Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Wind turbines in Aberdeen Bay

mizer

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan/18/donald-trump-scottish-golf-resort?INTCMP=SRCH

But Trump's threats are fuelling strong suspicions that he is using the wind farm, known as the European offshore wind deployment centre, as a reason to abandon the golf resort rather than admit the project is no longer viable or affordable.

Oh dear.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you rather have a job or a golf course you'll never get to use....?

Tough call.

Probably worded that wrong, if the wind turbines bring in significant growth in the renewables industry it would dwarf anything Trumps course would bring.  I'm all for it. Although there's no reason both developments can't go ahead, it would need Trump to stop being a twat.

It was interesting Trump said the turbines would be big and ugly and spoil the view from the planned hotel. He's obviously not seen the monstrosity that is said hotel.

Trump's golf course may never be viable. The golf course will probably not generate enough money to cover it's operating costs let alone the start-up. What Trump doesn't know is the weather on the "Great doons of Scatland", or whatever the fuck he's named them. There is no way they will get five full months of decent enough weather let alone sell all the green fees in that window of opportunity.

He needs to build the hooses and get them selt if he's going to wash his face. Everything else is a distraction from his real purpose which is, unsurprisingly, making money.

That Debra Storr is a disgusting creature but on the clubhouse design she is absolutely correct. It is an abhorrence and it does indeed remind of the Victorian lunatic asylum, presumably from whence she came.

The Donald eh. The original. No idea how Scatland operated without him.

Its amazing the level of vitriol I have read (mainly on Facebook) over the last day or two about Trump (and Sir Ian Wood).  No wonder the rest of the country views the NE as a bit of a closed shop.

Some people have the city they deserve.

Admittedly that has been silly, but you've got to admit Trump hasn't done himself any favours with his latest actions. 

I'm completely in favour of Trumps course but shelving plans for the next phases of the development reeks of a man throwing his toys out of the pram because he's not getting his own way.

11 wind turbines 2km from the shore wouldn't effect the spectacle of the course at all and it certainly shouldn't be enough to persuade Trump to pull the plug if he's committed to building the standard of course he has previously claimed.

At the end of the day both Trumps course and the wind farm are huge opportunities for the area, it doesn't have to be one of the other and the sooner people accept that (Trump included) the better.

Its amazing the level of vitriol I have read (mainly on Facebook) over the last day or two about Trump (and Sir Ian Wood).  No wonder the rest of the country views the NE as a bit of a closed shop.

Well, if you're seeing all this hate on facebook, maybe it's time you made better friends.

Admittedly that has been silly, but you've got to admit Trump hasn't done himself any favours with his latest actions. 

I'm completely in favour of Trumps course but shelving plans for the next phases of the development reeks of a man throwing his toys out of the pram because he's not getting his own way.

11 wind turbines 2km from the shore wouldn't effect the spectacle of the course at all and it certainly shouldn't be enough to persuade Trump to pull the plug if he's committed to building the standard of course he has previously claimed.

At the end of the day both Trumps course and the wind farm are huge opportunities for the area, it doesn't have to be one of the other and the sooner people accept that (Trump included) the better.

I agree with all that.  We need both investments.  Hopefully Trump stops acting silly and gets his development back on track.

Well, if you're seeing all this hate on facebook, maybe it's time you made better friends.

None of the comments were from people on my friends list  :wave:

I really don't like the union terrace gardens project and trump golf course being uttered in the same sentence.

One is ripping up a part of Victorian inner city gardens paid by public sector money and another is turning a bit of miles and miles of sand dunes into a golf course paid by a rich yank. One of two totally different things.

I agree with Andrew, you shouldn't really combine the two issues.

Broadly the NE has been in favour of Trump (and the Turbines) due to the potential economic benefits.  Trump has hardly endeared himself with his behaviour of " my way or no way".  Just because he has loads of money doesn't give him the right to do whatever he wants and ride rough-shod over local and national planning regulations and public opinion, this is not the USA.

It is right that the golf course is going ahead but not that he prevents the windfarm and not that he gets to build any old ugly club house.

As for the Gardens and Wood.  I am not convinced this will be of any economic benefit, and in fact is going to saddle Aberdeen City Council, who are hardly flush with cash, with a massive debt for a generation.  Never mind the civic vandalism to the city centre.

As for the Gardens and Wood.  I am not convinced this will be of any economic benefit, and in fact is going to saddle Aberdeen City Council, who are hardly flush with cash, with a massive debt for a generation.  Never mind the civic vandalism to the city centre.

PricewaterhouseCooper quoted in the P & J today as saying that "the City Garden Project will create 6,500 jobs for the NE and pump an extra £122 million a year into the local economy".

Who to believe? PWC, world renowned consultants or an anonymous guy on the internet who doesn't even live in Abz?

PWC are part of the establishment, as solid and reliable as HBOS and Arthur Andersen, a Rock like the Northern, as creative, dynamic and successful as Enron, a firm that all us SME's wish we could afford. Imagine how much better off we'd all be if we could give them £32k for a couple of days "strategic overview" and then follow all their flowcharts and fancy language thereafter. We would be empowered and our hidden talents and resources would flourish. We'd get back that £32k a hunner fold, in a week and a half, totally incrementally.

By my maths, £122,000,000 = £10m a month or one third of one million a day. The 6,500 jobs required to make this extra GVA - Gross Value Added, would you believe - is preposterous enough but coming out with this shit is just mind-bogglingly insulting to the intelligence of the public. I know we all read the Daily Record and the Sun and we can't count and we know fuck all about economics but we must trust the establishment otherwise our world falls apart.

The economic assessment was commissioned by the City Garden Project management board and will form part of Aberdeen City Council's TiF (Tax Incremental Financing). If I were PWC, I wouldn't bite the hand that feeds either. Thanks for the consultancy fees. Lunch anyone? Wine? Champagne? Krug vintage or Cristal?

I stopped reading at "we must trust the establishment"

As for PWC I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

That has to be the biggest whoosh on AFC webchatspeaksites. You read 83% of my words and still didn't realise that I was supporting your view.

Is it because you live in default conflict mode? You should try playing chess or backgammon online. Some beauts on there itching for a slagging match.

That has to be the biggest whoosh on AFC webchatspeaksites. You read 83% of my words and still didn't realise that I was supporting your view.

Is it because you live in default conflict mode? You should try playing chess or backgammon online. Some beauts on there itching for a slagging match.

I will that serves me right for to reading posts properly.  I was going to say I'll go back and read your full post but that would be a lie.

I will that serves me right for to reading posts properly.  I was going to say I'll go back and read your full post but that would be a lie.

I can assure you that the last 17% of the post made no difference to the interpretation. You're getting WHOOSHED, gs.

The clue was in the question etc. Northen Rock? HBOS? Enron? Andersens?

Still you invoke conflict/neg talk with your second sentence. Did Mummy not love you?

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.scotsrenewables.com/blog/offshorewind/samsung-chooses-scotland-for-european-offshore-wind-project/

Similar project down the coast in Fife

First Minister Alex Salmond today welcomed the news that Korean giant Samsung Heavy Industries (SHI) is to base its first European offshore wind project in Fife in an inward venture worth up to £100m that is expected to create more than 500 new jobs in Scotland.

The announcement came at the Scottish Offshore Wind and Supply Chain Conference in Aberdeen, at which the First Minister was delivering a keynote speech.

In conjunction with its decision to develop its offshore wind technology at the Energy Park in Fife, SHI has signed a multimillion pound deal with East Kilbride-based Clyde Blowers’ owned company, David Brown Gear Systems (David Brown), to supply gearbox systems for its next generation offshore wind turbine.

SHI will now work closely with economic development agency, Scottish Enterprise and Fife Council under a strategic agreement to develop the company’s ambitious project in Fife, which subject to successful test and demonstration of its technology would result in nacelle, gear box assembly and blade manufacturing facilities in Scotland.  SHI activities at Methil will also be subject to the appropriate planning consent.

Samsung’s announcement follows investments by other companies including Taqa, Avaloq, FMC Technologies, Aker, Ineos, PetroChina, Dell, Gamesa, BNY Mellon, State Street, Amazon, Hewlett-Packard and Mitsubishi Powers Systems.

First Minister Alex Salmond, said:

“I am extremely pleased to welcome this inward investment by Samsung Heavy Industries which further reinforces Scotland’s place in the development of the next generation of offshore wind turbines.

“Their choice of Scotland as their first base in Europe for renewable technology development is testament to the fact this country is fast becoming the European centre for research and development in new offshore wind technologies. For Methil to be chosen as the test site for Samsung Heavy Industries’ new 7MW wind turbine is another example of this country’s ability to secure investment from global multinationals.

“Scottish Enterprise, Fife Council and Scottish Development International are committed to work with Samsung Heavy Industries and David Brown to secure further investment in the form of a new wind turbine facility and associated gearbox plant at the Fife Energy Park at Methil – a significant move in that it could see much needed high-value employment in this area of Scotland.”

David Brown will design and supply the new gearbox system for SHI’s next generation offshore wind turbine as the Korean company enters the European offshore wind industry.

The company intends to co-locate a gearbox assembly plant to supply the SHI facility at Methil.

Good that its in Scotland but companies will go where they can get the go ahead and service.

http://www.scotsrenewables.com/blog/offshorewind/samsung-chooses-scotland-for-european-offshore-wind-project/

Similar project down the coast in Fife

Good that its in Scotland but companies will go where they can get the go ahead and service.

Not really a similar project at all. The article is about Samsung Heavy Industries setting up a base in fife, nothing about any planned offshore developments.  (unless I missed something when skimming through it)

The central belt is already a bit of a hub for turbine manufacturing companies so such a big company relocating to the area is expanding on that.  Positive news.

Not really a similar project at all. The article is about Samsung Heavy Industries setting up a base in fife, nothing about any planned offshore developments.  (unless I missed something when skimming through it)

The central belt is already a bit of a hub for turbine manufacturing companies so such a big company relocating to the area is expanding on that.  Positive news.

They have other test turbines going up so presumed Samsung would be the same

Scottish ministers have approved a test site at Methil in the Fife Energy Park for a 6MW offshore wind turbine.

2B Energy is to begin testing a novel, two-bladed wind turbine 20 metres off the coast. All the electricity generated will be utilised locally, according to the Scottish Government.

The application to construct and operate a demonstration turbine at Methil was submitted in April 2010. Since then 2B Energy said it has made a number of material changes to their proposals.

Turbine02.jpg