Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Fraser Fyvie

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So has the panic stopped or is it still a common belief that either craig brown was smokescreening in the press or the board has stabbed him in the back?

was wondering the same thing myself Tom, seems to have gone all quiet on that front. Personally, I just hope it was just some shite made up in the pub.

Well, latest papers are saying Blackburn Rovers and Newcastle are also showing interest in Fyvie.

I say let them bid against each other. The winner is the one who pays the most. 10mill O.N.O

Lets face it, all three clubs are in the Premiership and can more than afford a decent wage for a decent young Scottish midfielder who still has a couple of years left on his current contract

Well, latest papers are saying Blackburn Rovers and Newcastle are also showing interest in Fyvie.

I say let them bid against each other. The winner is the one who pays the most. 10mill O.N.O

Lets face it, all three clubs are in the Premiership and can more than afford a decent wage for a decent young Scottish midfielder who still has a couple of years left on his current contract

If thats true, then I certainly agree with you on this one. It is a potentially a win win situation for the club imo. If they price themselves out of a move, then we keep Fyvie (a good thing). They let bidding commence then who knows what we'll end up. The fact is, teams are aware of this lad so they don't need to go biting the hand off the first potential suitor. Stay strong AFC. Please. Obviously this is where my plan falls flat on its face...

Do none of you bams get it yet?

The price of a player is to do with the amount he's paid and the remaining duration of their contract.

Hibs made heaps on their young players being transferred because the paid them high wages and put them on long contracts - i.e. they took a gamble that they'd manage to get them sold.

Aberdeen, on the other hand, pay players f**k all and the most they are ever on is 2 year deals. There'll be next to fuck all transfer fees payable to snap up any Aberdeen player.

Can yeez please get this into yer heids and stop thinking a transfer fee is just based on how good and young ye think a player is?

We'll get 1 million tops for Fyvie - and that's optimistic.

Now wrap up - cos the whole story was Sunday Mail shite anyway!!!

Exactly. If AFC had anythng about them they'd have got Fyvie on a megabucks contract but we don't do "speculate to accumulate" after the disaster of the early Milne years. Something which was proven when JC's side of Anderson, Hart, Nicholson etc was allowed to break up over a matter of peanuts, essentially.

Aye so its a way of figuring out the players worth if your wanting to sell but if you have the player under contract you dont HAVE to sell for that if you dont want to.  Ronaldo wasnt going to make 80 million out of man utd on his contract, nowhere near it.  It took that amount of cash to persuade utd to part with him.

Was Ashley Young on £17M per year at Aston Villa?  Was he fuck.

Some of the ridiculous transfer fees getting punted around these days are fuck all to do with players current salary multipled by duration of contract outstanding, they are way way more than that.

I don't see why the Dons should be cheated out of a good deal for Fyvie.

Was Ashley Young on £17M per year at Aston Villa?  Was he fuck.

Some of the ridiculous transfer fees getting punted around these days are fuck all to do with players current salary multipled by duration of contract outstanding, they are way way more than that.

I don't see why the Dons should be cheated out of a good deal for Fyvie.

It's obviously dependent on the number of clubs interested. Had Villa said to Liverpool for talks sake "United have basically just offered to pay up his contract" a bidding war begins, because these teams have the financial clout and the player is a proven player in one of the best leagues in the world and is an international.  As far as I can tell, Fyvie is neither of those things.

You can also not use the big transfers in football as a comparison as a lot of players have a stipulated sell on clause/amount.  I'm not sure if we have one for Fyvie, but we really should have something which would suit both us and the player.  If he does have one and it's £500k then whoever agreed the deal on behalf of AFC should be sacked.

Which leads me on to...How can Aberdeen be cheated out of a good deal for Fyvie? Aberdeen would have to agree to any fee, so how can they be cheated?

Jager is right in that the player's contract is likely to be used as a starting point. Negotiations will then kick on from there or stop altogether.

Hibs made heaps on their young players being transferred because the paid them high wages and put them on long contracts - i.e. they took a gamble that they'd manage to get them sold.

That's not quite right but it's on the right lines.  Particularly in Brown's case, it was more to do with what the buying team thought he was worth in terms of the contract they were offering.  No Hibs player was on a basic of more than £2,000 per week at that time.

Newcastle Utd and Bolton Wanderers offered good money for Brown in the transfer window previous to the one that he moved to Celtic.  The offers were refused but Hibs, and Brown's agent, used that to negotiate a better contract with Celtic.  Celtic in an attempt to stave off competition from those two clubs offered Brown a very big contract, which over the duration of it would net him personally £4m, and Rod Petrie therefore proclaimed that if Celtic were prepared to pay him that much, then that is obviously what he was worth.  Petrie played hardball knowing that Bolton had put in another offer.  Rangers weren't prepared to pay the money but Celtic were desperate to get him and so they caved in and paid up.

Similar happened with Craig Gordon and Alan Hutton's transfers to Sunderland and Spurs, and, dare I say it, Russell Anderson's transfer to Sunderland.  Doesn't happen in every case, but to look at the Fyvie situation from a buying club's point of view, he's young, talented but still a risk.  EPL clubs could afford to chuck him a 4-yr deal at £5k pw (so £1m), and if he doesn't make the cut, loan him out or cut their losses - £1m is small change to these guys these days.  At 18 yrs old, with less than 30 top team games in a poor Aberdeen FC side, nobody is going to throw him the kind of contract that will net AFC any more than the kind of figures being mentioned.  Because the wealth gap is wider than it's ever been, Scottish clubs will take the money and more young talent will be lost from our league.  I would rather keep him for another season and risk losing him for similar money or less, if only for him to develop his talent, and I wish more young players would do the same rather than drop their drawers for the first English club that comes calling.

I think Jaeger is pretty much correct. Bosman, contract law and this oddity FIFA law about buying out your contract in the 3rd last year, or whatever, have pretty much served the 'big' club interests as intended. A player is only worth the same as their contract.

As I see it though there are other contributing factors, as bb has pointed out;

The sell on clause - something the south American Spanish and Italians like so not sure if it would actually stand up to contract law in his country. 

Supply and demand - eg talented young englandshire players  playing in englandshire

Image rights - as a guess this is the reason for inflated prices of players such as Ronaldo. His contract may have been worth £35m but if you take into account the lost image rights it might be worth closer to the £80m in lost revenue

Press interest - I'm sure the previously mentioned hibs transfers of Brown and Thompson were inflated due to the daily reporting of the whole carry on by the weegia.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...