Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Wind turbines in Aberdeen Bay

mizer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-14408064

An application has been lodged to build a wind farm project off the coast of Aberdeen.

Aberdeen bay would be the location for 11 next generation turbines.

The application is being made by the Aberdeen Renewable Energy Group (AREG) in cooperation with two other companies, Vattenfall and Technip.

In the past Donald Trump raised concerns that they would spoil the view of golfers on his new course north of the city.

It is six years since the idea of a wind farm was first mooted in the waters off Aberdeen.

The consortium says 11 next generation wind turbines would be constructed as a testing ground for future developments and the project would be called the European Offshore Wind Deployment Centre (EOWDC).

It is expected it would create jobs and economic benefit by attracting scientists, researchers, engineers, offshore wind supply chain companies.

Morag McCorkindale, chief operating officer at AREG, said: "As Europe's energy capital, Aberdeen city and shire is the ideal location for the EOWDC.

"The region has an offshore oil and gas supply chain unrivalled in the eastern hemisphere and therefore has the highest concentration of energy expertise, experience, skills and technology.

"This industrial-scale know-how is crucial to the development of marine renewables, and in the short-term particularly, offshore wind."

Interesting that is being presented as a testing ground for new turbines, will make it easier to steer through the planning system.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'll never happen!

Hate to break it to you but... it is happening. Alex Salmond was up for the signing of the various contractual stuff last week. Got the full backing of the government I believe.

Although just because its happening doesn't mean it will work! Technip have been making big steps towards making installing turbines offshore much easier though.

I could understand the whole 'view' argument if it was possible to make out Norway or Denmark on a clear day but as I recall the usual view from aberdeen beach was the sea with the occasional large container ship or trawler passing by.

Is this to say some twat is going to fuck up an easy par 4 because he was distracted by a giant fan several miles out to sea?

I read a headline at the weekend that said 'Trump To Fight Wind Farm'.  I LOL'd out loud.

The thought of some guy with a rug on his head throwing punches at oversized hair driers tickled me.

It is six years since the idea of a wind farm was first mooted in the waters off Aberdeen.

Blazing a trail as per usual I see.

How's the bypass coming along?

• 1 month later...
Trump - I’ll halt £700m resort plans over turbines

donald_trump_makeup1.jpg

By Ryan Crighton

Published: 15/09/2011

Donald Trump has warned that he will reconsider his plans for a £700million resort around his north-east golf course if a huge offshore windfarm is built nearby.

The US businessman is furious over Vattenfall’s proposals to build 11 turbines off the coast of Aberdeen and last night he drew the battle lines by officially lodging his objection with Marine Scotland.

He has also asked First Minister Alex Salmond to intervene, saying it would make other international developers think twice about investing in Scotland.

The structures, which would make up the £150million European Offshore Wind Development Centre (EOWDC), would measure up to 640ft high – twice the height of Big Ben.

Last night the billionaire said that the rest of his resort – a luxury £250million hotel, 950 holiday homes and 500 houses – would be “at risk” if the government backs the green energy scheme.

Some cracking quotes from Trump in that story.  I thought he'd written to object, not threaten to pull the plug on his development (which he'll never do).

He is selling tee off times for the 1st of July next year, so I think you are right.

Latest pics

getImage.gif?ID=2381366&height=480

With the whole of the North Sea in which to place them, I can't help thinking that the choice of location is unfortunate.

They don't bother me at all but it's possibly a bit of a coincidence that some small minded Scot is cocking a snoop at the big flash yank.

I think you might have a point!

I reckon the costs of putting them further offshore would stop them from being economically viable.

Undoubtedly - plus the distance you would have to put them out would be significant as I when I'm home I can see the ones at the Beatice field and that is at least 30 miles North. Or it means putting the turbines a good bit south of Stonehaven or a good bit north of the Broch if you want it near the coast.

Undoubtedly - plus the distance you would have to put them out would be significant as I when I'm home I can see the ones at the Beatice field and that is at least 30 miles North. Or it means putting the turbines a good bit south of Stonehaven or a good bit north of the Broch if you want it near the coast.

But those two turbines at Beatrice are not ordinary offshore wind turbines, they are absolutely enormous.

I meant anywhere along the North Sea COAST. Obvious increased cost implications if further out.

Donald Trump is a prick right enough. Saw that Sarah Malone on Saturday at the Walker Cup.

Wonder what the principal reasons behind her hiring were? Was the Donald behind it?

Is she really from Peterheid?

Yes she is.

I went to school with her.  Nice lassie, switched on.

She was working at a local museum or visitors attraction for someone like Visit Scotland or the like, when Trumph and his crew rocked up whilst they were in town.  She obviously struck a chord showing them around and regailing tales of the past and a week later she got a call asking if she wanted to fly to New York for an interview for the gig.

Seems to have copped a fair bit of flak for being "Trumph's bitch" and "a right media whore" when the two couldn't really be further from the truth.

Pretty sure it's just the old 'local lass does well - we can't have that' attitude rolling around.