Friday 14th June 2024

Euro 2024 - 🇩🇪 Germany v 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Scotland - kick-off 8pm

Grant Basey

Mabe we need to look at the loan aspect differently.

Instead of us trying to loan players FROM the EPL etc, (usinmcg MM's contacts etc) we should be looking at loaning the likes of Maguire etc TO the EPL. Use those "Fergie-favours/McLeish memories" and let our "young" guys see what (in the words of Jim Bowen) "they might have won"!

Dons edge closer to Basey signing

aberdeen back on signing trail as Pittodrie youngster Ross goes to Peterhead on loan

By Michael Gannon

Published: 20/08/2010

Grant Basey: another twist in the transfer saga

More Pictures

Aberdeen are closing in on out-of-contract defender Grant Basey after Pittodrie youngster Scott Ross sealed a six-month loan deal at Peterhead.

The Basey transfer has become a saga as Dons manager Mark McGhee needs at least one more member of his playing squad to go out on loan to release the funds that will allow him to sign the former Charlton full back.

McGhee was delighted with his side’s SPL start against Hamilton last weekend but he knows he is still short of options in the full back positions.

He said: “We are still trying. Hopefully, we can move some young players in the other direction because we cannot get Basey in until we do so.

“It is frustrating because I think he can be a good player for us but that is the reality of the situation.

“Don’t get me wrong, if we do get Basey in, he will have to win his place like the rest of them, but I would still like to have him here.”

Confidence is high at Pittodrie before tomorrow’s SPL trip to St Johnstone.

Saints were impressive opponents last term, defeating the Dons twice to finish above McGhee’s side in the SPL.

The Aberdeen manager expects Derek McInnes’s side to be even tougher prospects this season.

McGhee does not want to undo the good work of last weekend. He said: “St Johnstone were a bit more direct against Hearts (in the 1-1 draw last Saturday) than they were last season.

“We have to be prepared for any eventuality. If anything I think they have improved this season and will be looking to go even better than last year.

“I am asking my players if they are going to accept a good performance as something that merely takes the pressure off and allows them to produce a lesser performance next time out.

“Are they going to go away from home and think they will be forgiven for not reaching the same levels or getting the same result or are they going to put Saturday behind them and go out with the same determination?

“I know the answer I want. The challenge is to build on the start because, if anything, it is even more important than beating Hamilton.”

Attacker Scott Vernon trained yesterday but has only an outside chance of claiming a place on the bench.

Read more: http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1879609#ixzz0x8zNFrOr

McGhee says he is still trying to get James Collins in from Villa for basically nothing (i take it thats just on loan!) Either he is paying no fee for the loan or i wonder if he wants Villa to pay his wages as well . . .

Surely getting the leftback area sorted out is the major priority? 

Mind you we have Andrew Considine  ;)

he has been sitting with an open offer from Charlton to re-sign there so he could have had a club if he wanted

They must really have offered him bollocks all money if we're the attractive option though

Who would not put their life on hold if the possibility  of signing for the famous Aberdeen came up, we are after all the greatest team the world has ever seen.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11781_6355083,00.html

Aberdeen are hoping to secure a work permit to finalise the loan signing of Udinese full-back Nikola Vujadinovic.

The 24-year-old's move to Pittodrie initially appeared to have fallen through last week, but the Dons were able to agree a season-long deal before Tuesday's deadline.

However, Vujadinovic's capture is subject to a work permit hearing on Monday as he currently does not fulfil the criteria after failing to appear in 75 per cent of Montenegro's internationals in the past two years.

Dons boss Mark McGhee is optimistic the tribunal will look kindly on the club's case as he is anxious to bring in a new left-back.

"It is a bit delicate because it is in the hands of the SFA tribunal," McGhee told the Press & Journal.

"We will have to wait and see what happens. We will put forward a good case.

"We will supply the evidence we believe will be sufficient. Vujadinovic has terrific pedigree, you do not get a five-year contract at a Serie A club unless you have ability.

"It is a position we have struggled to fill because we wanted Grant Basey, but were unable to find the funds."

• 8 months later...