive game. Every club is looking to win silverware every year so Sunday will be a massive occasion. It will be a very tough game. Motherwell have sat in third all season so it is not as if they are just peaking or are up and down, they are very consistent and a good solid side. However if the same team turns up that played against Celtic we will more than give a good account of ourselves."

Every Dons fan would love to see Mark staying on beyond his loan spell but no one knows at the moment what will happen. Sheffield Wednesday have recently sacked Gary Megson and appointed Dave Jones. Mark though is not thinking about that at the moment and just focussing on helping the Dons in the business end of the season. He is enjoying his time at Pittodrie.

"I am loving it. I have settled right in. I love the city and the fans are great, the boys are great. Everyone behind the scenes are great. It is a massive club and a brilliant club to be at. I am enjoying my football here and hopefully we can get some success to make it a season to remember."

The Dons will be hoping history repeats itself ......In 1970, arguably the Dons greatest Scottish cup win, Aberdeen signed midfielder Steve Murray from Dundee in March 1970; he was cup tied and could not play in the cup for Aberdeen that season. Also in 1970 Aberdeen born Martin Buchan was named captain in February, similar to what has happened with Andy Considine this season after Richard Foster left and with Russell Anderson still not available. Buchan, who was only 21, went on to lift the cup in April 1970 after Aberdeen beat an all conquering Celtic side 3-1. He is still the youngest captain to lift the trophy.

Neutral Venue

Played 2

Won 0

Drawn 1

Lost 1

For 2 Against 4

Home

Played 4

Won 0

Drawn 2

Lost 2

For 5 Against 7

Away

Played 5

Won 4

Drawn 0

Lost 1

For 12 Against 4

Overall

Played 11

Won 4

Drawn 3

Lost 4

For 19 Against 15

Season 1995-96

30 Jan 1996 Motherwell 0 - 2 Aberdeen Scottish Cup R3 6,035

Season 1990-91

26 Jan 1991 Aberdeen 0 - 1 Motherwell Scottish Cup R3 15,000

Season 1981-82

23 Jan 1982 Motherwell 0 - 1 Aberdeen Scottish Cup R3 12,679

Season 1974-75

08 Mar 1975 Aberdeen 0 - 1 Motherwell Scottish Cup QF 23,400

Season 1957-58

15 Mar 1958 Motherwell 2 - 1 Aberdeen Scottish Cup R4 19,000

Season 1952-53

25 Feb 1953 Motherwell 1 - 6 Aberdeen Scottish Cup R3 REP 20,193

21 Feb 1953 Aberdeen 5 - 5 Motherwell Scottish Cup R3 27,735

Season 1938-39

29 Mar 1939 Aberdeen 1 - 3 Motherwell Scottish Cup SF REP 40,539

25 Mar 1939 Aberdeen 1 - 1 Motherwell Scottish Cup SF 81,756

Season 1924-25

25 Feb 1925 Motherwell 1 - 2 Aberdeen Scottish Cup R3 REP 12,000

21 Feb 1925 Aberdeen 0 - 0 Motherwell Scottish Cup R3 25,257

The only other occasion that Aberdeen have met Motherwell at the quarter final stage of the Scottish Cup was back in 1975 when the Steelmen came north and won 1-0. It was a huge blow to the Dons who had previously knocked out both Rangers and Dundee Utd away from home to reach the last eight.

The first ever clash was away back in 1925 when Aberdeen had the likes of Wembley Wizard Alec Jackson in their side. The Black & Gold of Aberdeen prevailed on that occasion with a 2-1 replay win at Fir Park. The next time the sides met was just months before the outbreak of World War II in March 1939. Aberdeen had just switched to playing in their red shirts that season, and it took two tough semi final clashes at Ibrox to separate the sides, with Motherwell reaching the last cup final before the war.

Aberdeen gained revenge of sorts in 1953 but they went about it the hard way. An incredible 5-5 draw at Pittodrie was followed by a sensational 6-1 win for the Dons at Motherwell. The Steelmen were cup holders and determined to hold on to their title. Aberdeen went 5-3 ahead when Rodger shot wide from close range to make it six. The visitors came back and snatched an unlikely draw when Cox made it 5-5 with seconds left. In the replay Aberdeen swept aside their hosts with a four goal salvo in the first half. There was no way back for Motherwell on that occasion, the watching Hibernian players in the stands were impressed as they awaited the Dons in the next round.

It was in 1982 that the quickest ever goal in the cup was scored by Aberdeen's John Hewitt in a third round tie at Fir Park. Aberdeen had not played for several weeks due to the harsh winter and the goal in 9.6 seconds was enough to set Aberdeen up for an ultimate victory in the cup that season. The Steelmen gained revenge on Aberdeen in 1991 as they stunned the Dons at Pittodrie. Aberdeen were cup holders on that occasion and a Steve Kirk goal put cup favourites Aberdeen out at the first stage of their defence. Motherwell went on to win the cup that year.

The last time the sides met was in 1996 and a convincing Aberdeen performance in front of the Sky cameras saw Aberdeen go through with goals from Duncan Shearer and Dean Windass in a 2-0 win.