Saturday 26th October 2024 - kick-off 5.30pm

Scottish Premiership: Aberdeen v Dundee Utd

EE: McGhee rounds on Megginson

Kowalski

Aberdeen FC boss furious at Megginson

McGhee blames teenager for losing match

By Charlie Allan :wave:

Published: 30/08/2010

THERE was no hiding place for Aberdeen FC teenager Mitch Megginson today as manager Mark McGhee vented his frustration at seeing his team lose for the first time this season.

Striker Megginson, on as a second-half substitute for Chris Maguire, got in a tangle with Aberdeen FC keeper Mark Howard to present Kilmarnock’s Jamie Hamill with a gift of an injury-time winner in their SPL clash at Pittodrie.

McGhee chose to give the 18-year-old a slating in the hope that it will inspire Megginson to do better when he next plays for the Aberdeen FC first team.

“I hope Mitch felt terrible over the weekend,” he said. “I hope he had sleepness nights, staring at the ceiling thinking about the mistake he made that cost us the game.”

WTF!?  ???

Surely a bit harsh on the lad.

Just saw the highlights on sportscene. Yes he never cleared it, but what was going on with Howard? What was Diamond doing in the preceding challenge? Why did Hartley stop and look at the ref rather than chase the ball down?

I was also wondering why an experienced goalkeeper got no criticism for the part he played, and the youngster gets slated? Better communication/decision making from both players might have stopped the goal.

Some context -

“I hope he had sleepless nights, staring at the ceiling, thinking about the mistake that he made that cost us the game……When I was a player I used to lie awake agonising I had missed a scoring chance never mind making a mistake at the other end that cost my team the game. I struggled to sleep and I’d wake up really early in the morning of thoughts on how I’d let the team down the first thing in my mind. I want Mitch to be going through a bit of that, because if he does then it shows he cares.

I know he’s a young lad but as soon as he’s out there in the first team he has to expect to be treated like every one else. It’s not just Mitch’s fault our keeper might have done better as well although it looked as if he realised that Mitch had switched off and was trying to recover the situation. You could also ask why Zander Diamond and Andrew Considine- two of our most experienced defenders didn’t keep it tight at the back at such a late stage. If Mitch is made to feel bad about what happened there’s more chance he’ll learn from it….he won’t be forgiven until the next time he plays that he’s learned from what happened…..”

Perish the thought that the EE would pick out the most inflamatory quote.

Just saw the highlights on sportscene. Yes he never cleared it, but what was going on with Howard? What was Diamond doing in the preceding challenge? Why did Hartley stop and look at the ref rather than chase the ball down?

Exactly. Once again the confusion that led to the goal is caused by Diamond screwing up and being caught out of position. They played the ball forward to where Diamond should arguably have been and inexperience and indecision gave away the game.

In my opinion the next step in purging the nightmare of last season is to dump Diamond. No coincidence to me that we went over the cliff last new year when he came back. Not the main culprit to last seasons hell but another peice of the purge that has to be continued.