Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Anderson signs back on at club....

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/aberdeen/2012/01/18/russell-anderson-i-ll-tear-up-aberdeen-contract-if-injury-strikes-again-86908-23705072/

Anderson, expected to come back from surgery on a ruptured hamstring in six weeks, said: “There have been a couple of times where I thought injuries were happening too often so this is probably the last throw of the dice.

“I appreciate the position Aberdeen are in bringing me back and I am not just going to sit here picking up my wages. If that’s the case I will tear my contract up and move on – whether that’s in football or something else.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
redmatchdaymagazine

This week's big interview is with Russell Anderson.

"I think frustrating is the perfect word to describe the last five years. It was a bit of an anti climax and very frustrating because of the injuries. In terms of the move itself, we enjoyed going down there and we made a lot of friends and I would not change that.

"Hindsight is a wonderful thing, if I had known before hand how it would pan out football wise, I might have thought twice, but looking at it I can't think I would have turned down the opportunity. It is just disappointing it did not turn out as well as I had hoped. But that's gone now and it's in the past. The other experiences from living down there were great, the children loved it. They have made a lot of friends who I am sure they will keep in touch with".

"I did keep an interest on what was going on at the club. It was obviously easier for the family to come to games when the kids were back in Aberdeen during the school holidays. It was slightly harder for me to come to games, but on a Saturday I kept an eye on the results to see how things were going. Also if any of the games were on TV, we would all tune in.

"I saw quite a few of the European nights on TV. I watched Seve lead the team out and I was very jealous! We had a good team that season and we deserved to qualify and the following season, to get as far as the team did was a remarkable achievement when you consider some of the teams they had to play. I think the players involved in that European run should be extremely proud of the achievement of getting through to play Bayern Munich.

"Every game I have watched in the last few weeks, I thought we have looked very solid. We do not look like we are going to concede a lot of goals. All the players work hard for each other and we certainly have not looked worse than the teams we have been playing. There is a bit of confidence that was not there earlier in the season when they were maybe losing games they did not deserve to lose. We just need to score some more goals to propel the team up the league.

"I have noticed already how good an atmosphere there is in the dressing room. People underestimate how important that can be. Everyone has to be pulling in the right direction and by the looks of it, what I have seen in the changing room, we have got a good set of boys and I don't think that is down to luck. Most managers pay a bit of attention to the players' qualities as people as well as the footballing ones, before deciding if they should bring them to the football club".

• 4 weeks later...
ABERDEEN FC boss Craig Brown today revealed skipper Russell Anderson is winning his fitness battle.

The defender, who returned to Pittodrie in January, has been sidelined after hamstring surgery.

The former Sunderland stopper admitted he would tear up his Aberdeen FC deal if he did not return to fitness.

So no sign of him getting back to fitness in the next few games.........

• 1 month later...
RUSSELL Anderson is on course to make his SPL return for Aberdeen FC at Tynecastle on Saturday.

Manager Craig Brown today confirmed midfielder Stephen Hughes could also be involved for the visit to Hearts if he comes through a friendly comeback at Forfar tomorrow night.

With Isaac Osbourne earmarked to feature in a friendly at Peterhead next week as well, it gives Aberdeen FC a triple tonic in the wake of the dismal 1-0 home defeat by Inverness Caley.

• 3 weeks later...

So, remind me, the point of re-signing Russell Anderson?

Captain of one of our most underachieving squads ever

Captain and defender in one our worst defences ever

Canna even get a game in our most important match of the season

So, once again, WHY?

Could we not usr his wages to keep someone fit and talented like, say, Arnason here instead?

So, once again, WHY?

Could we not usr his wages to keep someone fit and talented like, say, Arnason here instead?

So you'd have thrown him in while still not fully match fit and disrupt a fairly settled and in form defence?

He'll be an asset when he's fully fit.

If, IF, he's ever fit! And can we afford that luxury?

He's quite clearly going to be fit, came through a couple of friendlies ok but would you really throw him in for his first competitive start in months in our most vital game of the season?!

Still, don't let common sense get in the way of your rant...  ::)

At least I rant consistently on this issue.

I said it was a backward step when it was first mentioned last(?) season, nothing has changed my mind.

We'd have been better getting a full-back and/or someone who can actually create chances but let's let the heart rule the head and go for sentiment.  ::)

Big big risk taking Anderson back to the club,he can feel priveliged and fortunate enough to manage to get back to the club he turned his back on to go and try "bigger and better" things!!!

Don't get me wrong,I loved him when he was captain of Dons before but what other club in this day and age would have taken the risk on a player now prone to injury and has problems with fitness at his age?? Not many I would have thought.

I'm hoping I'm proved wrong but don't know.

He could've been a legend with cult status now if he had never left Dons in the first place!!

Big big risk taking Anderson back to the club,he can feel priveliged and fortunate enough to manage to get back to the club he turned his back on to go and try "bigger and better" things!!!

Don't get me wrong,I loved him when he was captain of Dons before but what other club in this day and age would have taken the risk on a player now prone to injury and has problems with fitness at his age?? Not many I would have thought.

He could've been a legend with cult status now if he had never left Dons in the first place!!

Arabs and Hearts with Webster. Us with McNamee last year and Patterson the year before.

Anderson is a Dons legend. That's the first time I've ever heard anyone say otherwise.

Pish.

Why did Anderson choose to leave Dons then???

Willie Miller and Alex Mcleish stayed at Dons their whole careers and playing days.Now that's LEGENDS and LEGENDARY STATUS.

What I meant is,Anderson could've had that similar status if he had chosen to stay with Dons,but hey what is loyalty these days??!!!

Never ever said Anderson wasn't a legend anyway,just said he "could've" been a legend with cult status at the club now if he hadnt left,hence admitting that the guy is a Dons legend but without that cult status attached to him like Miller and Mcleish had when they stayed at Pittodrie all there days.

But hey who am I for having a bloody opinion eh???

Why did Anderson choose to leave Dons then???

Willie Miller and Alex Mcleish stayed at Dons their whole careers and playing days.Now that's LEGENDS and LEGENDARY STATUS.

What I meant is,Anderson could've had that similar status if he had chosen to stay with Dons,but hey what is loyalty these days??!!!

Aye, Anderson has only spent 10 years at the pishest Dons team in history  ::)

You honestly think McLeish & Miller would have stayed on as long had the Dons not won a fucking thing the whole time they'd endured there.

Comparing the Dons team then and now is like comparing Apples with Syphilis.

I take it Darren Mackie is a 'legend' in your eyes then? He has spent his whole career at the Dons afterall.

So, once again, WHY?

Just from this post it's clear that you've not seen many games in recent years.