Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen v Inverness

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mawene's reading of the game and heading ability isn't a problem. His lack of speed is; balls over the top which don't cary through to the keeper are a constant issue for us without any decent pace at centre-half.

Otherwise we looked fine yesterday. Magennis was definitely an upgrade on Mackie, while Osbourne and Arnason were very good in the middle. Kari in particular looks a thouroughly decent footballer.

Again Megginson's one looked a penalty to me allbeit from my far away viewing position. If he stayed on his feet would he not have been in on goal? And why after supposedly his 2nd dive in 4 matches has he yest to be booked for it?  ??? Strange stuff. Hinna seen the incident again. Sportscene never showed it.

Fuckit, though. 3 points and a very encouraging (first half anyway) performance.

We're gonna win the league!

See ye's at Ibrox on Sunday.  :wave:

Decent first half with Milsom and Osbourne being standouts. Vernons best game for a while and he took his goal well. 2nd half we reverted to type and were pretty poor. As soon as Caley moved Hayes into the middle and ran at us there we really struggled. Still overall better then last week and we got three points which is the important thing especially with us heading to Ibrox next week.

Aberdeen off the mark but have yet to find their stride

frank gilfeather at pittodrie

22 Aug 2011

Forget the result; Aberdeen are quite a distance from being the finished article.

They may have put a little daylight between themselves and Inverness Caledonian Thistle with this victory, but Craig Brown still has a job on his hands to mould his side into a meaningful presence in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League.

Adding Mohamed Chalalion, the Algeria under-21 striker, to his squad will likely be the next stop the Pittodrie manager takes to that end. He is hopeful the player will be signed in time to play against Dundee in the Scottish Communities League Cup second round tomorrow.

Perhaps Scott Vernon, who scored his first goal of the season to secure the win, will welcome a new strike partner, although Josh Magennis was a suitable foil against Inverness. The forward ruffled a few feathers, setting up Rob Milsom for the opener and, with his muscular physique, hustling and bustling his way through the game.

Vernon, who scored 16 goals last season, was certainly pleased to have broken his duck. “It’s a massive relief,” he said. “I was hoping to get my first goal of the season before the Inverness game, but as a team we’ve probably not been creating as much as we’d have liked and I’ve certainly not been getting as many chances.

“I’m looking to do better than I did last season. I just want to get myself into good positions to get the goals and to help the team. I hadn’t scored since last February because I was out with a hernia problem. It’s always nice to get your first goal.”

Richie Foran, whose late strike offered the Highland side hope, accepted some of the blame for his side failing to capitalise on their second-half superiority, a display he described as “excellent”.

“We looked the business, but I was lacking composure and little bit of class in front of goal,” said the striker. “I let the lads down a little bit. I will try not to get too low, just as we try not to get too high when it goes for us, because that is how we do things at Inverness.

“But I have got that horrible feeling in my gut, which will last a couple of days and sleepless nights. I have probably driven the manager to the red wine as well.”

There was a word, too, about the goal that never was for Inverness. Jonny Hayes beat David Gonzalez, the Aberdeen goalkeeper, with a neat finish just as referee Crawford Allan blew for a foul outside the penalty area, neglecting to play advantage.

“The referee apologised because he made a mistake,” revealed Foran. “We are not paranoid at Inverness but if we were we would think the referees are out to get us given some of the decisions this season. We do not think that but there have been mistakes, one of them unfortunately cost us a goal. But if anything cost us the match it was me.”